Ghost of Tsushima : Muh "Nationalism" - Asian-Americans and soy cucks whine about Nationalism in a fucking game. Japanese Gamers Love It.

yoshitsune

Late Heian period cowboy
kiwifarms.net
Well, the Feudal Japanese treating them well would have made sense, but certainly not the Mongols. As for women leading and negotiating on behalf of the Japanese that would make sense, though I'm not familiar enough with that era to know if they would have been present at Tsushima. There was actually a pretty famous female samurai by the name of Tomoe Gozen in the Genpei War which was occurred shortly before the Mongol invasions. It wasn't that horribly uncommon for noble females to receive martial training during the more chaotic periods of Japanese history since it was not uncommon for all of the male family members to be deployed elsewhere.

Edit:
The Mongols were likely the world leaders at that time in sex slavery. Many of the males in the Khan family had 100s of wives.
Pretty much all samurai women got some basic training in the naginata and were expected to protect their homes when their husbands were off in military campaigns. Tomoe Gozen is seen as the ideal, as she was one of the very few women who not only actually participated in field battles, but was also a military commander. She has a contemporary Hangaku Gozen who is known for the same, but she's less well known purely because she fought for the Taira who were on the losing side of the conflict.
Afterwards there were quite a few warrior women in the Sengoku period, like Kaihime and Myorin, but they only participated in defensive siege battles, as it was expected of warrior women of the time. Women who had a lot of influence in the Sengoku period weren't the ones who were warriors though, but ones who were very skilled in politics and diplomacy, like the mother of Imagawa Yoshimoto Jukei-ni and Maeda Toshiie's wife Matsu.
Now I know what you're thinking, what the fuck does the Sengoku period have with this? Well, clearly, the game takes influence from both, since the Sengoku period is much more well known they sprinkled in a lot of stuff from there as well.

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
The game isn't that dark so far. Like it shows basic atrocities to get the point across but I get the distinct feeling these dev's had enough sense to try to keep the game fun and not a soul crushing experience like TLOU2

It's been a good balance so far. I really don't need to see a bunch of women being forcibly raped thanks.
The modal conclusion to the "Help me find this person/these people" quests is "they dead," and a few involve people selling out their own families. The Mongols' treatment of the captured warrior monks is quite brutal, but it's talked about in retrospect rather than shown. There's plenty of darkness around, but a lot of it wouldn't really have benefited narratively from being shown explicitly.

XenomorphThot

kiwifarms.net
People were asking stuff like "This is full of rape/pillaging/horrors like Nanjing right?" and some idiot said the game is "fucked up" and full of dark themes
Dude, you might work on your reading comprehension. I just listed some things that happened or were implied in the game and the judgement I passed was that the game version Mongols were Mongols lite, so... you know, not fucked up. Then you got pissy because I rated your first comment as dumb, because it was dumb.

Alcatraz

Deflect THIS you wizard bastard.
kiwifarms.net
Females doing stuff in MY VIDYA??

Unrealistic because blah blah...historically...blah...women weak blah blah...woke....blah blah

1 guy killing dozens of mongol hordes?
Haikus during a time when they weren't invented?

It's just a game!1

Fuck off
Whining like this, and yet no one's mentioned the mongol rocket launchers that wouldn't be used for another 4 centuries lol

dirlewanger

kiwifarms.net
Did anyone else find the game extremely repetitive there was no variety in the enemies except for what weapon they carried I felt this way about infamous second son it’s fun at first but gets tedious pretty quickly

yoshitsune

Late Heian period cowboy
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone else find the game extremely repetitive there was no variety in the enemies except for what weapon they carried I felt this way about infamous second son it’s fun at first but gets tedious pretty quickly
I think it comes down to the fact that the game becomes way too easy after a certain point and the various subtypes of the same enemy type become completely useless as soon as you get to them. Like for example, archers in light blue shoot 2-3 arrows in very quick succession, archers in yellow they shoot flaming arrows, archers in green shoot poison, but once you get to even the yellow ones chances are you already have the arrow parry skill, and archers aren't really that much of a problem, at least they weren't for me.
Spearmen are similar, I hated the fact that you couldn't even block or parry those fuckers so I quickly made my way to the skill which allows you to parry them ASAP. Enemies with glavies count as spearmen and they have a special sweeping attack which you're supposed to jump over, kinda like in Sekiro. However, chances are again that you already have that skill which allows you to parry them and they made their sweep attack able to be parried, so something that would make them special becomes obsolete as soon as you come up against them.

• Agree
Reactions: Ineedahero

Roybertitos

Still a man of action
kiwifarms.net
Anybody try out that new lethal difficultly they patched in? Been playing on hard since I started, and as others have said the game feels pretty easy after you reach near the endgame. But this lethal mode is fucking hard as hell, you can get two shotted by a combo from a shield cunt that in hard I would cleave through them with my glorious nippon steel. Heavy enemies can one shot you from just one of their unblockables.

It'll prolly get easier the further I progress but so far I'm digging it, it's making me rely more on stealth, which I didn't do as much cause I like playing the honorable samurai route.

• Informative
Reactions: XenomorphThot

Alcatraz

Deflect THIS you wizard bastard.
kiwifarms.net
I think it comes down to the fact that the game becomes way too easy after a certain point and the various subtypes of the same enemy type become completely useless as soon as you get to them. Like for example, archers in light blue shoot 2-3 arrows in very quick succession, archers in yellow they shoot flaming arrows, archers in green shoot poison, but once you get to even the yellow ones chances are you already have the arrow parry skill, and archers aren't really that much of a problem, at least they weren't for me.
Spearmen are similar, I hated the fact that you couldn't even block or parry those fuckers so I quickly made my way to the skill which allows you to parry them ASAP. Enemies with glavies count as spearmen and they have a special sweeping attack which you're supposed to jump over, kinda like in Sekiro. However, chances are again that you already have that skill which allows you to parry them and they made their sweep attack able to be parried, so something that would make them special becomes obsolete as soon as you come up against them.
I'm honestly amazed they managed to create variety like this in the first place. Usually nowadays, it's just an enemy but they do more damage or they're unblockable. I can honestly appreciate that they went the extra step to create unique enemies that you need to approach slightly differently. It's such a "video-gamey" thing to do, I'm shook that no fart huffing journo has talked about the lack of unrealistic variety.

That being said, they did make Jin a bit too powerful, but in this context it sort of works. Instead of being told how amazing some assassin was back in the day with skills that are seemingly unearned, Jin Sakai has to actively overcome his samurai honor and engage the Mongol's over their knowledge of Bushido. The mongol's don't give a fuck and will use dirty tactics, and Jin is just fighting fire with fire while growing in strength. To the citizens of Tsushima, he inspired change by fighting differently, as a Ghost. Let's not forget that samurai served the lords almost exclusively around then and suppressed them.

Ending Spoilers, but
While I didn't like that you're forced to follow Jin's plan to poison the Mongol garrison even if you followed a mostly samurai method of attack, it's what ultimately win's Tsushima back from the invasion, even if it's a massive stain on his honor and he's forced to fight Shimura. He wins, but now he's branded as an outlaw, because not only did he display his strength and willingness to win, his ultimate reason for being branded an outlaw is not because of his "cowardly" tactics as the supernatural ghost of tsushima, but because Jin Sakai actively crippled the faith the peasents and commonor's have in the lords to do their job, inspiring a spark of rebellion. The official reason is his dirty tactics on the mongols.

Side quest dialogue actually changes because of the ending, btw. That's a neat detail that's often overlooked. Good on you, Suckerpunch.

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Second Son and its dlc sucked because you were playing Troy and Laura: The Video game. Just one example of why mocap can be the worst

Slimy Time

Read 'em and weep
kiwifarms.net
New update dropped. Added an intense difficulty after people complained that the game is too easy on hard, as well as an even easier mode for journalists.

• Informative
Reactions: yoshitsune

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
I feel like the Kunai should probably just damage guard instead of automatically breaking it. They seem to be strongest ninja tool in combination with the 3-resolve super.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
But does he run like Seagal?

If not then it should be a mod
I said CURRENT day Steven Seagal, as in running scenes are handled by stuntmen as are any other excerting actions such as walking up stairs and standing up. Basically he mostly sits in rooms glowering and reading his lines off of a teleprompter. As for the villain of Ghost, he mostly stands around looking imposing and spouting villainous dialogue.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
I do really want to play this game, but I already have several others that I need to finish and my PS4’s hard drive is almost full and probably doesn’t have enough space left for it. Once I finish those other games and get an new hard drive (which I’ve been meaning to do for a while), I’ll probably pick it up.

From what I’ve read, it reminds me of Red Dead Redemption in the sense that it essentially translates common samurai movie tropes into video game form like that game did for common western tropes. In doing so it fills that particular niche for the medium in order to create a unique experience that you don’t often get from it. It also makes it very enticing for me as someone who loves video games that explore historical settings (the RDR games are some of my favorites ever).

Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

yoshitsune

Late Heian period cowboy
kiwifarms.net
I said CURRENT day Steven Seagal, as in running scenes are handled by stuntmen as are any other excerting actions such as walking up stairs and standing up. Basically he mostly sits in rooms glowering and reading his lines off of a teleprompter. As for the villain of Ghost, he mostly stands around looking imposing and spouting villainous dialogue.
Seagal really is even too lazy to stand up nowadays. I watched a bunch of his recent clown show movies with my brother and most of the "action" scenes where he does his aikido shit involves Seagal sitting down while beating people up. It's surreal.

Tags
None