Google mass purging Crypto (Bitcoin / Ethereum / etc) Youtube Channels as "regulated goods," deleting Mobile apps. -

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net

On Christmas Eve, under the cover of the holiday downtime YouTube started to suddenly mass delete cryptocurrency videos without giving those in the community any advance warning. As we previously reported, many top YouTubers were caught up in this crypto purge with Ivan on Tech, Chris Dunn, and Chico Crypto being some of the larger channels that were affected.

Since this first report, YouTube’s cryptocurrency purge has continued with many other large channels having their videos taken down and receiving strikes on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Now YouTube has responded to this mass crypto purge in two separate updates but unfortunately for the cryptocurrency community, neither of these updates provide much clarity on the situation.

The first update from Team YouTube on Twitter was posted on Christmas Day and simply said: “We’re looking into this. Hope to share an update soon.”

The second update from a YouTube spokesperson was published in a Decrypt article on Boxing Day and said that the videos were removed “in error” and had been put back online. However, despite the spokesperson’s claims, none of the videos appear to have been restored and many of the YouTubers that were affected have pushed back against the article.

Cryptocurrency YouTuber Chris Dunn, who was caught up in the initial purge, has issued an update since YouTube made these statements. He said that one of his strikes was removed and the videos showed as “appeal approved” but very few were actually reinstated. Today he was then slapped with a fresh strike and had even more videos removed.

For now, the only thing that’s certain is that since the initial reports of a crypto purge on Christmas Eve, more cryptocurrency videos have been deleted, more channels have received strikes, and many channels have set their videos to private in an attempt to avoid future strikes which could result in permanent channel termination. This means that many of the most popular crypto YouTube channels now have no videos publicly available to viewers.

Nicholas Merten, host of the DataDash YouTube channel which has over 328,000 subscribers, reported on Christmas Day that his channel had been hit with a strike and that he would be setting all the channels videos to private to avoid “another unjustified strike.”

Merten added that he’s been using YouTube since 2007 and that his video that was uploaded months ago was hit with a “harmful content” violation.

Altcoin Buzz, another popular crypto YouTube channel with 208,000 subscribers said that it also received a strike for “harmful and dangerous” content.

Boxmining said that it had multiple videos removed by YouTube and was also hit with a strike.

The channel has over 196,000 subscribers and has now set all its videos to private as a precautionary measure.

Omar Bham’s YouTube channel Crypt0 with 120,000 subscribers also got caught up in this cryptocurrency purge with one of his videos being removed.

The current uncertainty surrounding the cryptocurrency community on YouTube is reflective of many other communities on the platform.
Kendall Rae, one of the biggest true crime YouTubers, recently had one of her videos removed under YouTube’s harmful and dangerous policy. After her appeal to have the video reinstated was rejected, it left many fearing that true crime content is now at risk on YouTube.
YouTube’s purge of comedy videos, political commentary videos, and videos that criticize other YouTubers under its updated harassment policy suggests that these genres are also no longer viable on YouTube.

Pomeranian bitch

kiwifarms.net
Could this be a result of cryptocurrency scams that predate on boomers and dumb people thinking they’ll get 10x their investment in a short time?

My mom herself was scammed out of $2000 USD (4 month of wages in the third world country I live in BTW) and told she’d have twice that amount in a year and she never got her money back. While it’s sad that such videos are being deleted because they are good for entertainment and learning, on the upside is that less people will get scammed. I saw loads of videos about cryptocurrency being used as bait to scam.

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
Bizarre that a company that willfully allows and perpetuates scams through their various services would actually acknowledge crypto as a scam.
Well, it was only a matter of time before they started pushing back against Crypto in some way. Beyond just the scam thing, limiting MasterVisaCard's control over online commerce was probably never going to fly.

Last edited:

Pixy Misa

Your local evil magical girl.
kiwifarms.net
Good.

I mean there are a few honest channels that I hope don't get affected, but many of them earned a lot of money promoting scams and Ponzi schemes. Lots of them earned small fortunes from the referrals of promoting Bitconnect only to shrug and victim blame once it turned to be a scam.

I'm not into crypto, but I still got to learn about some of these scammers after the bitconect meme made me curious.

Google people like "Trevon James" and "crypto nick" to see some of the worst scumbags that have existed on youtube. Some crypto shills are so shameless with their scams that they make people like the Paul brothers and h3h3 seem like saints. Lots of people lost entire life savings and college funds from taking advice from them, and they still had the nerve to brag about buying expensive cars and the like.

I don't doubt some good educational channels exist. But, honestly, you shouldn't be getting financial advice from strangers on youtube. Most don't have your best interest at heart.

Last edited:

Iron Hamster

Calculated chaos
kiwifarms.net
Good.

I mean there are a few honest channels that I hope don't get affected, but many of them earned a lot of money promoting scams and Ponzi schemes. Lots of them earned small fortunes from the referrals of promoting Bitconnect only to shrug and victim blame once it turned to be a scam.

I'm not into crypto, but I still got to learn about some of these scammers after the bitconect meme made me curious.

Google people like "Trevon James" and "crypto nick" to see some of the worst scumbags that have existed on youtube. Some crypto shills are so shameless with their scams that they make people like the Paul brothers and h3h3 seem like saints. Lots of people lost entire life savings and college funds from taking advice from them, and they still had the nerve to brag about buying expensive cars and the like.

I don't doubt some good educational channels exist. But, honestly, you shouldn't be getting financial advice from strangers on youtube. Most don't have your best interest at heart.
This is where the European version of google deleting scammers shit comes into play. UK is one of the worst home for these shitbags. Simon (Baxter) Stepsys and his girlfriend, Sharon James, Paul McCarthy, slumlord Sunil Patel, Steve Lawson. Even in the US they just keep going. Ryan Conley, Frank Calabro, Faith Sloan (actually has charges against her and a million dollar judgment and keeps scamming). Some clown named Lloyd Dotson even lost his legitimate ability to work in the financial field after being caught scamming with ponzis. They ALL have/had videos on youtube pushing their scams. youtube would never remove them previously but muh hatespeech has to go.

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net
Good.

I keep seeing those shitty "free money on cashapp" scam videos. Not surprising that there'd be crypto scams on the platform, too. Especially since mainstream media did a great job at portraying crypto as "I TRIED THIS WEIRD ONLINE THING AND GOT RICH" a couple of years ago for all the boomers and assorted tech illiterate normies.

Iwasamwillbe

Neos Helios and Jupiter Novus
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bizarre that a company that willfully allows and perpetuates scams through their various services would actually acknowledge crypto as a scam.
Even years ago, when I was discussing Bitcoin with my friends, they thought it was a complete bullshit scam.

Reactions: The Fool

Liber Pater

Aggressively alabaster
kiwifarms.net
Why do I have he feeling that Cryptocurrency (Read: Bitcoin) is going to become a full fledged political issue?

Edit: I spell like an exceptional individual
It already is. Currencies are inherently intertwined with politics. The fact that cryptocurrency is, by design, not directly controlled by a political authority (like sovereign currencies are) is in itself a political statement.

• Agree
Reactions: The Fool
Tags
None