Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021: Megathread - A cozy thread for watching the supply chain fall apart just in time for the holidays

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Should the title be re-worded to expand the scope of the thread?

• The US Trucking Crisis of 2021 works fine

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • The US Logistics Crisis of 2021

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • The US Transportation Crisis of 2021

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • The US Supply Chain Crisis of 2021

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Global Supply Chain Crisis 2021

Votes: 206 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
There are plenty of places not requiring the jab. The smart companies are adopting a wait and see attitude while the court cases happen. No one want to lose 10-20% of their workforce overnight in the already tight employee market.
I'm in a big corp and so far they've only required it in nations that require it, so I have to assume they're holding out for the gov. to tell them. Still gets old waiting to see what happens. I'm starting to think the OSHA thing won't happen because they're taking so long.

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
You guys do realize that buying Christmas presents early is actually a really common thing, right? People do it to avoid having to spend more money because it's smarter, and cheaper to buy things early than risk them being sold out, or bought up by scalpers who will sell them an extremely high mark-up?

What I'm saying is that the people sperging about this shit, and the idea of people buying Christmas presents in general being some evil Chinese communist consoomer plot should neck themselves.
The thread of this argument, in a nutshell.

"The supply chain is collapsing! We're headed for a new depression! Doooooom!"
"Yeah! Make sure to buy Christmas presents ASAP."
"If your priority is making sure to buy things you don't need before they become unavailable, you should reassess."
"WHAT, DO YOU HATE LOVE???"

So yeah, ITT: vapid consoomers.

Bunny Tracks

Don't Fear The Reaper
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They don't wash chicken with Chlorine in the USA wtf are you talking about it. It gets UV lighted and water washed...and that was in the 90's when i worked on Perdue cutline for like 2 weeks. No chlorine at all...who would do such a thing? The taste would be noticeable.
Apparently, some (and when I say some, I mean 5-10% of) chicken processors use an antimicrobial rinse that contains chlorine, but they don't spray the stuff with just straight-up chlorine. It's a very little amount, and the bulk use of chlorine in processing plants is just used to clean equipment.

Virtually none of it remains in the chicken after it's done being processed, and what little there would be would just be killed off by just cooking the chicken properly.

The meat industry is very fucked up, and always has been, and that's a reason people speculate some processors use chlorine (to cover up bad practices), but the fears about chicken being soaked in chlorine, and being dangerous to your health are just based on ignorance.

The golden neckbeard

Web 1.0 Archaeologist and Professor of Goon study
kiwifarms.net
Apparently, some (and when I say some, I mean 5-10% of) chicken processors use an antimicrobial rinse that contains chlorine, but they don't spray the stuff with just straight-up chlorine. It's a very little amount, and the bulk use of chlorine in processing plants is just used to clean equipment.

Virtually none of it remains in the chicken after it's done being processed, and what little there would be would just be killed off by just cooking the chicken properly.

The meat industry is very fucked up, and always has been, and that's a reason people speculate some processors use chlorine (to cover up bad practices), but the fears about chicken being soaked in chlorine, and being dangerous to your health are just based on ignorance.

Yeah I thought so. Well I know so.

Im not shilling Perdue, I hated the Job but the place was clean as fuck. You could lick the conveyer at the end of your shift it was so clean.

The cleaning protocol at the Hilldale plant I used to work at, your Shift looked like this

7:30 AM Clock in
9:00 AM Smoke Break
11:00AM Lunch
1:00PM Smoke Break
1:30PM shut down and Clean

We literally cleaned the last 2 hours of every day for the next shift.

Now this is something some American Consumers do and I think it maybe something being conflated here.

Last edited:

Sped Xing

kiwifarms.net
Yeah I thought so. Well I know so.

Im not shilling Perdue, I hated the Job but the place was clean as fuck. You could lick the conveyer at the end of your shift it was so clean.

The cleaning protocol at the Hilldale plant I used to work at, your Shift looked like this

7:30 AM Clock in
9:00 AM Smoke Break
11:00AM Lunch
1:00PM Smoke Break
1:30PM shut down and Clean

We literally cleaned the last 2 hours of every day for the next shift.

Now this is something some American Consumers do and I think it maybe something being conflated here.

Oh Jesus where is my horrifying rating

Heinrich Maneuver

Interpol? No I’m into /pol/
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for all the chicken sperging, idc whether they are/n't using chlorine or bleach or whatever, it still smells and tastes rank. Weirdly an hour ago the largest chicken producer in the UK warned of price increases and a 'Great food reset'
"Ronald Kers, the chief executive of 2 Sisters Food Group, said that “food is too cheap” and costs should increase to reflect the challenges faced by British businesses... his firm, which has 600 farms and 16 factories across the UK, is struggling to cope with labour shortages and logistical issues caused by Brexit and Covid." (archive)
Bus driver shortage as well. Spain whining about lack of HGV drivers as well. Ofgem energy crisis getting worse with four more companies on 'brink of collapse', 1.7 million affected by lack of supply and collapsed companies. Also those videos of yanks cleaning chicken in clorox in the sink and then seasoning the chicken in the sink (no bowl, no bag) is enough to justify military invasion. Stop it

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
Thanks for all the chicken sperging, idc whether they are/n't using chlorine or bleach or whatever, it still smells and tastes rank. Weirdly an hour ago the largest chicken producer in the UK warned of price increases and a 'Great food reset'
"Ronald Kers, the chief executive of 2 Sisters Food Group, said that “food is too cheap” and costs should increase to reflect the challenges faced by British businesses... his firm, which has 600 farms and 16 factories across the UK, is struggling to cope with labour shortages and logistical issues caused by Brexit and Covid." (archive)
Bus driver shortage as well. Spain whining about lack of HGV drivers as well. Ofgem energy crisis getting worse with four more companies on 'brink of collapse', 1.7 million affected by lack of supply and collapsed companies. Also those videos of yanks cleaning chicken in clorox in the sink and then seasoning the chicken in the sink (no bowl, no bag) is enough to justify military invasion. Stop it

Its literally in your head.

We don't bleach our chicken.

American Chicken is the finest in the world. Any odd taste Its likely because its a containerized product. Container meat always tastes different because it sits in a container for a few weeks before it comes to you

teriyakiburns

I benefit from the Mr. Potato Head syndrome.
kiwifarms.net
Having chicken smell like ammonia and go yellow in the pack is just minorly unsettling. Tastes fucking rank too.
Oh. That's not chlorine, that's just the meat going rotten. Don't eat it.
They don't wash chicken with Chlorine in the USA wtf are you talking about it. It gets UV lighted and water washed...and that was in the 90's when i worked on Perdue cutline for like 2 weeks. No chlorine at all...who would do such a thing? The taste would be noticeable.
I don't know what to tell you, man. US chicken is banned in the UK because of USDA regulations permitting chlorine wash to deal with microbial infections. The practice is illegal here because it's considered unreliable; the preference is to ensure a high level of hygiene in processing plants and in the chickens themselves, which is why we also vaccinate for salmonella.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
Oh. That's not chlorine, that's just the meat going rotten. Don't eat it.

I don't know what to tell you, man. US chicken is banned in the UK because of USDA regulations permitting chlorine wash to deal with microbial infections. The practice is illegal here because it's considered unreliable; the preference is to ensure a high level of hygiene in processing plants and in the chickens themselves, which is why we also vaccinate for salmonella.

That just sounds like UK domestic chicken industry setting up barriers to keep our Corporate mega farmers out of the market. Our Chicken Industry is a juggernaut that tends to push everyone out of business. Tyson, PRIDE, Perdue, Tenderbird...all of them are huge mega corps

We don't bleach our chicken tho lol...but I wouldn't want American Chicken on my shelves if I live in the UK. That shit has to be frozen for weeks in a ship.

Art Kassul

kiwifarms.net

Family meal: But chicken could soon be washed in chlorine, if European proposals are agreed Consumer groups have condemned plans to lift a ban on imports of 'dirty' U.S. poultry meat.

It looks like that has been a common bit of British propaganda.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net

It looks like that has been a common bit of British propaganda. What is the point of that fear-mongering? How bizarre.

Its just gaslighting by the domestic chicken industry to keep american corps out of the market. Imagine billions of pounds of Frozen American chicken showing up every year and what that does to prices.

George Lucas

I like flat-chested women.
kiwifarms.net
There is actually a good amount of chlorine in our tap water. When I cook a big ass pot of macaroni, the boiling water starts to smell like a pool. That’s dissolved chlorine escaping from the water and turning back into a gas. I may be a rich asshole (all that Star Wars money), but I’m still not rich enough to use bottled water for pasta.

These niggers washing chicken with chlorine bleach isn’t as horrifying as you might think. The chlorine will evaporate from the chicken during the cooking process. It does start to eat away at the flesh of the chicken (as bleach does), but this won’t have any significant affect on the quality of the meat.

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
There is actually a good amount of chlorine in our tap water. When I cook a big ass pot of macaroni, the boiling water starts to smell like a pool. That’s dissolved chlorine escaping from the water and turning back into a gas. I may be a rich asshole (all that Star Wars money), but I’m still not rich enough to use bottled water for pasta.

These niggers washing chicken with chlorine bleach isn’t as horrifying as you might think. The chlorine will evaporate from the chicken during the cooking process. It does start to eat away at the flesh of the chicken (as bleach does), but this won’t have any significant affect on the quality of the meat.
You can get a filter, you know. Chlorine is one of the things they're REALLY good at scrubbing.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
Dunno everything about niggers and cooking generally is disgusting. They eat the dumbest most processed shit and then claim everyone else can't cook

they will throw there Mcdonalds ice cream in the Large Coca Cola...call it some hack on Tik-Tok and think they are some sort of culinary genius.

They literally know nothing about cooking except what white people taught them as masters. In Africa, that tradition is still apparent in the continents Cuisine...which is known for absolutely nothing except for the horrors of Bushmeat. The only meaningful culinary contribution niggers ever made was soul food, which was just a rip-off of southern white poor food but with offal.

Last edited:

Sped Xing

kiwifarms.net

Chlorine Bleach is an ineffective disinfectant when there is a large amount of organic material, such as a piece of chicken. There's absolutely no reason to ever do this.

Bunny Tracks

Don't Fear The Reaper
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People freak out about meat, but so many more food born pathogens come from plants, improperly stored things like pasta, etc.
Or by things as simple as untreated flour.

Fun Fact: That's also the main reason you're not supposed to eat raw cookie dough. It's not the eggs, though those do also pose a bit of a risk. It's the fact that the untreated flour could contain things like E.coli. This also extends to other prepackaged mixes for cakes, and brownies. In fact, such a thing was responsible an outbreak of that shit back in 2016.

Gede labah

kiwifarms.net
this week was one of the biggest stock-incoming weeks in a long time for my workplace, as business is booming due to a huge construction boom fuelled by goverment incentives last year.

this week, i saw:

- delivery due 'any time' last week, arrive monday this week, 'truck broke down'
- delivery due monday arrive thursday, might have been sitting at depot for a couple of days
- local truck company outsourced a run to another company because 'truck broke down'
- elderly and lazy/incompetent trainer/trainee duo replacing younger, better driver I'm used to seeing

i think a lot of this is the industry struggling to ramp up capacity after slowing down and minimising spending on equipment and new staff. it might fix itself, but certainly not this year.