GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Fuck Y'all

Ale ameryczka najlepsza, c'nie?
kiwifarms.net
Miners and scalpers will eat these cards
and that's why I think it will be big fat bullshit
It's still a small bump though, the stock 2060 was usually slightly behind the 1070. Paying big bucks to upgrade from a 1060 to "almost a 1070" should be a hard sell among anyone that looks into the performance.
dude, I just want dedicated GPU, so I will finally use full 8 gigs of RAM

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
that's why I think it will be big fat bullshit
I get the cynicism, but the end result isn't the end the crisis forever. It to change from being sold out in minutes and is scalped for +300% of MSRP on Ebay, to sold out in days and scalped for +40% MSRP by reputable sellers. Far from ideal, but if you need a card and don't want to wait until 2023, then it's an opinion to consider.

It's still a small bump though, the stock 2060 was usually slightly behind the 1070. Paying big bucks to upgrade from a 1060 to "almost a 1070" should be a hard sell among anyone that looks into the performance.
To clarify what I meant. I don't think people will be upgrading from 1060 to 2060. I mean most games are made for a 1060 in mind because that's what everybody has. I'm sure they would make 1060s again if it was profitable to do so. 1060 is as low as you can go and still justify a GPU.

The upgrade would be for people with older cards like the 750 or for people making new builds who need something more than integrated graphics.

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
I follow a lot of threads on the farms but this might be one of the most justifiably black-pilled of them all, sadly.

I wonder if there will be anything half decent during Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I'm not holding out much hope. Just have to pray my 1060/570 don't crap out any time soon. Not like there's really anything worth upgrading for though honestly.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
I follow a lot of threads on the farms but this might be one of the most justifiably black-pilled of them all, sadly.
I know lots of people with kids that are going into their teens or are teens living at home and growing older. Gaming is now a big part of hanging out with friends among both boys and girls and school have been online as well, so they're tethered even more to the computer than in the past. They tell me that their children want to upgrade, what they can upgrade to. Nothing. There's nothing. A single working class mom with three kids isn't going to pay €1000 for a 3060 or any other kind of individual computer part. I feel for them, they're fucked.

Buy I also realized something the other day. In 2016 the 1030 was a crappy card for gaming but it was made for home theaters so who cares. Five years later the 1030 isn't that bad if you think about it and tweak the settings. It's like how sauteing a cat will be palatable if there's been nothing else to eat for long enough.

TheBest

Sweet dreams, huh?
kiwifarms.net
well i mean of course it is.
I say supposedly because I’ve been seeing mixed numbers, of course I know that it won’t ever be the same for each benchmark, but some are reporting small gains and some reporting massive gains.

On the other hand, I need an upgrade anyway

Dammit Mandrake!

kiwifarms.net
Upgraded the whole system about eight or nine months ago. First full rebuild in about eight years.

Well I should say "almost full" because I still don't want to pay these faggot prices for a GPU. So I haven't. My aging video card is worth more now than when I bought it. Fuck this gay shit.

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
Upgraded the whole system about eight or nine months ago. First full rebuild in about eight years.

Well I should say "almost full" because I still don't want to pay these faggot prices for a GPU. So I haven't. My aging video card is worth more now than when I bought it. Fuck this gay shit.
What's your card?

I know a guy that bought a 2060(?) for an upgrade about two years ago and then got lucky and grabbed a 3060(?) before scalping and supply issues became a nightmare. He's been sitting on the first one for a while for some reason rather than flipping it to some other prick with too much disposable income. I'm half tempted to buy it off him but I don't feel like parting with ~$600 on top of doing a total rebuild.

Dammit Mandrake!

kiwifarms.net
What's your card?

I know a guy that bought a 2060(?) for an upgrade about two years ago and then got lucky and grabbed a 3060(?) before scalping and supply issues became a nightmare. He's been sitting on the first one for a while for some reason rather than flipping it to some other prick with too much disposable income. I'm half tempted to buy it off him but I don't feel like parting with ~$600 on top of doing a total rebuild.
I've got a 1060 and frankly it still works pretty great so I'm not pinched to buy a new one. Most of the heavy lifting that I require anymore is on the CPU, not the GPU.

The 1060 series was very impressive.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is on fire
kiwifarms.net
Is it a good idea to import a GPU from another country where it's (much) cheaper? I have a friend from there who confirmed the shop I looked at was a local legit one, friend can help me import, and the only downsides I'm aware of are import taxes and the lack of warranty.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Is it a good idea to import a GPU from another country where it's (much) cheaper? I have a friend from there who confirmed the shop I looked at was a local legit one, friend can help me import, and the only downsides I'm aware of are import taxes and the lack of warranty.
Depending on the brand you can probably contact the local/nearest branch of the manufacturer for warranty. Isn't EVGA really lenient with that stuff? If he removes the box of the card and mark the package as a gift(Merry Christmas, nephew!) you could avoid taxes, VAT and fees entirely. Don't bank on that though.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is on fire
kiwifarms.net
Depending on the brand you can probably contact the local/nearest branch of the manufacturer for warranty. Isn't EVGA really lenient with that stuff? If he removes the box of the card and mark the package as a gift(Merry Christmas, nephew!) you could avoid taxes, VAT and fees entirely. Don't bank on that though.
I'm aiming for an ASUS card myself so I'm gonna double check that. As for the taxes, the UK is miserly as fuck and we still have to pay VAT for gifts over £39!

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
I'm aiming for an ASUS card myself so I'm gonna double check that. As for the taxes, the UK is miserly as fuck and we still have to pay VAT for gifts over £39!
If you hadn't Brexited you would sit here in sweet, sweet GPU heaven with the rest of us.

Go for it if it makes sense, if you haven't been importing goods before just know that fees from customs for personal packages can seem like arbitrary bullshit. Just repackage it, mark it as gift, mark it as sub-40 in value... You're not going to jail.

HumanHive

Human Behavior is Exceptional Behavior
kiwifarms.net
I've got a 1060 and frankly it still works pretty great so I'm not pinched to buy a new one. Most of the heavy lifting that I require anymore is on the CPU, not the GPU.

The 1060 series was very impressive.
I have a 1060 as well and it works like a dream. Dunno if I recommend getting it now, though. Kinda missed the boat on it if you didn’t get it already.

Wally

Wally
kiwifarms.net
My "gaming" computer has a FX-6300 and RX480. Not upgrading it. Probably ever.

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

Catgirl Conversion Therapy
kiwifarms.net
My "gaming" computer has a FX-6300 and RX480. Not upgrading it. Probably ever.
An AMD APU should have better graphics performance than that within about 3 years (Cezanne -> Rembrandt -> Phoenix -> Strix Point), and maybe over 10x the CPU multi-threaded performance. In a single chip with almost 1/4 the TDP.

TheBest

Sweet dreams, huh?
kiwifarms.net
The 5800x is indeed a massive upgrade. I had forgotten though to upgrade my BIOS and for about an hour I thought I killed my motherboard until I reseated the RAM.