Games you wanted to love that you just couldn't? - Or even wound up hating

Guts Gets Some

"Sword=cock" -Susumu Hirasawa
kiwifarms.net
Any games you've either bought or tried that were built up in your mind, only to be massive disappointments?

After seeing this review:
I got seriously interested in this game, despite the fair warnings that it wasn't very good. The tone, designs, and everything seemed really intriguing to me.
I'm sad to admit I paid close to 10 bucks for the only copy to find, only to find what was essentially a GTA 3 level (IE, early PS2 game) shooter game on the PS3.

But whatever, graphics don't matter with games, and honestly; the first couple missions, the game had its own unique style that I got into and I was enjoying the characters and story.
It was frustrating because of how awful the controls were, but with a little practice, your brain can adapt.

And then we got to the night scenes, which apparently were the rest of the game. Running around blind with poor aiming controls, boundaries in the dark, and don't get me started on the crowded nightclub scene, that literally took me hours and hours to get through from how broken it was. I still don't know how I even did.

And the final straw was still very early on when I had to quickly free aim on some guy in a vehicle driving towards me (on thumb sticks, mind you) before I died. You get 5 seconds and each time you fail, you have to watch the cutscene before it. Every. Freaking. Time.
I gave up and begged for anyone to resell it to, even for half the price I paid. And funny enough, the guy who was dumb enough to buy it actually tried to claim it wouldn't play and wouldn't offer proof. (He knew it sucked and didn't want it anymore, and apparently thought I was like Blockbuster video, to just send it back).
A true testament to the game's design, I'd say.

It's funny, I feel this would work as a movie, as the story and characters were interesting, but man, it should've been given to a far better developer.

And horrifically enough, it is getting a movie. Starring (really) Bruce Willis and Jamie Foxx. :cryblood:
Funny, neither one of them looks black to me. But.... maybe it'll be good?:optimistic:

TL;DR
Don't buy this game, even if you think it looks interesting. Seriously, don't. Any fun is brisk, at best.

Doomfist

kiwifarms.net
Backbreaker. It was an entirely Euphoria physics based american football game. The tackles were everything the dev promised they would be, they looked FUCKING AWESOME in comparison to the Madden games that were coming out at the time.

Gameplay, camera, and controls were total ass and made the game unplayable.

Also RE:5 really let me down after how awesome 4 was. I can't quite put my finger on what it was though that I didn't like.

scorptatious

It only gets worse from here on in...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Star Wars KOTOR 1.

The game has some pretty awesome moments, but in between those moments are monotonous and boring levels and flat characters and a disjointed combat system.

And don’t even get me started on that slog of a final area.

lil bitch

Intel Chipset Inside™
kiwifarms.net
danganronpa another episode; ultra despair girls. i love danganronpa so fucking much, but holy shit, spike chunsoft should never try to make a third-person shooter unless they know what they're doing. the controls are clunky, especially the auto-aim, you can't save whenever you want like in the other games, there's audio problems, gameplay inconsistencies, only thing that's going for it is the story which isn't too bad.
i played most of it but then ditched it back in august. couldn't deal with it.

The Shadow

Friendly Neighborhood Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
The Splatterhouse reboot had a lot of potential. Art design was great, levels were diverse. Voices were great.

Unfortunately it was unpolished and frustrating to play.
Star Wars KOTOR 1.

The game has some pretty awesome moments, but in between those moments are monotonous and boring levels and flat characters and a disjointed combat system.

And don’t even get me started on that slog of a final area.
People always talked about how great the writing in KOTOR was...it was hokey and cliche as all hell. Which I guess makes it a pitch-perfect Star Wars entry. But it was a step down from Baldur's Gate II for sure. And the gameplay was inexcusably boring despire sharing a lot of code with Neverwinter Nights, which was incredibly addictive for me.

Akumaten

kiwifarms.net
I wanted to like Tales of the Abyss and play it on the 3DS, but I couldn't stand Luke's character at the first few hours.
Another was Star Ocean 3. I borrowed it for a week, but after dealing with some of the crazy stipulations on Battle Trophies, some of the combat, item use, and a part I had to maneuver the control stick a certain way to use a puzzle flute mechanic, I turned it off.
Ironically after that, my PS2 broke down.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
It's far from "dislike" but I'm not nearly as into Nier: Automata as I thought I would be when I finally came into possession of a PS4. Maybe it's just that the initial mission that I had to play at kiddy difficulty just to get to the main game which left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think I'm a third of the way through that game. I bought Tales of Berseria in October (two months later) and it's been mostly what I've been playing ever since (even after getting two more games as Christmas presents).

Otis Boi

Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
Witcher 3 and to a lesser extent Kingdom Come I really can't get into RPGs if i cant create my own character.I guess it how i feel connected to the world and not like just someone piloting another body. I heard they where really good so I tried so hard to play them but I always found myself so bored. I'll admit the writing was good but I just never had any attachment to anyone.

Guts Gets Some

"Sword=cock" -Susumu Hirasawa
kiwifarms.net
Another of mine was Fire Emblem Tales of Valentia.

I'm only new to FE, starting with Awakening and Fates and I loved those games and wanted more. When this new one slipped under my radar, I was quick to rush to buy a copy. Loved the designs and was so excited for another.

Then I learned it was essentially just a remake of a much older game.... and it showed. The designs and graphics and all that were great, as you'd expect, but it didn't seem they really improved the old gameplay. No support, pair up, weapon types, basic classes and animations, etc etc, and I honestly tried to get into it. I put a good 2 serious hours into it, hoping to adapt and get into it.... and it just never happened.
The only addition they added and improved was some mechanic to go back a turn, but I just couldn't get into it. And I absolutely hated the 3D town navigation.

I really don't think me and classic FE would mesh well, even when remade. So needless to say, I didn't keep it.

And it's only made my want of the newest Switch game even more-so. Three Houses.

Reactions: Akumaten

AnthroFlea180

Low Carb Parasite
kiwifarms.net
FE awakening, after seeing fan art of it around for some years gave it a go and I really couldn't stand the couple system and didn't feel very interested into the characters so it felt like I was missing out on what most people seemed to like??

Can't say I didn't enjoy the game or wouldn't try another one though.

• Agree
Reactions: Piss

Piss

kiwifarms.net
FE awakening, after seeing fan art of it around for some years gave it a go and I really couldn't stand the couple system and didn't feel very interested into the characters so it felt like I was missing out on what most people seemed to like??

Can't say I didn't enjoy the game or wouldn't try another one though.
My thoughts exactly. The characters didn't seem very likeable, but you had to play matchmaker, or else you were at a severe disadvantage in combat.
That game didn't have any queers, either, but somehow it didn't cause a shitstorm. :thinking:

Agent Nahman Jayden

Acts like he's from space
kiwifarms.net
Ever since it came out, I've always said that The Evil Within could've been a great game; the monster designs were cool, it seemed dark and gritty, it had Jackie Earle Haley as the villain, hiding from enemies much stronger than you, sneaking around as you delve into the fractured mind of a psycho and by the guy that made RE:4. ...Suffice it to say, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I hyped it up to be.

This is gonna sound stupid but I was unnecessarily pumped up for Escape Dead Island and that ended up being fuckin' boring as all get out.

DangerousGas

Chaotic Bald
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bloodborne. It's full of the most edgelord bullshit going, and it just plain isn't fun. Listening to some pseudo-slavic tart prattle on about shit being 'in ze blut' all the time while having to time incredibly slow and unwieldy attacks against utterly ridiculous enemies is just, well, tedious.

The scenery was nice, but the character design was just 5edgy12me.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino