Games you wanted to love that you just couldn't? - Or even wound up hating

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Batman: Arkham Knight. I mean, whenever the game feels like not forcing the fucking batmobile down your throat it is just as polished and well-executed as Asylum, City and Origins were.

But that's only like 40% of the total game, and the other 60% is just pure tedious batmobile shit. No, I don't want to play hide and seek with tanks, no I don't want to disarm and defend this mine for the twentieth time, it's a BATMAN game, let me be Batman and not his goddamn car.
I tried Asylum and City and just couldn't get into it. The game feels like it plays it self. Feels like there's no challenge and I'm just on a tour rather than playing a game and figuring shit out for myself.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1 person
F

FH 721

kiwifarms.net
I tried Asylum and City and just couldn't get into it. The game feels like it plays it self. Feels like there's no challenge and I'm just on a tour rather than playing a game and figuring shit out for myself.
Well then you're a faggot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Mad at the Internet
Reactions: Yaoi Zowie
P

PT 522

kiwifarms.net
Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor is a legitimately very fun game despite its premise [a game about picking up trash]. I like its aesthetics, its music, the writing, the focus on inventory management, and so on. But there is a game-breaking glitch that hasn't been patched out since it launched years ago that I keep running into where a quest item for the main plot isn't added to your inventory. It affects a quest that involves a rather long process of collecting 9 unique items, too, which can be expensive or rare drops depending on your luck, so it's not like you can just delete your save and start over quickly and hope you won't run into the glitch again.

I've tried following tutorials to save edit a random item into the quest item, all of which resulted in the game being broken in a different way [the item menu opens on boot and can't be closed or interacted with until you force quit and delete your game]. It's not my first time save editing and I'm not a moron, and I've tried a lot of different methods to edit, so maybe the tutorials are out of date or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Shadow

What a time to be alive.
kiwifarms.net
Strange, I only liked the first one, even the flood and the library. 2 and 3 wasn't that engaging, going into 3 I sort of knew what to expect from the previous one and Halo 2 was such a disappointment to me. I have no idea why though, it just didn't click, maybe I wasn't fond of the maps/levels. Reach seemed to have potential but I stopped playing that not far into it as I more or less stopped playing games around then, the games after that I have never touched.

So Halo 2 was a game I really, really wanted to like but just didn't feel when playing it. :feels:
1 I found okay, it just dragged in spots. 3 I found kind of dull. 2 had that tank level on the bridge and I was hooked.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
AssCreed as a series. The first one was branded as being historical stealth and I was excited cuz I love stealth games as a genre but I played about two hours of the first one and couldn't stand it. It was incredibly boring and repetitive and really has no stealth aside from blending.
I was foolish enough to buy the first 5, and while they weren't awful, they fail so hard in sound design and redundancy, and since I played in order, I knew by the time I got to 3 that this was total nonsense desperately failing to attempt to be deep. When I found out the whole crux of the story was 2012, I rolled my eyes. Revelations and 3 were especially hard to get through, with how boring they were. I had to take years off, and I only have Black Flag and Rogue to get to, and then I'm done. The series is schlock, and I don't know why it's as popular as it is, to be honest. Given that it's another annual series, I dislike it even more.

Honestly? Probably the Witcher 3. I picked it up during a sale a while back although I didn't have a decent enough rig to play it back then. When I first put together my new machine TW3 was one of the first in my DL queue, I wanted to see it play in its full glory. I played it for like ten hours but I just couldn't get into it. I dunno, it's just not my type of game. The gameplay feels weird and off putting to me, the movement in particular. I can admit that that's more of a personal gripe and I'm able to see that there is a fantastic story underneath it all. Maybe I'll go back to it one day and be proven wrong but for right now, nah.
You're not alone. Due to reviews, it was one of my pack in titles with my PS4 purchase, and while I haven't really touched it, I have played the first hour or so, and I'm conflicted. I want to like it, but I don't like the action RPG style and it seems overly complicated. Too easy to get lost. I'm not as impressed as I was hoping, but I'll give it another honest shot once I have more time for it.

Steins Gate. I do like my visual novels but this one bored me to tears. I did like the humour but it was such a drag. What pissed me off the most was the second half (the end chapter 5 or 6 I forget). Although I played it two years ago, I have forgotten most of it (for the best).
I made the unfortunate mistake of buying the """"game""""" before I watched the anime, and it turns out, I detested the anime and then I was stuck with this piece of shit and 50 bucks. It is a physical Switch copy, so I will resell it eventually.... but goddammit. Never buy things before you're actually a fan. Or else you learn the lesson the hard way.

Kinda funny it started out as virtual novel, made into an anime, and then they just remade the virtual novel WITH the anime, haha.

Bayonetta. Just couldn't get into it.
That's a shame. Was it too hard or something? I know it can feel frustrating at first, but one you actually get the hang of it, it's addicted and rewarding as hell. I thought a surprising amount of background detail went into just an action game, even if the story is complete schlock by the end; the characters and lore remain pretty good on top of a fantastic and challenging action system.

