Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021: Megathread - A cozy thread for watching the supply chain fall apart just in time for the holidays

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Should the title be re-worded to expand the scope of the thread?

• The US Trucking Crisis of 2021 works fine

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • The US Logistics Crisis of 2021

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • The US Transportation Crisis of 2021

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • The US Supply Chain Crisis of 2021

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021

Votes: 206 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lorne Armstrong

Do you like my penis more, or my balls more? LOL
kiwifarms.net
Carve your own steaks. I spend like a hundred bucks every two months on a beef loin and get about 10-15 steaks out of it. Vacuum seal them and make chili with the trimmings. Ends up being 5-6$ per pound.
I’ll tell you what, I’ve considered this very thing, and if my ease of getting markdowns for cheaper than that ever dries up, (and they’re not as cheap or as plentiful as they once were for sure so it may get to that point), I’ll be doing this very thing for beef as well as pork and chicken. Boston Butt is routinely $0.79-$0.99 per lb retail for a 10-11lb cut and whole chicken is always under a buck per lb. There’s a lot of money to be saved in doing the carving yourself.

Now if I could just find a cheap source for porkbelly so I can make my own 🥓

Also, you can always add those trimmings into the meat you grind for sausage. You save a ton of money making your own sausage.

George Lucas

Hentai with Chinese Characteristics
kiwifarms.net
I absolutely, unequivocally disbelieve that there's cream-of soup in that casserole. It's made with a bechamel/mornay type sauce. The cream of chicken is basically a shortcut for cooks who have no idea how to make a roux. The sour cream I definitely believe, but cream-of soup is basically a way for proles to access modified food starches that don't lump up even if your technique for adding them is novice-level.
Online recipes are always terrible. I have never found a recipe online (that didn’t come from a non-online source) that was any good.

Bakarina

kiwifarms.net
I’ll tell you what, I’ve considered this very thing, and if my ease of getting markdowns for cheaper than that ever dries up, (and they’re not as cheap or as plentiful as they once were for sure so it may get to that point), I’ll be doing this very thing for beef as well as pork and chicken. Boston Butt is routinely $0.79-$0.99 per lb retail for a 10-11lb cut and whole chicken is always under a buck per lb. There’s a lot of money to be saved in doing the carving yourself.

Now if I could just find a cheap source for porkbelly so I can make my own 🥓

Also, you can always add those trimmings into the meat you grind for sausage. You save a ton of money making your own sausage.
See if you have a local butcher in your area that sells it and buy a slab. Local butchers sometimes have meat cheaper than big box stores. Also, asian markets sell all kinds of thickness of pork belly and it goes on sale typically once a month.

The hardest part of sausage making is getting ahold of the casings though I guess you could always make patties.

Lorne Armstrong

Do you like my penis more, or my balls more? LOL
kiwifarms.net
See if you have a local butcher in your area that sells it and buy a slab. Local butchers sometimes have meat cheaper than big box stores. Also, asian markets sell all kinds of thickness of pork belly and it goes on sale typically once a month.

The hardest part of sausage making is getting ahold of the casings though I guess you could always make patties.
You can ask the butcher store for casings, but there’s one grocery store near me that sells them in ziplock packaging for cheap, (though the price has doubled since last year to $7 per bag and I can stuff around 50lbs of sausage per bag of casings). The casings are salted and keep for a year in the fridge. For breakfast sausage, I just pack it into 1lb packs with the vacuum sealer and into the freezer they go.

davids877

kiwifarms.net
I did learn when I got older that the most likely reason I hated the taste of milk was that my parents froze it. I'm Canadian so we have our special bags of milk and they would buy two bags (you get three smaller bags in a larger bag because we like plastic) and freeze them. There was always a half frozen bag of milk in the fridge. You should not do this. Instead, although pretty unhealthy but in short term, do what the Newfies do and switch to Carnation or canned milk in the baking section for cooking and coffee/tea.
Luckily if you're rich you have more options these days, probably not for the Newfies though, although maybe... Quart UHT milk is generally available for about the same price as a half gallon and gives you 15 days from opening and a use by time a couple months in the future if you don't open it. If you're super rich you can get the 8oz individiual milks with a date many months(4-6 it seems) in the future and you can use them 8oz at a time, and they keep a few days once opened. They work perfect for cooking my boxed pasta with requirements like "3/4 cup of milk" and use maybe one a week. More expensive, sure, but far less wasted milk and don't need to remember to get some at the store. Of course, far more packaging waste.

Of course, on that note, usually my Kroger has all the individually boxed ones in stock(whole, 2%, 1%, chocolate) but I went to WalMart this week and they only had chocolate, so I had to just get a couple of the quarts.

Last edited:

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
3-5 inches is literally nothing, if the plows are running there should be at most a slight delay.
If it only snows like that once a year, a city like Memphis isn't wasting time buying and paying plows when there's politicians salaries to be paid. That's why snow/ice in that part of the country can be just as disruptive despite not being large storms, there's a mentality of "we'll just deal with it for a day or two and then it'll be gone" and nobody knows how to drive in it.

Diana Moon Glampers

Handicapability Facilitator General
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Online recipes are always terrible. I have never found a recipe online (that didn’t come from a non-online source) that was any good.

Normally I'd just experiment and figure it out for myself, but this isn't something I eat more than once a year normally, and pregnancy cravings are a beast where something not-quite-right is unlikely to satisfy. Not gonna load up on potatoes and cheese for anything but the real thing.

I've noticed lately that to my kids' dismay, stores have been entirely out of their rare "treat drink" of chocolate milk and only have chocolate fake milks like oat and almond. Those "milks" are basically just water and guar gum or carageenan, made white with a far lower amount of almonds or whatever than it would take to make a similar "milk" in your house without the industrial-grade thickeners. Thickened water isn't the same as milk and I don't care how many vegans tell me it's just as good. My kids notice the difference and so do I.

George Lucas

kiwifarms.net
Normally I'd just experiment and figure it out for myself, but this isn't something I eat more than once a year normally, and pregnancy cravings are a beast where something not-quite-right is unlikely to satisfy. Not gonna load up on potatoes and cheese for anything but the real thing.

I've noticed lately that to my kids' dismay, stores have been entirely out of their rare "treat drink" of chocolate milk and only have chocolate fake milks like oat and almond. Those "milks" are basically just water and guar gum or carageenan, made white with a far lower amount of almonds or whatever than it would take to make a similar "milk" in your house without the industrial-grade thickeners. Thickened water isn't the same as milk and I don't care how many vegans tell me it's just as good. My kids notice the difference and so do I.
Chocolate milk is easily made with chocolate syrup, but that can’t be as easily put in lunches of course. Schools used to give out chocolate (and whole, skim, etc.) milk for free. Do they not do that anymore?

George Lucas

kiwifarms.net
It was too tasty and delicious, therefore was declared Unhealthy by Obama's Tranny Partner when she declared that all schoolchildren must have Gruel and water in their lunches instead of Pizza and Chocy Milk.
Goddamn Trump didn’t cancel that shit? What is wrong with our government.

There was a time when food was actually cooked fresh on the premises. Universities still do that.

Honka Honka Burning Love

I am the Clownvis..Honk Honk Ba Donk.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Goddamn Trump didn’t cancel that shit? What is wrong with our government.

There was a time when food was actually cooked fresh on the premises. Universities still do that.
I have no idea to be honest, I presume if he did you would have heard REEEEEEEEEEing about it.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Yes, using bottom-shelf ingredients and the most unmotivated cooks in the world. It's fucking horrible food I don't miss one bit. Burnt scrambled eggs, baked potatoes overcooked to the point of inedibility, watery mashed potatoes, flavorless fried chicken, leathery pieces of beef and pork, 95% was pretty much prison food. Grade D meat, nasty stuff. I don't think it was any better than my high school's food. No wonder I lost so much weight in college.

