GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

TheRedChair

Ultimate Chaos, Ultimate Confort.
kiwifarms.net
Well.... I got my 5900 OEM and it is now installed.

20210912_091545.jpg

It really does look brand new and at $430.00, for a 12cores/24threads 65 watts that is around 5% slower than a 5900X? It FUCKING ROCKS!!!

Last edited:

werbwub

kiwifarms.net
What are your thoughts on IPS and VA panels? I'm looking to replace my IPS monitor with a VA tv but i'm not sure if VA will be a good upgrade. On one hand VA has amazing contrast but on the other hand they suffer from black smearing. my current IPS is pretty good but suffers from the dreaded IPS glow and poor contrast. black smearing shouldn't be to bad because the tv's that I'm looking at run at only 60htz. If your wondering why i don't buy a VA monitor it's because they are more expensive and are smaller.

Kheapathic

Now Selling: KF Registration Invitations.
kiwifarms.net
I got insanely envious for a moment thinking you WON won these. I wish I felt remotely comfortable dropping $2600 before tax on a goddamn GPU and mobo.
Trust me, I had a moment too. I texted my best friend, told me congrats as I've been trying for over a year to get a 30 series (currently on a 4770K and 650). Then call him up 5 minutes later and let him talk me into pushing the buy button because once the initial hype wore off... "Huh... That's a big fucking number."

But, can use it for work, editing, and more. On top of if I don't break anything, I should be good for the next decade or so,

asr

kiwifarms.net
Anyone have any recommendations for a mid size case with good air flow? As per the gamers nexus video I'm looking at the Phanteks Eclipse P500A (DRB), managed to snag a ryzen 5600x for a decent price and I plan to top mount an arctic freezer 2 (280 mm). I really like the aesthetics of the case outside of one gripe: you can't lock the glass panel. With the case I also planned on getting a Noctua fan for exhaust given that there isn't an exhaust fan but it does seem to come with 3 decent front fans (I could give less of a shit about the RGB). Price point wise I'm not really looking to spend more than 130 (I'll splurge for good fans if needed though)

Road Work Ahead

kiwifarms.net
Anyone have any recommendations for a mid size case with good air flow? As per the gamers nexus video I'm looking at the Phanteks Eclipse P500A (DRB), managed to snag a ryzen 5600x for a decent price and I plan to top mount an arctic freezer 2 (280 mm). I really like the aesthetics of the case outside of one gripe: you can't lock the glass panel. With the case I also planned on getting a Noctua fan for exhaust given that there isn't an exhaust fan but it does seem to come with 3 decent front fans (I could give less of a shit about the RGB). Price point wise I'm not really looking to spend more than 130 (I'll splurge for good fans if needed though)
Fractal's Meshify 2 Compact ($110) or Lian Li's Lancool 2 ($130) are good cases, include 3 fans, and are a bit cheaper than the P500A. The Lancool 2 doesn't officially support top mounted 280mm rads, but I've heard they do in fact, fit.

I probably wouldn't buy a noctua fan just for exhaust and would move one of the 3 intake fans to the rear on the P500A.

asr

kiwifarms.net
Fractal's Meshify 2 Compact ($110) or Lian Li's Lancool 2 ($130) are good cases, include 3 fans, and are a bit cheaper than the P500A. The Lancool 2 doesn't officially support top mounted 280mm rads, but I've heard they do in fact, fit.

I probably wouldn't buy a noctua fan just for exhaust and would move one of the 3 intake fans to the rear on the P500A.
Thanks for the advice; I was already looking at the mesh 2, what does the compact have over it outside of space saving? The Lian did catch my eye for a bit. In regards to just moving an intake fan to he back, tbh I legit didn't even think about doing that.

Road Work Ahead

kiwifarms.net
Thanks for the advice; I was already looking at the mesh 2, what does the compact have over it outside of space saving? The Lian did catch my eye for a bit. In regards to just moving an intake fan to he back, tbh I legit didn't even think about doing that.
The main difference between the normal 2 and the compact is the size and pricing. The compact is ~$30 cheaper and smaller in every dimension. (18.70" H x 8.27" W x 16.69" D vs 21.34" H x 9.45" W x 18.66" D). It does only support 120mm exhaust fans vs 140mm but I really doubt that will make any noticeable difference. The compact also only supports GPUs up to 360mm long and PSU's up to 200mm; neither of those should be an issue as I'm not even sure there is anything on the market that exceeds those.

Unless you are planning on doing open loop liquid cooling, I don't see much of a reason to take the normal meshify 2 over the compact

asr

kiwifarms.net
The main difference between the normal 2 and the compact is the size and pricing. The compact is ~$30 cheaper and smaller in every dimension. (18.70" H x 8.27" W x 16.69" D vs 21.34" H x 9.45" W x 18.66" D). It does only support 120mm exhaust fans vs 140mm but I really doubt that will make any noticeable difference. The compact also only supports GPUs up to 360mm long and PSU's up to 200mm; neither of those should be an issue as I'm not even sure there is anything on the market that exceeds those.

Unless you are planning on doing open loop liquid cooling, I don't see much of a reason to take the normal meshify 2 over the compact
Huh I didn't know that, I've been out of the PC scene since like 2012 so it's been a learning experience catching up. Would you recommend getting different fans to replace the stock fans on the compact case? Also will the compact case fit a 280 radiator mount on the top?

Road Work Ahead

kiwifarms.net
Huh I didn't know that, I've been out of the PC scene since like 2012 so it's been a learning experience catching up. Would you recommend getting different fans to replace the stock fans on the compact case? Also will the compact case fit a 280 radiator mount on the top?
Looks like the compact only supports 240mm rads. Unless you already have the 280mm aio, I'd probably go with something smaller, it's pretty overkill for a 5600x. I'd probably go with a good air cooler like the scythe fuma 2 over an aio.

If you already have the cooler, you will have to go with the normal meshify 2.

The stock fans are fine, and certainly not worth spending money to replace.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Looks like the compact only supports 240mm rads. Unless you already have the 280mm aio, I'd probably go with something smaller, it's pretty overkill for a 5600x. I'd probably go with a good air cooler like the scythe fuma 2 over an aio.

If you already have the cooler, you will have to go with the normal meshify 2.

The stock fans are fine, and certainly not worth spending money to replace.
Agreed with that, the GPU will always drown out decent CPU air (tower) cooling solutions. The CPU getting hotter using a Fuma 2 or equivalent sounds like a bored, through the nose, sigh in a library. In my opinion and when compared to a graphics card. Stock coolers, especially Intel's, sound like jet engines, they're not remotely in the same league as a tower cooler.
A waterblock for a GPU though, I'm completely on board with that idea.

YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED!

Wasn't expecting to get this today, I won the New Egg shuffle.
This isn't like The Island where they harvest your RAM and PSU then sends it to China, right?

TheRedChair

kiwifarms.net
I lost a great deal of respect to just about everyone on youtube. This includes Gamers Nexus. Because they did not post the terrible wattage and heat increases of the 3080/3090 series at launch.

A 400watt heater inside your computer case.

This is what happens when you sign NDA's With Ngreedia.
This is what happens when your job is a digital one and you are NOT the master of your Fate.

Goggle is...

Anyhow, I recommend pretty much any mid size ATX case built before 2016. I am currently using both Corsair 400r and 500r. I swear by them so much I have a few in storage... particularly the 400r. You can still pick one up for around $75. I actually found one new, old stock back in early 2021 and damn it went into storage for my next build.

As posted previously I only run 3 fans. 2 Artic 140mm on the side and the one that came (120mm) in the case in back.

I run HOT components with NO issue, because overall they are Cheaper to purchase. The MSI X570 A-pro and the Reference AMD 5700 (and 5700X) were mention as having heat issues up in Tech/Youtube land. So in 2019 the mobo and the 5700 only costed me $400 and have absolutely zero issues with heat AND/OR components.

You just got to know how to do air flow management.

With current case styles you are going to have more heat issues than the other cases. Because most people went for Style instead of function. Nice neat cases require more fans to keep things cool.

I've been system building for 33 years now and you can fine tune your airflow a lot better than the newer cases IMHO. Heat is your greatest enemy, so I chose function over style.

You also lose less functionality when you lose those drive bays.

Case in point. I have 7 SSD's with Different OS's + 1 HDD that are all hot swappable. I don't have to worry about down time at all as well as security issues on my more important information.

I also have Blu ray to watch my movies while I work. Not everyone is on my flash drives so having a lot of options to work with makes things a whole lot easier for me and saves money at the long run.

But again It's up to you.

werbwub

kiwifarms.net
My Budget VA TV has arrived. Overall it's a mix bag. The great contrast, semi-glossy screen, and android TV are really nice. Unfortunately there is lot's of smearing and it's not suited very well as a gaming monitor. Using a TV as a gaming monitor isn't great because things like aliasing and LOD changes are more noticeable. Overall I like it but there are definitely problems that would deter most people from using it as a monitor.

TheRedChair

kiwifarms.net
My Budget VA TV has arrived. Overall it's a mix bag. The great contrast, semi-glossy screen, and android TV are really nice. Unfortunately there is lot's of smearing and it's not suited very well as a gaming monitor. Using a TV as a gaming monitor isn't great because things like aliasing and LOD changes are more noticeable. Overall I like it but there are definitely problems that would deter most people from using it as a monitor.
Using a Pixio PX329 32" monitor. Excellent game and TV as I watch my old horror movies while working.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
When I read your previous post I thought you were buying a TV to use as a TV and sit far away from it. As a monitor I can imagine it not being great, even my budget eyeballs have been a bit bothered by the VA monitors I have used.

Look around in the settings, there might be something in there that lets you tune it a bit to reduce smear at the cost of [other thing]. If you can't find anything then look around on the net, there might be a button combination that opens up a settings menu that grandma should not have access to.

New World still burning up cards, timestamped to the bit with a smokey GPU.
He also talks about old Furmark burning up old cards, that was a fun period of time.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net