Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021: Megathread - A cozy thread for watching the supply chain fall apart just in time for the holidays

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

Should the title be re-worded to expand the scope of the thread?

• The US Trucking Crisis of 2021 works fine

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • The US Logistics Crisis of 2021

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • The US Transportation Crisis of 2021

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • The US Supply Chain Crisis of 2021

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021

Votes: 206 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JustSomeDong

My own dark side lower companion...
kiwifarms.net
Can you tell me the location?
Well, Im somewhere in downstate illinois, but I'd recommend a farmers market near you. Failing that, farm supply stores sometimes have local products. Depends on where you are, but your local chucks sneed and feed is always a good bet. If they don't have it, they may at least be able to tell you where to get it.

Bakarina

kiwifarms.net
My store was pretty good just now, with one notable exception - Completely out of normal bell peppers. Only stock available was some local organic hothouse grown ones, instead of the usual import ones. At over 2x the price of the regular, which themselves have been up 20% since this time last year. The starbucks in that location seems to be getting worse though - it was rare for them to have half their food in stock before, and the menu usually one 1-2 red stickers of sold out - now its consistently 3-4, including the seasonals, and I've just given up asking about the banana bread.
Bell peppers are pretty easy to grow indoors and most seeds you can buy are self flowering. Plants typically get to be about 2 feet for a good sized pepper though they will be smaller than the larger store bought ones and are pretty difficult to kill as long as you keep the thing watered. I lucked out with finding a hydroponic garden at a thrift store prior to the pandemic and bought it to see if I could successfully grow anything before I spent the money investing in an actual garden (plus the husband didn't want me dragging dirt everywhere). Tomatoes are a similar ball game but they don't have the leniency of peppers (they can be not quite ready to pick yet only for them to be rotten the next day depending on the type). Most fruits are a labor of love because the plants have to mature for years before they actually produce fruit you can eat (traditional apple trees take roughly 10 years to mature while the dwarf varieties take about 2-4).

That's funny, margarine is all anyone eats here. There's legit like 20 different brands even at small grocery stores, and butter is relegated to this little shelf at the top, where it's only in sticks and people only use it for baking. I never knew it was so uncommon to use margarine in other places until I read your post and googled it.
Butter is extremely easy to make because it's essentially churned cream. If you're in a pinch, put some heavy cream in a jar and add a little bit of salt, close it and shake it until butter happens. Take butter out of jar and put it in a separate container and save the liquid left over (it's buttermilk and good in biscuits and pancakes). You can also technically do this with a blender/food processor and if you stop early you'll have whipped cream. Margarine is 2 chemical compounds away from plastic, it isn't good for you.

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
That's funny, margarine is all anyone eats here. There's legit like 20 different brands even at small grocery stores, and butter is relegated to this little shelf at the top, where it's only in sticks and people only use it for baking. I never knew it was so uncommon to use margarine in other places until I read your post and googled it.
Why in God's name would anyone willingly choose margarine over butter?

Yay it tastes like shit, coats your tongue so everything is bland, and is a trans fat? Oh boy I'll take twelve!

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why in God's name would anyone willingly choose margarine over butter?

Yay it tastes like shit, coats your tongue so everything is bland, and is a trans fat? Oh boy I'll take twelve!
It's a maritime society as opposed to an agricultural one, so milk wasn't readily available but whale and seal oil were, then it just becomes a cultural thing.

Last edited:

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only margarine I've seen has been made with hydrogenated vegetable oil. Maybe it's vegan?
Oh, it's not made with whale or seal oil here anymore. It's also not made with hydrogenated oil as those are banned in Canada. Usually palm oil or canola oil now. Here's the one I usually buy, for example.

I've had real margarine made from fat before though. Seal is pretty readily available at the grocery store. It's similar to bacon fat.

Last edited:

tehpope

The Cheeky Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can you tell me the location?

Anyway...

View attachment 2885562

It's all a Right Wing Conspiracy!

https://archive.md/woOc3

full thread where the video came from.

Thread said:
Keep hearing of train burglaries in LA on the scanner so went to #LincolnHeights to see it all. And… there’s looted packages as far as the eye can see. Amazon packages, @UPS boxes, unused Covid tests, fishing lures, epi pens. Cargo containers left busted open on trains. @CBSLA

I’m told by law enforcement these @UPS bags are especially sought after by thieves opening cargo containers… they are often full of boxes with merchandise bound for residential addresses. More valuable than say, a cargo container full of low value bulky items like toilet paper.

This opened package from @REI destined for Bainbridge Island, WA was taken off a train. Typing in the @UPS tracking # and it obviously lists it as “delayed.” We found lots of opened packages bound for the Northwest along this section of tracks.

As you can see, trains frequently slow or stop in this area as they get worked into the @UnionPacific Intermodal facility near Downtown LA. The thieves use this opportunity to break open containers and take what’s inside. I’d say every 4th or 5th rail car had opened containers.

Missing a package? Shipment delayed? Maybe your package is among the thousands we found discarded along the tracks. This is but one area thieves have targeted trains. We were told this area was just cleaned up 30 days ago so what you see is all within the last month. @CBSLA

Responsibility for policing the railroad right of way falls on Union Pacific Police... not local agencies like LAPD. We did see Union Pacific police chasing two people today off the tracks and keeping an eye on things.

Unfortunately @UPS, it’s gonna take a lot more than a tracking number in this situation.

edit: added hq vids.

Last edited:

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Oh, it's not made with whale or seal oil here anymore. It's also not made with hydrogenated oil as those are banned in Canada. Usually palm oil or canola oil now. Here's the one I usually buy, for example.

I've had real margarine made from fat before though. Seal is pretty readily available at the grocery store. It's similar to bacon fat.
Wouldn't seal fat be lard? At any rate it sounds way better than the hydrogenated poison little old ladies insist on cooking with, here.

Lard is massively superior to Crisco for similar reasons. Hydrogenated vegetable products are gnasty. I love olive oil, but I won't tolerate crisco in my food.

Beavis

Dilweed
kiwifarms.net
Taco Bells in Vegas feeling the pinch. I’m scared now.

Attachments

• 1BEEC0FB-3301-4B97-AA9A-E96A7568C16F.jpeg
    1BEEC0FB-3301-4B97-AA9A-E96A7568C16F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54

naaaaiiiiillllll!!!

Null thought I was British, lol (HYPE NFT NULLIES)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Margarine is dirt-cheap compared to butter (or at least it WAS) and if you’re making something like Kraft boxed Macaroni and Cheese (an admittedly lazy bottom-tier food), you can’t taste the difference if you use expensive artisanal butter from the organic hipster micro farm. Save nicer butter for spreads and fancier recipes. Besides, butter doesn’t have a strong flavor by itself — eating butter alone is not fun and as a hydrophobic material, it always “coats your tongue”.

Everything is a couple steps away from plastic and the degree of chemical processing in all our food is astounding. Many people swear that margarine is the devil but still eat tons of other processed foods. Moderation and portion control. There is no such thing as a non-toxic food — it’s all about dosage.

Most interestingly to me, there is definitely a cultural and business component: I remember reading when margarine was invented, dairies lobbied hard to limit or ban it’s sale (I think some states required margarine to be dyed red to scare away customers). Maybe dairies were concerned about the health issues margarine all those years ago, but I think bottom-lines were all they cared about and having something dirt cheap with a better shelf life scared them more than it being “two steps from plastic”. There’s a strong agri-business meddling legacy and I think that lead to a lot of the stigma it has now. Even so, I think margarine producers use it as a way to use up extra vegetable harvests, so there’s tomfoolery there as well.

Again I’ll need to research this again, but it feels like less science and more feelings are involved with margarine hate.

I was informed they were out of CO2 for the drink fountain after I posted that image.
Insert joke about global warming and rising atmospheric CO2 being a lie. It would be infeasible energetically, but I would love to build an atmospheric CO2 scrubber that can capture and concentrate CO2 from the air directly into soda fountains. I could get funding from all the environmental groups and eventually cheap (or even free with above green subsidies) soda all for myself. :evil:

George Lucas

Hentai with Chinese Characteristics
kiwifarms.net
It's a maritime society as opposed to an agricultural one, so milk wasn't readily available but whale and seal oil were, then it just becomes a cultural thing.
Traditional margarine made from animal fat is completely different from the margarine today made with vegetable oil. The difference between animal margarine and rendered fat like lard and suet is the processing. I don’t know if animal margarine has trans fats, but vegetable margarine does.

For the love of God, get off that stuff for your own health. If butter is inconvenient, get lard. Use oil. Use literally anything else but that plastic crap.

Larry David's Opera Cape

Some people call me Maurice
kiwifarms.net
Got this extremely lulz letter from my doctors office today:

gaycovidshit.png

It's so oddly cavalier and condescending. "We cannot doctor for a month or so, we fired all the normal people and all that's left is social justice troons who want to freak out and take weeks off for the common cold, so how about you keep all that annoying whining about 'health concerns' and 'needing a check up' to yourself, you stupid twats!"

But they had one of the most extreme vaccine mandates of all the health systems here, not even approving medical exemptions, so.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Another bunch of snow is going through the center of the country. St. Louis and Memphis (two major shipping hubs) are getting about 3-5 inches each this weekend, so this will certainly not be any good for moving things around. The same area got hit about 8 days ago, and I was told that some shipments had been delayed for several days because a bunch of trucks just don't bother driving in the snow, or end up driving less.