Gary Larson begins publishing The Far Side again - 2020 deserves this.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reading his letter gives me the feels. Chill dude, if he was born just a bit sooner, I think he could've adapted to the Internet just fine. I mean, he was able to figure out the drawing tablet just fine, and yet somehow the Internet eludes him.

Oh well, glad to see him returning to doing what he loves best. The shop reminds me I should go dig out which Far Side books we still have, Wiener Dog Art still makes me giggle uncontrollably.

Cardenio

Autistic Gaucho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reading his letter gives me the feels. Chill dude, if he was born just a bit sooner, I think he could've adapted to the Internet just fine. I mean, he was able to figure out the drawing tablet just fine, and yet somehow the Internet eludes him.

Oh well, glad to see him returning to doing what he loves best. The shop reminds me I should go dig out which Far Side books we still have, Wiener Dog Art still makes me giggle uncontrollably.
Taken from Wikipedia's entry on The Far Side:
In a personal letter included with the requests, Larson claimed that his work is too personal and important to him to have others "take control of it".
Honestly I think Gary Lawson foresaw in advance that the freedom of the internet would allow people to alter comics which he clearly abhors since he treasures his work. He pretty much predicted internet meme culture.

Think about Garfield, it was a drab inoffensive comic about a fat smug cat. Some dude on the internet realized that if you take Garfield out of the comics (Garfield Without Garfield) the comic turns into the bizarre nonsense monologues of Jon Arbuckle. Then Fatal Farm decided to lampoon Garfield with their classic "Lasagna Cat" spoofs. Nowadays Garfield is more or less a punching bag for internet humor. For zoomers Garfield is probably more famous for its parodies then its actual comics or cartoons.

I can't get into the head of a 67 year old Baby Boomer. But maybe Larson finally realized that the internet only really beats up on lame ass comics. The Far Side along with Calvin & Hobbes are insanely influential works, I don't think the guys who made Rick & Morty would deny that they were clearly inspired by Larson when they came up with that show's recurring surreal visual gags.

I hope he continues making comics, maybe it'll encourage Bill Watterson to make more stuff, although C&H should stay completed. His guest star comics for "Pearls Before Swine" were great.

Last edited:

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Taken from Wikipedia's entry on The Far Side:

Honestly I think Gary Lawson foresaw in advance that the freedom of the internet would allow people to alter comics which he clearly abhors since he treasures his work. He pretty much predicted internet meme culture.

Think about Garfield, it was a drab inoffensive comic about a fat smug cat. Some dude on the internet realized that if you take Garfield out of the comics (Garfield Without Garfield) the comic turns into the bizarre nonsense monologues of Jon Arbuckle. Then Fatal Farm decided to lampoon Garfield with their classic "Lasagna Cat" spoofs. Nowadays Garfield is more or less a punching bag for internet humor. For zoomers Garfield is probably more famous for its parodies then its actual comics or cartoons.

I can't get into the head of a 67 year old Baby Boomer. But maybe Larson finally realized that the internet only really beats up on lame ass comics. The Far Side along with Calvin & Hobbes are insanely influential works, I don't think the guys who made Rick & Morty would deny that they were clearly inspired by Larson when they came up with that show's recurring surreal visual gags.

I hope he continues making comics, maybe it'll encourage Bill Watterson to make more stuff, although C&H should stay completed. His guest star comics for "Pearls Before Swine" were great.
Lasagna cat is a being unto itself.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
cool

I liked reading Far Side as a kid.

(it's also where I got the idea that maybe animals really are just saying "hey" when they just make simple noises)

• Feels
Reactions: Bryan Magee
Tags
None