Generation Z - Is there something different about this generation?

Abortions4All

Can't complain (but sometimes I still do)
kiwifarms.net
Parents of millennials thought if you just told your kids about the way you thought the world ought to work, instead of the way it actually works, they could end injustices by having the first generation of kids who wouldn't be racist or sexist. Instead, they raised a generation that thinks the world changes by changing the words you use to describe it, and who believe you should doublethink uncomfortable thoughts away lest you fuck up the world with a wrong idea.

Last edited:

DinosaursNotHipsters

kiwifarms.net
It's interesting that a larger proportion of gen z kids support Trump and very few them can actually state why besides "he's straight talker, he's upfront about everything" despite evidence to the contrary but if you ask them to justify shit; ask them if they agree with his policies, his cabinet picks , their response? "KEK YOURE JUST TRIGGERED REEEEEEEEEEEEE FOR KEKISTAN" mainly because they don't know/care

Just look at the younger voters of brexit, none of them knew shit about anything if you asked

Last edited:

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net
It's interesting that a larger proportion of gen z kids support Trump and very few them can actually state why besides "he's straight talker, he's upfront about everything" despite evidence to the contrary but if you ask them to justify shit, their response? "KEK YOURE JUST TRIGGERED REEEEEEEEEEEEE FOR KEKISTAN"
Of course, this is a generation of kids who are taught not to think critically and accept things as they are
I doubt the ones who were Hillary fans could have offered any better a line of reasoning for supporting her, though she's always struck me as that one teacher you viscerally hated in middle school without being able to explain exactly why, and obviously gen z kids are much closer in time to that period of life than any other group.

Lackadaisy

kiwifarms.net
It's interesting that a larger proportion of gen z kids support Trump and very few them can actually state why besides "he's straight talker, he's upfront about everything" despite evidence to the contrary but if you ask them to justify shit; ask them if they agree with his policies, his cabinet picks , their response? "KEK YOURE JUST TRIGGERED REEEEEEEEEEEEE FOR KEKISTAN" mainly because they don't know/care

Just look at the younger voters of brexit, none of them knew shit about anything if you asked
I doubt the ones who were Hillary fans could have offered any better a line of reasoning for supporting her, though she's always struck me as that one teacher you viscerally hated in middle school without being able to explain exactly why, and obviously gen z kids are much closer in time to that period of life than any other group.
To be honest, I doubt Gen Z kids supporting either political party would be able to back it up with much more than internet memes or parroted sound bites. That's just the age that they're at.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
Look I was born in 90 so I guess I'm the prototypical, extreme example of the perfect millennial, but is it really right to blame the world's problems on any single generation? That's such a broad and, kind of pointless thing to generalize on. I could see the argument being made for the entirely pre-internet generations: you could say they have not only much more opportunity, but much more pressure to influence each other and do the "right things" (going to church, whatever it needs to be to fit in, not be outcast or socially isolated or whatever). But I still dont see how it makes THAT much of a difference.

If anything, the simplest argument would be to realize that each "generation" has good things and bad things. It's kind of self-affirming, obvious, pseudo-deterministic bullshit but the world's where it is today because of the steps taken before and the consequences of those steps. If we still lived as we did in the 1950's, where would we be today? Further ahead, further behind? Still segregated?

I never really saw what was to be gained throwing stones at vague enemies like "the boomers", "anti-SJW's", whatever. What's done is done, you're never going to change the world by pointing fingers at monolithic movements and screaming "Up against the wall!" Take down opponents, not movements, and you can shape the outcome of the movement whether or not you win or lose, right?

I might be fucking exceptional, I was the weird kid who never fit in, so maybe that's why I dont identify with what people typically classify as the "hive-minded millennials" -- but I mean, your choices are all your own, made by you . I didnt even know I *was* a millennial until shit started going sour and everyone wanted to point fingers.

