Games you should hate, but don’t -

Autumnal Equinox

Bacon! Ham hocks! Spare ribs!
kiwifarms.net
Summoner

It was a launch title for the PS2, the controls and general gameplay are kinda janky and the story is pretty basic Hero’s Journey stuff, there are much better rpgs on the console but I’ve always had a soft spot for this game, warts and all. Picked it up on GOG a few weeks back to have a nostalgia trip. Haven’t played the game for about 20 years so we’ll see if I still think fondly of it

IneptRobot

Look grateful ⋮)
kiwifarms.net
Shadow the Hedgehog. Yes, it’s bad, but it’s so hilarious that I can’t hate it. Expert Mode also mitigates a good chunk of the problems with the game. If the game had a better story, better physics/controls, and the main story played out like Expert Mode, it would be okay.
I can't even think about Shadow the Hedgehog anymore without hearing the dulcet tones of Genesis Valentine
image_2021-04-21_030216.png
I remember enjoying that game far, far too much.

For me, it's DMC, the reboot thing. I fucking love Devil May Cry and I really, really expected the remake to be totally shit. And it was. I still enjoyed the gameplay, though. Despite the cringe of Vergil's ranged abortion technique and the awful, awful voice acting I still could happily sit down and play through that game again today. The only reason I stopped is because I got the platinum for myself and then for my housemate because that's how much I liked it. If they dropped a DLC for it tomorrow I'd get sucked right back into that autism in a heartbeat.
Oh and Shadowrun 2007, I fucking love Shadowrun and that game is nothing like the TTRPG but I still sunk hours into the online multiplayer, I got so stupidly good with that katana/glider/teleport/wired reflexes combo.

Last edited:

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
Shadow the Hedgehog. Yes, it’s bad, but it’s so hilarious that I can’t hate it. Expert Mode also mitigates a good chunk of the problems with the game. If the game had a better story, better physics/controls, and the main story played out like Expert Mode, it would be okay.
That game is easily one of my biggest guilty pleasures, and I honestly think the gun combat and the like worked pretty decently. Maybe it's just because I have experience with shooter games that contain maze-like environments (albeit, not the best at them), but the level design also wasn't as bad as everyone said it is either.

Sure, the plot and the like is extremely funny in all the wrong ways, but at least it's not boring. And heck, as cheesy as they are, I do have a soft spot for the themes in the game.

Akashic Retard

Just here for friends
kiwifarms.net
The first Life is Strange. I liked the soundtrack and found the game very comfy. I also kind of enjoyed the "being in highschool" kinda feel, it was nostalgic. It wasn't until the second one that it became overloaded with poz, it was pretty tolerable in the first.

Canoodler

kiwifarms.net
The Evil Within. This game has quite a few problems, wasn't well received with critics or audiences, and I do agree with a lot of the criticisms people have with this game. However I still enjoy playing The Evil Within.

X Prime

The Doubly Derivative
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, there's a lot of frustrating shit in X6 (the compactor section in Metal Shark Player's stage, the respawning mantis bots in Commander Yanmark's stage, all of the rings in Blaze Heatnix's stage), but overall it is still a fun game. Still hate the negative stage effects as you beat bosses though. If it was more like X1 where it changed aspects of stages to the benefit of the player, it would have been way better.
Mega Man X6 - lots of complaints that the game was rushed and was one of the worst in the series - I still find it enjoyable and find most of the boss battles interesting. (In some ways, Mega Man X5 seems more rushed and unfinished).
You both should try the X6 Tweaks mod. Fixes a lot of nonsense and even has a retranslation.

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
You both should try the X6 Tweaks mod. Fixes a lot of nonsense and even has a retranslation.
Thanks, does it work on the Steam MMX Legacy Collection?

One of the worst parts of X6 is how on Xtreme difficulty, enemies drop no health restores, and some levels (e.x. the Rainy Turtloid stage) actually force you to take damage in order to get through.

JamFlowMan

kiwifarms.net
Seeing Gearbox fucking up again reminded me how mucn I liked Borderlands 2. Will never defend the writing but may have put more hours into this game then any other during the Ps3 era. I'd turn down the volume, throw on music/podcast, and enjoy the gameplay.

It's the only one in the series that got its hooks in me too. 1 was fine for what it was but pre-sequel/3 did nothing for me. Especially pre-sequel having you clear the same areas over and over again got old fast.

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
Seeing Gearbox fucking up again reminded me how mucn I liked Borderlands 2. Will never defend the writing but may have put more hours into this game then any other during the Ps3 era. I'd turn down the volume, throw on music/podcast, and enjoy the gameplay.

It's the only one in the series that got its hooks in me too. 1 was fine for what it was but pre-sequel/3 did nothing for me. Especially pre-sequel having you clear the same areas over and over again got old fast.

Yeah, I played hundreds of hours of BL2, but Pre-Sequel and BL3 couldn't hold my interest at all. I don't know if I'm burned out on the series or if the later games are just missing something that the second one had, but I don't think I'll ever actually play them again.

Madre Muerte

Please give me attention
kiwifarms.net
Wipeout 3 on psx. Most people seem to agree that it's the worst in the series, but something about it makes it perfect for me.
wipeout3.png