Gardening and Plant Thread -

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got the seeds from someone's garden. The difference is they are growing from the ground instead of from a potted plant like mine.
The second problem might be soil/water drainage problem. There are times water would just pool up on soil in the pot.
Yeah the drainage might be an issue. It also may just be weirdly one of those ones that didn't take, ya know? I circle back to soil, coz it's pretty hard to drown Thai basil - your neighbours ground might be more fertile. It shouldn't be a problem in a pot, unless the pot's too small?

Did you take the dead plant out? Was it root bound inside?
I like sweet basil more, at least for growing it. I usually have two of these things and they turn out like a shrubbery with thick, woody stalks at the bottom.
I prefer sweet/Italian basil too. Use it a lot more. But the Thai stuff has a super distinct flavour, and we do a lot of Asian cooking and it is perfect for it.

Genichiro

wanna meet my party bug ?
kiwifarms.net
Yeah the drainage might be an issue. It also may just be weirdly one of those ones that didn't take, ya know? I circle back to soil, coz it's pretty hard to drown Thai basil - your neighbours ground might be more fertile. It shouldn't be a problem in a pot, unless the pot's too small?

Did you take the dead plant out? Was it root bound inside?
Yanked out the entire dead plant before replanting the seeds. The pot is fairly large and has a modest capacity. I think the problem could be opposite, too much soil ? The neighbor plant is growing on the roadside, looks pretty dry on the surface.

Wished thai basil is actually as hardy as holy basil, I spotted one growing in the drain, stuffed in it a pot and planted it in sandy and hard soil(only landed plot available currently) when it got too big.
Still alive, despite ditching most of its branches and maintaining a small amount of leaves, but very much alive.

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Go get your drunken dreams. I'm the biggest drunkard, but I put in seven hours at work today, five hours on the homestead, and I'm working on getting my kids to bed. Next I ship out orders from my online business. I've been drinking for six hours now and it only makes me want to accomplish more.
I think I solved the mystery of why you suddenly turned to retard anger.

SSF2T Old User

Summer Time = Summer Babes
kiwifarms.net
I don't have a green thumb. The only plants I actually like are weird shit like Cactus's and Venus Fly Traps. Places like Home Depot sell them, and whenever I'm in the mood I wind up getting one. Only problem is that they always seem to die even when I follow the instructions to the T.

Cactus: Don't over-water them, easy as fuck. A few months later it either winds up with black spots or silk worms.... wtf?!

Venus Fly Trap: Keep the clear cup-like cover on the pot because they like damp-humid places. Also make sure to wet the cup to keep the area humid and damp. Got it. A month later it died after catching a fat fly... wtf?!

Cup Noodle

Too drunk to live. Too autistic to die.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I solved the mystery of why you suddenly turned to retard anger.
Hello. My name is @Cup Noodle and I am an alcoholic. If you don't like it get fucked. If you like it get fucked also. I wish everyone many happy fucks.
I don't have a green thumb. The only plants I actually like are weird shit like Cactus's and Venus Fly Traps. Places like Home Depot sell them, and whenever I'm in the mood I wind up getting one. Only problem is that they always seem to die even when I follow the instructions to the T.

Cactus: Don't over-water them, easy as fuck. A few months later it either winds up with black spots or silk worms.... wtf?!

Venus Fly Trap: Keep the clear cup-like cover on the pot because they like damp-humid places. Also make sure to wet the cup to keep the area humid and damp. Got it. A month later it died after catching a fat fly... wtf?!
Tbh, you're trying gardening on hard mode. They sell plants like that in box stores because they look pretty and will compel you to buy one. Growing a cucumber is 100 times easier than trying to grow a cactus. I'd suggest starting at normal garden veggies and working your way up to more finicky plants.

AnOminous

each malted milk ball might be their last
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm doing very little this year. Apparently the shared garden with the neighbor isn't happening this year (which may be her last year) so I'm just planting two sweet basil plants, a mammoth jalapeno, and a havasu pepper.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I'm not really a succulent/cactus/weird stuff kinda person - mostly just like veggies and outdoor gardening. But I do know sometimes the big box stores can be a little less than active on the quality control of their plants. Silk worms are strange though.

A good local garden centre/nursery will often serve you better. Plus I find the plant nerds working there are super helpful to have a chat to about what might be going wrong. When in doubt I always go back to the holy trinity: water, light, food - are they getting the right amount of each. Can't really fuck up too hard if you're on top of those three.

Freshly Baked Socks

what would YOU do with a brain if you had one?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm growing some garlic in raised beds, with hoop-frame covers, and they're starting to poke up. Have a peek.

garlic21may.jpg

Crex Crex

Crashing this plane with no survivors
kiwifarms.net
Did you use distilled water? VFTs need to be watered with rain or distilled water (best way is by putting it in a saucer under the pot) . They need to be exposed to full, direct sunlight and need good enough airflow, so don't put covers on the pot. Also weak VFTs will have a lot of trouble digesting insects that are too large, that's probably why yours died. If the instructions you read came with the plant, ignore them. Most of the time they're misleading so that you can keep consooming plants every time you accidentally kill them.

waffle

kiwifarms.net
I'm madder than 20 mother fuckers right now. I had a dozen tomato plants that I had grown from seeds and set up hanging planter style - out the bottom of five gallon buckets. I made a nice bracket to hang them all on and hung it up with a fucking million deck screws on my nice enclosed garden that I built. Apparently I didn't use enough of them though, because about two hours after I hung the last planter it ripped down and smashed all my fucking plants to death. I've been too disgusted with life to go look at it and see if it broke the screws or ripped them out of the wood. At least they didn't land on anything and kill even more plants, although we had wind/hail last night and I think it beat a bunch of my other plants to death. Fingers crossed, too early to tell on that shit.

The whole thing is just fucking exasperating, I crippled my leg this winter and it makes doing farm labor type shit extremely hard. So loosing all those plants after working my ass off for about 8-10 hours to get them out just makes me god damn furious.

Last edited:

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm madder than 20 mother fuckers right now. I had a dozen tomato plants that I had grown from seeds and set up hanging planter style - out the bottom of five gallon buckets. I made a nice bracket to hang them all on and hung it up with a fucking million deck screws on my nice enclosed garden that I built. Apparently I didn't use enough of them though, because about two hours after I hung the last planter it ripped down and smashed all my fucking plants to death. I've been too disgusted with life to go look at it and see if it broke the screws or ripped them out of the wood. At least they didn't land on anything and kill even more plants, although we had wind/hail last night and I think it beat a bunch of my other plants to death. Fingers crossed, too early to tell on that shit.

The whole thing is just fucking exasperating, I crippled my leg this winter and it makes doing farm labor type shit extremely hard. So loosing all those plants after working my ass off for about 8-10 hours to get them out just makes me god damn furious.
I'm so sorry friend, that fucking sucks.

Prince Vegeta

Still on Namek
kiwifarms.net
I've made a front garden in September 2020. Took out all the tiles, dug out the yellow sand, put down some good soil and planted a bunch of plants good for bees 🐝 and butterflies 🦋 and put down an old hybrid acer almatum (one part ukigomo) my late grandfather bred.

20210513_105039.jpg
I've even made a wooden gate! It's been a real pleasure watching my plants start to bloom this spring.
20210513_104951.jpg

My back garden, small because I live in a city, I've been transforming into my personal collection of odd plants, aiming to please insects and supply me with herbs.
20210513_105317.jpg

Some weeding required. I'm saving that for the weekend. Grow my new garden grow!!!!

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've made a front garden in September 2020. Took out all the tiles, dug out the yellow sand, put down some good soil and planted a bunch of plants good for bees 🐝 and butterflies 🦋 and put down an old hybrid acer almatum (one part ukigomo) my late grandfather bred.

View attachment 2166026I've even made a wooden gate! It's been a real pleasure watching my plants start to bloom this spring.
View attachment 2166027
My back garden, small because I live in a city, I've been transforming into my personal collection of odd plants, aiming to please insects and supply me with herbs.
View attachment 2166032
Some weeding required. I'm saving that for the weekend. Grow my new garden grow!!!!
That is one beautiful garden, frand! So many little surprises to find. Huge props.

Prince Vegeta

Still on Namek
kiwifarms.net
That is one beautiful garden, frand! So many little surprises to find. Huge props.
Thank you! It's small beginnings yet. I've got a log of what type I planted and where and when (puzzle piece quality) so I can see what holds. The previous owner just had stone everywhere.

Also, I'm with you @waffle because a surprise harsh storm took all my carrfully planted veg seedlings after ripping the roof off their house last week. Guh, just thinking about waking up to that massacre makes me angry.

[Edit: fixed shit spelling]

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've decided I want to work up a shade garden (well, dappled shade) in an overlooked spot in our yard, given we're pushing in to winter here. Does anyone have any favourite shade-loving plants/combos?

I'm thinking plants/flowers mainly - I grow enough veg. Don't need every single area to be 'producing'. All I know for sure is that I fucking love Hellebores (little goth wankers) so will definitely be planting too many of them probably.

TurdFondler

kiwifarms.net
and hung it up with a fucking million deck screws on my nice enclosed garden that I built.
This is definitely a job for either lag bolts or carriage bolts and nuts. Screws just aren't good for hanging stuff.

I'm gonna try pumpkins and sunflowers this year along with a bunch of flowers. Never really gardened before but the stakes are pretty low so I won't be too choked if it doesn't work.

Wewladdington

kiwifarms.net
Something or someone ate ALL of sunflowers and I am very angy. Lupine looking aesthetic though. Have I mentioned how fucking based lupine is?
Also my two year old campanula has some FAT buds, this one is going to put on a show

Only two of my 8 sown okra plants have made it this far. I think it's been getting into the 40's some nights here though, I know I this plant hates the cold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• 82F72742-8F19-4004-8DB5-072E0B909D8A.jpeg
    82F72742-8F19-4004-8DB5-072E0B909D8A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 888D74B9-BAC9-433D-A140-90FD80F12187.jpeg
    888D74B9-BAC9-433D-A140-90FD80F12187.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 1EF3536A-DE13-42A0-AEF9-F09AA0A9D28F.jpeg
    1EF3536A-DE13-42A0-AEF9-F09AA0A9D28F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Prince Vegeta

Still on Namek
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have any favourite shade-loving plants/combos?
Do you want evergreens? If you want nightmare mode you can try some camellias. If they live, their flowers are great, beloved by insects, and they stay green in winter. That said they are some of the most high maintenance fussy tarts out there. On the other end of the spectrum is the buddleya. They grow exponentially, make lots of nice flowers and are impossible to kill... I've dragged mine over an entire continent in the back of a car and replanted it like 6 times. Not an evergreen though.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do you want evergreens? If you want nightmare mode you can try some camellias. If they live, their flowers are great, beloved by insects, and they stay green in winter. That said they are some of the most high maintenance fussy tarts out there. On the other end of the spectrum is the buddleya. They grow exponentially, make lots of nice flowers and are impossible to kill... I've dragged mine over an entire continent in the back of a car and replanted it like 6 times. Not an evergreen though.
Oh gosh my grandmother had so many camellias and now I think I have to plant them. What's the pruning situation like? Do they need dead-heading?

I think I'd prefer evergreens, but the odd hosta or some such won't go astray. I've got a gardenia I can relocate too. Having spent a few days thinking/planning I suspect this is going to turn into an expensive endeavour *face palm*