Am I entitled? Maybe, but I think everybody is a little bit entitled. You aren't owed anything, but the heart wants what the heart wants; you're always gonna be a little bit sour over not getting it. You can work for something, do all the right things and still lose it; that's life. You think Hillary Clinton wasn't the more qualified and experienced candidate? She still wouldn't be entitled to win, and that doesn't have shit to do with "her generation". Still, it's fair enough that she'd be upset at losing. There are places in America that still don't even have great internet, there are places in America where people are still relatively illiterate and uneducated. They line up with the places where people voted for Trump, but you can't really blame that shit on "generations". Time marches on but people remain the same; if it starts to rain, most people will run for whatever they perceive as being shelter.

TL;DR:
For better, for worse, through good times and bad, life just throws you in the machine and says, "Here, figure this shit out." You either sink or swim. The choices you individually make are ultimately your own, up to you, made by you, based on the life youve lived. Nothing more, nothing less. You form your own opinions, have your own thoughts.

I'm a millennial by age and numbers, but am "I" really a millennial? I'm 26 and I still kind of don't know who I even am.

All I can say for sure is that I am a human being on Earth. That's all any of us are, so in that regard is there really that much of a difference between, say Generation X, The Greatest Generation, and Generation Z? I dont really believe so, any more so than there is a difference insofar as we're all individual people with our own pasts, minds, thoughts and ideas.

Hopefully this makes sense because I'm fucking exceptional and tried to edit this because I wrote twice as much spergery, my brain sometimes goes off track and I have to go back through and edit shit that's pointless and powerleveling. There are some other thoughts I have but I do think this isn't really a discussion you can have without powerleveling, or else your argument loses a bit of context and meaning. I'm of two minds on this debate as well.
Yo Im clicking the fuck out of this but I think my browser is broken because it's not letting me go!!!

This is why millennials destroyed everything, you cock!

Coma

kiwifarms.net
Well as a Millennial (1997) I'm pretty fucked at owning any land in my country with it's atrocious over inflated housing market, my parents had the opportunity to buy up land but were too dirt poor and went about their blue collar lives to eventually born me and now I will take up a sufficient-high paying grey collar job within the field of STEM because these jobs are grossly underrepresented and in high demand by those in my country. my passion also doesn't lie in money nor in the unethical manipulative legal system. My parents never had to worry about the job market, never being able to buy a house since prices were a steady 50k - 150k dependent on location, worked different jobs and had an enjoyable life of vices outside of work safely with no degree or expertise under their belts but tradework and experience.

My generation is one of vanity laziness and self-entitlement but also one of creativity, uniqueness which has driven an entirely new consumer driven market as to my parents. the bulk of millennials are liberal, art fags with nothing to contribute to society nor original thought or appreciation for IP, those who think their opinion matters because they exist not because of what their profession, skills and talents are. They defeat their political opponents with hyperbole and exaggeration, they exploit the use of fallacy at every opportunity.
I used to be staunchly liberal until my generation ruined the definition of the word.

So I will be stuck paying off a student loan even with a grant and scholarship, a mortgage and every thing in between because the generation before me squandered the fiscal opportunities they had while the bulk of my fellow millennials will be making even less than me and investing in over saturated job markets such as graphic design, fine arts, early child hood teaching, hairdressing, trade work and other low prospect jobs. Millennials are generally either stay at home procrastinators or trade workers, service job types.

The prospects for Generation Z look even worse than for millennials. GL and may you learn from our mistakes.

King_Scrotus

kiwifarms.net
>Reports suggesting that they are more conservative than millenials

While I want to just dismiss this as one of the constant attacks against the alt-right, there's something to this.

You have two concepts to work with here, Materialism, and post-Materialism.

When you think of people being 'conservative', we think of them as materialists. Materialism is a concept of living in which 'things' are valued. The ideas of protecting one's property, family, culture, etc.

Post-Materialism is the exact opposite, valuing idealism and things like dissolving borders, I'm sure you get the drift.

What we have currently is an older, post-WWII generation of post-Materialists running things, pulling stuff like the Schengen Agreement dissolving borders, and fully embracing the refugee crisis, all due to their idealism. Of course, their idealism runs thin when both of those, and much more begin adding up to create a host of new problems, and the ideals aren't so golden as they once were, and then you have generational replacement, like Generation Z, who never experienced those wars of old, and don't have that ingrained post-material idealism, instead, they see attacks on the nation around them, and the people they identify with, and revolt against that. Just a shift in mindset really.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's sad to not care or to be well-informed on the issues.

To be honest, I doubt Gen Z kids supporting either political party would be able to back it up with much more than internet memes or parroted sound bites. That's just the age that they're at.
(:_(

>Reports suggesting that they are more conservative than millenials

While I want to just dismiss this as one of the constant attacks against the alt-right, there's something to this.

You have two concepts to work with here, Materialism, and post-Materialism.

When you think of people being 'conservative', we think of them as materialists. Materialism is a concept of living in which 'things' are valued. The ideas of protecting one's property, family, culture, etc.

Post-Materialism is the exact opposite, valuing idealism and things like dissolving borders, I'm sure you get the drift.

What we have currently is an older, post-WWII generation of post-Materialists running things, pulling stuff like the Schengen Agreement dissolving borders, and fully embracing the refugee crisis, all due to their idealism. Of course, their idealism runs thin when both of those, and much more begin adding up to create a host of new problems, and the ideals aren't so golden as they once were, and then you have generational replacement, like Generation Z, who never experienced those wars of old, and don't have that ingrained post-material idealism, instead, they see attacks on the nation around them, and the people they identify with, and revolt against that. Just a shift in mindset really.
Sad to see it happen anyway. Materialism just seems wrong to me. It just divides societies into the have's and have not's.

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net

Douglas Reynholm

kiwifarms.net
Anecdotes are worthless but they make me think Gen Z will break the mould. Recently found a few of my teen cousins/siblings socials filled with nazi/commie memes and one of their school poetry note books with a chapter of rhymes ironically praising Trumps wall and Tony blair just to piss a teacher off. They've had high grade internet from birth and can call out their elders bullshit with google search. Seem to idolise youpubers a bit much but to be fair their life cycle is too shit short to screw kids heads up.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
That's not that new, though, that's just teenagers being edgelords. In high school they had those CRT tvs that hung from fixtures in the corner of the room and the AV department would make a little news program to read announcements for the week or whatever, and my friends would just get a universal remote and change it and the teacher would roll their eyes and change it back. Or another popular thing to do was set your cellphones ringtone to that one frequency that people over like 25 arent supposed to be able to hear (think that yanny/laurel thing) and send messages and just chuckle about it.

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's not that new, though, that's just teenagers being edgelords. In high school they had those CRT tvs that hung from fixtures in the corner of the room and the AV department would make a little news program to read announcements for the week or whatever, and my friends would just get a universal remote and change it and the teacher would roll their eyes and change it back. Or another popular thing to do was set your cellphones ringtone to that one frequency that people over like 25 arent supposed to be able to hear (think that yanny/laurel thing) and send messages and just chuckle about it.
Heh, I recall having a teacher in the 90's that didn't mind us poking paper clips into the RF input from the splitter or whatever was connected to the TV so we could pull in a VHF station to watch a game show on! It was fun times!

Jack Haywood

Interested in psychology, games and adventure
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people I know my age are far more technology accepting and novelty accepting than older people that I know, so that assessment is fairly accurate.

I'm Gen Z (born 1998).

We're weird. I would not say as a generation that we're conservative by any normal person's definition of 'conservative' -- we're just weird. We broke the Overton window and believe what we like, regardless of what part of the political spectrum it's technically on.

Almost everyone I've met in my generation (and that's a lot of everyones) is some brand of left-wing by any traditional definition, but that brand of left-wing varies from SJW-stereotype to communist to libertarian to various types of Third Position-based insanity to a Sanders-Stein-based worldview. The most consistent positions seem to be 'drugs should be way more legal than they are' and a very strong position on feminism, either for or against.

We're also very, very political for a bunch of teenagers.
Can you clarify whether you meant left-wing libertarian or right-wing libertarian? There are various different kinds of libertarianism.

Last edited:

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino