Global warming/Climate change thread - is it real or bullshit?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

SSF2T Old User

Trick-O-Treat
kiwifarms.net
>NY, specifically Long Island & the 5 burrows, are prone to Tropical Storms and sometimes Hurricanes
>Before Ida, last Hurricane that majorly fucked shit up was Sandy, canceling Halloween and for some people even Thanksgiving. Long Beach COMPLETELY destroyed
>Ida comes along and fucks shit up, mainly in the 5 burrows. Subways completely underwater, worst flooding the burrows have ever had
>New governor shows her face after Ida goes away and says the following words...

<CLIMATE CHANGE
>Walks off stage and hides back in her bunker.

RussianParasite

Не ходи на выборы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even if one were to grant that climate change is 100% human caused and is absolutely bad for everyone, there isn’t much of a good solution right now. Those who think we can just magically switch to wind mills and solar power do not understand, at all, how energy grids work and what it takes to keep them running. Making this change would likely kill far more people than climate change itself.

But no, go around and harass everyone about how WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW NOW NOW, and keep scaring the shit out of children so you can feel good about yourself.

Erich Honecker

General Secretary of Dance Dance Revolution
kiwifarms.net
I do believe in climate change but something about the way it's being reported since about 2018ish is very offputting. Since Greta got popular there's been a marked increase in the absolute most doomerish and apocalyptic takes on climate being broadcast, not just by wacky fringe outlets, but by mainstream organisations like the BBC also. It's worrying to hear the amount of people I personally know in my age range (early/mid 20s) who say shit like "Yeah, I'm not going to have any kids because there's gonna be climate apocalypse in our lifetimes. No point reproducing". Whole swathes of young people have been straight-up convinced we're in the end times and there's nothing we can do about it. It's creepy.

I can't understand this strategy because it seems self-defeating. When I see the BBC printing a swathe of new articles on how we're "beyond the point of no return on climate change", it doesn't inspire me with any great optimism to try and change anything. Instead it just makes me want to give up and focus on other, less depressing things. Surely, if they want people to take notice of all this, there needs to be a balance struck between expressing urgency but also stressing some level of hope. Instead, we've got climate doomerism becoming mainstream, and I'm just not sure what the ulterior motive behind it all is.

Then again, it's a phenomenon that has been happening with covid too. The pop culture cliche from films/series was that if humanity was ever on the brink of a genuine existential threat (eg. a pandemic or global climate disaster), that western governments would downplay it and shy away from taking action so as not to scare the populace. It became clear how far off the mark that was during covid, as instead most western govs chose to deliberately make people scared because it furthered their aims of getting them to comply with lockdown laws. Similarly, with climate change, I feel like this "climate apocalypse" line is being pushed because some people feel it will scare the plebs so shitless that it will get them to comply with whatever particular green agendas they want to get passed.

Tikbalang

Wear your shirt inwards out
kiwifarms.net
The easiest (and most expensive) solution to climate change is moving out of earth for a while.

Art Kassul

kiwifarms.net
If climate activists where really serious about this shit, they wouldn't use every minute of their time to talk down towards people, who are just not interested in this stuff.
If they were serious about it they would demand tightly-closed borders and limit non-white/non-asian migration into western nations.

The easiest (and most expensive) solution to climate change is moving out of earth for a while.
Scuba diving on the moon when.

Irrelevant

kiwifarms.net
I do believe in climate change but something about the way it's being reported since about 2018ish is very offputting. Since Greta got popular there's been a marked increase in the absolute most doomerish and apocalyptic takes on climate being broadcast, not just by wacky fringe outlets, but by mainstream organisations like the BBC also. It's worrying to hear the amount of people I personally know in my age range (early/mid 20s) who say shit like "Yeah, I'm not going to have any kids because there's gonna be climate apocalypse in our lifetimes. No point reproducing". Whole swathes of young people have been straight-up convinced we're in the end times and there's nothing we can do about it. It's creepy.
The media was like this pre-2009 recession too. They shut up when they had other things to worry about.

Young kids actually believing the apocalypse is coming is new though. When I was a kid we were told the Ozone layer would be gone, trees would be gone, peak oil was 10 years away, etc, but I don't think anybody lost sleep over it.

Save Goober

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pollution is big enough issue by itself that apocalyptic climate populism is redundant. Just keep focusing on all the harmless CO2 and ignore microplastics or the dysgenic ecology industrial revolution created.
People do talk about this stuff. There is just literally too much to talk about. Microplastics are a hot topic but people don't want to talk about it because they are in our cheap clothing. Talking about the environment is basically a hot potato game of "why doesn't anybody talk about doing this thing that conveniently won't impact my lifestyle in any way. I won't engage until somebody talks about this"

Absurdist Laughter

Honesty about my dishonesty is the policy.
kiwifarms.net
Climate change is real and a natural occurrence. Technically, the planet is just now coming out of an Ice Age and the climate will continue to oscillate. I think humans are accelerating change. Though, I tend to take a Carlin stance on the subject. The planet is fine, we're fucked. But not in my lifetime, maybe in several centuries. Maybe, humans will do the human thing and adapt.

IAmNotAlpharius

Al Capone didn’t pay his protection money
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The media was like this pre-2009 recession too. They shut up when they had other things to worry about.

Young kids actually believing the apocalypse is coming is new though. When I was a kid we were told the Ozone layer would be gone, trees would be gone, peak oil was 10 years away, etc, but I don't think anybody lost sleep over it.
Ah they brings back memories. Yes I remember how we were going to die because of the ozone. The truth is that apocalyptic worrying is used to manipulate people into buying products or acting in certain ways. It’s a manipulation tactic which they don’t believe.
Climate change is real and a natural occurrence. Technically, the planet is just now coming out of an Ice Age and the climate will continue to oscillate. I think humans are accelerating change. Though, I tend to take a Carlin stance on the subject. The planet is fine, we're fucked. But not in my lifetime, maybe in several centuries. Maybe, humans will do the human thing and adapt.
I agree. I think we may have accelerated it a bit but it would’ve happened with or without us. We can adapt if we’re smart, but we haven’t proven ourselves capable of doing long term planning on a societal scale.
Even if one were to grant that climate change is 100% human caused and is absolutely bad for everyone, there isn’t much of a good solution right now. Those who think we can just magically switch to wind mills and solar power do not understand, at all, how energy grids work and what it takes to keep them running. Making this change would likely kill far more people than climate change itself.

But no, go around and harass everyone about how WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW NOW NOW, and keep scaring the shit out of children so you can feel good about yourself.
More libertarians and republicans have solar panels and wind turbines than progressives because they like independence (and better credit scores). Progressives want others to act, they don’t and won’t buy anything themselves because they don’t want to take personal responsibility. They want to force others to change.