GoFundMe delisting the Vic Kicks Back fundraiser from search - It seems stupidity is to blame

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Last night it was noticed on Nicks stream and confirmed by Kiwis that the Vic Kicks Back go fund me was gone from google search. Additional search sites like Bing and DuckDuckGo were likewise no longer finding the page.

Searching Vic Kicks Back in Google produced this result

Twitter was the first option, followed by mirror sites located in France and Italy. The US based URL was gone.

Bing

Duck Duck Go

In all cases it would seem the Vic Go Fund Me had been scrubbed from the internet. At first blush it seemed this was a cooridinated nuking by whatever search algorithim these search sites used. However, l33t kiwi h4x0rs who wish to remain anonymous began to find that the issue was in fact located on GoFundMe's end. Using virgin and pure search algorithms also failed to return the vic fundraiser, indicating an issue with the website proper.

This is outside of my area of expertise here, so I am trying to summarize what other people found out as I understood it.

A deep dive into the code revealed that they had issued a de-index order that prevented the search functions from archiving the page and thus being able to find it when queried.

It was apparently site wide too, not located specifically to the vic page itself.

And today using multiple browser it would seem the robots.txt, which is apparently important for Search Engine Optimization has been deleted. Confirmed using multiple browsers.

Gofundme recently updated their website and it seems that whoever they hired, (pajeet in India perhaps) has fucked up the ability to search their entire website. Which indicates that its not malice but stupidity on their end. In the interim though the gofundme will be hard to find using search engines, and this is why. Thanks to the Kiwis who looked into this by the way. My tinfoil hat was getting a little tight.

Zero Day Defense

"When the rain washes you clean, you'll know..."
kiwifarms.net
I don't think you had your tinfoil hat on too tight-- the way things are these days, it's not far-fetched to believe that Vic's fundraiser page got SEO'd into effective oblivion because tech conspiracy, and you wouldn't have to suffer much to answer the question of why they'd care when the only issue to resolve is the ubiquity of anime.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Why does the origins of catastrophes always come down to a sinister plot or bureaucratic incompetence?
Hanlon's Razor in full effect in this bitch: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Some of us just got a little jumpy(myself included) because KickVic has been swinging wildly to get some form of a win.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Hanlon's Razor in full effect in this bitch: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Some of us just got a little jumpy(myself included) because KickVic has been swinging wildly to get some form of a win.
To be fair though, in the weeb wars it's more hanlons baseball bat. The subjects are both malicious AND stupid.

tds

kiwifarms.net
I noticed that gofundme updated its layout 1 or 2 days ago.

They have returned to the old layout and since then the SEARCH results have returned to normal. It was probably the reason of the problem with the search engines. And probably (but I didn't tested it) problem applied to other gfm pages too.

"Vic kick back", "vic mignogna gofundme", "vic gofundme" = 1st Google result again.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino