Gin - Mother's Ruin

Boris Johnson

Cripes! It's Bozza!
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got any recommendations for gins?

I've recently got into it and decided that Bombay Sapphire is a decent go-to for an evening G+T and Hendricks is a nicer one for special occasions, but if anyone has tried any weird varieties or cocktails let me know!

I mean, a drink that got the whole of London sloshed has to be good...

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I find that gin varies from repulsive to undrinkably vile, so I don't see much point in going much more fancy than Bombay.

It says something that the taste is vastly improved by mixing it with tonic water, itself a repulsive liquid on its own.

The two deserve each other and it's IMO the only way to drink gin other than a martini.

CWCchange

Ɔʍɔɔɥɐuƃǝ
kiwifarms.net
Gordon's Extra Dry is good.

When you're ready to take the next step, import some Borovichka juniper brandy from Eastern Europe it will put some hairs on your balls fam.
Gordon's is literally watered-down Tanqueray, which its bastard parent company "Diageo," prostituted by changing the formula to homeless piss. Compared to the United Distillers era, the taste difference is so clear. For higher ABV at the same price point, I'd go for American Gilbey's. For a better taste at a few more bucks, Seagram's or Beefeater. Frankly, I think you might have meant the former instead of Gordon's, because Seagram's carries the "Extra Dry" classification. I can't speak for Borovička, but wouldn't go through the trouble of importing only to get hammered, unless it's literally the best shit ever.

H

HG 400

kiwifarms.net
Gordon's is literally watered-down Tanqueray, which its bastard parent company "Diageo," prostituted by changing the formula to homeless piss. Compared to the United Distillers era, the taste difference is so clear. For higher ABV at the same price point, I'd go for American Gilbey's. For a better taste at a few more bucks, Seagram's or Beefeater. Frankly, I think you might have meant the former instead of Gordon's, because Seagram's carries the "Extra Dry" classification. I can't speak for Borovička, but wouldn't go through the trouble of importing only to get hammered, unless it's literally the best shit ever.
Fuck off I like Gordon's more than Tanqueray or BBS.

I can't speak for Borovička, but wouldn't go through the trouble of importing only to get hammered, unless it's literally the best shit ever.
Instead of grain alcohol flavoured with juniper it's brandy made from nothing but juniper. It's just crazy-strong tasting gin basically.

• Feels
Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

Boris Johnson

Cripes! It's Bozza!
kiwifarms.net
Instead of grain alcohol flavoured with juniper it's brandy made from nothing but juniper. It's just crazy-strong tasting gin basically.
This sounds like an absolute beast of a drink, I'll need to keep an eye out.

Long shot, but has anyone tried Opihr Spiced Gin? I saw it in Waitrose the other day and it looks pretty nice... Just not nice enough to risk the spend!

• Thunk-Provoking

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Let's necro this thread. Does anyone have recommendations for good gins for making martinis or gin and tonics? I found a bottle of Hendricks in the house that I don't hate anymore and started making something every now and then. The thing is that I'm led to believe that in many ways Hendricks is a weird reference for gin in general due to less juniper and the addition of cucumber; so I'm looking for something of good quality, more conventional, and not owned by Diageo or Seagrams for a better frame of reference. Doesn't matter if it's London Dry or Old Tom.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

Blondie

Everyone's watching to see what you will do
kiwifarms.net
Let's necro this thread. Does anyone have recommendations for good gins for making martinis or gin and tonics? I found a bottle of Hendricks in the house that I don't hate anymore and started making something every now and then. The thing is that I'm led to believe that in many ways Hendricks is a weird reference for gin in general due to less juniper and the addition of cucumber; so I'm looking for something of good quality, more conventional, and not owned by Diageo or Seagrams for a better frame of reference. Doesn't matter if it's London Dry or Old Tom.
Grow some balls and drink some real liquor.

• Lunacy
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

Robert Sanvagene

Taking his Poo to the Loo
kiwifarms.net
Greenall's Original London Dry goes alright. For the most pukka Britbong-spec gin, mix with Schweppes Tonic Water (preferably from a glass bottle), add a thin slice of lime, a generous helping of ice and you're good to go. Tanq used to be my goto, but yeah... Diageo kinda screwed the pooch there.

As for Hendricks ... as much as I enjoy the stuff, it's definitely one of those gins that throws people off as it's a bit more delicate than a bog standard London Dry. The hardest part is finding a tonic water that plays nicely with it; Schweppes is too overpowering IMHO.

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
New Amsterdam is decent for cheap shit.
Roku Gin is pretty damn good but expensive at least in my area.
Hendricks is also good but overpriced.
Bombay Saphire is normally overpriced but the East variant is very good especially in Red Snappers.

• Agree

Papa Adolfo's Take'n'Bake

It's screamin' good.
kiwifarms.net
As for Hendricks ... as much as I enjoy the stuff, it's definitely one of those gins that throws people off as it's a bit more delicate than a bog standard London Dry. The hardest part is finding a tonic water that plays nicely with it; Schweppes is too overpowering IMHO.
Hendrick's is meant to be drunk neat, you philistines. Like other sipping gins like Sipsmith and Cold River. If you're going to mix you might as well use bombay sapphire or new amsterdam

Tags
None