Genres You Want To Make A Comeback -

Shaved Kiwis

Memetic Polyalloy
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to see offbeat "AA" games make a comeback. Not so much a genre just games with smaller budgets that take bigger risks. Back in the PS2 days you had unique stuff like Katamari Damacy, Disaster Report and Mister Mosquito that weren't too far behind graphically whereas nowadays the only way something like that would get made would be by a lone indie dev. Sure you've got a ton of offbeat games like OmniBus but most of them seem to seriously lack polish. I dunno, maybe I'm just old and jaded.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to see offbeat "AA" games make a comeback. Not so much a genre just games with smaller budgets that take bigger risks. Back in the PS2 days you had unique stuff like Katamari Damacy, Disaster Report and Mister Mosquito that weren't too far behind graphically whereas nowadays the only way something like that would get made would be by a lone indie dev. Sure you've got a ton of offbeat games like OmniBus but most of them seem to seriously lack polish. I dunno, maybe I'm just old and jaded.
Very much this.

AA games and mid-budget movies both really need to make a comeback.

MadDamon

MAD DAMON
kiwifarms.net
Little RPG maker games with great stories (think Ib, Witch's house, Yume Nikki etc.). They all hold a special place in my heart, probably because of nostalgia, I feel like recent indie games lack good storytelling
Try the Blacksouls series if you like rpg. It is a series of eroge inspired by dark souls and dark fairytales but you can choose not to see the sexual content and purely enjoy the story.
The story is pretty good in an edgy kinda way imo.

So sad that there are many untranslated rpg maker games with good story. If you could read moonspeak, I would suggest you to try on zakuzaku actors(ざくざくアクターズ) for rpg and kisei joker (寄生ジョーカー)for act.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Xbox actually has an arcade style racer coming out in the near future.

So fictionalized, unlicensed cars but with enough visual clues so that people can easily tell which real world cars they're supposed to be. I'd probably get it if I had an XBox One, assuming it's a lower-priced title.

Rip Van Dinkle

kiwifarms.net
Strategy city builders. I mean, they are still out there but they aren't nearly as prevalent as they used to be. I especially liked it when they added some history into those games like Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Also survival horror. And not that jump scare shit that still pops up now and then. Old school Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and that one weird one I always forget the name of that was on the PS2 with superimposed people's faces on the models. That one scared the everloving shit out of me.

Reactions: c-no and Syaoran Li

Chadley Dickinson

kiwifarms.net
Updated series of Tenchu: Stealth Assassin. The background environment was really quite immersive and beautifully done. The first level had the big boss battle take part in a Japanese zen garden and it was wonderful.
With engines like Hitman 2 and MGSV: Big PP Energy I am surprised there aren't new Tenchu games.

Additionally I would like to see mech sims make a real come back as well as zFPS games. Specifically I want to see Starsiege and Tribes finally get sequels with a modern engine that can generate the ridiculous map sizes those games had in 1998-2002. Skiing down a hill and schwacking some defending sniper with a Spinfusor disk would be fun to do again.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Car combat games.

I preferred Vigilante 8/Interstate 76 over the less realistic Twisted Metal types, but games where you drive a car with guns strapped to it and blow the shit out of things really need to come back.
I really don't know how that genre died, those were always fun.

Twisted Metal had a PS3 reboot in 2011, and it was terrific. It also died so quickly that the rarest trophy (other than the platinum) is to win one ranked match every day for 30 days in a row. That should be trivial in a game with a thriving online scene, but they all but declared that game dead on launch, and David Jaffe is a lolcow that supported Gamergate in 2014 and got eaten by his own five years later.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
Warcraft Reforged was meant to resurrect RTS. Add in the co-op element for pussies afraid of pvp (it was actually fun in SC2 too). Customization. Skins, cash shop. Fuck custom games, just make RTS appealing again. SC2 was meant to be way more casual than it is but they had to satisfy the demanding korean audience. Asians literally ruined the RTS genre.

Automatically splitting workers, building more, ease of production, better hotkeys. Nah, we want our squinty eyes to dart all over the screen. If we can't have that, nobody can have RTS.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Sega Rally, Ridge Racer, Outrun and similar would be great.
With digital distribution and a lower price-point they really should exist. Paying full price for a game like Ridge Racer 1 would be complete insanity these days and I don't think it's necessary to compensate for that by filling it with Gran Turismo/Forza levels of crap. Fifteen bucks and a couple of really good tracks to master is what I want. Not needing tons of content makes the budget more modest and the developer doesn't have to sell a million copies to profit from it so it is strange that they died out.

Getting extremely familiar with the tracks was such a big part of those games. In Sega Rally Revo there's a groove on the inside of one particular tight turn that I want to get the left front tire into at a specific angle to slingshot through it, in Wave Race 64 on a specific part of one track there's a wave during the second lap that... Being limited in scope is what made arcade racers unique.

Tags
None