Google Keynote at GDC 2019 Hints Towards Dedicated Gaming Entry - Google to Launch a new console?

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Google Keynote at GDC 2019 Hints Towards Dedicated Gaming Entry

Google sent out a fairly cryptic invite to the game developers and associated press this week in the form of a GIF (converted into relevant images below). It teases a keynote on March 19, 2019 and more information was made available shortly confirming this would be in the form of a keynote to be held at 10 am PST during GDC this year. The media giant promises to "reveal all", and also has developer-focused sessions throughout the course of the event. An early report from The Information suggests the keynote will have Google talk about their new game-streaming service, code-named Yeti. This is in line with our own expectations, after having participated in the fairly successful Project Stream beta test that concluded recently.

Kotaku went further to suggest that Yeti is a streaming service in conjunction with a hardware platform- a simple streaming box, if you will, to take on the dedicated game consoles of 2019 and beyond. Indeed, Google has been wanting to get into this highly lucrative market, with intentions to take over Twitch before Amazon pulled one over them. There remain many challenges in general to a game-streaming world, not least of which were detailed in our own editorial linked above. But, with the next generation consoles getting ready for development and Microsoft willing to explore a game-streaming future themselves, perhaps Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and others should pay very close attention to said Google keynote in less than a month's time.

https://www.techpowerup.com/252891/google-keynote-at-gdc-2019-hints-towards-dedicated-gaming-entry

chicken wings

Certified Instagram Dietician
kiwifarms.net
I've tried streaming services like PSnow. It's... ok. Functional but not very reliable due to the split second input lag. I don't think game streaming is anywhere near ready to be mainstream.

• Agree
Reactions: The Last Stand

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's gonna do badly, just like every single other game streaming service. The big issue with all of them is latency. It's not like Netflix streaming where you can watch movies easily over the cloud, you're playing a game through someone else's system and streaming it over to your TV. If you're gaming over Wi-Fi or if your internet connection is garbage, good luck even dreaming of playing games over it.

Now Xbox Game pass...that's an idea I'd like to see copied simply because it's a digital game rental service. Even Sony's PlayStation Now service started offering "offline" downloads of games because it simply works better.

neural

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dunno...isn't it a little late to get into the console market?

Also, what happened to the Oculus Rift?
Console market can be very cyclical (esp home consoles), mainly because backwards compatibility isn't something that's guaranteed among console makers, and apart from console fanboy autism, this pretty much makes the majority of people pretty flexible when it comes to switching consoles during generational shifts, because if you don't get to play your existing PS4 games on the PS5, then why not just keep your PS4 and switch to the new Hexbox or Nintendo during the next gen?

(Handhelds are a completely different game, because Nintendo has largely kept backwards compatibility whenever possible, see the various Game Boy gens)

Lipitor

huh?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's gonna do badly, just like every single other game streaming service. The big issue with all of them is latency. It's not like Netflix streaming where you can watch movies easily over the cloud, you're playing a game through someone else's system and streaming it over to your TV. If you're gaming over Wi-Fi or if your internet connection is garbage, good luck even dreaming of playing games over it.

Now Xbox Game pass...that's an idea I'd like to see copied simply because it's a digital game rental service. Even Sony's PlayStation Now service started offering "offline" downloads of games because it simply works better.
Yea, I'd think for games to be decent over streaming, they'd need to be designed in the first place with that in mind. Like how nintendo makes games designed for the hardware they're on, but all their 3rd party titles tend to be inferior to their XBOX/PS counterparts. It seems like whenever it's a really hardware intense process these games seem to stutter. I don't really know what i'm talking about.. but i think they'd have to go their own way, and not just break in saying they can offer the same games you're used to but BETTER.
Console market can be very cyclical (esp home consoles), mainly because backwards compatibility isn't something that's guaranteed among console makers, and apart from console fanboy autism, this pretty much makes the majority of people pretty flexible when it comes to switching consoles during generational shifts, because if you don't get to play your existing PS4 games on the PS5, then why not just keep your PS4 and switch to the new Hexbox or Nintendo during the next gen?

