Genius.com Forums - Where shitty music taste and autism compose a cacophony of retardation

RMQualtrough

kiwifarms.net
I need links to this sort of Tennis forum perversion you are describing and I need it stat!
The forum is TalkTennis, the entire board is very heavily autistic. The specific person mentioned revealed those things on messages over WhatsApp.

I think based on some of what the kid has done suggests he was molested (weirdly sexual behaviour at under 10 years old). Probably by the dad when living with him. I'm pretty sure there's a legal battle going on for something.

albert chan

Not a simp for Slovenian women
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So one of my acquaintances on the site is a mod, and he was recently chewed out by a staff member due to his banner image - a blue lives matter flag. Note that the banner image only appears if you click on someone's profile; you don't see it anywhere else. He was threatened to be de-modded and banned if he didn't change it within 48 hours.
View attachment 1862336
Here's an excerpt from the messages he was sent.
View attachment 1862342View attachment 1862343
This guy has been a mod for two years and - as far as I've seen - seems like a pretty levelheaded and dedicated member of the site. Staff demonstrating that they're willing to axe someone like him over a banner image that doesn't quite line up with their brand of political correctness shows that Genius's perennial wokeness truly knows no bounds.

they get mad at a Blue Lives Matter flag (a flag of all things), but get excited when they see things like annotating Chief Keef songs where gang violence runs amuck

Cake Farts

Now in mung bean flavor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The forum is TalkTennis, the entire board is very heavily autistic. The specific person mentioned revealed those things on messages over WhatsApp.I think based on some of what the kid has done suggests he was molested (weirdly sexual behaviour at under 10 years old). Probably by the dad when living with him. I'm pretty sure there's a legal battle going on for something.
make a thread on it then

Boris Blank's glass eye

And just for you I have a spoon
kiwifarms.net
In political science circles this is called "Distributed Totalitarianism." Instead of a nanny state watching your every move, it's a system that incentivizes an entire class of people to act as hall monitors and enforce the elite consensus on society for free.
So literal Eastern Bloc commie dictatorship, then. When your neighbours could be snitching on you, you could be snitching on your neighbours, and the housing block janitors definitely would be snitching on every single tenant.

Thank you, it's nice to know it has a proper fancy name that makes sense, unlike Wocque Polytycs Word Magics.

longerdonger

kiwifarms.net
I briefly mentioned this in the OP, but it seems like this is a good time to bring this story up. I managed to archive the HTML of most of this thread before it was deleted by mods, so I'll provide pictures of it in lieu of a link.

A couple months ago, a mod on Genius named Daktar had a strange thread made about him on the forums titled, "There is a racist moderator." The incorrectly formatted Instagram URL linked to an image on his personal instagram where he either posted or reposted a meme that contained the word "kung-flu," in reference to COVID-19. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to archive the meme, but it was the template with the girl screaming and pointing her finger on the left side and a cat on the right side (this one).
1611325175155.png

The first thing that stands out about this is the user who posted the thread. They have only just enough IQ to post in the forums (300), and their only activity (even to this day) is creating two song pages and editing some metadata. This suggests that this account was actually an alt of another user who had beef with Daktar and wanted him demoted, obtaining just enough IQ to create the thread and then dropping the account. Daktar - I should mention - is conservative, but from what I can tell he kept most of his political opinions off the website, possibly out of concern for something like this to happen. Many Genius users follow each other on instagram and his insta apparently had a lot of pro-Trump stuff on it, so someone probably took offense to it.

The resulting shitstorm was swift and imminent. There were a handful of people who had a reaction along the lines of, "well, it's offensive, but since it's on his personal insta it shouldn't matter," but you can tell by the upvotes/downvotes what the prevailing opinion was.
1611325417624.png
1611325515194.png
1611325567626.png
1611325611738.png
1611325693397.png
1611325848770.png
1611325937019.png

1611326002476.png
1611326030685.png
1611326122784.png

1611326159434.png
1611326203461.png
1611326220007.png

1611326249496.png
1611326321906.png
1611326353268.png
1611326370048.png
1611326415260.png

1611326439523.png

One of my favorites. Remember, if you support Trump in any capacity, you're a dirty no-good RACIST
1611325738545.png

In the end, Daktar wasn't demodded, but staff publicly reprimanded him and updated their rules to basically say, "if you do anything that we don't like as a mod, we'll demote you immediately." The actual statement was made on this thread after it was locked, which means it has (unfortunately) been lost since the thread was deleted due to another shitstorm that began after he wasn't demoted and the rule change. Daktar became largely inactive after this blew over.

The PMs that staff had with the mod that I posted earlier are (at least in some part) fallout from this incident, because now Genius staff can demote you for pretty much anything they want.

Attachments

• 1611325931183.png
    1611325931183.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

wolfpac92

User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
kiwifarms.net
My favorite thing to come from Genius was when I was reading annotations for Eminem's Kill You years and years ago. For the line "I've been through Hell, I'm trying to develop these pictures of the devil to sell them" there wasn't an explanation, just a picture of a cartoon devil smiling and it got like 8 downvotes. I don't know why but every time I think of it I laugh uncontrollably
metallicadamage.png

downwardspiral

Swaos
kiwifarms.net
My favorite thing to come from Genius was when I was reading annotations for Eminem's Kill You years and years ago. For the line "I've been through Hell, I'm trying to develop these pictures of the devil to sell them" there wasn't an explanation, just a picture of a cartoon devil smiling and it got like 8 downvotes. I don't know why but every time I think of it I laugh uncontrollably
View attachment 1901777
I need the full version of that annotation, this is prime copypasta material. I assumed that they would remove that but it's still there neat. https://pastebin.com/uU4PwrfE

Last edited:

Boris Blank's glass eye

And just for you I have a spoon
kiwifarms.net
While this might not be the best place to post this, RateYourMusic too seems to be sliding down:
2021-02-21 14.53.23 rateyourmusic.com 8317a1be9a39.png
(archive)
This is the first page of reviews. Relevant ones:
Three years since Moods. Trump still lingering in office. A global pandemic. 2020 was looking bleak and then Neil Cicierega air dropped Mouth Dreams, a welcome blast of absurdist mashups that might not be his tightest project, but it's certainly a trip worth taking.
This one's not so bad. The next choice one is more than half politisperging, starting with this:
Monday, October 26th, 2020.

On this day, 19 years ago when I was eleven years old, George W. Bush signed the USA Patriot Act. Today, the consequences of that act are still relevant. As long as technology is nearby, I never feel alone. "They" (the government, corporations) may be listening. I have no confidence that my texts, e-mails, and internet searches are not being monitored in some form. This feeling used to be outrage, but now (especially since Snowden's revelations) is treated by society with a shrug.

"it's just the way things are"
or
"well of course we're being monitored"

IT JUST IS THIS WAY. Another way of living is possible, but not likely when all these billionaires control so many facets of our lives.

Covid19 is surging across the U.S. Back-to-back single day records for new cases. My younger family members are home from school because a busdriver and some lunchroom workers have covid. I worry about my family.

Thursday new U.S. cases: 77,640
Friday new U.S. cases: 79,303
This isn't half of the TDS part.
It's like Jesus Fucking Christ man, why would you post a manifesto of autism on a music review site?

thrusting

iced out
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only times I pulled up genius was to figure out hip hop slang from songs I like and the site usually did the job. Only productive reason I could see to post there is to give your favorite indie/underground band more exposure by adding non existing lyrics and annotating if you have some background knowledge from being a day 1 fan. Of course that's not the case with most regulars on the site so they spend their free time sperging about their favorite mainstream artists giving epic hot takes such as X and Y is under-/overrated. The type of people who have no one in real life to share their hobby with because all they want to do is give shallow opinions instead of having actual conversations about art.

Autopsy

kiwifarms.net
The only times I pulled up genius was to figure out hip hop slang from songs I like and the site usually did the job. Only productive reason I could see to post there is to give your favorite indie/underground band more exposure by adding non existing lyrics and annotating if you have some background knowledge from being a day 1 fan. Of course that's not the case with most regulars on the site so they spend their free time sperging about their favorite mainstream artists giving epic hot takes such as X and Y is under-/overrated. The type of people who have no one in real life to share their hobby with because all they want to do is give shallow opinions instead of having actual conversations about art.
The site's concept is really good on a basic level, and the most thorough/dedicated annotators are definitely for older music, either hip-hop or, curiously enough, Brit new wave. I go there habitually if I want to read the synopsis on a given song, which usually has the album/time period/if it charted & what the band had to say about it.
I had no idea there was this much crazy under the hood, but I guess that's what happens when you slap together "awful site management" with "poor long-term design choices."