Containment Giving Chris Money Debate Thread - it's about ethics in giving exceptional individuals money

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaks

Beware of young girls...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think its the people who discovered Chris Chan late and still haven't learned his "glory days" are long over. They read the cwcki and think maybe giving him money will make him do something entertaining. He's been a boring tranny playing with legos for years. There is no good content left in him. What was the last big thing he did? Maced a guy at game stop two? I mean, that was pretty funny but what else. Begging videos and whining about blumpf on twitter is boring. He is a boring man. Stop giving him money.

Idk those videos he made trying to seduce lesbians months back are still pretty funny. Chris has turned into a slow burner (well, he's been one for a while to be honest), you just sort of wait around for him to do something hilarious, then wait some more. Something always happens, it's Chris, but one has to be patient.

heymate

Hold onto breakfast, kids.
kiwifarms.net
It's simple, really— he has Barbara help him.

Chris uses his mother, who is a great actor, as a sympathy tool in order to scam his "fans" out of their hard-earned moola. By messing up her hair and pretending to be extremely frail and weakened, Barbara tricks unsuspecting people into believing that she is near death, and that Chris needs money immediately in order to keep her alive for the time being. After recovering emotionally and wiping their runny noses all over their shirt sleeves, Chris-Chan viewers worldwide impulsively send money to 14 Branchland Court, which Chris swiftly and recklessly spends on toys and video games as he and Barb fall farther and farther behind on their payments. It's the perfect crime.

Last edited:

BurningPewter

all I had to do was mail it in and I just won!
kiwifarms.net
I can imagine wanting to buy the classic shirt or the totem if I was some rich rock star. Not to celebrate Chris so much as a memento of when the internet was crazy.

Georges St. Pierre

I'm not impressed by your autism
kiwifarms.net
As someone who has recently got a job which allows me to have disposable income I can attest that giving money away to a cause is one of the most dopamine releasing feelings in the world. As shallow as it is when you donate to a charity or give a five dollar bill to a homeless alcoholic or something along those lines not only do you feel less selfish but you also feel a sense of power or control over your own life. Now, why ANYONE would decide to get that through Chris is beyond me, but I'm sure there are weens/former trolls from 2007-2009 whom now have steady jobs and incomes look back at the way they treated Chris and feel guilty, and giving him a dollar or five a month helps remove that guilt while at the same time being hilarious.

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
giving him a dollar or five a month helps remove that guilt

*$483 a month

upload_2017-7-28_9-56-37.png

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Idk those videos he made trying to seduce lesbians months back are still pretty funny. Chris has turned into a slow burner (well, he's been one for a while to be honest), you just sort of wait around for him to do something hilarious, then wait some more. Something always happens, it's Chris, but one has to be patient.
Those videos were scripted by trolls.

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm willing to bet more than 30 of those patron give 1-10 bucks tops. 8 are very exceptional individuals with too much cash to burn and time to browse the depths of youtube.

when i first got online i got into 419 scambaiting and one of the top rules was to try to never give the marks money. i guess i'm just old school in my trolling ideals lol

Philosophy Phil

Please step out of my moonshine
kiwifarms.net
when i first got online i got into 419 scambaiting and one of the top rules was to try to never give the marks money. i guess i'm just old school in my trolling ideals lol
It's a various amount of different things to be honest.
For some it is "Let's give an exceptional individual a loaded gun and see what happens." What Chris does in that situation is quickly spend that money on worthless nonsense, giving us more to laugh at, especially when he is in a Financial Crunch. It's a form of schadenfraude, much akin to giving money to a hobo who immediately buys drugs then laughing at the same hobo as he Overdoses.
For others, it is "Asset protection; Chris is a very beloved Cow that continues to produce material, so leaving the cow to starve wouldn't be in the best interests of those who profit off of the cow. I'd imagine the CWCiki and Kiwifarms would be a little bit more empty without Chris' wacky autistic shenanigans.
For some others, it is "Legitimate donations because there are always newfags. Always."
Me personally, I donate 0.01-0.05 cents in "times of need" just to see Chris' reaction. In this I chuckle because there have been video/status responses for these low cost antics that are infinitely more entertaining than paying 200$ for Chris to read a terrible fanfiction.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Seems like some people consider it a form of "trolling" Chris.

Mike Herpes is the best Chris troll ever. He bought stamps from Chris for $3 and Chris just stole his money and never sent him the stamps.

Then Herpes trolled him by crying and bitching and never getting his $3 back.

CHRIS WAS OWNED SO HARD!

As shallow as it is when you donate to a charity or give a five dollar bill to a homeless alcoholic or something along those lines not only do you feel less selfish but you also feel a sense of power or control over your own life.

I once gave a $20 to an absolute scam artist who fed me this amazing cock and bull story that involved him needing a full tank of gas for some reason and went on and on and on and it was just so insanely entertaining that I gave him $20 even though it was obviously bullshit and instead of buying gas, he just immediately walked into a liquor store with it.

(I stole his story and sold it for $100 to some shitty magazine of the time.)

lindsayfan

What am I but hot blood?
kiwifarms.net
As someone who has recently got a job which allows me to have disposable income I can attest that giving money away to a cause is one of the most dopamine releasing feelings in the world. As shallow as it is when you donate to a charity or give a five dollar bill to a homeless alcoholic or something along those lines not only do you feel less selfish but you also feel a sense of power or control over your own life. Now, why ANYONE would decide to get that through Chris is beyond me, but I'm sure there are fools/former trolls from 2007-2009 whom now have steady jobs and incomes look back at the way they treated Chris and feel guilty, and giving him a dollar or five a month helps remove that guilt while at the same time being hilarious.
Can confirm re: dopamine etc.

Just look at all the nonsense that people used to fund on Kickstarter-- this is a consumer culture, and throwing money at things is one of the only methods of interaction that most Americans understand. These days amyone with sufficient internet visibility and insufficient shame can get money thrown at them (and will also get w33ned) just because they're visible. Chris, while an exceptional individual, is not an exception to this rule.

jackopalkia

official waffle and butter on a stick chef
kiwifarms.net
I can think of 3 reasons.

1. people feel bad or guilty for Chris
  2. They think they can get into Chris's inner circle by donating (Which would be a pretty dumb mindset)
  3. They think it will provide more content (Which is a little bit true he is making comics)
That is what I think but I could be missing the mark.

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
You guys are overthinking this way too fucking much. None of the donations are past the tiers that give comic rewards.

It's the medallions again. People want a physical momento of the exceptional individual they've followed for a decade, or to see the new pages before they leak.

It's as simple as that. It's like the people who buy a Wesley Willis album to listen to a schizophrenic man noodle on a Casio and scream "ret.ard bus" over and over.

Fuck. Fuck. It's actually been a decade. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.