Gov. Newsome Halts death penalties in CA. - O Come All Ye Murderers

Belligerent Monk

kiwifarms.net
LOCAL // NEWS
Gov. Newsom to order halt to California’s death penalty
Bob Egelko and Alexei KoseffMarch 12, 2019 Updated: March 13, 2019 11:45 a.m.

Comments

San Quentin State Prison in San Quentin, Calif. The California prison system's chief psychiatrist has accused the state of misleading the courts on mental health care in the prisons. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg, File)
Photo: Eric Risberg / Associated Press
Gov. Gavin Newsom is suspending the death penalty in California, calling it discriminatory and immoral, and is granting reprieves to the 737 condemned inmates on the nation’s largest Death Row.
“I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people,” Newsom said in a statement accompanying an executive order, to be issued Wednesday, declaring a moratorium on capital punishment in the state. “The death penalty is inconsistent with our bedrock values and strikes at the very heart of what it means to be a Californian.”

He plans to order an immediate shutdown of the death chamber at San Quentin State Prison, where the last execution was carried out in 2006. Newsom is also withdrawing California’s recently revised procedures for executions by lethal injection, ending — at least for now — the struggle by prison officials for more than a decade to devise procedures that would pass muster in federal court by minimizing the risk of a botched and painful execution.
His actions, disclosed to The Chronicle by an administration source late Tuesday, come in the wake of a pair of close but unsuccessful efforts by death penalty opponents to repeal the state law at the ballot box. The initiatives, both endorsed by Newsom, garnered 48 percent of the vote in 2012 and 47 percent four years later, when supporters of capital punishment won passage of a rival initiative aimed at speeding up executions. While that measure has reduced review of the execution process in state courts, California’s lethal-injection procedures are still being scrutinized in federal court.

The governor lacks authority to change the state death penalty law, which was enacted by the voters in 1978 and can be repealed only at the ballot box.
Newsom, elected to a four-year term last November, did not say whether he would support another repeal initiative in 2020. But he said he would grant reprieves to anyone sentenced to death while he holds office.

FILE - This Sept. 21, 2010, file photo shows the death chamber of the new lethal injection facility at San Quentin State Prison in San Quentin, Calif. California is set to release, Friday Nov. 6, 2015, plans to use a single drug to execute condemned prisoners instead of the three drugs that were used in 2006 to execute condemned prisoners. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg, File)
Photo: Eric Risberg / Associated Press 2010
“The intentional killing of another person is wrong,” he said. “And, as governor, I will not oversee the execution of any individual.”
Michele Hanisee, president of the Association of Deputy District Attorneys, criticized Newsom’s decision.

“The voters of the state of California support the death penalty,” she said. “That is powerfully demonstrated by their approval of Proposition 66 in 2016 to ensure the death penalty is implemented, and their rejection of measures to end the death penalty in 2016 and 2006. Gov. Newsom ... is usurping the expressed will of California voters.”
Want more news from Sacramento?
Subscribe to Political Punch, the thrice-weekly newsletter by The Chronicle's political reporters.
Read More
The announcement appears to contradict Newsom’s public position during his campaign for governor. When The Chronicle asked candidates for their views on the death penalty, Dan Newman, a spokesman for then-Lt. Gov. Newsom, cited his long-standing opposition to capital punishment. But he added that Newsom “recognizes that California voters have spoken on the issue and, if elected governor, he’d respect the will of the electorate by following and implementing the law.”
The governor’s statement lays out the case against the death penalty as biased, costly and pointless. While the state has spent $5 billion on trying, convicting, imprisoning and executing Death Row inmates since voters approved the current law in 1978, Newsom said, there is no evidence that the death penalty deters murder, and there has been no increase in homicides in states that ended capital punishment.

The death penalty has also “discriminated against defendants who are mentally ill, black and brown, or can’t afford expensive legal representation,” Newsom said. He said more than three-fifths of Califorina’s Death Row inmates are people of color, while studies have shown that those convicted of killing whites are far more likely to be sentenced to death than killers of blacks or Latinos.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said he will declare a moratorium on California’s death penalty Wednesday, March 13, 2019, and grant reprieves to 737 condemned prisoners on the nation’s largest Death Row. The move comes more than two years after the state’s voters rejected an initiative to abolish capital punishment. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)
Photo: Rich Pedroncelli / AP
“But most of all, the death penalty is absolute, irreversible and irreparable in the event of human error,” Newsom said. He noted that 164 condemned prisoners nationwide, including five in California, have been freed from Death Row since 1973 based on evidence that they were wrongfully convicted or sentenced.
The reprieves granted by Newsom are temporary orders, in effect during his governorship, as opposed to executive clemency that would reduce an inmate’s sentence to life in prison without parole. Clemency for any inmate with two or more felony convictions would require approval from a majority of the state Supreme Court.
First time posting a thread and using mobile so pardon if there's formatting issues.

Gavin "Cokehead Adulterer who slept with his best friend's wife" Newsom just put a stop to death penalties in California as though we didn't already have an issue with crime here.

The smug prick even acknowledged it's against the will of voters but said that the law as it is written in CA gives him the power to do it.

Discuss.

Belligerent Monk

kiwifarms.net
Life in prison is far cheaper, which is a shocking thing.
I refuse to buy that load of horseshit.
Feed and pay people to babysit someone for the rest of their life or buy a single bullet and hire one good marksman.

Its only expensive because "bawww cruel and unusual." As if any of these degenerates gave a single fuck about cruel and unusual when they were murdering or raping people themselves.

HeyYou

seriousposter
kiwifarms.net
But Trump's executive order regarding the wall is bad, I'm guessing. I don't like the death penalty, but it's not his job to blanket ban death sentences, it's legal in Cali. It's the voter's jobs.

SunLightStreak

Elite Illuminati Task Force Agent for Cow Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The death penalty sounds okay as an idea. Sadly with our broken criminal justice system where innocent people can be tricked into handing over a confession to a police officer who is allowed to lie; I would say that is a clear no in my book.

The death penalty only works when people have faith in the criminal justice system. At this point the faith is not there and I don't think it should be until significant changes are enacted on law enforcement and prosecutors.

At this point to most people, the idea of ever really getting a fair trial is a fantasy afforded to the people who can afford it. I know people are mourning the end of death penalty in California as a liberal victory for degenerate murderers everywhere. I would argue it is a sane decision and a loss only for a criminal justice system that needs a good hard look at itself.

HeyYou

seriousposter
kiwifarms.net
The death penalty sounds okay as an idea. Sadly with our broken criminal justice system where innocent people can be tricked into handing over a confession to a police officer who is allowed to lie; I would say that is a clear no in my book.

The death penalty only works when people have faith in the criminal justice system. At this point the faith is not there and I don't think it should be until significant changes are enacted on law enforcement and prosecutors.

At this point to most people, the idea of ever really getting a fair trial is a fantasy afforded to the people who can afford it. I know people are mourning the end of death penalty in California as a liberal victory for degenerate murderers everywhere. I would argue it is a sane decision and a loss only for a criminal justice system that needs a good hard look at itself.
It's not the end of the death penalty, this was an executive order by him alone. The death penalty is still on the books as legal.

SunLightStreak

Elite Illuminati Task Force Agent for Cow Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not the end of the death penalty, this was an executive order by him alone. The death penalty is still on the books as legal.
Seeing as he is the governor of the state, I would argue the death penalty is dead until a new republican governor gets in office. Honestly, I doubt even they these days would say bringing it back is a good idea.

The death penalty is dead for the foreseeable future in California.

Belligerent Monk

kiwifarms.net

If anything my lack of faith in it has nothing to do with overreach. Quite the contrary. Too many people get away with whatever. I know I'm in no position to bargain here but if you want to kill the death penalty then maybe try actually catching the bad guys. They've gone and made the prisons safer by not throwing the switch on offenders when they should focus more on making the streets safer for people who would never be in a criminal position to begin with.

Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

Testaclese Maximus

thoughts are getting darker by the day
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's the voter's jobs.
Voters as a whole are not competent enough to decide between literal life and death. Getting more convictions and imposing harsher sentences is seen as a positive thing by the general populace because it’s “tough on crime”.

But when it comes time to get into whether or not those convictions were obtained ethically, or those sentences were motivated by factors like race and gender, or how many of those convicts later get exonerated because they’ve been innocent the whole time, those same voters tune out because it’s not an issue they’ll ever have to deal with personally.

Look no further than Nancy Grace’s celebrity status as an authority on justice even though she got caught withholding exculpatory evidence back when she was a prosecutor for proof of the general public’s blind faith in a broken system.

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

Just a fellow who loves spicy food.
kiwifarms.net
Good, the death penalty is just government-sanctioned murder. Too many people get exonerated after they’ve been executed anyway.
Speaking as someone who dislikes the death penalty anyways (because of trust issues related to government corruption and incompetence) do you have a citation for that last bit?

Testaclese Maximus

thoughts are getting darker by the day
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking as someone who dislikes the death penalty anyways (because of trust issues related to government corruption and incompetence) do you have a citation for that last bit?

This is what I could find off the cuff. I’ll look for additional stuff later.

Capsaicin Addict

Just a fellow who loves spicy food.
kiwifarms.net

This is what I could find off the cuff. I’ll look for additional stuff later.
"Lies, damn lies, and statistics." --attributed to Benjamin Disraeli

I'd want to see the methodology behind this study. They seem to have just conjured up numbers to work with. The Innocence Project might be a better place to start.

Clockwork_PurBle

John Goldfarb, get your ass back home.
kiwifarms.net
As expected from the nanny-commie state.

Not to start an autistic argument, but has anybody else noticed a correlation between folks being pro-abortion or "financially stable white people, stop having kids" because "over population" but are also anti-death penalty because "muh feels" and "it bad" and want us to waste our resources on literal human garbage because mercy?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino