GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

Catgirl Conversion Therapy
kiwifarms.net
A crazy person on Discord argued that the current GPU prices are a good thing because PC games had become too bloated and graphics focused, and that gaming peaked by 2008. The implication being that by making GPUs this expensive going forward means that gaming will be capped at that level forever.
Supply will catch up with demand and those prices will drop. Advancements will continue, but as the supposed brick wall of the 2030s approaches, we should see fewer reasons to get a high-end GPU:

AMD-RDNA-3-RDNA-4-Radeon-RX-7000-Series-Graphics-Card-Pricing-and-Performance-Rumors-_1.png

You want to see whatever your desired level of performance is achievable in a budget GPU powered by the PCIe slot, or an APU using even less power and compute units. If those are doing around 1080p right now, they will be doing 4K within 3-4 years.

It is a moving target since newer and more complex games need more performance, but in general, 4K resolution will be a done deal. 8K and up doesn't matter outside of VR. That leaves raytracing, which will be scaled up faster than rasterization and contribute to photorealism and simplified lighting for game developers.

Shit games will be shit regardless. At least there are some positive developments, like SSDs as a mandatory spec.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
It is a moving target since newer and more complex games need more performance, but in general, 4K resolution will be a done deal. 8K and up doesn't matter outside of VR.
I doubt that. I heard the same about 1080p and 60fps, but 1440p and 144hz is the current standard as far as monitors go, with 4k being thrown around as the gold standard.

I remember when 256gb drives (and to a lesser extent 1tb drives) were held up as being the limit for consumer grade drives because there was no way a sane person could fill it. Then there's the complaints that consoles have hit diminishing returns that has been rehashed since the PS2, if not the PS1.

As long as the tech exists, people will find a reason to use it.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
Don't know where else to put this, figure people on this thread might find this interesting. I mentioned a random Russian vlogger up thread who I came across looking for a GPU. Been watching some of his other videos and one about chinkshit laptops from Ali Express caught my eye. Link

On the surface its a typical gaming laptop but apparently these things not only have socketed processors, they have full desktop CPUs. I had no idea that was a thing. The last time I saw a socked laptop CPU was my shitty Acer from 2007. This thing is also apparently not trash Chineseum, the components are the same that supply large well known OEMs, they're just assembled by this no name Chinese company.

Video goes into a lot of detail about why a lot of gaming laptops are shit because of weak CPUs, how most tech bloggers are shills with little knowledge (lol) and how this guy tweaked the laptop to get good performance out of it. Interesting stuff, and might be a legitimate option for some people, especially with GPU prices being what they are.
I swear I'm not this Russian guy shilling himself on here.

Fuck Y'all

Ale ameryczka najlepsza, c'nie?
kiwifarms.net
How fucking sad is it when Intel, a company who's been producing graphics processors in one form or another for nearly a quarter-century, and the best they've ever gotten in that period was some versions of Haswell having an iGPU that was sorta decent for the time, are the last great hope for resolving the current GPU market clusterfuck?
>implying that miners won't buy their cards as well

good goy

Supply will catch up with demand and those prices will drop.
not gonna happen, Great Reset is coming

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

Catgirl Conversion Therapy
kiwifarms.net

Signs of a healthy market. Well, it's good to make something cheap on 12nm.

Agent Abe Caprine

Still peacocking your mom.
kiwifarms.net
A crazy person on Discord argued that the current GPU prices are a good thing because PC games had become too bloated and graphics focused, and that gaming peaked by 2008. The implication being that by making GPUs this expensive going forward means that gaming will be capped at that level forever.
Did this person think Quake was a conspiracy, too?

Hereitis

kiwifarms.net
Don't know where else to put this, figure people on this thread might find this interesting. I mentioned a random Russian vlogger up thread who I came across looking for a GPU. Been watching some of his other videos and one about chinkshit laptops from Ali Express caught my eye. Link

On the surface its a typical gaming laptop but apparently these things not only have socketed processors, they have full desktop CPUs. I had no idea that was a thing. The last time I saw a socked laptop CPU was my shitty Acer from 2007. This thing is also apparently not trash Chineseum, the components are the same that supply large well known OEMs, they're just assembled by this no name Chinese company.

Video goes into a lot of detail about why a lot of gaming laptops are shit because of weak CPUs, how most tech bloggers are shills with little knowledge (lol) and how this guy tweaked the laptop to get good performance out of it. Interesting stuff, and might be a legitimate option for some people, especially with GPU prices being what they are.
I swear I'm not this Russian guy shilling himself on here.
By jamming that into a laptop you will never see the full performance of the equipment purely to heat.

As an example you won't see a full spec 3080ti or 18core + cpus

Fuck Y'all

Ale ameryczka najlepsza, c'nie?
kiwifarms.net

Signs of a healthy market. Well, it's good to make something cheap on 12nm.
you're sarcastic, right?

King Daddy Telomerase

Let me tell you the potential of my balls.
kiwifarms.net
I am popping in to ask a stupid question: is the GPU market at all improved over last year?
No, and it's going to get worse going into 2022.

Until the Ethereum stuff finally changes, as in it won't be GPU mined anymore, it's terrible. This won't happen until mid-2022 at the earliest.

I'm patiently waiting to buy my mined GPUs. I'm still rocking a RX 580 from the last time this happened.

Zyklon Ben's Poison Pen

You Get What You Fucking Deserve
kiwifarms.net
Hope you called him an idiot. For as long as it is more profitable to suck on pozzed financing dick as opposed to making customers happy games will remain bloated woke disasters,

TheRedChair

Ultimate Chaos, Ultimate Confort.
kiwifarms.net
Hope you called him an idiot. For as long as it is more profitable to suck on pozzed financing dick as opposed to making customers happy games will remain bloated woke disasters,
I understood what the person on Discord is saying but he sure is hell saying it wrong. GPU prices, as well as everything else going up since 1/1/2020 is nothing more than a cash grab. The prices gone up before the coof, before the production issues. Before Crypto. Then went stupid high crypto surge hit this year.

The first major price hike IMHO was all planned around the Nvidia 3000 series launch of video cards as to a lesser extent the AMD CPU/GPU's Launch. There was no reason for my PSU to double/ almost triple the price. Nor the computer case. Everything higher than 700watt PSU 80+ Gold got a massive price increase.

You can NOT get top performance RAM at a reasonable level. In 2019 you could. In 1/1/2020 you could not.
We are not talking the Speed of the Stick but the CAS Timings of the memory stick in question.

Everyone talks about PC 3600 this and PC 3600 that (and they are doing the spin doctoring on DDR5 and I'm not going to buy that anytime soon. But if your Timings are CL16, my G.skill Flare X CL14 PC3200 is going to be equal to you. And if your timings on your PC 3600 are CL 17 or higher, my memory will perform better.

I can sell my used DD4 PC 2400 that I bought 5 years ago and break even or a small net profit.

I am thinking of purchasing 64GB of PC 3200 so I can do my Virtual machine up nicely without issue. Because to get what I want @3600 and 3733 (+ higher) with the best CL is going to so cost me money and the very small performance increase between the Ram is just not worth the price tag.

It does make a difference on more ram and better CL and to say that ... AND know that DDR5 is going to be costing 40% more and you are only getting 10%+ on games?? Naa I'll wait for a few more years. My rig is running beautifully with the speed and performance of a high end machine, without spending the high end pricing.

To say I can sell my 2 year old rig, part by part AND get 5 to 700 dollars more used. Well there is something seriously wrong with this. If I bought everything new my rig would cast me over double on what I have purchased in

For the record. I got my 1800X running on Windows 7. I also runs very well on Zorin. I strongly believe because of the increase of pricing, older generations of components will still be usable in the foreseeable future.

Now...

The main reasons why I believe the GPU pricing is the alleged production restrictions and/or crypto. Why should Ngreedia increase production when you have dumb assholes that will buy a GPU for the price of a used car as well as so called miners who buy in high volume?

The video gaming industry is well aware of this price problem. If you can not play the game reasonably well with 2 to 3 generations past tech, then the games will not sell. Those are the simple numbers.

I played Overwatch with my 1050ti video card (great card to have if you are worried about heat/watt issues) my 1070, my 5700 and my 5700XT. I have had no issues with any.

I'm not into bleeding edge tech. It's a luxury. Instead of buying the extreme tech. The money I save on buying something that does 80% performance @ 50% of the cost, goes to investing.

Like investing into video gaming companies. OR energy stocks... OR my last home of my choosing. You have to think on what you really need. And overall The kiwi's are pretty smart in here to understand that concept. To invest were you need it.

Again as stated before. There are too many fucktards in Tech and in the Gaming industry. And then you have people on social media saying some interesting things. The dude stating that GPU prices are a good thing is typical of something lacking enough brains cells for conscious thought.

But they sure make good Apologists on certain topics.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I was more polite about it, but yes.

I've been tempted to make a thread about gaming doomsday cults in general, but there's nothing really to discuss. Idiots think that [current trend] will lead to "a second crash", and that gaming peaked at whatever point in time they grew up with.

Speaking of which, apparently the RTX 2060 Super is getting a re-release. I'm seeing two broad camps. "No one wants a two year old card! Make more 3080s instead!" and "If it means more graphics cards, I'm okay with this."

I fall into the latter camp myself. If older tech means they can pump more out, I'm all for it.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
I was more polite about it, but yes.

I've been tempted to make a thread about gaming doomsday cults in general, but there's nothing really to discuss. Idiots think that [current trend] will lead to "a second crash", and that gaming peaked at whatever point in time they grew up with.

Speaking of which, apparently the RTX 2060 Super is getting a re-release. I'm seeing two broad camps. "No one wants a two year old card! Make more 3080s instead!" and "If it means more graphics cards, I'm okay with this."

I fall into the latter camp myself. If older tech means they can pump more out, I'm all for it.
The 2060 had a comeback in spring, it was reported here and there that tons of them showed up out of nowhere, Gamers Nexus and other probably covered it, and when I was looking at the biggest online store around this part of the world it was true. Suddenly there was a GPU to buy and they had lots of them!

(screenshot from may 5th, it's just a small part of their listings)
gpu_luna.JPG
This is what was available, 710's and the sudden shitload of 2060's(primarily from Asus), they even had more 2060's than 710's! And they cost nearly the same as overpriced 3060's (listed at almost twice the MSRP)... Cut the last digit of the price and it's roughly the dollar/euro value.

Manufacturing the 2060 again is a weird decision, I remember that card being a let down. A 2070 can be made on the same process, selling that at a reasonable price(compared to current prices) would make more sense IMO.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Manufacturing the 2060 again is a weird decision, I remember that card being a let down. A 2070 can be made on the same process, selling that at a reasonable price(compared to current prices) would make more sense IMO.
I think I know the logic behind it.
  • Most people are stuck on 1060s (I know I am) and they play most games well enough.
  • The more powerful the card, the more attractive it is to miners.
  • Let's assume the goal is to sell to people who need a GPU to finish their build who don't want to wait until mid 2023.
If the 2060 is cheap to make and better than integrated graphics, then it makes sense to try and flood the market so there's something for people to buy. Miners and scalpers will eat these cards, but it's low enough on their radar without being completely useless.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My current GPU status: been spending all year entering Newegg Shuffles trying to get a 3070 for under $700, completely failing, now I'm keeping an eye out for 3080s for under $1000 and I'm still completely failing. Even dipped my toes into Reddit and Discord channels to try and get some leads, but advice like "lol i got mine at Microcenter, they seem to have a lot from time to time!!!!!" doesn't freakin' help when my nearest one is over a hundred miles away. Plus I think I might now have both AIDS and cancer for having to seriously dig through Reddit and their corresponding Discord channels.

One of those Discord channels was one where they just had a Twitter bot that announced random drops, except they were almost entirely overpriced cards that aren't hard to find anyway.

• Most people are stuck on 1060s (I know I am) and they play most games well enough.
  • Let's assume the goal is to sell to people who need a GPU to finish their build who don't want to wait until mid 2023.
If the 2060 is cheap to make and better than integrated graphics, then it makes sense to try and flood the market so there's something for people to buy. Miners and scalpers will eat these cards, but it's low enough on their radar without being completely useless.

Shoutout to the guy who ran the hardware survey with a midrange GPU from 2003:
1637478368072.png

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
It's still a small bump though, the stock 2060 was usually slightly behind the 1070. Paying big bucks to upgrade from a 1060 to "almost a 1070" should be a hard sell among anyone that looks into the performance.