Bioshock Infinite.
Hey, remember that amazing, tense atmosphere that really pulled you in? Remember that feeling of isolation and being trapped thousands of feet under water with a bunch of junkies trying to kill you and interesting characters trying to manipulate you? fuck that shit. CLOUDS! BRIGHT COLORS! ROMANCE! WAVE SHOOTING! Ugh.
Funny, because this is exactly how I felt playing Bioshock 1. I absolutely loathed the setting of Rapture, tight, claustrophic, horror, and so dark I could barely see anything; add in bullshit hacking and I couldn't play much of it.

I loved Infinite for all the reasons you didn't. It's literally the only FPS I can say I genuinely like. Or have played the whole way through.

And an update for me (surely lots of new games have dropped to bring this topic back to relevancy too):
Just Cause 4.

I loved Just Cause 2, 3 even more, so I was surprised to see 4 was out and I didn't even know. And in a page taken right out of Ubisoft's AC handbook, desperate to make 4 appear as a NEW game, they gave up the perfect weapon controls of 3 to implement absolutely pointless and bullshit grappling hook extensions. OMG, IT HAS BALLOONS NOW!1!11 And other stupid shit.
The hook is transportation and maybe a makeshift weapon like 3. That's all it ever needed. It totally reminded me of AC Revelations' fascination with pointless "bombs" to make it seem 'new'. Same shit.

I liked the new mission structure of objectives vs just destroying chaos objects, but the whole interface was confusing to me. The shooting and weapon changing sucked because of replacing those controls with stupid hook attachments, I had to quit. I ended up hating it. I didn't even get to the tornado and weather shit.

Such a letdown. Stop ruining great controls for implements that we simply don't need. If you're THAT desperate to make your sequel look 'new', it shouldn't have been released as quickly as it was. That's my take.

JektheDumbass

kiwifarms.net
That's a shame. Was it too hard or something? I know it can feel frustrating at first, but one you actually get the hang of it, it's addicted and rewarding as hell. I thought a surprising amount of background detail went into just an action game, even if the story is complete schlock by the end; the characters and lore remain pretty good on top of a fantastic and challenging action system.
It could be at the time I still had a crappy tube TV and could not read the text on screen nor could I distinguish what buttons the game was telling me to push. I got to the point where you had to do a certain number of special moves in a time period, except the timer was an indistinguishable blur and the text was completely illegible. I probably could have gotten past that but that's when games started making text that can't be read on non-HD TVs and I was pissed so I returned it to the game rental place early.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
It could be at the time I still had a crappy tube TV and could not read the text on screen nor could I distinguish what buttons the game was telling me to push. I got to the point where you had to do a certain number of special moves in a time period, except the timer was an indistinguishable blur and the text was completely illegible. I probably could have gotten past that but that's when games started making text that can't be read on non-HD TVs and I was pissed so I returned it to the game rental place early.
That's an odd issue. I don't remember any of the text being small or unclear. Sounds like a really shit TV, but bad timing I guess. If you ever get a chance to play it proper, you should give it another try.

agility_

kiwifarms.net
Bayonetta was fun and addicting, and so infuriating in every repetitive aspect that I had to give up. It's like I have a mindlock with anything platinum games does. I had the same issue with MGS revengeance. I'm fucking scared of starting vanquish and finding out it's 3 for 3 with these guys.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
The original Shadow Warrior. The platforming segments and that rc car thing make getting to the good stuff a chore.

The console version of Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories. Grew up with the GBA version, so that's the main reason. Can't stand how the game feels in 3D.

Elite Beat Agents. Too musically exceptional to git gud. Love the idea, too much of a scrub. Gave it to someone who, last I heard, loved it.

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
Just Cause 4.

I loved Just Cause 2, 3 even more, so I was surprised to see 4 was out and I didn't even know. And in a page taken right out of Ubisoft's AC handbook, desperate to make 4 appear as a NEW game, they gave up the perfect weapon controls of 3 to implement absolutely pointless and bullshit grappling hook extensions. OMG, IT HAS BALLOONS NOW!1!11 And other stupid shit.
The hook is transportation and maybe a makeshift weapon like 3. That's all it ever needed. It totally reminded me of AC Revelations' fascination with pointless "bombs" to make it seem 'new'. Same shit.

I liked the new mission structure of objectives vs just destroying chaos objects, but the whole interface was confusing to me. The shooting and weapon changing sucked because of replacing those controls with stupid hook attachments, I had to quit. I ended up hating it. I didn't even get to the tornado and weather shit.

Such a letdown. Stop ruining great controls for implements that we simply don't need. If you're THAT desperate to make your sequel look 'new', it shouldn't have been released as quickly as it was. That's my take.
Every game Avalanche has released after JC2 has got a divided, at best, reception. What are they going to do at this point, they were set to be the next Bethesda and they blew it (that ended up being CDProject Red instead.)

