GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

bucolic

kiwifarms.net
These days I don't pay much attention to the GPU or general PC hardware market except when I'm looking to build or upgrade every few years. My last major build was in 2013, which included a GeForce 780Ti that I was rocking until it randomly crapped out on me in June 2020.

I knew there was all sorts of chaos in the GPU market, but after doing a bit of research & keeping my eyes peeled, I nabbed an ASUS 2070 Super off newegg for $600 & moved on with life. I didn't think about it much after that, until I started hearing recent reports of even more GPU insanity. Glancing around now, I see a seller on newegg offering my exact GPU for more than $2800, & it looks like the general going rate would be $1-2k, assuming you could find one anywhere.

It seems the Lord truly smiled on me by smiting my 780Ti in June 2020.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
AMD is allegedly raising 6000-series GPU pricing for board partners by 10% which increases the price by an estimated 20 to 40 bucks. The cause is TSMC raising their prices. AMD doesn't sell actual boards to EVGA, Asus etc so this price should reasonably be the dies themselves. Board partners have long said that margins for graphics cards can be very thin and some speculative/spectacularly dumb math tells us that the price of a high-end 6000 GPU would go from $400 going to $440. On top of that is the GDDR, board itself, cooling and all the other crap. Let's assume that the high-end we're talking about is the 6900 or fancier 6800XT because the 6800, with a $579 MSRP using a $400 GPU die, would be so sad.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
I've been having some weird issues with my AMD machines. Seeing some graphical problems in games that weren't there before so though I'd check the drivers. Trying to open radeon software gives an error "The software version doesn't match the drivers" and I can't open it at all. I thought its AMD being shit but after some digging it seems to be an issue with Windows update overriding AMD drivers? Thanks a lot Microsoft.

I messed around with the windows hardware update settings and reinstalled the radeon software. We'll see if its fixed next time windows tries to update. Not to let AMD off the hook completely, why was the radeon software borked? You would think it would still let you open the panel and flag the drivers being out of date or whatever and let you install the latest ones, but its completely fucked and forces a reinstall of the software.

Also apparently the radeon software thinks Brave is a game lol
>Play total 312 Hours
>Average FPS 39
tfw can't even get a stable 60fps in a web browser (:_(

Dick Justice

If you say "normie" you are that which you condemn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Trying to open radeon software gives an error "The software version doesn't match the drivers" and I can't open it at all. I thought its AMD being shit but after some digging it seems to be an issue with Windows update overriding AMD drivers? Thanks a lot Microsoft.
You will own nothing and you will like it. At least updates didn't fry your GPU this time.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
This is supposedly Intel's basic Alder Lake coolers for non-K models. The one below doesn't look much different from the old i3/i5 coolers. Except the fins on the side are made of plastic now.
intel alder lake 99533.jpg

idk about that 65W* i9 though...
Intel-Alder-Lake-Coolers.jpg

X Prime

The God-Derivative
kiwifarms.net
Nvidia's XX60 series cards have always been excellent. I will never buy the XX70 or XX80 series again. And apparently they make a XX90 series? What an overpriced joke.
What drives me nuts is, the MSRP of reference 3060s are supposed to be like 330.. Even the crappiest possible 3060, which obviously wasn't available, is 100 over. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Car Won't Crank

My cars won't crank
kiwifarms.net
If anyone is in the market for AMD CPUs, Microcenter has some good sales going on. 5800x can be had for $330 if they're in stock at your store.

Dr. Geronimo

How do I look, yellow n'wah?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nvidia's XX60 series cards have always been excellent. I will never buy the XX70 or XX80 series again. And apparently they make a XX90 series? What an overpriced joke.
For years the 70s were the best 'bang for buck' cards when it came to pricing but the 30 series pushed the 70s to where the 80s used to be.

I wanted a 3060 ti for that reason but got the 3070 fe through best buy luck. Either way I'd never pay more than 500 for a new gpu.

Toolbox

Buy dat dawgs
kiwifarms.net

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

Catgirl Conversion Therapy
kiwifarms.net
Nvidia/AMD needs to go back even further and make older cards with lower VRAM that can at least play games passably on 1080p. Like Kepler old.
Nvidia RTX 3050 Ti 8 GB
Nvidia RTX 3050 4/8 GB
AMD RX 6500 XT 4 GB?
AMD RX 6400 4 GB?
Intel Arc 6 GB

I would be surprised not to see an RX 6500 XT variant with 8 GB.

Some of these could end up below $200, but it's better not to be optimistic.

I don't think dipping 2+ architectures back is in Nvidia or AMD's best interests. They don't want to support those older architectures with driver updates for longer than they have to.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Guy's not only mining but double dipping. Talks about resale value of his cards that will be on deaths door by the end of their mining usefulness in a thread. Have to wonder how many cards being put on the market for insane scalp prices aren't even close to being new but rather ultra used.
That happened with Chia, the storage based crypto. They resold worn out SSDs as new.