Gardening and Plant Thread -

Banditotron

What's the ugliest part of your body?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the cold an issue? It still gets pretty cold here.
Going below freezing for a couple days won't really hurt them, and if they get snowed on they'll actually fare better than if they're not snow covered.
What's the average outdoor temperature this season where you live, by the way?
When I grow peas I plant them late winter and then pick them throughout spring, but I live in midwest America where the first half of spring tends to be above freezing in the 40⁰ to 50⁰ range. They can usually survive cold snaps but one of my pea plants around this time last year was completely obliterated by a cold snap so take that with a grain of salt.
Edit: Do you have a link to the stream where you talked about your garden? I'd like to know what your selection of veggies are.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the cold an issue? It still gets pretty cold here.
What @Banditotron said. A bit of cold won't hurt them once they're up, it can just take them a bit longer to germinate. As long as you're consistently above 45 you should be fine. I grow through winter here (Aussie) coz they can't take our summer heat.

It depends on how you transfer them outside too - you'll want to do something called hardening off. You take the babies outside for a few hours each day to get used to the outdoor climate - both the light and the temperature. Then bring them back in. They need to acclimatise out of your warm apartment.

Your banana peppers you'll want to keep a very close eye on. They do their best in temps in the 70s. They love the warmth. They're the ones likely to be most susceptible to the cold, so you'll likely keep them in longer.

Cup Noodle

Too drunk to live. Too autistic to die.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reminded me of Patrick Stewart in Safe House
I was more composed, and it only took one shot, but, internally, I felt the same way.

@Null your peas will be fine, but your peppers will prefer warmer temperatures. They thrive in the heat as long as their roots have a little water on them. The cold, not so much. If it is getting towards freezing they will likely die. If you are planning on transplanting them into the ground outside, or moving them into pots outside, make sure the daytime temps are at least in the 70's and the nighttime temps aren't dipping into the low 40's. They can withstand lower than that, but not constantly. They can live with those conditions, but will be stunted and not produce as well. Peppers like warm temps and lots of sun.

Last edited:

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't do apartment living anymore. I want a house to plant shit and to have a dog. I've got some tomato seeds I planted (not trying the stupid windowsill kits again), so hopefully some will do alright.
My advice is if you want better then do better. I know it's a lot fucking harder than that, but there are the dreamers and the doers. Be a doer. Make the plans to make it happen and do the work to make it happen and your dreams will become reality.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was a strange but wonderful thing when I realised I didn't want to live in a loft in the city so I could just walk to get coffee or a great meal or get some drinks... but instead wanted land, and quiet and to grow my own food. Who needs a bodega when you have an actual thriving veggie patch? Maybe even a chicken run...

It's completely shifted my financial plans and general life ideas. I'm fucking grateful for it, even just the new perspective.

Picklechu

kiwifarms.net
My advice is if you want better then do better. I know it's a lot fucking harder than that, but there are the dreamers and the doers. Be a doer. Make the plans to make it happen and do the work to make it happen and your dreams will become reality.
Eh, it's a matter of finding a decent rental. I don't plan on being here past May 2024 at the absolute latest, and already have a mortgage on another property that I have a tenant in, so I don't want to stretch myself too thin.

I just semi-drunkenly fantasize about having a big garden full of stuff with a puppy running through it sometimes. *yawn*

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was a strange but wonderful thing when I realised I didn't want to live in a loft in the city so I could just walk to get coffee or a great meal or get some drinks... but instead wanted land, and quiet and to grow my own food. Who needs a bodega when you have an actual thriving veggie patch? Maybe even a chicken run...

It's completely shifted my financial plans and general life ideas. I'm fucking grateful for it, even just the new perspective.
Land is the only thing that they aren't making anymore. It's a good investment.

Eh, it's a matter of finding a decent rental. I don't plan on being here past May 2024 at the absolute latest, and already have a mortgage on another property that I have a tenant in, so I don't want to stretch myself too thin.

I just semi-drunkenly fantasize about having a big garden full of stuff with a puppy running through it sometimes. *yawn*
Go get your drunken dreams. I'm the biggest drunkard, but I put in seven hours at work today, five hours on the homestead, and I'm working on getting my kids to bed. Next I ship out orders from my online business. I've been drinking for six hours now and it only makes me want to accomplish more.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh hell yea, had no idea this was a thing. I just got all my peppers for year. 4 Shisito, 2 jalapeno, 2 thai, 4 sweet.

Gardening and shit is my jam. I have a Chicago fig that's my child at this point. Dope ass jap maple. I like trees and shit.

So for the Shisito peppers, they are really need google em, but 2 are treated normally 2 I'll keep drier see if they get "more rando hot"

Genichiro

wanna meet my party bug ?
kiwifarms.net
Just wondering, are Thai Basils this autistic, or is just mine.

After the first plant withered but before blooming at its best of ability, I planted majority of the seeds in the original pot.

A month later, the ones grew up in a pot are runty and malnourished. Growth space is suspect, but there is an errant basil squatting at the roots of a larger plant in a nearby but different pot and doing absolutely fucking fine despite being an immigrant. It is almost ready for cutting too. SMH

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh hell yea, had no idea this was a thing. I just got all my peppers for year. 4 Shisito, 2 jalapeno, 2 thai, 4 sweet.

Gardening and shit is my jam. I have a Chicago fig that's my child at this point. Dope ass jap maple. I like trees and shit.

So for the Shisito peppers, they are really need google em, but 2 are treated normally 2 I'll keep drier see if they get "more rando hot"
I'm too autistic to know whether you are shit posting or if you are just an actual retard. Either way, I've been enjoying this thread. Please go shit up a lolcows thread and leave the serious stuff alone. That's what I do.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm too autistic to know whether you are shit posting or if you are just an actual retard. Either way, I've been enjoying this thread. Please go shit up a lolcows thread and leave the serious stuff alone. That's what I do.
What? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishito real thing.

Chi fig.

OK I typoed the peppers. If you don't think jalpeno's are real dunno what to say. If you check the wiki link, you can see how 1/10 go hot on drier they go down to 1/8. neat right?

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishito real thing.

Chi fig.

OK I typoed the peppers. If you don't think jalpeno's are real dunno what to say. If you check the wiki link, you can see how 1/10 go hot on drier they go down to 1/8. neat right?
Learn English. If English isn't your first language, I'll forgive you, but I have a dope ass Jap cherry. Dat bitch gib me blossums ery sprink. Bitch be poppin.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Learn English. If English isn't your first language, I'll forgive you, but I have a dope ass Jap cherry. Dat bitch gib me blossums ery sprink. Bitch be poppin.
If you worry about my english skills, at least post your worries in English.

JFC want to talk about cool plants and idiots :/

To spin things nicer, aside digging, anything can be done on garlic chives? They are invasive AF.

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you worry about my english skills, at least post your worries in English.

To spin things nicer, aside digging, anything can be done on garlic chives? They are invasive AF.
I am super retarded and super drunk. If what you said was proper english I apologize for my reaction. Otherwise get fucked. I'm not familiar with what you call garlic chives, but the best solution in getting rid of a plant is to always dig up the plant roots included. Is there any reason you can't do this and why not hit it with glyphosate if it is bothering you that bad.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just wondering, are Thai Basils this autistic, or is just mine.
Sounds like maybe an issue in the soil in the pot? How fresh was it? Could it have been spent of nutrients/organics? It might have just needed some food?

That said, Thai Basil can be a bit autistic from seed. I had some last season that was going great, seedlings were strong AF... then it just fucking died. I ended up buying a start from my garden centre and the thing went almost out of control.

Talk about cool plants with us, stay, have a cuppa, it's grand here (when Cup Noodle isn't drunk posting lol).

Garlic chives are super spreaders, and fuckers because the more you cut them the more they grow. I only ever plant them in their own pot. I love them though, cook with them all the time. You'll rip them out at the root and still they'll have spread somehow. My only advice (short of chemicals) is to pull them when you see them. Or plant something that'll take them over - but then you'll have an even bigger problem likely.

Genichiro

wanna meet my party bug ?
kiwifarms.net
Sounds like maybe an issue in the soil in the pot? How fresh was it? Could it have been spent of nutrients/organics? It might have just needed some food?

That said, Thai Basil can be a bit autistic from seed. I had some last season that was going great, seedlings were strong AF... then it just fucking died. I ended up buying a start from my garden centre and the thing went almost out of control.
Got the seeds from someone's garden. The difference is they are growing from the ground instead of from a potted plant like mine.
The second problem might be soil/water drainage problem. There are times water would just pool up on soil in the pot.

AnOminous

each malted milk ball might be their last
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I like sweet basil more, at least for growing it. I usually have two of these things and they turn out like a shrubbery with thick, woody stalks at the bottom.