Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021: Megathread - A cozy thread for watching the supply chain fall apart just in time for the holidays

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Should the title be re-worded to expand the scope of the thread?

• The US Trucking Crisis of 2021 works fine

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • The US Logistics Crisis of 2021

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • The US Transportation Crisis of 2021

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • The US Supply Chain Crisis of 2021

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021

Votes: 206 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
These morons. Trying to reduce prices does nothing to reduce demand, at the same time as they are reducing supply. So yeah, expect shortages.
Well there isn't even a proposal for a price control yet. Removal of taxes is always a good thing.
Any shortage over this would've happened anyway, though you're likely to see demand jump a bit driving pre tax cost up

Flan Handler

kiwifarms.net
Well there isn't even a proposal for a price control yet. Removal of taxes is always a good thing.
Any shortage over this would've happened anyway, though you're likely to see demand jump a bit driving pre tax cost up
They are trying everything to control prices without using the words “price control”. If it wasn’t so dire it would be the funniest thing to watch.

They don’t know why price controls don’t work, just that economists are probably screaming and begging to avoid them behind the scenes.

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
They are trying everything to control prices without using the words “price control”. If it wasn’t so dire it would be the funniest thing to watch.

They don’t know why price controls don’t work, just that economists are probably screaming and begging to avoid them behind the scenes.
Cutting a tax isn't a price control. The market still controls the base price. They'll probably get to those next week.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
just short of hoping for the govt to ban home gardens
They will at some point I'm sure, starting with test policies in California or Oregon, probably on the local level like in Berkeley or somewhere. Then it will be statewide, then national where the government can make sure states enforce that policy to get federal disaster money for the "climate disaster."
These morons. Trying to reduce prices does nothing to reduce demand, at the same time as they are reducing supply. So yeah, expect shortages.
Getting rid of gas taxes isn't a price control. But it does mean the government budget is yet more fucked right as we're raising interest rates which means we need to increase the portion of the budget that goes toward debt service. Well don't worry, the government has that solved already too, just fire up the money printer again.

Still Anonymous For This

I've never even been to Vienna.
kiwifarms.net
There was some talk a few pages ago about buying motorcycles to lessen the burden on fuel prices.

I actually used to ride a motorcycle year round for a few years when I lived in the southwest where that sort of thing is more feasible than it is elsewhere in the country. I didn’t do it to save money, but because I just really liked riding. Getting off work and having a chill ride home was a great way to decompress after a shitty day at work. I liked it so much that I even sold my truck at that time, but I’m the exception and not the rule here. Even my riding buddies looked at me like I was autistic.

99% of people will not enjoy riding a motorcycle year round, even those who generally like riding. A majority of us don’t live in Southern California where year round riding is comfortable. You’ll cook in the summer and freeze in the winter. You’ll look at your helmet dead-eyed at 6am, wishing it was as mindless a task as driving your car to work. You’ll hate your fellow commuters. You’ll have to call in if it snows. You’ll question why you left your rain gear at home when it is pouring at the end of your shift. You’ll have to learn how to play Tetris at the grocery store if you only have a bike.

On top of that, the idea that you’re going to save a shitload of money is a myth. Motorcycles generally have far tighter maintenance schedules than cars. You’re going to burn through tires, chains, sprockets, valve checks, oil changes, and on and on far quicker than you will in a car. You can get a little ahead if you do your own maintenance, including spooning on your own tires, but that’s a small margin. Riding gear is also expensive; you can buy cheap shit, but it is generally not as well rated for safety and far less durable. You need to spend good money on good riding gear, because you’re riding every day.

Bike prices are also insane these days and you’re basically buying in at the worst fucking time. I bought one of my bikes two years ago for $3k. I’ve had two people stop in my driveway offering $4k on the spot for it. If I wanted to sell any of my bikes, I could put them on Facebook Marketplace for whatever outrageous price I wanted, and there would be at least four retards lining up same-day begging to be fleeced.

