Gothic Music: Post-Punk, Darkwave, Deathrock and More... - For All Those Gloomy Souls Out There

RichardMongler

kiwifarms.net
For a change, let's discuss actual Gothic music. I'm talking about the gloomy side of '80s Post-Punk and New Wave along with Deathrock, Industrial, Neofolk, Darkwave, Coldwave and other genres popular with the kids in black. We can even include Gothic Metal so long as it has obvious influences from those other bands. Stuff like Type O Negative, Saviour Machine, Moonspell, The Gathering, Stillborn or Tiamat are fine whereas Within Temptation, Epica, After Forever or Lacuna Coil are not.

As much as dear Siouxsie Sioux actively avoided being termed "Goth" or "Gothic", her influence in music and especially fashion is undeniably significant. Were it not for her, the entire subculture may not have existed in the form we know today. Fascinating how she went from gloomy Post-Punk to gloomy New Wave and Art Pop as time went on. What inspired Siouxsie's sudden change to the Louise Brooks look was growing weary from the scores of fawning teenage goth girls who did everything in their power to emulate her fashion. I imagine it'd get exhausting and downright creepy being surrounded by perfect strangers who'd imitate you down to your underwear if possible.

Equally important was Joy Division:

It hardly gets more Goth than Deathrock legends Christian Death, especially with Rozz's sneering vocals:

And, of course, what thread would be complete without The Cure or Bauhaus?

Death in June's early years with Tony Wakeford on vocals were quite different from the Neofolk they'd come to pioneer.

Last edited:

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I didn't really get into the scene (I am not big on fandoms), but I always loved Bauhaus and their non-goth successor Love & Rockets (basically Bauhaus minus Peter Murphy).

Lesser known is Tones on Tail, a band name they used in between Bauhaus and L&R.

It's from an EP they released before their only studio album under that band name.

RichardMongler

kiwifarms.net
Apparently, yesterday was World Goth Day. I'll post some Gothic Metal songs.

Saviour Machine was not only one of the oldest Gothic Metal bands, they also were arguably the first Gothic Christian Metal band. The self-titled album from 1993 and the preceding demo are some of the genre's highest achievements:

And what Gothic Metal post would be complete without Type O Negative? After weathering shittons of criticism for the song "Der Untermensch" and subsequent banning from touring in parts of Europe, Type O Negative released this masterpiece on "Bloody Kisses":

Peter Steele quite possibly took some cues from Stillborn who released "Necrospirituals" roughly around the same type Repulsion / New Minority (Type O's previous incarnation) formed:

Winnie the Poohnani

Man has entered the forest.
kiwifarms.net
Apparently, yesterday was World Goth Day. I'll post some Gothic Metal songs.

Saviour Machine was not only one of the oldest Gothic Metal bands, they also were arguably the first Gothic Christian Metal band. The self-titled album from 1993 and the preceding demo are some of the genre's highest achievements:

And what Gothic Metal post would be complete without Type O Negative? After weathering shittons of criticism for the song "Der Untermensch" and subsequent banning from touring in parts of Europe, Type O Negative released this masterpiece on "Bloody Kisses":

Peter Steele quite possibly took some cues from Stillborn who released "Necrospirituals" roughly around the same type Repulsion / New Minority (Type O's previous incarnation) formed:
Also this one, which always makes me larf. "Kill all the white people / Then we'll be free" is even more pertinent as satire now as it was when they recorded it.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Say what you mean and say it mean.
kiwifarms.net
Does Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds count as goth? I'd say no; it's more Southern Gothic as an adjective than really the genre. But if you do, he's really good, at least until Murder Ballads.

You should check out The Virgin Prunes.

Reactions: cuddle striker

The Flawless Gazelles

Die Aesthetik Der Herrschaftsfreiheit
kiwifarms.net
we can't forget ravens twin sister. dark wave is the perfect music for me when i have to focus on some coding, i don't know my brain just works better then.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino