Ghost of Tsushima : Muh "Nationalism" - Asian-Americans and soy cucks whine about Nationalism in a fucking game. Japanese Gamers Love It.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
There's at least some historical precedent to hang their hat on for that one, women were trained in the use of some weapons to defend the home when the men were away, and there were occasional female samurai like Tomoe Gozen. I'm not aware of the Mongols having any parallel traditions. Also most of the male fighting force on the island just got slaughtered, so upper-class women taking up the family's spare blade and armor would make up a greater percentage of swordbearers than normal.

I'd call the game more of a pastiche of samurai movies than an attempt at a genuine re-creation of the time and place it's set in, so a lot of the "that's not how it would have worked!" complaints don't bother me. And a lot of the characterization and low-affect/exaggerated expressions and speech seem pulled directly from movies.

Dodge has been inconsistent for me as well, sending me flying away from enemies when I wanted to stay close and counterattack.

Upgraded black-powder bombs make some fights that I presume were intended to be pitched battles into jokes. See a crowd of 20 guys? Just lob one and clean up the almost-dead couple of survivors.
Yeah I won't say it's completely ridiculous since the game isn't that realistic regardless. Though you'd think that those women who are famous for using nagitant will have one rather than a sword (which is likely because the devs haven't programmed that in).

I think talking back to samurai is going too far because that's not something I've ever seen in done in japanese media.

Also I want to add two other complaints:
14. The Haiku minigame is shit. Literally the joke of being able to string anything and it will still sound deep.
15. "Don't go zones" that insta-kill you if you try to pass through them.

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
Yeah I won't say it's completely ridiculous since the game isn't that realistic regardless. Though you'd think that those women who are famous for using nagitant will have one rather than a sword (which is likely because the devs haven't programmed that in).
When you first find Masako there's a naginata in the house that one of the women used.

I think talking back to samurai is going too far because that's not something I've ever seen in done in japanese media.
Pretty sure it happens multiple times in 7 Samurai and Yojimbo, off the top of my head. Even if you have the theoretical right to kill someone for sass, only psychopaths would actually do it on a regular basis, especially feudal lords that don't want peasant revolts popping up all the time.

The insta-kill zones have a big warning pop up suggesting you not go there.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finished the game today, got only three achievements left to get (that's including the get all the other achievements achievement) and my biggest problem with the game is how it flirts with the idea of player choice - those dialogue options that you think will have an effect on something. Only, they don't seem to have any effect on anything, except the immediate response from the other character at that moment. And then at the very, very end you have a singular choice to make. It comes so out of the blue... I wish they gave us more choices like that last one throughout the game, or just cut out the choices entirely. Either commit to player choice or tell the story exactly as you want to tell it.
That's pretty much how they handled Infamous so I'm not really surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: XenomorphThot

yoshitsune

Late Heian period cowboy
kiwifarms.net
Not to spoiler too much, but you eventually meet another important ally who is a sohei aka warrior monk and he uses a naginata, so they did program them in, not to mention that Mongols start using glaives after a while though they're classified as spears when it comes to the stance rock-paper-scissors dynamic. My guess is why Masako is going around with a sword is that she's SERIOUSLY pissed off and the naginata is seen more as a defensive weapon, I mean most of her missions involve doing careful detective work trying to find out who is involved in the murder of her family, tracking them all sneaky and stealthily and when you arrive at their camp she turns on her Oblivion AI and charges in like a headless chicken.

• Agree
Reactions: Ineedahero

Snekposter

The Amount of Awoo Here is Too Goddamn Tall
kiwifarms.net
So, since I haven't been paying attention as a pure PC guy, what's the weapon variety like for the main char? Do you also get to use polearms and spears, or is just swords?

XenomorphThot

kiwifarms.net
So, since I haven't been paying attention as a pure PC guy, what's the weapon variety like for the main char? Do you also get to use polearms and spears, or is just swords?
No, you have the katana for regular battle and tanto for assassinations, short bow and long bow and a blowgun with poison darts. Then you also get ghost weapons such as smoke bombs, kunai, sticky bombs, etc.

Snekposter

The Amount of Awoo Here is Too Goddamn Tall
kiwifarms.net
Right. So for actual direct melee combat you only get to use a katana, then?

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, you have the katana for regular battle and tanto for assassinations, short bow and long bow and a blowgun with poison darts. Then you also get ghost weapons such as smoke bombs, kunai, sticky bombs, etc.
So how fucked up is the game? My understanding of the Mongol invasion of Tsushima was that they basically raped and pillaged the whole island, and anyone they didn't kill got enslaved.

XenomorphThot

kiwifarms.net
Right. So for actual direct melee combat you only get to use a katana, then?
Yes.

So how fucked up is the game? My understanding of the Mongol invasion of Tsushima was that they basically raped and pillaged the whole island, and anyone they didn't kill got enslaved.
It does have some fucked up notions in it, some performed by the Mongols (burning people alive, using humans for archery target practice, poisoning common folk, etc), some by the Japanese (slavery and heavily implied child rape and child sexual abuse, prior to the invasion, using the poison Jin used on the Mongols on other Japanese people for petty reasons, etc). However the Mongols are also portrayed as hmm... they're not entirely moustache twirling villains and brutes.

I'm not knowledgeable in this history, so I can't really compare, but from what you said, they seem like Mongols lite in the game, since they actually work with Japanese, those who were willing (Ryuzo and the Straw Hats come to mind), and try to get them to submit rather than fight.

Though they're still obviously portrayed as invaders, so on the wrong side of history.

Coldgrip

Not Cody.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna make a pachinko game about the mayans flipping history and purging all spaniards(who happen to be female) and their armor & clothes progressively fall off as you hit targets until you fuck them at the top of ziggurats. TRY AND STOP ME KOTAKU
Don't you fucking cocktease me, make that game now motherfucker.

Grand Wizard Wakka

kiwifarms.net
Its pretty tame and almost woke. Women aren't victimized in any ways you'd expect, and are respected as equals by the Mongols and Feudal Japanese. Women act independently and alone without fear. Women captured are harmed less than the men. No portrayals of sexism in the slightest. Women LEAD and negotiate with Mongols without fear of anything that could happen. There's nothing that would trigger or offend woke sensibilities in that regard. Dark stuff is implied at most. "When I was a child... he..." "Its OK." Also, I'm mostly through the game, including sidequests, and it seems like everyone turns out to be bisexual. Honestly the Mongol invasion as portrayed in this game doesn't seem half as bad as a BLM protest. The Tomb Raider Reboot was darker.

Last edited:

ProblematicUser420

kiwifarms.net
I bought it. I'm having a lot of fun which is a real change from most Sony games for me. Only other game I enjoyed this gen was GoW but even that kind of dragged near the end so I hope that doesnt happen here.

But yeah so far so good but I've mostly been doing side stuff so far.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its pretty tame and almost woke. Women aren't victimized in any ways you'd expect, and are respected as equals by the Mongols and Feudal Japanese. Women act independently and alone without fear. Women captured are harmed less than the men. No portrayals of sexism in the slightest. Women LEAD and negotiate with Mongols without fear of anything that could happen. There's nothing that would trigger or offend woke sensibilities in that regard. Dark stuff is implied at most. "When I was a child... he..." "Its OK." Also, I'm mostly through the game, including sidequests, and it seems like everyone turns out to be bisexual. Honestly the Mongol invasion as portrayed in this game doesn't seem half as bad as a BLM protest. The Tomb Raider Reboot was darker.
Well, the Feudal Japanese treating them well would have made sense, but certainly not the Mongols. As for women leading and negotiating on behalf of the Japanese that would make sense, though I'm not familiar enough with that era to know if they would have been present at Tsushima. There was actually a pretty famous female samurai by the name of Tomoe Gozen in the Genpei War which was occurred shortly before the Mongol invasions. It wasn't that horribly uncommon for noble females to receive martial training during the more chaotic periods of Japanese history since it was not uncommon for all of the male family members to be deployed elsewhere.

Edit:
The Mongols were likely the world leaders at that time in sex slavery. Many of the males in the Khan family had 100s of wives.

Last edited:

Grand Wizard Wakka

kiwifarms.net
It was normal for Japanese women to lead Mongol forces because the Mongols are so woke and respect women?

Random peasant women caught alone would be able to negotiate with packs of armed Mongols who showed up, without fear, and zero sexual impropriety would happen? Mongols who show up in towns would pay and protect female innkeepers, and the female innkeepers would regard them as good business?

No rape is even implied to have happened in this war by the Mongols in Ghost of Tsushima. Apparently they were perfect gentlemen, who have no interest in females in a sexual way. Apparently its dumb to think things might be any more dangerous for a woman than a man in a feudal warzone invasion.

Last edited:

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
No rape is even implied to have happened in this war by the Mongols in Ghost of Tsushima. Apparently they were perfect gentlemen, who have no interest in females in a sexual way. Apparently its dumb to think things might be any more dangerous for a woman than a man in a feudal warzone invasion.
There's an oblique reference in the "Lost at Sea" side quest, at least, but "video game doesn't go into enough detail about rape" is a weird criticism. There's plenty of wholesale wanton slaughter as-is.

Grand Wizard Wakka

kiwifarms.net
There's an oblique reference in the "Lost at Sea" side quest, at least, but "video game doesn't go into enough detail about rape" is a weird criticism. There's plenty of wholesale wanton slaughter as-is.
People were asking stuff like "This is full of rape/pillaging/horrors like Nanjing right?" and some idiot said the game is "fucked up" and full of dark themes just because... already dead bodies are shot with arrows for target practice and someone goes "When I was a child, I was..." in implication. Like I said, its less violent and dark than Tomb Raider. I'm not saying I wish was more violent and dark, but that trying to say its like The Rape of Nanjing: The Game or accurately captures the horrors of the Mongol invasions is stupid and/or dishonest.

My point wasn't "MMMM, NEEDS MORE RAPE" but that women and men being interchangeable in their portrayals in the game, in women not being victimized in any ways men aren't and having nothing more to fear than any man and all being 100% equally respected by Mongol and Japanese alike, that sexism didnt exist at all, is a pretty modern progressive/woke way to twist and portray things. I wouldn't say Witcher 3 was some gore fetish rape game, but this game doesn't even look in the direction of the mature and un-woke themes in that. Again, it doesn't have to, but trying to mislead people and claim how dark and "fucked up" and "full of rape and pedophilia" this game is, is dumb.

Last edited:

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
kiwifarms.net
In regards to Mongol women: the Mongols actually had female warriors. Really, the only significant historical basis for female warriors comes from cultures of the steppes. That's where your amazonian myths come from...

Largely because they were not infantry centric but calvary centric. Combined with the shortbow, women could be effective archers on horseback. This was fairly noticeable with the Sumerians...

With the Mongols, it certainly wasn't prevalent. But it wasn't unheard of a female archer accompanying a troop.

However, the vast majority of Mongol women trained for combat: they were used as auxilary protecting encampments(mostly from bandits). This allowed virtually complete mobilization of every man in a Mongolian tribe/clan to fight...

Outside of that, most female combatants(in history) are mixed in alot with mythical stories/tall tales/exaggerations. Very little factual basis....

I haven't played Ghosts yet, but from what I understand it's mythical in tone. So. I don't think female warriors are out of place...

Last edited:

ProblematicUser420

kiwifarms.net
The game isn't that dark so far. Like it shows basic atrocities to get the point across but I get the distinct feeling these dev's had enough sense to try to keep the game fun and not a soul crushing experience like TLOU2

It's been a good balance so far. I really don't need to see a bunch of women being forcibly raped thanks.

Last edited:
Tags
None