People who buy motorcycles to “save money” are the same sort of people who bought Beanie Babies as an investment strategy.

The Rabbit Holes

come here little carrot ;)
kiwifarms.net
They will at some point I'm sure, starting with test policies
Lots of townships/cities/counties already ban chicken/fowl keeping. They don't want you having eggs or easily breedable game. Keeping anything hooved is almost nationally expressly limited to tracts of land that are not accessible by common man either through location or price. Banning or controlling what is in your personal garden is only a matter of time.

AbendCode12

kiwifarms.net
Could someone link me to a video. Explaining whole situation with the market. Keep in mind I do not have a lot of advanced knowledge regarding economics.
This is a dial at this link. I like to look at the dial. The market is too complicated to explain succinctly and even then, the most educated don't understand the entirely of it. People who play the market just position themselves to make a profit, not to understand the market.

MMMRI: 263
DXY: 104.13
US10Y: 3.15
Debt to GDP: 129%
You can find MMMRI explained here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMmZwyN_aM
MMMRI formula: (DXY * US10Y / 1.61) * (Debt / GDP)

50-100 = LOW RISK
100-150 = MODERATE RISK
150-200 = HIGH RISK
200+ = EXTREME RISK

We're in the highest risk category because our debt to GDP is past banana republic levels.

contradiction of terns

I have no egrets
kiwifarms.net
Hey, guys.

I mentioned this in the Depression 2022 thread and I'm also saying it here just in case.

Both myself and other people have suggested merging the threads. I was also given the suggestion that since both threads have a combined 6k comments it might be better to have them locked and post a new, updated OP that covers both topics.

Anyone who has an opinion is welcome to add it. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other so I'm not in a huge rush.

ToxicKek

kiwifarms.net
There was some talk a few pages ago about buying motorcycles to lessen the burden on fuel prices.

I actually used to ride a motorcycle year round for a few years when I lived in the southwest where that sort of thing is more feasible than it is elsewhere in the country. I didn’t do it to save money, but because I just really liked riding. Getting off work and having a chill ride home was a great way to decompress after a shitty day at work. I liked it so much that I even sold my truck at that time, but I’m the exception and not the rule here. Even my riding buddies looked at me like I was autistic.

99% of people will not enjoy riding a motorcycle year round, even those who generally like riding. A majority of us don’t live in Southern California where year round riding is comfortable. You’ll cook in the summer and freeze in the winter. You’ll look at your helmet dead-eyed at 6am, wishing it was as mindless a task as driving your car to work. You’ll hate your fellow commuters. You’ll have to call in if it snows. You’ll question why you left your rain gear at home when it is pouring at the end of your shift. You’ll have to learn how to play Tetris at the grocery store if you only have a bike.

On top of that, the idea that you’re going to save a shitload of money is a myth. Motorcycles generally have far tighter maintenance schedules than cars. You’re going to burn through tires, chains, sprockets, valve checks, oil changes, and on and on far quicker than you will in a car. You can get a little ahead if you do your own maintenance, including spooning on your own tires, but that’s a small margin. Riding gear is also expensive; you can buy cheap shit, but it is generally not as well rated for safety and far less durable. You need to spend good money on good riding gear, because you’re riding every day.

Bike prices are also insane these days and you’re basically buying in at the worst fucking time. I bought one of my bikes two years ago for $3k. I’ve had two people stop in my driveway offering $4k on the spot for it. If I wanted to sell any of my bikes, I could put them on Facebook Marketplace for whatever outrageous price I wanted, and there would be at least four retards lining up same-day begging to be fleeced.

People who buy motorcycles to “save money” are the same sort of people who bought Beanie Babies as an investment strategy.
How about "Asian motorcycles" (i.e. scooters and underbone motorcycles)?

While much smaller than what Americans and even some Europeans know as "motorcycles", they seem to enough for everyday commuting and even a good bug out/light cavalry vehicle in a SHTF scenario.

Given how they're commonly used by 2 adults (2x50kg) and their 3-5 children (5x30kg), I'm sure they can support up to one obese fat 6'9" fuck weighing 250kg with ease.

That's 550lbs, this bad boy can support so many doritos in one stomach:

1655958282929.png

They usually have an underseat storage compartment and seem decently rugged, all-terrain given countries where they're used like Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam have shit-tier roads filled with potholes or sometimes no roads at all.

They're also all-weather since they're used in very hot and humid weather (30C/90F, 70-90% humidity), frequent use or parking in heavy rain/thunderstorms and even riding in the occasional flood:

1655958693300.png

And even with all of the above, they don't seem high maintenance either. Most of the countries above have no maintenance culture. In fact, the mentality is "if it ain't broke, why fix it and waste money", shit is usually used until it runs into the ground and only serviced if something the impairs its ability to move.

And if it ain't obvious by now, running costs are extremely low (or else the average user in Asia can't afford it). 2L/100km or 110mpg is typical. Fuel tank size is 4L/a gallon.

Last edited:

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net

While much smaller than what Americans and even some Europeans know as "motorcycles", they seem to enough for everyday commuting and even a good bug out/light cavalry vehicle in a SHTF scenario.

Given how they're commonly used by 2 adults (2x50kg) and their 3-5 children (5x30kg), I'm sure they can support up to one obese fat 6'9" fuck weighing 250kg with ease.

View attachment 3416716

They usually have an underseat storage compartment and seem decently rugged, all-terrain given countries where they're used like Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam have shit-tier roads filled with potholes or sometimes no roads at all.

They're also all-weather since they're used in very hot and humid weather (30C/90F, 70-90% humidity), frequent use or parking in heavy rain/thunderstorms and even riding in the occasional flood:

View attachment 3416727

And even with all of the above, they don't seem high maintenance either. Most of the countries above have no maintenance culture. In fact, the mentality is "if it ain't broke, why fix it and waste money", shit is usually used until it runs into the ground and only serviced if something the impairs its ability to move.
Muricans call those scooters. We have them. They're cheap and fuel efficient. Mostly Honda with a cvt and they run forever

ToxicKek

kiwifarms.net
Muricans call those scooters. We have them. They're cheap and fuel efficient. Mostly Honda with a cvt and they run forever
Yeah same shit different name

1655960091699.png

But I'd be weary and choose only the models that they also sell in shithole Asian countries since they were probably designed to survive the shitty road conditions, harsh weather and abuse and neglect of the users in those countries, so they won't break in a hurry vs something designed for first-world America/European conditions and obedient users.

In the case of the current Honda models sold in the US, that would be the ADV150 and PCX.
1655960312168.png

1655960328764.png

Still Anonymous For This

I've never even been to Vienna.
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 3416716

View attachment 3416727

And if it ain't obvious by now, running costs are extremely low (or else the average user in Asia can't afford it). 2L/100km or 110mpg is typical. Fuel tank size is 4L/a gallon.

Outside of your university student or inner city ghetto retard, nobody rides scooters in the US. You’ll get splattered trying to keep up with traffic on state highways and you can’t even dream about hitting the interstate.

The myth that these things run forever and don’t require maintenance, because slope browed monkeys in Vietnam run them into the ground, is preposterous. There is a very well developed network of local mechanics in SE Asia, because these bikes don’t magically break the laws of physics and require less maintenance than motorcycles. Sprockets will still shark fin, tires will still wear out, and engines that run on a minimal amounts of oil (and sometimes no filter) will require frequent oil changes.

But what is true is that scooter owners in the United States do not believe in maintenance. Which means, unless you’re buying a Vespa from an eccentric old guy, you are buying a basket case of problems. That thing is going to have been left out in the rain and the maintenance schedule adherence will be a strong hint as to why it is being sold.

So why not buy new?

00B56994-2A82-40D2-A047-9CF80BCFCBA8.jpeg

Because you’d have to be a fucking retard to go into a dealership and throw down what will eventually be $7k after tax, title, fees, and you’ve blown every salesman at the dealership. Sure, you can buy a cheap Chinese clone of one of the Japanese bikes, but their quality is shit.

The idea that you think loading up a scooter with 500lbs worth of dogshit is like saying you never have to replace the shocks and springs on your car, because ghetto hood rats roll around with shot suspension, because they can’t afford to fix it. Scooter suspensions are usually lighter duty than most motorcycles. You can throw a load of shit on it, but don’t cry when you blow the rear shock, fuck the forks and steering head bearing, or snap the frame.

SE Asia have high scooter and light motorcycle traffic, because the upfront cost of car ownership is astronomical and not possible for a majority of the population. 95% of those scooters are cheap Chinese copies. If you go to any home in China, you’ll find one leaning on the side of every apartment building or house.

Because it broke the fuck down.

Nate Higgers

“Shit and two is eight” - Phil Gillis
kiwifarms.net

Goddammit I live in the southwest and I was literally hopping on the “I’m gunna buy a bike and ride to save muny” bandwagon. I would like to ride rather than drive my 35mi (one way) commute every day but if it’s gonna be a wash financially then who cares lol. Also bikes have gone up in price down here in the last month and a half due to other dummies having the same “bright idea”.

Kramer on the phone

Amber Heard did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
Hey, guys.

I mentioned this in the Depression 2022 thread and I'm also saying it here just in case.

Both myself and other people have suggested merging the threads. I was also given the suggestion that since both threads have a combined 6k comments it might be better to have them locked and post a new, updated OP that covers both topics.

Anyone who has an opinion is welcome to add it. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other so I'm not in a huge rush.
that probably would be a good idea, way too many off topic sperging has been allowed in both, for fucks sake there are in-depth posts on the pros and cons of motorcycles on a thread dedicated to a supply chain crisis.
in a lot of places you dont even need a license if they're under 50cc, honestly in the us most people believe anything under 600cc is a scooter,
Goddammit I live in the southwest and I was literally hopping on the “I’m gunna buy a bike and ride to save muny” bandwagon. I would like to ride rather than drive my 35mi (one way) commute every day but if it’s gonna be a wash financially then who cares lol. Also bikes have gone up in price down here in the last month and a half due to other dummies having the same “bright idea”.
the main reason to get a bike besides the gas savings is lane splitting, but yes between maintenance and cost you're not going to be better off overall, the only good part is the used market because of how many mid-life crisis weirdos buy one then let it rot in their garage for years, also quality motorcycle mechanics are an oxymoron right up there with women great at handjobs so don't think you can just go to say a harley dealer and they'll fix your bike up, i remember the owner begging my cousin not to sue after they missed a pretty obvious fuck up in the engine.

updoot farmer

kiwifarms.net
Outside of your university student or inner city ghetto retard, nobody rides scooters in the US. You’ll get splattered trying to keep up with traffic on state highways and you can’t even dream about hitting the interstate.
Most 300+ cc scooters handle 70mph+ just fine. Shit, the scooter *you posted* is a touring scooter that handles highways just fine. The market for scooters outside of big cities is quite thriving, mostly among old motorcycle riders that still have their balance but can't be arsed to deal with a manual transmission, motorcycle riders' wives, and other assorted weirdos. Buuut you never hear about this, because anything over 50cc is classified as a motorcycle and requires the appropriate licensure. 49cc shitboxes that you see in inner cities are barely worth considering as transportation.

Also if you think the bike market was fucked a few years ago, it's completely insane now. Motorcycle licesing courses must be making out like bandits right about now.

TheSkoomer

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah
kiwifarms.net
Scooters are shit because of the centrifugal clutch and the small tires combined with the foot platform arrangement leading to stability issues and the inability to grip a scooter with your legs to avoid being thrown off by a deep pothole.

Get a small, cheap motorcycle instead.