Genius.com Forums - Where shitty music taste and autism compose a cacophony of retardation

longerdonger

kiwifarms.net
Just noticed that they don't allow "far-right and extremist" content, but they're perfectly fine with hosting ISIS hymns and anthems.

1610484955928.png

albert macdonald chan

Novice computer programmer and Norm Macdonald fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just noticed that they don't allow "far-right and extremist" content, but they're perfectly fine with hosting ISIS hymns and anthems.

View attachment 1843737
Considering the fact that most old school rappers referenced Islam, Malcolm X and Louis Farrakhan in their rhymes, one can’t be too shocked by this.

Frank D'arbo

THIS MACHINE JUST CALLED ME AN ASSHOLE
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been a user there for a long time as well as an annotator (8 years), holy fuck is the site's community awful.

The editing system is terrible, you can only really edit if you're a mod and they never listen.
All the dick sucking over Eminem, when he hasn't been good in two decades
I've seen unreviewed stuff stay up for at the most 6 years.

Most of the annotations aren't even about meanings, they're more like retarded ass fan theories.

If I dig deeper into my problems regarding the site, we'll be here all day.

longerdonger

kiwifarms.net
If I dig deeper into my problems regarding the site, we'll be here all day.
that's why we have this thread, right?

I've been on and off active on the site for around four years, but it's really taken a turn for the worse during 2020 with BLM and Trump shit - both Genius itself and the community. Curious if it was always super woke or if I just started noticing recently.

Tangentially related, but tons of articles they host on the front page are Buzzfeed-tier garbage, either focusing on rap beefs/album releases that no one over the age of 14 cares about or woke shit. Here's one on the front page right now because Lana Del Rey had too many white people on the front of her album cover; they push multiple articles like this out per day. There's 38 in January alone and we're not even halfway through the month.

1610568499814.png

Last edited:

Internet's Boyfriend

Whoa.
kiwifarms.net
I feel like the Genius Verified videos can be good if it's done by actual artists and not youtubers and memes. To be fair I've only watched the one on The Rover by Interpol so maybe the rest suck but it's pretty interesting to hear the actual meaning behind the song and not just some random person on the internet making guesses.

I used to think Genius was alright until I saw the page for Andy You're a Star by the Killers. The song is apparently about some jock who bullied Brandon Flowers in high school and it's supposed to be sarcastic because now Brandon's famous and the jock is just some high school coach, but most the comments are talking about how it's gay and god, the straights will do anything to deny how gay it is. I see how it can be interpreted as gay and I think it's an interesting take but holy shit these people are so obnoxious about it.
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-9.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-5.jpgUntitled-6.jpgUntitled-7.jpgUntitled-8.jpg

Also at some point they changed the layout of the site and now it's total ass to read. Like the lyrics were on the left and the song info/credits were on the right, now it's all just one column down the middle of the screen with a ton of empty space.

longerdonger

kiwifarms.net
Also at some point they changed the layout of the site and now it's total ass to read. Like the lyrics were on the left and the song info/credits were on the right, now it's all just one column down the middle of the screen with a ton of empty space.
The site redesign has been very contentious with the community since it was soft-rolled out last year (the -323 is the upvote/downvote score). Here's a video they made showing it off.
1610549876149.png

About a year ago, staff decided to introduce the song page redesign incrementally, with only logged-out users having the new design. Their plan was to have it done within a month, but they've left it in this weird limbo where some users have the new layout and some don't. That aside, users fucking hate the design, and people are still commenting on this thread. Apparently it's supposed to increase "engagement," but it's more likely so they have extra space for ads (which is how Genius makes most of its revenue).
1610550059961.png
1610550194472.png
1610550265626.png

1610550300294.png
1610550352596.png
1610550416967.png
Staff making retarded decisions only to face backlash from the community is a recurring theme.

Last edited:

Screw Danlon

Everything stated by this poster is true and facts
kiwifarms.net
I have actually learned some things from Genius. some of the annotations of Good Kid Madd City were actually really informative.

but then you have these from Regulate where someone really did not understand the lyrics:
FCA144FD-4EB4-4261-8FE9-39E233DA3CA9.jpeg
D6226E89-0AC3-4BDE-B09C-298693DD99F0.jpeg
C144731D-ECAF-4848-96A4-3F8D0395EF3F.jpeg
For those who still aren’t connecting the dots - streetwalkers claim their car broke down so that they don’t get busted for prostitution.

this, however, is a funny one:
ABA7DCE1-B0C9-4982-BEFE-248CE57A5EAA.jpeg

Wakko Warner

kiwifarms.net

longerdonger

kiwifarms.net
the Genius discord - which is surprisingly active, like the forum - is pretty much a cesspool with most conversations degenerating into Europeans sperging about Trump/American politics and teenagers being autistic. this particular argument started because someone said something to the effect of "orange man isn't that bad and there's not enough evidence for impeachment" and they got jumped
1610567814351.png
1610568295215.png

Wakko Warner

kiwifarms.net
the Genius discord - which is surprisingly active, like the forum - is pretty much a cesspool with most conversations degenerating into Europeans sperging about Trump/American politics and teenagers being autistic. this particular argument started because someone said something to the effect of "orange man isn't that bad and there's not enough evidence for impeachment" and they got jumped
View attachment 1845564View attachment 1845578
That second to last comment made me cringe...

albert macdonald chan

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

In 2020, Genius' Verified was home to everyone’s favorite artists. Today, we’re counting down the top 10 episodes from last year. Read more on Genius: https://genius.com/a/genius-counts-do...

From the thumbnail alone, it almost looks like these people don’t even look human. They look like actors portraying themselves as rappers for some reason.

Jason Blaha's Hat

No gods, no jannies
kiwifarms.net
Mario Judah gives me some serious second hand embarrassment.
Hold your tongue, Die Very Rough is a banger.

View attachment 1845564View attachment 1845578
Not a single person in these logs are over 18, I'd bet my life on it.

albert macdonald chan

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
that's why we have this thread, right?

I've been on and off active on the site for around four years, but it's really taken a turn for the worse during 2020 with BLM and Trump shit - both Genius itself and the community. Curious if it was always super woke or if I just started noticing recently.

Tangentially related, but tons of articles they host on the front page are Buzzfeed-tier garbage, either focusing on rap beefs/album releases that no one over the age of 14 cares about or woke shit. Here's one on the front page right now because Lana Del Rey had too many white people on the front of her album cover; they push multiple articles like this out per day. There's 38 in January alone and we're not even halfway through the month.

View attachment 1845586
Wonder if they’re peeved over how Lana Del Rey claimed that most of today’s female pop stars offer nothing but sex appeal with little of talent (Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Ariana Grande, Doja Cat, etc.)