(Handhelds are a completely different game, because Nintendo has largely kept backwards compatibility whenever possible, see the various Game Boy gens)
I wonder if it will use the Play store... that could provide new owners with an instant back catalog of games... albeit.. dated.

Cardenio

Cheese?
kiwifarms.net
I think Google is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Why did Netflix succeed so hard that it the name itself became a verb ala Photoshop and Google? Because everyone wanted a giant video library of good entertainment that was constantly updating. Before Netflix you had to go to Blockbuster which was a mild inconvenience or you actually regularly bought DVDs which increased clutter in your house.

Gaming particularly amoung the hardcore is not just entertainment like a movie. It is a hobby, for many it borders on a damn obsession. And gamers want to collect, they want to support their hobby because they have sentimental attachment to their favorite franchises. And at then of the day most gamers probably spend far less than $60 a month to fuel their gaming. $60 is in all sincerity dirt cheap for a hobby.

So what I'm going to give up my ability to retain the last semblance of ownership of the game for what? To save the $400 it costs for a new console or $800 for the occasional PC Upgrade? Yeah no thanks Google. And I don't feel like upgrading my Internet Cable speeds for an extra $25 a month for faster speeds.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Google is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Why did Netflix succeed so hard that it the name itself became a noun ala Photoshop and Google? Because everyone wanted a giant video library of good entertainment that was constantly updating. Before Netflix you had to go to Blockbuster which was a mild inconvenience or you actually regularly bought DVDs which increased clutter in your house.

Gaming particularly amoung the hardcore is not just entertainment like a movie. It is a hobby, for many it borders on a damn obsession. And gamers want to collect, they want to support their hobby because they have sentimental attachment to their favorite franchises. And at then of the day most gamers probably spend far less than $60 a month to fuel their gaming. $60 is in all sincerity is dirt cheap for a hobby.

So what I'm going to give up my ability to retain the last semblance of ownership of the game for what? To save the $400 it costs for a new console or $800 for the occasional PC Upgrade? Yeah no thanks Google. And I don't feel like upgrading my Internet Cable speeds for an extra $25 a month for faster speeds.
Also you can't mod games that stream. Nor do you technically 'own' them, its kind of like borrowing. I don't think its the future at all, because I would be so doubtful to stream something.

neural

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also you can't mod games that stream. Nor do you technically 'own' them, its kind of like borrowing. I don't think its the future at all, because I would be so doubtful to stream something.
As I understand it, you don't technically "own" the games you buy digitally either, you get a license to use them.

Megaroad

Do you accept people of the Jewish persuasion?
kiwifarms.net
Isn't the internet too slow the further you get away from major cities for streaming? I remember the debacle that was HexBones reveal about always online and a Microsoft drone mocking non-costal people on twitter only to be sacked (or something).

Plus, aren't greedy ass service providers trying to install data caps which limit how much internet bandwidth you get before you exceed a datacap and get penalized? Remember a Superbunnyhop video on this.

The Shadow

Friendly Neighborhood Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
Isn't the internet too slow the further you get away from major cities for streaming? I remember the debacle that was HexBones reveal about always online and a Microsoft drone mocking non-costal people on twitter only to be sacked (or something).

Plus, aren't greedy ass service providers trying to install data caps which limit how much internet bandwidth you get before you exceed a datacap and get penalized? Remember a Superbunnyhop video on this.
I'm in a suburb-bordering-on-rural at the edge of a major urban hub. The internet speeds are variable, to say the least.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

It wasn't just a Microsoft drone that was in the controversy - it was the president of Microsoft interactive, Don Mattrick (who reported directly to the CEO) who was asked in an interview "What about people who don't/can't have constant internet access" and he smugly replied "get a 360". He left a few months later.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino