GameStop Deathwatch -

Who will be the first to meet Jeffery Epstein in the Afterlife?

• GameStop

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Ginsberg

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • Goku

Votes: 30 24.2%

• Total voters

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
It would be interesting to see what the vacuum of GameStop closing would create. Theres still a market for in-person game stores, and for good reason: stocking stuffers, physical gifts, collections, etc. People like being able to drive up to a store, talk to a person and get their product.
The vacuum is already created, though. Retro games/gaming has moved to mom and pop type stores as opposed to a chain, Best Buy has taken over most people's "walk in and buy a game" store, and deal minded people shop Amazon/Walmart/Gamefly.

GameStop is going to likely try some ill-concieved turnaround scheme but it's probably too late already - as a company they've spent the last 10 years making every effort to not invest in their employees or customers, so guess who isn't going to support a turnaround effort? Those same employees and customers who have already moved on to greener pastures.

The actual dying of GameStop is going to go on forever though, just because the stores are typically low-rent and very small - although ironically a large-scale store closure is something they've needed to for a long while now as there are still many locations where there are too many stores in a small area (from when they used to be a different store) that never got closed or folded.

It's sad to me because while I don't like GameStop, I like the idea of Gamestop - a dedicated video game store; as opposed to a small video game section in a big box store.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
It's sad to me because while I don't like GameStop, I like the idea of Gamestop - a dedicated video game store; as opposed to a small video game section in a big box store.
>tfw 7-14 years old and your parent takes you into GameStop and you're surrounded by hundreds of video games.
>tfw 25+ and GameStop is all but ded.
I still have a bittersweet feeling walking into GameStop, even though the one near me is mostly gaymur T-shirts and plushies. They at least moved their Switch games section away from the pathetic corner by the door.

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
>tfw 7-14 years old and your parent takes you into GameStop and you're surrounded by hundreds of video games.
>tfw 25+ and GameStop is all but ded.
I still have a bittersweet feeling walking into GameStop, even though the one near me is mostly gaymur T-shirts and plushies. They at least moved their Switch games section away from the pathetic corner by the door.
They need to rebrand back to FuncoLand and just run giant redbox style kiosks of used games for a couple bucks each. It wouldn’t quite replicate the feeling of walking into a room with 600+ loose carts in it but it would be close, fill a need and drop op costs to near zero.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Save the Loli

Azazel

Top of the Game
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

tl;dr Gamestop is looking down the barrel of chapter 11 bankruptcy, putting every chip they have on selling big (think 150% sales margins) in the next console release, even though they didn't even come close to their goals in the last cycle. Store closures and lay offs were just a means to stay afloat til then.
Failing in the next cycle will mean basically selling everything and try to survive as a much smaller company, or as I like to call it the "Hey it worked for Radioshack and Blockbuster, it will work for us too right?" strategy.

melty

Proudly sponsored by Mike Bloomberg for president
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wish I had bought puts on its stock last month when I was thinking about it. Every time I go into my local GameStop it looks like a garbage heap and smells like an anime convention. I should have gone with my instincts instead of listening to analysts talk about how it's not actually that bad.

• Optimistic
Reactions: AbyssStarer

Cure Milquetoast

ௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ
kiwifarms.net
Gavin Newsom ordered all the CA Gamestops to close. :jacewow:

Cure Milquetoast

ௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ
kiwifarms.net
Did Gavin say Gamestop or everyone? Because I can see the higher level Gamestop peopke saying "it did say us."
According to this post, the governor is specifically telling Gamestop to close.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Going to online ordering only and curbside pick up.

I think they should close. But it least this is something.
I remember when i was able to get a game that was available used, but it was located 15 states over and the store itself had to ship it out after coordinating with another store.

Browsing through their used section now thinking I might try and get whatever rare gems I'm missing for my older consoles and I'm drawing a blank on stuff I actually want. I've got over 120 games for the SNES and around the same number for the Genesis and my PS1 collection is getting up there in numbers too. The NES I may just want Dragon Warrior 4 since that's the only US Dragon Quest release I'm missing. Maybe EVO is probably the only other SNES game I have an interest in outside of maybe Lufia 2, I've got every single other RPG on the system in some legal form.

PS1 I'm going through what I have and I've gotten most of the expensive games for cheap from Gamestop already. Their used Discount offers made things like Persona 2, Suikoden 2, and Tales of Destiny 1 and 2 all cost well under 50 dollars each and each instance they came with their case.

Series like Ys only had one installment on the SNES and didn't really start being regularly localized until the PS2 era.

And Dreamcast really has nothing for me I've gotten all the RPGs on the system and stuff like Gigawing 2 and Mars matrix are being re-released in a modern collection soon. I already picked up the two Switch Shooter Collections with stuff like Gunbird 1 and 2 on them(I also have the Mobile Light Force ports of Gunbird and it's unrelated Sequel which was actually Castle Shikigami).

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
Not sure about other places, but Canadian GameStops have decided to not fight the quarantine and close.
View attachment 1196918
I went through the trouble of emailing them about what they're doing for people that have in-store pre-order pickups.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EB Games!!!

We wanted to let you know that EB Games Canada will be closing all stores effective end of business Friday March 20th. Like many retailers, we will continue to monitor COVID-19 closely with the commitment to open again at a time we feel both our team and customers are safe.

Once your local store reopens, we will contact you via phone and email to advise when you can pick-up your pre-ordered copy of the game.
Unfortunately, due to systems limitations we are not able to switch in store pre-orders to home delivery at this time.

If you have placed your pre-order for in store pick-up with a deposit, and you wish to cancel it or be refunded, you will have to do so at your local store when it reopens, and you can do this at any time in the future.

Your deposit will be held for you indefinitely. Unfortunately, we are unable to issue any refunds remotely due to security and privacy reasons as well as system limitations.

Online ordering will remain available through this time. Customers can continue to place orders on EBGames.ca. Our Distribution team has implemented improved distancing measures, incremental sanitation stations and equipment for enhanced safety. We are also working closely with our delivery partners to ensure service levels continue to meet your expectations.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding in these difficult times.

Feel free to contact us again regarding Customer Service issues by calling 1-877-442-6303.

Regards,

The EB Games Canada Customer Service Team
Basically, it's "tough shit, buy somewhere else or wait until this apocalypse is over".

Overcooked Raccoon

Mildly interesting.
kiwifarms.net
Going to online ordering only and curbside pick up.

I think they should close. But it least this is something.
They're only closing the stores if there is a mandate from the governor. MA just announced non essentials closing at noon today, and Gamestop here is now following that trend (despite their laughable attempt at being called essential).

So the curbside is only going to apply for states still active, but the moment your state follows the trend(if it does) then expect the stores to be closed in the same way.

• Informative
Reactions: BrunoMattei
Tags
None