Games you wanted to love that you just couldn't? - Or even wound up hating

Axiom Verge - got good reviews and Super Metroid is one of my all time favourites, so thought I'd really enjoy it. But it's one of the ugliest games I've ever played, with grating music and dull gameplay.

Dragon Age - certainly not a bad game, I could just never get into it.

Halo - again they are good games, but I could never get invested in the world.

Dead Rising - the AI and save system made it infuriating to play.

Reactions: Akumaten

Bunny Tracks

Addicted to a certain kind of sadness
kiwifarms.net
VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action-I love the concept, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, but I absolutely hate the dialogue and most of the characters. The game's world building is really interesting with the developer basing it off of the current state of their home country of Venezula and I really wish they focused more on that than the poor attempts at crude humor and the really gross lolicon sexbot.

• Feels
Reactions: Violence Jack

Arachnophile

"Ahuhuhuhu~"
kiwifarms.net
I really wanted to like Iconoclasts. I played it all the way to the end, waiting for it to get good. Calling this game a metroidvania is such a misnomer; the game's linear as hell. Here's the gameplay: walk into a room, look for a bolt to tweak that opens another door, then repeat. You only backtrack to previous areas like, twice, in the entire game and there are no permanent upgrades to your weapons or movement so the game never increases in difficulty or complexity.

Story is thus: you play as a mute mechanic girl and go from place to place while the people in your party violently make things worse for everyone. By the end of the game you're directly responsible for hundreds of deaths and you've de-stabilized an entire nation by killing off their religious matriarch and military officials. Good job, genius.

ProfDongs

kiwifarms.net
I really wanted to like Iconoclasts. I played it all the way to the end, waiting for it to get good. Calling this game a metroidvania is such a misnomer; the game's linear as hell. Here's the gameplay: walk into a room, look for a bolt to tweak that opens another door, then repeat. You only backtrack to previous areas like, twice, in the entire game and there are no permanent upgrades to your weapons or movement so the game never increases in difficulty or complexity.

Story is thus: you play as a mute mechanic girl and go from place to place while the people in your party violently make things worse for everyone. By the end of the game you're directly responsible for hundreds of deaths and you've de-stabilized an entire nation by killing off their religious matriarch and military officials. Good job, genius.
This is a good one. Iconoclasts stood out as either very much a passion project or out of obligation to his fans. For something that took so long to create it seemed way less intuitive than Noitu Love 2, and Legend of Princess. Never finished it though so I don't know the scope of how big the game is so comparing these might be a little unfair.

• Agree

vertexwindi

Ay yo this beat is bananas
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I liked the graphics but that was about it.

Clockwork Dragon

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mass Effect: Andromeda. I wanted to believe, and so I did, until I got into it a fair ways. It wasn't just the deliberately uggo protagonists (or really all the deliberately uggo people in the entire game-- seriously I can't think of any attractive characters), or the wonky animations. It wasn't only the pretentious, coy Buffy-speak masquerading as wit and cleverness; or the trite story line that more or less wasted some premium VAs. And it wasn't just the culture wars ideology (honestly, I should have expected it in ME:A from DA:I telling me all about trans people). It was all of that, and then learning that they had decided to not support it AT ALL going forward, and there would be no DLC or any extras to go along with the AAA price tag. Still, I learned a series of very valuable lessons there (which I have applied and continue to apply to all game purchases since then), so all was not lost.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hate to say it but Sekiro is climbing the list. I LOVE the Souls trilogy but it's just not clicking for me and the difficulty is -and I don't think I'm alone in saying this- is just way too high. Even the hardest fights in Souls they threw you a goddamn bone like allowing you to summon a helper even if you were offline. That and the conveyance of where you're supposed to go is not great. I like that open world shit, same with Souls 1 and 2, but it feels like when you get to a difficult enemy that you're massively underleveled.

• Agree
Everquest, back in the day. When I found myself literally falling asleep out of boredom waiting to finishing resting between fights, or reading a book, I realized I wasn't actually enjoying this at all.

Factorio. Normally, I really like automation games, survival games, crafting, it's all there. Played through once, just have no desire to go back.

Arcanum of steamworks bla bla bla. I liked fallout 2 a lot, I like the idea of the mix of magic and technology. Way back when I bought it when it was new, it was a fucking buggy mess. I played for a while, got sick of all the bugs, and put it down.

Then recently I picked it up, along with the fan patches and so on that fixed up the bugs. And... it's not actually all that good. Overly simplistic combat, no attempt whatsoever at balance (You could pick a skill at character creation that let you make a sword that would last you the rest of the game). Boring plot about... I dunno, gnomes enslaving orcs or something, also there are elves. Sure, sure, an ogre in a top hat is interesting the first time, but it's not enough.

Vampyre the mascarade. Very cramped "open world", again, very simplistic combat, again, seemingly no effort in balancing stuff relative to one another, packed to the fucking gills with bugs...

The Witcher 1. Was sold on it as having great, challenging combat. The reality did not meet expectations. Spamming the shield skill then getting in a couple slashes gets boring fast, but it's certainly more fun than watching the same cutscene over and over again.

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole
Warthunder - love me some hot plane on plane action and the combat had it's moments. But the length of the grind and the seeming indecision of whether to balance the game around historical data or fair gameplay made it a chore to play.

Piss

kiwifarms.net
Fire Emblem: Awakening. At this point, Intelligent Systems seems to be more interested with pandering to otakus/weebs with loli and dating sim BS, than they are at making interesting characters, a less generic plot, missions beyond just "kill all enemies" or "kill the boss", decent character designs, better writing, and actually being arsed to model feet (seriously, why do the character models have no feet?).
Yeah, I couldn't get into it either. It stabs me right through the heart that they're the same developers of Advance Wars, and how we haven't seen a new one of those in 11 years and counting.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was crappy. They eschewed the colorful, happy-go-lucky world for a post-apocalyptic wasteland that wasn't very fleshed out. Everything had muted colors, and the redone graphic style just kind of looked muddy. The writing was pretty bad, too.

Not that Advance Wars has ever had good writing, but one of the charms of that series is how stupid its worlds are. The cheery commanding officers who think nothing of sending hundreds of footsoldiers straight to their deaths just to clog bottlenecks gave the series a dark comedy tone. Sometimes they'd have hundreds of their men die just over a misunderstanding, and play it off like nothing happened.

And then Days of Ruin tries to play up a dark and serious tone, driving home early on how most of the world is dead and we need to save as many people as possible, all while churning out hundreds of soldiers to send to their deaths for the same reasons as before. The dark theme just feels like they were looking for any way possible to make the game seem different, and they lost the plot on what made Advance Wars fun.

But considering how Fire Emblem is today, a modern Advance Wars game might be more focused on trying to get into Nell's pants than tactical combat. Oh well. At least we have Mario + Rabbids.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Update: I'm starting to click with Sekiro but I still don't quite like it as much as Souls. My favorite Souls would be a toss up between 2 and 3.

The Shadow

Friendly Neighborhood Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
I've played Halo 1- Reach and still wouldn't call myself a fan of any of them except for 2, due to the fact that it's a stupid amount of fun. The others are just kinda...meh.

I like Science Fiction, I loved Marathon amd Pathways. But Halo is something I like more in concept than execution.

NARPASSWORD

The furry shemale with the Star Fox avatars
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I couldn't get into it either. It stabs me right through the heart that they're the same developers of Advance Wars, and how we haven't seen a new one of those in 11 years and counting.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was crappy. They eschewed the colorful, happy-go-lucky world for a post-apocalyptic wasteland that wasn't very fleshed out. Everything had muted colors, and the redone graphic style just kind of looked muddy. The writing was pretty bad, too.

Not that Advance Wars has ever had good writing, but one of the charms of that series is how stupid its worlds are. The cheery commanding officers who think nothing of sending hundreds of footsoldiers straight to their deaths just to clog bottlenecks gave the series a dark comedy tone. Sometimes they'd have hundreds of their men die just over a misunderstanding, and play it off like nothing happened.

And then Days of Ruin tries to play up a dark and serious tone, driving home early on how most of the world is dead and we need to save as many people as possible, all while churning out hundreds of soldiers to send to their deaths for the same reasons as before. The dark theme just feels like they were looking for any way possible to make the game seem different, and they lost the plot on what made Advance Wars fun.

But considering how Fire Emblem is today, a modern Advance Wars game might be more focused on trying to get into Nell's pants than tactical combat. Oh well. At least we have Mario + Rabbids.
In all honesty, Intelligent Systems is nowadays a mediocre company at best, because I'm pretty sure the more recent Paper Mario games would have been terrible even without Miyamoto's involvement.
They went from making Advance Wars and pre-Awakening Fire Emblem, as well as co-developing Super Metroid, to creating "tactical waifu simulator" and "New Super Mario Bros.: The RPG, except not really".

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no step on fuckign yurop
kiwifarms.net
I've played Halo 1- Reach and still wouldn't call myself a fan of any of them except for 2, due to the fact that it's a stupid amount of fun. The others are just kinda...meh.

I like Science Fiction, I loved Marathon amd Pathways. But Halo is something I like more in concept than execution.
Strange, I only liked the first one, even the flood and the library. 2 and 3 wasn't that engaging, going into 3 I sort of knew what to expect from the previous one and Halo 2 was such a disappointment to me. I have no idea why though, it just didn't click, maybe I wasn't fond of the maps/levels. Reach seemed to have potential but I stopped playing that not far into it as I more or less stopped playing games around then, the games after that I have never touched.

So Halo 2 was a game I really, really wanted to like but just didn't feel when playing it. :feels:

Hank Salagna

kiwifarms.net
Batman: Arkham Knight. I mean, whenever the game feels like not forcing the fucking batmobile down your throat it is just as polished and well-executed as Asylum, City and Origins were.

But that's only like 40% of the total game, and the other 60% is just pure tedious batmobile shit. No, I don't want to play hide and seek with tanks, no I don't want to disarm and defend this mine for the twentieth time, it's a BATMAN game, let me be Batman and not his goddamn car.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino