GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Copy+pasting images with your clipboard now works again, ending the two-month reign of terror we endured of the prior notice.

Road Work Ahead

kiwifarms.net
I got fucked and bought my card RIGHT after the tariffs hit. I bought it from an amazon marketplace, but this is when all 3090s increased by 300-400 retail to offset the prices. My 5600X I got super fucking lucky and somehow got it at MSRP. So $300.

My 3090 I got fucked on because of Trump's tariffs. I paid 2,500 with tax. Which is why I started mining. Realize, that even though I bought it from a re-seller, this was the average price of a 3090 in late January for my area once the tariffs caused the increase.

I actually got lucky because my card goes for....holy fucking shit, 3 to 5k on ebay. Jesus. All 3090s now will cost you 3k, minimum.

The only price I see remotely sane is Government Group and I've never heard of them before. And when I say, remotely sane, I mean $2,400. So basically, you could say I got mine for cheap.

Oh my God, Amazon its even worse. My card I got for 2,500 a month ago? Its now 3,600. Yeah, don't buy a 3090 right now, holy shit.

So, lets consider power usage, overall for my PC. This is a bit more complicated. I have an 800 Watt Platinum Power supply, which means my power efficiency is high. So...looking up power costs for my area (which are 0.10 cents Kw/H, my power costs are (VERY) roughly $360.70 a year. This is with it being on at max capacity, full bore, 24/7 with 4 hours of gaming/editing/high usage a day. It'll probably be way less than this. Even so, the miner I mentioned spends 200 bucks plus a month alone drinking down power. So basically less than a dollar a day on power. If this is accurate. And I'm not buying a voltimeter to check.

So, assuming the highest possible dollar amount, I make 2,300 per year minus electricity costs. If you're going to mine, get either a gold or platinum power supply. So it'd probably take two months more assuming everything is at SUPER MAX, which it isn't.
I didn't realize 3090 prices had gotten so insane. Not feeling as bad for paying 2k for my 3090 FE now. May start mining with is as well.

If I wasn't so autistic about saving old hardware I'd probably sell my old gpus as well.

Cool Dog

No longer a dog, still cool
kiwifarms.net
I got fucked and bought my card RIGHT after the tariffs hit. I bought it from an amazon marketplace, but this is when all 3090s increased by 300-400 retail to offset the prices. My 5600X I got super fucking lucky and somehow got it at MSRP. So $300.

My 3090 I got fucked on because of Trump's tariffs. I paid 2,500 with tax. Which is why I started mining. Realize, that even though I bought it from a re-seller, this was the average price of a 3090 in late January for my area once the tariffs caused the increase.

I actually got lucky because my card goes for....holy fucking shit, 3 to 5k on ebay. Jesus. All 3090s now will cost you 3k, minimum.

The only price I see remotely sane is Government Group and I've never heard of them before. And when I say, remotely sane, I mean $2,400. So basically, you could say I got mine for cheap.

Oh my God, Amazon its even worse. My card I got for 2,500 a month ago? Its now 3,600. Yeah, don't buy a 3090 right now, holy shit.

So, lets consider power usage, overall for my PC. This is a bit more complicated. I have an 800 Watt Platinum Power supply, which means my power efficiency is high. So...looking up power costs for my area (which are 0.10 cents Kw/H, my power costs are (VERY) roughly $360.70 a year. This is with it being on at max capacity, full bore, 24/7 with 4 hours of gaming/editing/high usage a day. It'll probably be way less than this. Even so, the miner I mentioned spends 200 bucks plus a month alone drinking down power. So basically less than a dollar a day on power. If this is accurate. And I'm not buying a voltimeter to check.

So, assuming the highest possible dollar amount, I make 2,300 per year minus electricity costs. If you're going to mine, get either a gold or platinum power supply. So it'd probably take two months more assuming everything is at SUPER MAX, which it isn't.
In my shit country with 50% import tariffs and on top of that 21% sales tax the best I can do right now is a pathetic 1660 super, assuming prices didnt go up again because of our 51% annual inflation

Got late to the party, cant get in now (:_(

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So for anyone who wants to mine, I'll make a basic GPU mining guide.

1) Make sure it is worth it. Really. Because you will be stressing your card. This site:

Is how much you could make....if you did not give an EVERLIVING SHIT about your card. Remember that when looking at those dollar signs, a 3060 Ti can go for $800 or 900 now, the price of a fucking 3080. You cannot afford to destroy your card.

If you are ADAMANT about doing it and your card is no longer under warranty, open your card up, get 100% isopropyl Alcohol and some kim-wipes. Clean off the thermal paste, buy expensive new paste. replace the thermal pads with new ones. Put it back together. Do this and buy a custom cooler for $100. It'll set you back probably, $150. But if your run your card at max with low temps, you can make that money back.

If you aren't sure, DO NOT RISK IT. GPUs cannot be replaced cheaply in this market.

2) Before you mine, I suggest investigating your state and country's crypto laws. In my state, it is probably the absolute worst state to deal in crypto. I've got like 3 options and I have to give a government ID and my first born to register at them. Your first step is finding a wallet. And this, is a bitch.

I recommend something simple, with low fees to transfer into your local currency. Converting from one crypto to another they're going to take chunks out of you. So figure all that shit out, whether its taxable, how you can get the money. Do all this before you even start to mine. Then once you have all that figured out, where to actually you know, get paid, start looking at sites. Make sure you read reviews and they're not trash. Because a lot of them are shady as fuck. I use Coinbase. Which is basically a crypto exchange for boomers because its like the one of three that is allowed to operate in my state.

MAKE SURE YOU COUNT YOUR GAINS AS INCOME. Its all taxable. If you don't want to register for anything, you can buy a hardware wallet and mine directly to it. These will run you about $50, depending. In my state there's no point.

So find a good, nice, non-shady wallet and/or exchange you can get paid. Now comes more annoying shit.

3) Now once you are ready to mine, there are a LOT of options out there. A. lot. I was lazy and just did Nicehash, because my state fucking sucks with crypto. I just wanted the easiest thing available to me and the least painful. So you might be better looking at your options. Because some coins my state you can't trade (Like fucking BAT, all I can do is fucking stare menacingly at it in my browser). Pretty much everything except for Bitcoin is GPU mineable (you can only mine Bitcoin with ASCI miners as its too complicated for GPUs. And that is basically a business, where you need cheap land, a cheap building and cheap electricity, which is why China will beat you).

So, let me explain how nice-hash works.

Nicehash rents your PC out like a whore for the most profitable currency. You're basically mining for degenerate gamblers and they pay you for it. However...they only pay you in Bitcoin. So all of your earnings are tied to BTC, which is then tied to the most profitable coin on the market currently.. That's its downside. If you want some other coin, you're going to have to convert it. I'm completely uninterested in playing the crypto market, so Bitcoin to USD is fine for me. If you want anything else, there's a whole forum for it (the bidness). I just do Nicehash to Coinbase to my bank account.

There's also solo mining and pool mining. Just do pool mining. Its more profitable. Just make sure they're not raping you over the cut they take from it.

4) Ok, so you've got your wallet, your algo, now you just start mining, right?

Fucking wrong. You've got more shit to do. If you just start mining, the algo is going to fucking eat your card alive and spit it out. If you don't give a shit then I don't, but if you care, here's what I did.

The 3090 is a fucking beast and my case is a fucking hotbox of glass with no cooling. However, it has a door I can open and close. You MIGHT have to take the side of your case off if your case sucks and doesn't have proper airflow. Very few cases have magnetic doors you can open and close. So make sure your card has decent airflow.

Next, you're going to want to get: MSI Afterburner, HWiNFO (For GPU temps), CoreTemp (For your CPU Temps) and a benchmarking program.

Set up mining profiles on MSI Afterburner and your gaming profiles too. Pin this to your desktop. This program is how you're going to save your card from fucking melting. Under-volting is complicated, so look up a guide, I'm not gonna be responsible. But the basic profile for mining if you don't want to bother under-volting: Turn your fucking core clock to 0. You do not need core clock. Pump your memory overclock as far as it will go until it crashes your system. Set it just short of that. Adjust your power limit for thermals and profit.

For the ideal life of your card and not replacing anything: GPU temps 60 and Below. Fan Speed at around 60. VRAM depends on your card model. It'll thermal limit differently. Don't let it thermal limit and email the manufacturer if you are super curious. Just remember VRAM temp is going to be higher than even the hot-spot temp (the highest temperature a sensor picks up on your card) because its measured in the silicon. Oh, and not all cards support measuring VRAM temps. Some manufactures don't bother monitoring it and let it throttle on its own.

If you can't measure VRAM, your card is at 56 degrees and your fans are at 100% without you touching anything? Probably a sign your memory is getting throttled. You can also see if your hash rate plummets. High temperature will nuke your hash rate (the amount of time your card takes to solve a problem, IE: how quick you earn money).

Realistically, right now, my card is at 60 degrees, VRAM is 102 and the Hot Spot is 73. My hash rate is 113 (about average) and my profit is around $10 USD a day. The 3090 is supposed to get a hash rate of about 120. I'm not killing my hardware for an extra dollar or two. Also remember your surrounding environment will influence your temps. If you can't be bothered, take your side panel off and just buy a fucking fan and point it inside the case. Or buy a portable air conditioner or something. Good room ventilation affects these temps.

Once a week, benchmark your card. Record scores to see if performance is degenerating. If performance is steadily going down, check temps, your card, what have you. Always keep in mind what profile you have on. Because you will be wondering why is your room suddenly five degrees hotter when you're mining? Oops, left your gaming profile on while your miner is going. Why is my overclock suddenly crashing and my game is shitting the bed when I move the camera two inches? Because you left your mining profile on and your core clock is 1440 Mhz. Which is what mine is right now lol. Memory is overclocked to 10k Mhz. Ballin'.

Also, power supply. Make sure, make fucking SURE, you have a name brand power supply of gold or better. Basically, the bronze, silver, gold, platinum and titanium are how efficient your power supply is. Meaning how much of those 800 Watts or 600 Watts you're actually getting and isn't getting lost. The higher the rating, the more efficient and the less your electricity costs. Realistically, you should be set already with a name-brand Gold Power supply if you're gaming. If you cheaped out on your power supply...well, you just don't fucking do that. Gold is fine, you don't need higher if you're mining unless you're running a GPU farm and you need to squeeze every last cent from it or you are a power user and want to get every last bit from your components. I just got a platinum because the EVGA gold supply I bought doesn't mesh well with the 3090. And it was on sale and made by Germans, so I can trust it. Its a BeQuiet! Brand.

That said, it is not important that you make the most profit. It is incredibly important to preserve your card. Because my old 1080 is going for nearly a fucking grand, Not a 1080 Ti, a 1080. These are dark times. So if you don't want to risk it, I really recommend you don't.

I didn't realize 3090 prices had gotten so insane. Not feeling as bad for paying 2k for my 3090 FE now. May start mining with is as well.

If I wasn't so autistic about saving old hardware I'd probably sell my old gpus as well.
It is bad dude. Really fucking bad. Because tariffs, scalpers jacked up the prices and you're just going to have to point an air condition at it and run the 3090 on a test bench at max everything if you want to even get your money back.

Just be cogent that mining and doing literally anything else is a fucking pain in the ass. My recommendation? Pin CPU-Z, HW.INFO, MSI Afterburner and NiceHash to your task bad. It literally happened to me again when I was playing a game in VR desktop. Like a fucking retard I was like, "Why is my headset lagging and VR Desktop crashing?" Its because I left my underclocked, undervolted mining profile on like a fucking mongoloid.

I'm not even getting the maximum amount of money I could be getting. If I went all in and did not give a shit about my card, I could make $12-15 a day. But I under volt and purposefully underpower my card, because you know, a replacement if fucking 2 grand over MSRP and a grand over what I paid.
In my shit country with 50% import tariffs and on top of that 21% sales tax the best I can do right now is a pathetic 1660 super, assuming prices didnt go up again because of our 51% annual inflation

Got late to the party, cant get in now (:_(
Looking at prices...yeah, a dollar a day. Not even worth it for you my friend.

I mean, realistically its bad for everyone on the planet. I just go....lucky? I mean, $2,500 for a 3090 now looks like a fucking steal, which is pathetic. Considering it was supposed to be what, $1,500? Hahah, an article from September said a 'whopping $1,500'. Talk about shit that aged fucking poorly.

Dude, don't feel bad. Here's a meme to make you feel better:

Its also kind of hysterical to see PC hardware channels just attempting to review these things. "Yeah, you won't be able to buy this for this generation, but they sent me this shit and are paying me, so I fucking have to."

By the by, your 1660? Its $500. The price of a 3060 Ti. That's how fucked this market is.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, nobody else can either. You might get lucky when AMD releases their cards, because NVIDIA is churning out a bunch of lower end ones at the same time. I think most people will be SOL for the 3080/3090 AMD competitors because NVIDIA is not shipping many of those.
Now I cant even get that, FML

And idk if you're lucky or not but I'm definitely unlucky
I mean I paid like 1.2k over MSRP, its not more of me being lucky, I think its "Well, it could have been worse."

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
best I can do right now is a pathetic 1660 super
Go for a 1650 Super, and good is. That's good enough to, at least, run modern games and what I would do if I had to replace my current GPU. Why pay more than you have to for something you don't want? Just wait a year for either the market or your savings to adapt to your needs.

CreamyHerman’s

(Worrying intensified)
kiwifarms.net
Well, nobody else can either. You might get lucky when AMD releases their cards, because NVIDIA is churning out a bunch of lower end ones at the same time. I think most people will be SOL for the 3080/3090 AMD competitors because NVIDIA is not shipping many of those.

I mean I paid like 1.2k over MSRP, its not more of me being lucky, I think its "Well, it could have been worse."
We’re you able to sell your old GPU at a profit?

Road Work Ahead

kiwifarms.net
So for anyone who wants to mine, I'll make a basic GPU mining guide.

1) Make sure it is worth it. Really. Because you will be stressing your card. This site:

Is how much you could make....if you did not give an EVERLIVING SHIT about your card. Remember that when looking at those dollar signs, a 3060 Ti can go for $800 or 900 now, the price of a fucking 3080. You cannot afford to destroy your card.

If you are ADAMANT about doing it and your card is no longer under warranty, open your card up, get 100% isopropyl Alcohol and some kim-wipes. Clean off the thermal paste, buy expensive new paste. replace the thermal pads with new ones. Put it back together. Do this and buy a custom cooler for $100. It'll set you back probably, $150. But if your run your card at max with low temps, you can make that money back.

If you aren't sure, DO NOT RISK IT. GPUs cannot be replaced cheaply in this market.

2) Before you mine, I suggest investigating your state and country's crypto laws. In my state, it is probably the absolute worst state to deal in crypto. I've got like 3 options and I have to give a government ID and my first born to register at them. Your first step is finding a wallet. And this, is a bitch.

I recommend something simple, with low fees to transfer into your local currency. Converting from one crypto to another they're going to take chunks out of you. So figure all that shit out, whether its taxable, how you can get the money. Do all this before you even start to mine. Then once you have all that figured out, where to actually you know, get paid, start looking at sites. Make sure you read reviews and they're not trash. Because a lot of them are shady as fuck. I use Coinbase. Which is basically a crypto exchange for boomers because its like the one of three that is allowed to operate in my state.

MAKE SURE YOU COUNT YOUR GAINS AS INCOME. Its all taxable. If you don't want to register for anything, you can buy a hardware wallet and mine directly to it. These will run you about $50, depending. In my state there's no point.

So find a good, nice, non-shady wallet and/or exchange you can get paid. Now comes more annoying shit.

3) Now once you are ready to mine, there are a LOT of options out there. A. lot. I was lazy and just did Nicehash, because my state fucking sucks with crypto. I just wanted the easiest thing available to me and the least painful. So you might be better looking at your options. Because some coins my state you can't trade (Like fucking BAT, all I can do is fucking stare menacingly at it in my browser). Pretty much everything except for Bitcoin is GPU mineable (you can only mine Bitcoin with ASCI miners as its too complicated for GPUs. And that is basically a business, where you need cheap land, a cheap building and cheap electricity, which is why China will beat you).

So, let me explain how nice-hash works.

Nicehash rents your PC out like a whore for the most profitable currency. You're basically mining for degenerate gamblers and they pay you for it. However...they only pay you in Bitcoin. So all of your earnings are tied to BTC, which is then tied to the most profitable coin on the market currently.. That's its downside. If you want some other coin, you're going to have to convert it. I'm completely uninterested in playing the crypto market, so Bitcoin to USD is fine for me. If you want anything else, there's a whole forum for it (the bidness). I just do Nicehash to Coinbase to my bank account.

There's also solo mining and pool mining. Just do pool mining. Its more profitable. Just make sure they're not raping you over the cut they take from it.

4) Ok, so you've got your wallet, your algo, now you just start mining, right?

Fucking wrong. You've got more shit to do. If you just start mining, the algo is going to fucking eat your card alive and spit it out. If you don't give a shit then I don't, but if you care, here's what I did.

The 3090 is a fucking beast and my case is a fucking hotbox of glass with no cooling. However, it has a door I can open and close. You MIGHT have to take the side of your case off if your case sucks and doesn't have proper airflow. Very few cases have magnetic doors you can open and close. So make sure your card has decent airflow.

Next, you're going to want to get: MSI Afterburner, HWiNFO (For GPU temps), CoreTemp (For your CPU Temps) and a benchmarking program.

Set up mining profiles on MSI Afterburner and your gaming profiles too. Pin this to your desktop. This program is how you're going to save your card from fucking melting. Under-volting is complicated, so look up a guide, I'm not gonna be responsible. But the basic profile for mining if you don't want to bother under-volting: Turn your fucking core clock to 0. You do not need core clock. Pump your memory overclock as far as it will go until it crashes your system. Set it just short of that. Adjust your power limit for thermals and profit.

For the ideal life of your card and not replacing anything: GPU temps 60 and Below. Fan Speed at around 60. VRAM depends on your card model. It'll thermal limit differently. Don't let it thermal limit and email the manufacturer if you are super curious. Just remember VRAM temp is going to be higher than even the hot-spot temp (the highest temperature a sensor picks up on your card) because its measured in the silicon. Oh, and not all cards support measuring VRAM temps. Some manufactures don't bother monitoring it and let it throttle on its own.

If you can't measure VRAM, your card is at 56 degrees and your fans are at 100% without you touching anything? Probably a sign your memory is getting throttled. You can also see if your hash rate plummets. High temperature will nuke your hash rate (the amount of time your card takes to solve a problem, IE: how quick you earn money).

Realistically, right now, my card is at 60 degrees, VRAM is 102 and the Hot Spot is 73. My hash rate is 113 (about average) and my profit is around $10 USD a day. The 3090 is supposed to get a hash rate of about 120. I'm not killing my hardware for an extra dollar or two. Also remember your surrounding environment will influence your temps. If you can't be bothered, take your side panel off and just buy a fucking fan and point it inside the case. Or buy a portable air conditioner or something. Good room ventilation affects these temps.

Once a week, benchmark your card. Record scores to see if performance is degenerating. If performance is steadily going down, check temps, your card, what have you. Always keep in mind what profile you have on. Because you will be wondering why is your room suddenly five degrees hotter when you're mining? Oops, left your gaming profile on while your miner is going. Why is my overclock suddenly crashing and my game is shitting the bed when I move the camera two inches? Because you left your mining profile on and your core clock is 1440 Mhz. Which is what mine is right now lol. Memory is overclocked to 10k Mhz. Ballin'.

Also, power supply. Make sure, make fucking SURE, you have a name brand power supply of gold or better. Basically, the bronze, silver, gold, platinum and titanium are how efficient your power supply is. Meaning how much of those 800 Watts or 600 Watts you're actually getting and isn't getting lost. The higher the rating, the more efficient and the less your electricity costs. Realistically, you should be set already with a name-brand Gold Power supply if you're gaming. If you cheaped out on your power supply...well, you just don't fucking do that. Gold is fine, you don't need higher if you're mining unless you're running a GPU farm and you need to squeeze every last cent from it or you are a power user and want to get every last bit from your components. I just got a platinum because the EVGA gold supply I bought doesn't mesh well with the 3090. And it was on sale and made by Germans, so I can trust it. Its a BeQuiet! Brand.

That said, it is not important that you make the most profit. It is incredibly important to preserve your card. Because my old 1080 is going for nearly a fucking grand, Not a 1080 Ti, a 1080. These are dark times. So if you don't want to risk it, I really recommend you don't.

It is bad dude. Really fucking bad. Because tariffs, scalpers jacked up the prices and you're just going to have to point an air condition at it and run the 3090 on a test bench at max everything if you want to even get your money back.

Just be cogent that mining and doing literally anything else is a fucking pain in the ass. My recommendation? Pin CPU-Z, HW.INFO, MSI Afterburner and NiceHash to your task bad. It literally happened to me again when I was playing a game in VR desktop. Like a fucking retard I was like, "Why is my headset lagging and VR Desktop crashing?" Its because I left my underclocked, undervolted mining profile on like a fucking mongoloid.

I'm not even getting the maximum amount of money I could be getting. If I went all in and did not give a shit about my card, I could make $12-15 a day. But I under volt and purposefully underpower my card, because you know, a replacement if fucking 2 grand over MSRP and a grand over what I paid.

Looking at prices...yeah, a dollar a day. Not even worth it for you my friend.

I mean, realistically its bad for everyone on the planet. I just go....lucky? I mean, $2,500 for a 3090 now looks like a fucking steal, which is pathetic. Considering it was supposed to be what, $1,500? Hahah, an article from September said a 'whopping $1,500'. Talk about shit that aged fucking poorly.

Dude, don't feel bad. Here's a meme to make you feel better:

Its also kind of hysterical to see PC hardware channels just attempting to review these things. "Yeah, you won't be able to buy this for this generation, but they sent me this shit and are paying me, so I fucking have to."

By the by, your 1660? Its $500. The price of a 3060 Ti. That's how fucked this market is.
Thanks for the tips.

As for my rig, I've got.
Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum PSU
RTX 3090 FE on water with one 360mm rad and one 280mm rad that it shares with a 3900X.

With a fan to aid the memory chips on the backside of the pcb, I'm right around 88 C and the GPU core is a 54 C, so thermals look pretty good.

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We’re you able to sell your old GPU at a profit?
I didn't sell my 1080, I'm still working on the 3090. Honestly, I'm holding onto my 1080 because I always like to keep a spare around. If you buy a 3090 now...pfft. Even if you water cool it, you're still getting 12 bucks a day and you'd have to run it 24/7 for like 2 years to break even. Compare that to me where in 2 years, I'll have paid off a 3090, a full gaming PC, a mechanical keyboard and a fucking Valve Index. with probably some leftover if I run it 24/7. Even more if BTC doesn't fucking crater. So yeah, do not buy a 3090 for anything less than MSRP now.
Thanks for the tips.

As for my rig, I've got.
Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum PSU
RTX 3090 FE on water with one 360mm rad and one 280mm rad that it shares with a 3900X.

With a fan to aid the memory chips on the backside of the pcb, I'm right around 88 C and the GPU core is a 54 C, so thermals look pretty good.
Yeah, you should be fine

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Excuse me, I currently have some brain damage.
kiwifarms.net
So...looking up power costs for my area (which are 0.10 cents Kw/H, my power costs are (VERY) roughly $360.70 a year.
$360 a year!? I pay over €600 a year for electricity.
why no powervr fanboys?
Read the op, 2025 is the year of PowerVR based Matrox cards.

But I've posted so much PowerVR shit in every thread where it's barely relevant that I don't want to push my luck.
Go for a 1650 Super, and good is. That's good enough to, at least, run modern games and what I would do if I had to replace my current GPU. Why pay more than you have to for something you don't want? Just wait a year for either the market or your savings to adapt to your needs.
You can SLI 1030's... just saying.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
$360 a year!? I pay over €600 a year for electricity.
US electricity is ridiculously cheap. I've never closely looked into it but I'm pretty sure in most european countries mining like that will never be profitable if you don't also steal electricity. Maybe in some of the former eastern bloc at best. No idea.

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
US electricity is ridiculously cheap. I've never closely looked into it but I'm pretty sure in most european countries mining like that will never be profitable if you don't also steal electricity. Maybe in some of the former eastern bloc at best. No idea.
To offset that you can buy a more efficent power supply, but a gaming machine/workstation consumes a lot of power.

And remember when I was saying the fluctuations are killer? I'm now earning 12 a day, which would make my yearly profit $3.700 which means my computer will be paid off. It really is feast or famine. Just be causitious, think about what you are doing nd you should be fine. You should also buy an electronic air blower for like $80. I bought one on amazon and haven't bought a case of canned air in like 5 years.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
You should also buy an electronic air blower for like $80. I bought one on amazon and haven't bought a case of canned air in like 5 years.
I just take it out in the garden and hose it off, sans the PSU, then toss it on the roof of the shed to dry in the sun. Nothing has ever broken for me, not even a hard drive, and I treat my components like they're indentured Irish. It's not unusual to find them on internal HDDs but I found a partial coffee cup stain on the backside of a motherboard once.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
I think I'm ready to buy a new case. The one I wanted wasn't in stock and newer came back into stock so it's time to look at other things.

Being picky I see that the Fractal Design Define R5 is close to what I want.

It looks like this, almost exactly the same as something I bought ten years ago so that warms my heart. Shame it's midi and not mini.
fractalr51.JPG

It has this:
fractalr52.JPG
I have a bunch of mechanical drives that are fine that I don't want to go full Sophie's Choice or Frankenstein into externals. 7200rpm drives, there's still work in them.

Annoyance: The USB port placement. I don't like the orientation and how close they are to the edge.
fractalr53.JPG

I want them here like on this Phantek(that I do not want).
fractalr5_other.JPG

Oh shit maybe I want the Phantek.
phantekohshit.JPG

idk. I want to keep carrying over drives from older systems and not have stiff USB cables whip my phone to the ground while charging.

Stilgar of Troon

Festive Facial Fremen-isation Surgery
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I'm ready to buy a new case. The one I wanted wasn't in stock and newer came back into stock so it's time to look at other things.

Being picky I see that the Fractal Design Define R5 is close to what I want.

It looks like this, almost exactly the same as something I bought ten years ago so that warms my heart. Shame it's midi and not mini.
View attachment 1977116

It has this:
View attachment 1977120
I have a bunch of mechanical drives that are fine that I don't want to go full Sophie's Choice or Frankenstein into externals. 7200rpm drives, there's still work in them.

Annoyance: The USB port placement. I don't like the orientation and how close they are to the edge.
View attachment 1977126

I want them here like on this Phantek(that I do not want).
View attachment 1977164

Oh shit maybe I want the Phantek.
View attachment 1977182

idk. I want to keep carrying over drives from older systems and not have stiff USB cables whip my phone to the ground while charging.
Depending on how many 3.5" bays you need/want, the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh is worth a look. I ended up getting the Fractal Define S recently, based mostly on support for 3.5" drives; wish I'd spotted the Lancool II first. Oh well...

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Depending on how many 3.5" bays you need/want, the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh is worth a look. I ended up getting the Fractal Define S recently, based mostly on support for 3.5" drives; wish I'd spotted the Lancool II first. Oh well...
Lian Li is a legend going way back but that is RGB as hell. How low they have sunken... I have 3 HDDs now from 256GB to 3TB as well as two SSDs on SATA. I would just like the room to now that I could buy a SATA card and have more internal instead of external.

And the front facing USB orientation is a bugbear of mine, probably because of getting a charging cable with a phone that was as rigid as John Holmes cock. That one knocked over coffee cups, it didn't bend for shit.

edit: in other news, I seem to have solved my repeating issue of "external disk going bad, time to replace" and it's just an AMD issue with USB.

Stilgar of Troon

Festive Facial Fremen-isation Surgery
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lian Li is a legend going way back but that is RGB as hell. How low they have sunken... I have 3 HDDs now from 256GB to 3TB as well as two SSDs on SATA. I would just like the room to now that I could buy a SATA card and have more internal instead of external.
Yeah, I'd be disabling the RBG, for sure, or at the least, setting it to White. That shit is painful.
And the front facing USB orientation is a bugbear of mine, probably because of getting a charging cable with a phone that was as rigid as John Holmes cock. That one knocked over coffee cups, it didn't bend for shit.
That's a fair point, I hadn't clocked that; my bad.
edit: in other news, I seem to have solved my repeating issue of "external disk going bad, time to replace" and it's just an AMD issue with USB.
Due to my ludicrous amounts of onboard, I've not had to use any external storage, but I'm intrigued; what's that about then? I know AMD's Thunderbolt implementation is dogshit, but I'd not heard about USB-specific problems.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Due to my ludicrous amounts of onboard, I've not had to use any external storage, but I'm intrigued; what's that about then? I know AMD's Thunderbolt implementation is dogshit, but I'd not heard about USB-specific problems.
It was initially said that with Ryzen 5000 there were USB bad lanes, but it even goes backwards towards older boards(before the 500 series) and they released an advisory and new chipset driver. I have a 450 board and thought an external disk was dying because it disconnected here and there. It was a Seagate so... The behavior was that it spiked, did nothing while copies stalled, then the disk disconnected. But I figured out that if I used robocopy and /ipg to lower the transfer rate everything was fine*. I checked and rechecked the disk, files weren't corrupted. It just couldn't handle USB 3 speeds. Weird. With the latest chipset drivers normal windows copy-paste of large files seem to work fine.

*it couldn't hand USB 3 speeds.

Last edited: