Google forced by internal conflict to end censored Chinese search engine project -

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/google-china-censored-search-engine-2/
https://archive.li/dSt4p

GOOGLE HAS BEEN forced to shut down a data analysis system it was using to develop a censored search engine for China after members of the company’s privacy team raised internal complaints that it had been kept secret from them, The Intercept has learned.

The internal rift over the system has had massive ramifications, effectively ending work on the censored search engine, known as Dragonfly, according to two sources familiar with the plans. The incident represents a major blow to top Google executives, including CEO Sundar Pichai, who have over the last two years made the China project one of their main priorities.

The dispute began in mid-August, when the The Intercept revealed that Google employees working on Dragonfly had been using a Beijing-based website to help develop blacklists for the censored search engine, which was designed to block out broad categories of information related to democracy, human rights, and peaceful protest, in accordance with strict rules on censorship in China that are enforced by the country’s authoritarian Communist Party government.

Visitor

Owner of The Universe, the CIA and Great Britain
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is deeply disturbing, we're now on the cusp of realising total information blackout technology and there are people who still think Google is looking out for users' interests when they censor content on their platforms. Welcome to 21st century techno-slavery, people.

ddlloo

kiwifarms.net
I fear a world where a tech giant like amazon or google are the ones to trigger the singularity. Genuine, cold beads of sweat, fear. I'm not sure there's anyone I would trust were they to achieve it, but by god having one of these tech monopolies who are determined to '''help''' us achieving it first would be close to the worst case scenario.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fear a world where a tech giant like amazon or google are the ones to trigger the singularity. Genuine, cold beads of sweat, fear. I'm not sure there's anyone I would trust were they to achieve it, but by god having one of these tech monopolies who are determined to '''help''' us achieving it first would be close to the worst case scenario.
Who would be better, though? The government? Some dipshit university where they encourage safe spaces? A foreign power?
We should be very afraid no matter where it comes from.

Get Fisted

Well, you heard the man.
kiwifarms.net
I like how the only reason this was halted was because they tried to be a little secretive about it. Imagine if it never got out and went into effect. Jiminy fucking Christmas, leave the internet alone already. No information should be under the thumb of a corporation, federation, government or religion.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is a reason why my Megacorp playthrough on Stellaris is called 'Space Google'

Rikka Takarada

You only like me for my thighs
kiwifarms.net
Remember the last time someone suggested we don't let tech companies enslave us everyone threw a hissy fit? Good times.
Indeed I do; only a few days ago, Patreon basically told everyone on the site that it's your new parent whether you like it or not, and banned Sargon for insulting Nazis. Disturbingly, the exact same logic that they're using to justify banning him would get Christopher Hitchens banned as well; when he said that the Catholic Church's attitude to gays was "go away, you're a faggot" many years ago, he did exactly what Sargon has done.

So when Sargon and others decided to move to a new site, which incidentally also banned harrassih or inciting violence against groups, the "just move to another site" brigade of no platformers decided to smear the site to PayPal and allegedly blackmail Stripe (by threatening to release communications with their attorney) into adding a hate speech clause to its terms for the sole purpose of cutting stopping creators on the site getting money.

Thankfully, other companies (including Bitbacker, which would obviously kill many related problems) have volunteered to help fill the breach and only about one month's donations will probably be affected, and Peterson should be making a genuine alternative, but it's worth remembering what the situation will be like if the "activists" get their way.

Anyone who one or two companies (PayPal etc) dislike (or are told are bad by the right people targeting the wrong people) would not simply be driven from one site to the next (and to think, these people used to say "you can be somewhere else, just not here") but cut off from the ability to make money from most - perhaps all - of their work online unless they unpersoned themselves and were reborn woke in a dark parody of baptism.

So yeah, it's even worse than people losing their minds in opposition, they seem to be positively begging for large payment processors to be the arbiters of who can and cannot make any money on the Internet (hence forcing people to submit to arbitrary dictates of a company) because they like what those dictates say today. And in the very short term (ie the next month or two while things are set up) they're getting exactly that.

Last edited:

xxXDxx

just magic, ain't gotta explain shit
kiwifarms.net
This is deeply disturbing, we're now on the cusp of realising total information blackout technology and there are people who still think Google is looking out for users' interests when they censor content on their platforms. Welcome to 21st century techno-slavery, people.
Even more disturbing, we find ourselves on the same side as building-kin SJWs for this particular issue.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The internal rift over the system has had massive ramifications, effectively ending work on the censored search engine, known as Dragonfly, according to two sources familiar with the plans. The incident represents a major blow to top Google executives, including CEO Sundar Pichai, who have over the last two years made the China project one of their main priorities.
This shit has to end. All I can really think of is a law at the federal level prohibiting giving any contract whatsoever to corporations that work with our enemies to violate human rights.

Even more disturbing, we find ourselves on the same side as building-kin SJWs for this particular issue.
They'd be eagerly for it if it was to censor Google itself worldwide for SJW causes.

Lysol

99.9% Bacteria and virus free.
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure that they'll just start it up under a different project name or something like that, for whatever reason it seems like tech companies get a raging hard-on at the thought of breaking into the Chinese market.

...and banned Sargon for insulting Nazis.
Not that I agree with it regardless, but that's not entirely accurate.

Carl Benjamin said:
“I just can’t be bothered with people who chose to treat me like this. It’s really annoying. Like, I — . You’re acting like a bunch of n*****s, just so you know. You act like white n*****s. Exactly how you describe black people acting is the impression I get dealing with the Alt Right. I’m really, I’m just not in the mood to deal with this kind of disrespect.”

“Look, you carry on, but don’t expect me to then have a debate with one of your f**gots.…Like why would I bother?…Maybe you’re just acting like a n****r, mate? Have you considered that? Do you think white people act like this? White people are meant to be polite and respectful to one another, and you guys can’t even act like white people, it’s really amazing to me.”
https://patreonhq.com/hate-speech-on-patreon-a9026e52c2cf

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
This shit has to end. All I can really think of is a law at the federal level prohibiting giving any contract whatsoever to corporations that work with our enemies to violate human rights.
This is something that always irked me. Why are American companies allowed to violate the constitution so long as it happens overseas? Why are American food companies, United Fruit and Coca Cola in particular, known for having murderous death squads? How can Silicon Valley blatantly use slave labor? Oh and Google aiding Authoritarian regimes whenever it can.

It's all so tiresome.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino