Games you wanted to love that you just couldn't? - Or even wound up hating

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
Steins Gate. I do like my visual novels but this one bored me to tears. I did like the humour but it was such a drag. What pissed me off the most was the second half (the end chapter 5 or 6 I forget). Although I played it two years ago, I have forgotten most of it (for the best).

Red Dead Redemption. I was hyped, expecting heists and the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. All I got was fetch quests. The setting and voice acting was great though. I had to force myself to finish this game.

The World Ends With You. Back on the DS, with all the rave reviews I thought I check it out. Played 1 hour and dropped it. Maybe in the future I will go back to it. But at the time, I didn't like the combat.

Reactions: Piss

A Witty Name

A Witty Title
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The entire Ratchet & Clank series.

I wanted to love the original trilogy so much because the gameplay was so promising. In the end, it just could not carry each game through all the other issues I had that kept popping up with every single game.

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IL-2. I want to love it, I want it to be more engaging and fun than War Thunder, but it never is. The flight model is iffy at times, it doesn't handle a lot of weapons with any real accuracy and it's so up its own ass in the multiplayer arena that it's impossible to love.

I really hope DCS gets some better WW2 stuff soon, I would kill for a good P-40 sim in North Africa

Ace Combat Assault Horizon

I love Ace Combat and I love fighter jets, pretty simple right? Try as I might I could not enjoy this game and I beat it multiple times. I couldn't even enjoy it ironically as some over the top American movie in the vein of Iron Eagle. The most fun I had was doing the one rocket mission co-op with people but that wasn't enough to save the game. The helicopter missions were AWFUL: and the gun turret mission was absolutely pointless. The music was good but that's a given with any Ace Combat game.
I feel that, its an okay arcade sim, but the QTE shit and the chopper missions were way out of place and you could tell they didn't know what they wanted to do with it, aside from trying to get a few CoD players to come over.

I don't mind the plot though, since every Ace Combat game has been fun to play but with a terrible anime story that makes me want full on nuclear war to wash over their gay little weeby planet everytime someone starts talking about the concept of war, peace or love

Reactions: The Shadow

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
Gothic 1 and 2.
The story was interesting. I liked how I was just some random prisoner instead of THE CHOSEN ONE. The world and factions were interesting enough. The stats were incredibly simplistic but, they didn't dampen things for me too much. What really killed any desire to play any further was the control systems. Hold down mouse one then press up,left,right to attack or press back to block. I can't dodge and when I'm holding down the mouse button I may as well be rooted into place. No thanks.

The Shadow

Is it a really evil-looking doorstop?
kiwifarms.net
IL-2. I want to love it, I want it to be more engaging and fun than War Thunder, but it never is. The flight model is iffy at times, it doesn't handle a lot of weapons with any real accuracy and it's so up its own ass in the multiplayer arena that it's impossible to love.

I really hope DCS gets some better WW2 stuff soon, I would kill for a good P-40 sim in North Africa

I feel that, its an okay arcade sim, but the QTE shit and the chopper missions were way out of place and you could tell they didn't know what they wanted to do with it, aside from trying to get a few CoD players to come over.

I don't mind the plot though, since every Ace Combat game has been fun to play but with a terrible anime story that makes me want full on nuclear war to wash over their gay little weeby planet everytime someone starts talking about the concept of war, peace or love
I want an autistically detailed P-40 experience covering the Flying Tigers missions in a sim. Or just something where I get to fly a P-38. I like those yaw-canceling props.

Reactions: TiggerNits
The Far Cry games.

On paper it sounds like a great game - open world, you run around causing havoc and doing side quests, random missions, etc. There's unlocking and upgrades and shit.

In reality the game feels so lifeless and boring it actually boggles my mind. There is no sense of urgency or risk, the missions are all bland and you can tell it desperately WANTS to be something, but it just falls flat so much.

I've played FC 2 through 5 and literally every game has been the exact same product with a tile swap for different locales.

ZehnBoat

Good for health, Bad for education
kiwifarms.net
Bio shock 3
i recently played BSI for the first time since i last beaten it (it's been years)
god, i don't know what i saw in it
my first time through it felt really good and magical
and now that the luster is gone and i can see the game as a series of systems, it's just... ugh
why do i only have two guns? why are so many of the vigors alike? (are they called vigors, i forgot)
why is every fight basically the same? WHO THOUGHT THE GHOST FIGHTS WERE A GOOD IDEA?!
the only bits of lore that is interesting is fitzroy's reaction to your character, the luteses experiments ("My apple simply failed to fall" is the best line in the game, and it's not needed for the plot)

Reactions: BeanBidan

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want an autistically detailed P-40 experience covering the Flying Tigers missions in a sim. Or just something where I get to fly a P-38. I like those yaw-canceling props.
Yeah, I get that. I feel like the North African campaigns desperately need some good sims though. The Russian devs have done the Eastern front to death and the US and British ones have really done nuts with the Western Front and Pacific, but no one really has anything for flying P-40Es, Fs and fucked up Hurricanes against Rommel's boys

The Shadow

Is it a really evil-looking doorstop?
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I get that. I feel like the North African campaigns desperately need some good sims though. The Russian devs have done the Eastern front to death and the US and British ones have really done nuts with the Western Front and Pacific, but no one really has anything for flying P-40Es, Fs and fucked up Hurricanes against Rommel's boys
This goes in general for all styles of games and not just flight sims. I played the hell out of Sniper Elite 3 just for its North Africa setting.

And totally not because I got extra points for ball-shots.

wrangled tard

kiwifarms.net
Pathologic. It's atmosphere is amazing and I love the story but the gameplay is so fucking bad. I'm excited for the remake/sequel, downloading the alpha now.

Reactions: Zero0

Jangarango

Get in line, ladies
kiwifarms.net
Almost all Mario games, except the Mario Kart games, mainly because I have a lot of memories of playing the Wii version with my best friend (the Switch version is cool but I still miss the Wii one). Idk why but I just can’t stay interested in any of them when I start playing. I usually wind up putting them down after playing for 10-20mins.

This includes any Smash game. I honestly could give a shit about playing them.

I don’t mind watching KH games be played and kept up with the lore as much as I could, but I’m not interested in playing them anymore. I invested most of my time into Days because it was the only game I could play on my own (I played the others on a friend’s PS2), and now I just don’t have the patience or attention for any of the games.

All of the Assassin’s Creed games bore me to tears, as do most AAA games these days.

silky

The worst kind of autistic
kiwifarms.net
The Witness. I am a huge fan of the Myst games and had heard that the Witness was similar, so I was excited to play it. Other than being set on an island with no other people, it’s not similar at all, it’s just endless line puzzles. Occasionally you walk from one area of line puzzles to another area of line puzzles. That’s the game. People were jizzing themselves over the “atmosphere” but there’s no real story, you don’t discover what happened on the island, or why the puzzles are even there in the first place. In the Myst games the puzzles are connected to the game world, there’s a logic behind them. In The Witness the puzzles may as well be crosswords or sudoku or a fucking Candy Crush clone, it wouldn’t be any more out of place than the line puzzles already are.

To be honest, I think I would’ve enjoyed it more if it had been a basic mobile puzzle game: just the line puzzles with all the pretentiousness cut out. As it was, I’d been expecting something more and was left disappointed.

Reactions: shartshooter

Crocophile

Θώθ what's this?
kiwifarms.net
Skyrim. Like all the hate and memes about it and Bethesda aside, I loved Morrowind more than I loved my own mother, and it probably has as big of an impact on me growing up too. I'm talking about playing it every single day of my life. I think I was probably still too young and pure to be disappointed in Oblivion, for all it's faults. Even nowadays I can go back and play it and feel actual, unironic joy. It's fun, even if ugly and goofy it's in a way that makes it endearing. Both of those games are full of fun characters and memorable quest lines and I just love living in the worlds they built. I even really like ESO and the card game, that's how much I'm invested in the series.

Skyrim though is just.... tedious. I don't like it. I don't like the version of Tamriel it made. I don't like any of the characters. I don't like the factions. I don't like the quests. None of them are even very memorable. The combat is improved in a lot of ways over the old dice roll system, but it's still not really 'fun' and stripping away all the RPG elements kinda sucks. The big dragon fights get boring fast. Everything else gets stale soon after. I tried every kind of 'challenge' and 'theme' and 'rp' build to add excitement and novelty to the game and I just can't get into it. I still haven't actually finished it, every time I try I peeter out about half way through the main quest because I'm just.... so bored. I almost finished Dawnguard, because the chick who follows you around at least kinda kept my attention, but even that didn't hold. Never did the return to Solstehim DLC even though Bloodmoon was my favorite part of Morrowind. I just could not give a fuck.

I am staff on a well-known elder scrolls fansite too. And I haven't finished the best selling game in the franchise. This is my dark secret I keep from everyone.

c-no

Minnesota Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bioshock 3. Trailers made it look interesting and the idea of fighting in a sky based society was also interesting. When going through gunplay, it felt very meh. I'll probably give it another try but I don't have high hopes for it.

Half-Life 2. If I played this when it first came out, young sperg me would probably like it. Got my hands on it when the Orange Box was a thing and the game itself was okay. Won't deny its innovations but its not as great as its predecessor. Combat is okay and Ravenholme was fun and the gravity gun was a lot of fun as well. Still, the game isn't really as great as I thought it would be.

Skyrim. Like all the hate and memes about it and Bethesda aside, I loved Morrowind more than I loved my own mother, and it probably has as big of an impact on me growing up too. I'm talking about playing it every single day of my life. I think I was probably still too young and pure to be disappointed in Oblivion, for all it's faults. Even nowadays I can go back and play it and feel actual, unironic joy. It's fun, even if ugly and goofy it's in a way that makes it endearing. Both of those games are full of fun characters and memorable quest lines and I just love living in the worlds they built. I even really like ESO and the card game, that's how much I'm invested in the series.

Skyrim though is just.... tedious. I don't like it. I don't like the version of Tamriel it made. I don't like any of the characters. I don't like the factions. I don't like the quests. None of them are even very memorable. The combat is improved in a lot of ways over the old dice roll system, but it's still not really 'fun' and stripping away all the RPG elements kinda sucks. The big dragon fights get boring fast. Everything else gets stale soon after. I tried every kind of 'challenge' and 'theme' and 'rp' build to add excitement and novelty to the game and I just can't get into it. I still haven't actually finished it, every time I try I peeter out about half way through the main quest because I'm just.... so bored. I almost finished Dawnguard, because the chick who follows you around at least kinda kept my attention, but even that didn't hold. Never did the return to Solstehim DLC even though Bloodmoon was my favorite part of Morrowind. I just could not give a fuck.

I am staff on a well-known elder scrolls fansite too. And I haven't finished the best selling game in the franchise. This is my dark secret I keep from everyone.
Skyrim itself is one I also can't really bring myself to love, at least not on the same level as Morrowind. Fun as it is, the factions aren't really memorable as they were in previous games. Stripping away RPG elements to make it more accessible didn't really help with builds beyond some perk system that simplified the hell out of it. One can critique Morrowind for all its faults but it at least made exploration fulfilling. Skyrim's dungeons aren't as fulfilling as Morrowind and its tacked on puzzles were just meh in particular.

Reactions: Crocophile

vertexwindi

Ohhh~ banana
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Witness. I am a huge fan of the Myst games and had heard that the Witness was similar, so I was excited to play it. Other than being set on an island with no other people, it’s not similar at all, it’s just endless line puzzles. Occasionally you walk from one area of line puzzles to another area of line puzzles. That’s the game. People were jizzing themselves over the “atmosphere” but there’s no real story, you don’t discover what happened on the island, or why the puzzles are even there in the first place. In the Myst games the puzzles are connected to the game world, there’s a logic behind them. In The Witness the puzzles may as well be crosswords or sudoku or a fucking Candy Crush clone, it wouldn’t be any more out of place than the line puzzles already are.

To be honest, I think I would’ve enjoyed it more if it had been a basic mobile puzzle game: just the line puzzles with all the pretentiousness cut out. As it was, I’d been expecting something more and was left disappointed.
It is explained what happened on the island or why the puzzles are there but the answer is so unsatisfying that it's honestly not worth the trouble.

I would've liked Jonathan Blow's games a lot more if he didn't insist on being such a pretentious fuckwit in general, truth be told. Braid was a decent puzzle platformer but the super deep4u metaphors that no one will ever understand didn't add anything to the fucking game. The Witness would've made a great mobile game but it apparently needed a big detailed island and a totally meta story about video games and game development and blah dee blah. And of course he insists on adding the dumbest shit to his games like solving puzzles by waiting for hours (not hyperbolic by the way). He can argue it's valid game design all he likes, to me it's shitty filler.

Tamamo No Mae

Gaooo~
kiwifarms.net
I was hyped all the fuck up when hearing about Command & Conquer 4. C&C3 was alright enough and seeing a continuation of the story was kind of nice.
That is until I saw all the fucktarded changes they did to the game which ruined what made C&C into C&C. Removing base-building, removing resource gathering, removing massive armies and turning it into another Starcraft clone with a unit cap.
Despite all these changes...well had to try it, got into the beta they had and yeah it was just bad.

Dear god I hope they don't fuck up remastering the old games now.

Reactions: BR55 and The Shadow

Manah

...Did someone say "weeaboo"?
kiwifarms.net
Danganronpa V3. I'm not sure if it's because the Danganronpa 3 anime (which was horrible in pretty much every way. The animation was okay and the music was good) soured me on the series, or if it's because the entire game's meta-plot was basically the same thing as Hotline Miami 2's but infinitely less elegant in how it was presented, but I love the first two games, gave away my copy of v3 because I never expect to want to play it again.

Let It Die. I really want to like what you make, Suda.

i recently played BSI for the first time since i last beaten it (it's been years)
god, i don't know what i saw in it
my first time through it felt really good and magical
and now that the luster is gone and i can see the game as a series of systems, it's just... ugh
why do i only have two guns? why are so many of the vigors alike? (are they called vigors, i forgot)
why is every fight basically the same? WHO THOUGHT THE GHOST FIGHTS WERE A GOOD IDEA?!
the only bits of lore that is interesting is fitzroy's reaction to your character, the luteses experiments ("My apple simply failed to fall" is the best line in the game, and it's not needed for the plot)
I borrowed BSI from a friend and just couldn't get what people loved so much about it. There was just... Nothing really worth getting excited over?

The World Ends With You. Back on the DS, with all the rave reviews I thought I check it out. Played 1 hour and dropped it. Maybe in the future I will go back to it. But at the time, I didn't like the combat.
Depending on what you didn't like about the combat, the phone version is pretty good from what I've heard (not too laggy or anything).

Reactions: Pointandlaugh
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino