General Telephony Thread - Ditto.

How Much Have You Spent on Your Phone?

• Total voters

NumberingYourState

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

This is the Samsung Galaxy A11 or supposedly so.

Quad (technically penta) Cameras are coming in the very next tier: The A21.

It's this strategy that makes me think your everyday average Jane's and Joes' and Zoe's are going to take off thinking this is more worth it than shelling out thousands of dollars for what would amount to an equivalent number of cameras and modern design elements. More power to them, fuck the flagship tier.

Robert Sanvagene

Pretend spergs are bullshit autists
kiwifarms.net
ASUS Zenfone 3, bought for cheap from Banggood a few months back. It's an older model (last official ROM is Oreo 8.0), but it responds well to custom ROMs. I've been running ArrowOS 9 on it for the last couple of months and overall I've been happy with it. IMHO ASUS is as underrated in smartphones as Motorola is overrated.

The last time I bought a current model phone was in 2010, when I got my first smartphone (HTC Desire).

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Questions I would be interested in knowing the answer to:
  1. Did these notifications go out to people who had disabled the Samsung crapware as much as they could without installing an alternative Android build?
  2. What "internal test" was involved? Was this a test of a new way for LEOs and other bad actors to spy on people who had disabled Google's filthy location monitoring?
Questions that will not be answered:
  1. Did these notifications go out to people who had disabled the Samsung crapware as much as they could without installing an alternative Android build?
  2. What "internal test" was involved? Was this a test of a new way for LEOs and other bad actors to spy on people who had disabled Google's filthy location monitoring?
I actually got that notification and it scared the hell out of me because I try to keep my shit locked down as well as I can. I logged into my Samsung account to see nobody had accessed it, and I never explicitly opted in to Samsung's Find My Mobile service (though apparently it's on by default).

If you try not to use a Samsung account on one of their phones, you'll constantly get a notification to log in that you can't disable. When you swipe it away, it'll come back a few hours later. I made an account only to get it to go away. I don't use any of their services otherwise and just disabled whatever I could, since all their apps are pretty crappy. They're trying to appeal to people coming from iPhones, but their apps just aren't as good as iOS'.

I have location services turned on, and I know Google tracks my every step.

When I got that, I didn't click it, and immediately shut down my phone. I ejected the simcard, put it on airplane mode, and checked my battery usage looked for any strange processes. I didn't find anything. So then I checked my Samsung account, and changed the password just to be safe.

I also found this article from 2014 about Samsung's Find My Mobile being hackable at the time, up to and including being able to remote wipe your target's phone. It's long since been patched, but that ain't good.

Last edited:
  • Semper Fidelis
Reactions: 3119967d0c

annoyingfuck

kiwifarms.net
No big brand smartphone will ever be bought in this house again. I have a hand me down Zenfone Max and my old Note 5, they both have RR on them, the Note with Oreo runs better than the Zenfone with Pie, I'll probably downgrade the Zenfone and see if it runs better then.

There is also a Blackview in my house, it's pretty much indestructible, and the person with it, says it's the best phone they have had, better than any of the big brand smartphones, for AUD$500, and not having to worry about any plans, is a great thing, especially when the month to month (that no longer exists) that they have had for at least 5 years, is dirt cheap and gets more than enough data for anything they need to do.

Reactions: Pissmaster

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net

This is the Samsung Galaxy A11 or supposedly so.

Quad (technically penta) Cameras are coming in the very next tier: The A21.

It's this strategy that makes me think your everyday average Jane's and Joes' and Zoe's are going to take off thinking this is more worth it than shelling out thousands of dollars for what would amount to an equivalent number of cameras and modern design elements. More power to them, fuck the flagship tier.
i know the flagships are ip6x rated but the As are not.

i used various kyocera, cat and casio G'zones because i work outside need a bright screen plus various ip shit.

switched to the s10e this year because the mic on the duraforce 2 kept dying. after 2, i said fuck it. liked the saphire screen myself.

theres a glass sealer that makes the glass scratch proof like saphhire, not sure if thats true or if thats how the science works. anyone try it? i saw a vid where a kid used a wire brush on his ipad and the glass was fine but i dont know if thats real.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Flagship phones are so stupid, people upgrade because it's faster and shinier then they they're just browsing the web and tweeting on it. Why do anything else when the blazing fast 3d might overheat the phone and drain the battery in an hour? It's not useful.

$200-250 is the upper limit for me these days, I'm not going to play Raid: Shadow Legends or whatever it is high-end models are used for and in my experience a cheaper phone using a simpler SoC have better battery life.

• Agree

NumberingYourState

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I decided Nokia's new smartphones aren't all that they're cracked up to be beyond build quality and software updates.

The 6.1 was fine... On Android Pie. I also think the screen was dying because more and more stuck pixels started to show.

I'm not anywhere near competent enough and too cheap to take this shit apart and fix it myself.

So I picked up the Samsung Galaxy A10E, downgrading back to basic level and not caring either way about having a finger print scanner as a strong password should be enough. The size is perfect despite having what should amount to a "huge screen", the 19:9 Aspect Ratio results in a phone that isn't a remote control and actually resembles a generic slab proper. The plastic body is advantageous except for it's a fingerprint magnet, but it's rigid and doesn't have the creakiness of Yugo ZTE phones or Alcatel phones. The battery life is better than what the standard minimum 300OmAh suggests. I'm not used to thin bezels and my hands are super squared so I always trip the inputs, which can be fixed with a case. The display is decent, the camera is meh but very otherwise usable. Samsung's One UI is better than anything they've ever released ever, bonus for built in dark mode, also lets me increase screen real-estate. Overall for $89 dollars it isn't bad, but the online pricing is exceptional for the unlocked model so I went with Cricket.

This is the case I got for it by the way, probably the best generic case for any smartphone you can buy for under ten dollars.

The Peacekeeper

kiwifarms.net
You know im bored so here is my smartphone history
nokia c-6(2011-2012) was a piece of shit i still miss the keyboard though
Nokia C6

samsung galaxy w(october 2012 july 2014) was a lot better grandfather bought it to me and my cousin mine was white though Bricked twice because i am a fucking idiot
Samsung Galaxy W I8150

lg nexus 5(july 2014 january 2017)perfect in pretty much everything except for the horrible battery life. gave it to my father as a secondary phone he still uses it to this day
LG Nexus 5

huawei p9(january 2017 november 2019) wasnt really that much of a upgrade aside from the metal body would have still have it if my mom didnt decide to be a idiot gave it to her
Huawei P9

redmi note 8 pro(november 2019 -)simply fantastic
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro

Last edited:

NumberingYourState

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Baguette Child

so tender and mild
kiwifarms.net
I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 that I picked up during a stint in Korea. It cost me around the equivalent of $89 USD. It's a full smart phone and does just about everything I could really need my phone to do, plus it has the physical keyboard of a flip phone, so I'm pretty happy with it. Runs on T-Mobile just fine in the states.

• Feels

GHTD

kiwifarms.net
Went back to Sprint for the time being after being furloughed, it's quite cheaper to do so (technically I'm using Tello, which is a Sprint-based MVNO).

Maybe T-Mobile can do something decent with Sprint now that the merger's complete.

Tags
None