• “We're living NOW! NOW, MAN!!“

Google forced by internal conflict to end censored Chinese search engine project

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by Null, Dec 18, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/google-china-censored-search-engine-2/
    https://archive.li/dSt4p

GOOGLE HAS BEEN forced to shut down a data analysis system it was using to develop a censored search engine for China after members of the company’s privacy team raised internal complaints that it had been kept secret from them, The Intercept has learned.

The internal rift over the system has had massive ramifications, effectively ending work on the censored search engine, known as Dragonfly, according to two sources familiar with the plans. The incident represents a major blow to top Google executives, including CEO Sundar Pichai, who have over the last two years made the China project one of their main priorities.

The dispute began in mid-August, when the The Intercept revealed that Google employees working on Dragonfly had been using a Beijing-based website to help develop blacklists for the censored search engine, which was designed to block out broad categories of information related to democracy, human rights, and peaceful protest, in accordance with strict rules on censorship in China that are enforced by the country’s authoritarian Communist Party government.

• Winner  x 123
    • Informative  x 27
    • Semper Fidelis  x 11
    • Like  x 6
    •  x 2
    • Optimistic  x 2
    • Dislike  x 1
    • DRINK  x 1
    Null

Null Je suis une personne folle

kiwifarms.net
  2. "Don't be evil", am I right?

• Optimistic  x 27
    • Feels  x 15
    • Like  x 7
    • Winner  x 5
    • Agree  x 3
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    • Late  x 1
    The Great Chandler

The Great Chandler "Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"

kiwifarms.net
  3. You did good, Google rebels; you did damn good indeed.

• Agree  x 70
    • Feels  x 8
    • Winner  x 3
    • Optimistic  x 3
    • Like  x 2
    Rikka Takarada

Rikka Takarada You only like me for my thighs

kiwifarms.net
  4. This is deeply disturbing, we're now on the cusp of realising total information blackout technology and there are people who still think Google is looking out for users' interests when they censor content on their platforms. Welcome to 21st century techno-slavery, people.

• Agree  x 68
    • Feels  x 12
    • Winner  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    •  x 1
    Visitor

Visitor You are carefully watched by many people.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  5. How long before the dissenters are unpersoned?

•  x 15
    • Feels  x 6
    • Agree  x 2
    • Horrifying  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Islamic Content  x 1
    • Optimistic  x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  6. While I am very happy the project was stopped, I am very disturbed at how close it was to actually succeeding.

• Agree Agree x 69
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Bunny Tracks

Bunny Tracks Don't you cry no more

kiwifarms.net
  7. Remember the last time someone suggested we don't let tech companies enslave us everyone threw a hissy fit? Good times.

• Agree  x 17
    • Feels  x 6
    • Semper Fidelis  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Winner  x 1
    • Autistic  x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  8. A ROT OF ROYALTY FOR HIRED TANEGASHIMA

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    the autist of dojima

the autist of dojima The Crawling Autism

kiwifarms.net
  9. I fear a world where a tech giant like amazon or google are the ones to trigger the singularity. Genuine, cold beads of sweat, fear. I'm not sure there's anyone I would trust were they to achieve it, but by god having one of these tech monopolies who are determined to '''help''' us achieving it first would be close to the worst case scenario.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Feels Feels x 4
    • Autistic Autistic x 2
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  10. Who would be better, though? The government? Some dipshit university where they encourage safe spaces? A foreign power?
    We should be very afraid no matter where it comes from.

• Agree Agree x 32
    • Feels Feels x 6
    • Autistic Autistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Sword Fighter Super

Sword Fighter Super I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. I like how the only reason this was halted was because they tried to be a little secretive about it. Imagine if it never got out and went into effect. Jiminy fucking Christmas, leave the internet alone already. No information should be under the thumb of a corporation, federation, government or religion.

• Agree Agree x 41
    • Like Like x 2
    Get Fisted

Get Fisted Well, you heard the man.

kiwifarms.net
  12. There is a reason why my Megacorp playthrough on Stellaris is called 'Space Google'

• Like Like x 22
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    CWCissey

CWCissey Charming Man
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. China and our (((((best ally))))) of course

• Autistic  x 9
    • Dumb  x 6
    • Disagree  x 2
    •  x 2
    • Feels  x 2
    • Islamic Content  x 2
    • Horrifying  x 2
    • Optimistic  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    the autist of dojima

the autist of dojima The Crawling Autism

kiwifarms.net
  14. Call me a cynic/autist but what is the likelihood now of these rebels being "exposed" as part of an alt-right nazi gamer conspiracy to stop asian people using the internet or something by our heroic and non partisan press?

• Agree Agree x 29
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 11
    • Feels Feels x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Judge Holden

Judge Holden Corpsefucker
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. Indeed I do; only a few days ago, Patreon basically told everyone on the site that it's your new parent whether you like it or not, and banned Sargon for insulting Nazis. Disturbingly, the exact same logic that they're using to justify banning him would get Christopher Hitchens banned as well; when he said that the Catholic Church's attitude to gays was "go away, you're a faggot" many years ago, he did exactly what Sargon has done.

So when Sargon and others decided to move to a new site, which incidentally also banned harrassih or inciting violence against groups, the "just move to another site" brigade of no platformers decided to smear the site to PayPal and allegedly blackmail Stripe (by threatening to release communications with their attorney) into adding a hate speech clause to its terms for the sole purpose of cutting stopping creators on the site getting money.

Thankfully, other companies (including Bitbacker, which would obviously kill many related problems) have volunteered to help fill the breach and only about one month's donations will probably be affected, and Peterson should be making a genuine alternative, but it's worth remembering what the situation will be like if the "activists" get their way.

Anyone who one or two companies (PayPal etc) dislike (or are told are bad by the right people targeting the wrong people) would not simply be driven from one site to the next (and to think, these people used to say "you can be somewhere else, just not here") but cut off from the ability to make money from most - perhaps all - of their work online unless they unpersoned themselves and were reborn woke in a dark parody of baptism.

So yeah, it's even worse than people losing their minds in opposition, they seem to be positively begging for large payment processors to be the arbiters of who can and cannot make any money on the Internet (hence forcing people to submit to arbitrary dictates of a company) because they like what those dictates say today. And in the very short term (ie the next month or two while things are set up) they're getting exactly that.

• Agree Agree x 32
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Autistic Autistic x 2
    #15 Rikka Takarada, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Rikka Takarada

kiwifarms.net
  16. Even more disturbing, we find ourselves on the same side as building-kin SJWs for this particular issue.

• Feels Feels x 20
    • Agree Agree x 1
    xxXDxx

xxXDxx just magic, ain't gotta explain shit

kiwifarms.net
  17. This shit has to end. All I can really think of is a law at the federal level prohibiting giving any contract whatsoever to corporations that work with our enemies to violate human rights.

They'd be eagerly for it if it was to censor Google itself worldwide for SJW causes.

• Agree Agree x 37
    • Feels Feels x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    AnOminous

AnOminous sittin in the fabled catbird seat
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  18. We'll be fine as long as we remember that a scorpion which stings and kills the animal that was about to eat you is still a scorpion.

• Winner  x 27
    • Agree  x 5
    • Semper Fidelis  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Informative  x 1
    Rikka Takarada

kiwifarms.net
  19. I'm sure that they'll just start it up under a different project name or something like that, for whatever reason it seems like tech companies get a raging hard-on at the thought of breaking into the Chinese market.

Not that I agree with it regardless, but that's not entirely accurate.

https://patreonhq.com/hate-speech-on-patreon-a9026e52c2cf

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
    Lysol

Lysol 99.9% Bacteria and virus free.

kiwifarms.net
  20. This is something that always irked me. Why are American companies allowed to violate the constitution so long as it happens overseas? Why are American food companies, United Fruit and Coca Cola in particular, known for having murderous death squads? How can Silicon Valley blatantly use slave labor? Oh and Google aiding Authoritarian regimes whenever it can.

It's all so tiresome.

• Agree  x 46
    • Feels  x 6
    • Dumb  x 2
    • Winner  x 1
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    •  x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.