• Informative
Reactions: Guts Gets Some

witthel

Eternally restless
kiwifarms.net
YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY-

I love Yume Nikki, and when I heard that they were making a 3D version/sequel, I was excited to play it. But then I did and it felt like a watered down version of INSIDE except with features and elements from the original game.

At least I managed to get it for discount instead of paying full price.

Last edited:

Anchors-Away

kiwifarms.net
Tokyo 42

Fantastic music, delightful visuals and flair. Team seemed to pay tribute to it's influences rather well...

However it's not optimised in the slightest (consoles have it worse) and it's camera seems to wrestle a whole bunch with the controls.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Every game Avalanche has released after JC2 has got a divided, at best, reception. What are they going to do at this point, they were set to be the next Bethesda and they blew it (that ended up being CDProject Red instead.)
Avalanche still have that hunting game using the Avalanche engine. It's one of the dadest games around. Way back I played it for a couple of hours and I think I saw one or two deers. There was a relaxing charm in walking around a forest looking at animal feces.
huntercallofthewild.jpg

Ex-Avalanche people are also making Biomutant, another Swedish post-apocalyptic game with anthropomorphic mutating animals... just like Mutant: Year Zero, but they had the actual license to the classic Swedish Mutant RPG series. Year Zero should not be confused with Generation Zero, Avalanche's own post-apocalyptic game that also takes place in Sweden.

wtf

ZehnBoat

fromm
kiwifarms.net
YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY-

I love Yume Nikki, and when I heard that they were making a 3D version/sequel, I was excited to play it. But then I did and it felt like a watered down version of INSIDE except with features and elements from the original game.

At least I managed to get it for discount instead of paying full price.
i was excited for it too
it's not a bad game, but i wanted a big wide open world to explore

although the part in the store with the mannequins gave me the best scare in a game i've ever had

Varis

Fascistnating
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
SOMA is a game clearly made with love. The world is beautiful, alien and full of immaculate details. The story is deep, dark and depressing. The monsters are absolute assholes that fuck up your vision if you even glance at them, and they spawn just at the right time to keep you on your toes. You get almost claustrophobic when moving through the underwater bunkers, and when you step outside, you fear you might get snatched up by something huge lurking in the waters.

But the game feels like a walking simulator. You are constantly moving from place to place, looking for stuff, picking up shit, dropping it somewhere, all the while chatting with your personal pokedex or gathering tidbits on how the humanity finally went to shit. Now, this isn't too different from Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but Amnesia had puzzles that you couldn't solve by smashing your face into them.

I want to like SOMA, but fucking puzzles, man. I need my puzzles.

ZehnBoat

fromm
kiwifarms.net
SOMA is a game clearly made with love. The world is beautiful, alien and full of immaculate details. The story is deep, dark and depressing. The monsters are absolute assholes that fuck up your vision if you even glance at them, and they spawn just at the right time to keep you on your toes. You get almost claustrophobic when moving through the underwater bunkers, and when you step outside, you fear you might get snatched up by something huge lurking in the waters.
the main character pissed me off because he couldn't grasp the difference between what is essentially 'Cut and Paste' and 'Copy and Paste'

• Agree
Reactions: Varis
XCOM 2: I really liked the idea of going from preventing an invasion with a well-funded, high tech organization to repelling an occupational force with what (should’ve been) a ragtag team of freedom fighters and XCOM veterans. Unfortunately, what I got was a buggy, load-heavy mess. The RNG also makes the Long War mod unplayable, since a single missed shot can result in you losing your entire squad. That, and losing certain soldiers at certain stages of the game can pretty much ruin you. It’d be bearable if the game didn’t run like garbage 70% of the time.

Halo 4: I enjoyed the Spartan Ops, but everything else just fell flat for me. The Prometheans were not that fun to fight against and the level design was really disappointing. I felt the Didact had some potential as a villain to me, but that didn’t end up happening. It always felt like 343 was trying too hard to differentiate themselves from the OG Bungie crew, rather than draw inspiration from everything that made first three games so special. Oh, and QTE had no reason to exist in this game.

Sigma

Eighteen Inches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the main character pissed me off because he couldn't grasp the difference between what is essentially 'Cut and Paste' and 'Copy and Paste'
To be fair, Simon canonically has brain damage so I guess that could explain things.

Julias_Seizure

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
The Outer Worlds.
Got it because obsidian made it and i liked Tyranny/Fallout new vegas and thought the Sci-fi Dystopian setting of it sounded interesting.

Liked the first area because they mostly took it seriously and choices felt like they mattered but then i went to the next planet which felt like the same thing but more drawn out of nothing really happening and then after that your already pretty much at the end already

The ending only gives you 2 choices the good guy choice of thawing a bunch of frozen colonists and dropping them into an already starving colony and hoping that theyll fix everything or the terrible evil choice of freezing a bunch of people so that they arent so short on food and have more time to actually fix the food problem.

Tags
None