And a little more on topic, the above was what you'd normally have, if the university was closed because of snow, they wouldn't bother getting their shit in and would cobble together the nastiest fucking reheated meals that were so goddamn bad I once chose to subsist off protein bars for like 2 days instead of eat that filth. Supply chain disruptions suck, man.

Mepsi Pax

kiwifarms.net
Not trying to shit on you, but I'm scared of us making the whole "you're eating trash" argument, since it becomes a slippery slope. I'm terrified of NPCs (a plurality of humanity) will say all meat and dairy is "trash" in the next few decades. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but every BS paranoid idea I had came true over the last 9 years...
Americans proudly eat trash like pigs, and they'll argue to the death about it when you tell them they're poisoning themselves. You are actively harming your health. It's well known that industrial oils (and products in general) cause oxidative stress and all manner of harmful effects. Butter, lard, and olive oil ONLY. You can drop your bodyfat and improve your long term prospects simply by eliminating seed oils and soy (you'll need to avoid corn syrup and whatever other pig chow you people eat too).
I understand margarine is not the healthiest or even tastiest choice but it's a decent substitute for butter vs nothing at all and for some people their choice is margarine or nothing at all. Or maybe they're like me and it's less of a condiment and something that you could also substitute for cooking oil (which is $3 to $6+ depending on the quality). And again, if you consider a period of time you have a small budget, it's much better to buy a multipurpose item that week than splurge on butter or a bottle of cooking oil and then have potentially nothing to use the butter with.
It's possible that someone is so poor they have to use that shit, but it's uncommon because first worlders buy all sorts of luxury shit. You have to be in real dire straits for $5 a week to be the make or break. There's a 99% chance someone will be wasting that $5 in their budget on some bullshit they don't need. Since when is butter not multipurpose anyway? It smokes kind of low (300F) but you can bully it into submission, also lard (380F) smokes similarly to vegetable filth (~400F+) and ghee smokes higher (480F). Healthy food should be a priority (Oink).

Totallyunknown

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure what the argument is given I clearly stated I come from a single lower income family who did in fact have that type of budget frequently.

It sounds like you've never used a food bank or been lower income yourself. Even if the other $1.50 goes to pre-packaged cookies, it doesn't mean they're wrong for spending it that way - it means they got $1.50 worth of luxury that week that a lot of people feel they don't deserve instead of a brick of butter.

You can also not use butter at all and if you are using so much butter that it becomes an issue when you're out, your health is probably equally as bad as those on a budget.

Hippopatumus

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure what the argument is given I clearly stated I come from a single lower income family who did in fact have that type of budget frequently.

It sounds like you've never used a food bank or been lower income yourself. Even if the other $1.50 goes to pre-packaged cookies, it doesn't mean they're wrong for spending it that way - it means they got $1.50 worth of luxury that week that a lot of people feel they don't deserve instead of a brick of butter.

You can also not use butter at all and if you are using so much butter that it becomes an issue when you're out, your health is probably equally as bad as those on a budget.
Downvoted for being poor

George Lucas

kiwifarms.net

When I was poor I still used butter. I don’t know what the problem is. I don’t know if you’re Christian but in Christianity you’re supposed to take care of your body, and that includes eating healthy foods.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was poor I still used butter. I don’t know what the problem is. I don’t know if you’re Christian but in Christianity you’re supposed to take care of your body, and that includes eating healthy foods.
I don't eat margarine because I can't afford butter. I eat margarine because it's what everyone eats in these parts. We call margarine butter and if you went in someone's house and asked for butter for toast or something and they gave you actual butter instead of margarine you'd be like, "What in the fuck?" Like if you go to a local resturant for breakfast, you're getting magarine on your toast.

George Lucas

kiwifarms.net
I don't eat margarine because I can't afford butter. I eat margarine because it's what everyone eats in these parts. We call margarine butter and if you went in someone's house and asked for butter for tost or something and they gave you actual butter instead of margarine you'd be like, "What in the fuck?"
Everyone here eats salted butter but I eat unsalted butter. Just because everyone does something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. It’s what the NPC meme is about.

Stop eating fucking plastic you dumb niggers.