Government Sanctioned Cultural Appropriation in China - for your cringing pleasure

BoingBoingBoi

bad weird
True & Honest Fan
Ok so here's a discussion topic that might lead to some more general laughs. the bumbling clusterfuck of a wannabe empire that is china is famous for shamelessly ripping off other cultures---specifically their music---and showcasing the "chinese version" of it on a national scale in a sterile and family friendly environment, complete with popstar judges with chairs that slide and spin around, and all the mediocre melodrama you would ever want to throw up on. the performances are beyond mediocre as well. "The Voice of China" is one of these cancerous shows, perhaps the biggest of them, and it's like if American Idol was even more mediocre and unoriginal.

But while that show is hysterically cringe-inducing on its own, it's this one, "China has Hip-hop", that put me over the edge:

bizarre, shameless, unoriginal, sterile, nationalist, and government sanctioned cultural appropriation on a scale the world has never seen.

this is the tip of the iceberg for chinese "cultural appropriation" and i want so badly for sjws to bite and go up in arms about it. but alas, even shrinking the black guy in the new star wars movie wasn't enough to generate any serious outrage, i suspect this spectale too will pass over in silence.

at any rate, enjoy your cringe.

BoingBoingBoi

bad weird
True & Honest Fan
I think it's impossible to "steal" culture itself, and I don't mind cultures imitating others per se.

That said, I've noticed an affinity for odd imitations in the PRC. Like that replica of Paris that was abandoned.

Whatever happened to the days when it seemed China was inventing everything first (paper, gunpowder, etc)?

most chinese people i know will be the first to tell you that China has contributed zero to pop culture over the last 100 years, so they'll often settle for shameless imitation, or in some cases "fusion." one of my friends tried to pass this off as fusion because they're rapping in chinese. i don't buy it.

just imagine if canada made an all-white french-canadian rap competition in french, and how mind-bogglingly racist that would be. i sort of get the same type of cringe from this idiocy.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
just imagine if canada made an all-white french-canadian rap competition in french, and how mind-bogglingly racist that would be.
Maybe lame, but imitating like that isn't inherently "racist." No one "owns" rap itself.

People from China like fusions and imitations. No use getting too worked up over it.

Last edited:

BoingBoingBoi

bad weird
True & Honest Fan
Maybe lame, but imitating like that isn't inherently "racist." No one "owns" rap itself.

People from China like fusions and imitations. No use getting too worked up over it.

i should have said "be perceived as racist" and made it more clear that i'm totally neutral on and indifferent to the "ethics" of cultural appropriation. i'm just running with the assumption that cultural appropriation is something people tend to get up in arms about and if dredlocks are cultural appropriation then this sure as hell is. i'm just here for the cringe.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
i'm just running with the assumption that cultural appropriation is something people tend to get up in arms about and if dredlocks are cultural appropriation then this sure as hell is.
Ah.

But yeah, Chinese imitations can be pretty amusing from a Western perspective.

Last edited: