General Nintendo Spergery Thread - For stuff that isn't just about the Nintentards or the other franchises that have their own threads.

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wario Land is not a legally recognized territory or country, it's not on any of the maps in mario lore.
Given Odyssey, it seems like Mario's world is one that is basically endless where anything is possible, so just because something's not on a map doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere.

Technically though the first Wario Land is not literally set in "Wario Land" but a place called Kitchen Island, which sounds pretty in keeping with places seen in other games as well as Odyssey.

Also you would think Land would be a great sister series to Mainline Mario and be more daring, experimental, and inventive with it's platformer mechanics, but Wario has now been just regulated to minigames.
Indeed, it's a shame the series isn't still going.

SSj_Ness

Time to rape organized crime
kiwifarms.net
they're decent iirc.

Give the Warioland games a try too. Warioland 4 is pretty good.
Wario Land 1 is the best of the bunch, the rest are too explorative and puzzle based.
I'd like Odyssey more if the collectibles didn't border on tedious.

Collecting all the stuff in 64 works because it's kept to a manageable amount and the stages are smaller.
And there's better design in SM64. The stages have better verticality, and the compact stages helped with that. There was less overall empty space and more things to actually do relative to the space.

SMO feels like the stages just either dump you into an obstacle course or a big area with nothing to do except find a million moons. Less mission like opening up temples or chasing monkeys, and more exploration.

Probably seems like I hate exploration but I just prefer a tighter experience, something more deliberately crafted tends to have better pacing.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would anyone like to hear my very autistic theory about Mario and Nintendo as a whole?

I realized something playing the Mario Land games that in all my years of playing Mario has never clicked before, what exactly is the thing that ties all the seemingly disparate elements of Mario's world together? What is the overarching theme?

I'll tell what you it is... everything in Mario is archetypical, like a child's idea of something, Mario himself is an archetypical plumber and Italian guy, New Donk City is like a child's idea of NYC, everything is big, broad and colorful that resonates in an archetypical way, pyramids, shipwrecks, pipes, giant bullets, castles, haunted houses, a princess in pink a dress, it's all stuff with a lot of cultural cache done in a way that kind of distills the essence of something.

That's the series so resonates with kids because it's almost like how a kid sees the world, everything is big and broad, you don't understand the fine nuance nor do you have as much a concept of time, so an ancient pyramid or a wooden galleon can exist side by side with something more modern.

And Sunshine kind of distills everything you think of when you think a tropical vacation.

Other Nintendo franchises are similar, Zelda for example deals with archetypical fairy tale and legend themes.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wario Land is not a legally recognized territory or country, it's not on any of the maps in mario lore.

Also you would think Land would be a great sister series to Mainline Mario and be more daring, experimental, and inventive with it's platformer mechanics, but Wario has now been just regulated to minigames.
Wario Land is like the Confederacy. It very much has its own identity and culture, but Mario Land refuses to acknowledge its existence and tries to revise history by insisting Wario Land Virtual Boy never happened, and the Wario Land series is not worth continuing. But, to this day the citizens stand strong, and Wario Land Shall Rise Again™.

Sundae

Clown Mutt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wario Land is like the Confederacy. It very much has its own identity and culture, but Mario Land refuses to acknowledge its existence and tries to revise history by insisting Wario Land Virtual Boy never happened, and the Wario Land series is not worth continuing. But, to this day the citizens stand strong, and Wario Land Shall Rise Again™.
On the topic of Wario games, I would pay good money for a sequel to Wario World. That game was a hidden gem, and Wario deserves more 3D games.

Vyse Inglebard

Someday, I'll go beyond that sunset.....
kiwifarms.net
Masayuki Uemura, the lead architect behind the Famicom (aka the NES) and Super Famicom (aka the Super NES), died this past Monday at the age of 78.
FGJyG9xVkAEfqKb.jpeg

Without him, most of us probably wouldn't be here today, laughing at Nintentards and discussing our favorites. Rest well, ya crazy Jap. :semperfidelis:

Last edited:

Cardenio

#SlavaChargers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Masayaki Uemura, the lead architect behind the Famicom (aka the NES) and Super Famicom (aka the Super NES), died this past Monday at the age of 78.
View attachment 2786165
Without him, most of us probably wouldn't be here today, laughing at Nintentards and discussing our favorites. Rest well, ya crazy Jap. :semperfidelis:
RIP. On youtube he did several interviews with people who don't have big followings by any means.

Not to cast shame on anyone who doesn't want to do interviews, I myself would be terrified to talk on a camera. But it shows a genuine kindness to be willing to just talk to complete strangers for an hour. He just seemed like a real nice engineer.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't paid attention to Amiibos for a while, so I went to see if Hero ever got released, and apparently I missed him by like a year and a half, oops.

Also saw this:
1639437208419.png

New Amiibos are $25 now? What the hell? And I thought the price jump from $13 to $16 was pushing it.