GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has it really gotten that bad? It's sad that the 2k I paid for my FE 3090 would be a steal now, and I felt kind of retarded at the time for even paying that much.
It is that bad, if not worse. I managed to score a founder's edition 3080 for MSRP via the best buy drops about a month ago, and going from a 2070 super it felt almost uneeded but JFC this market is perhaps the most insane i've ever seen in my life, and getting MSRP cards might as well be an investment. Averages i've seen for a 3080 FE are around 2k, for a fucking 3080FE. Hell the 2070 super I had I saw was going for roughly 100 more than the price of a MSRP FE. I know many of the reasons behind the shortages but actually see the impact on the market in such a viseral way still shocks me.
Oh, yes. It is absolutely that bad. I paid 2.3k for mine because I was just excited for a new pc. Now they range from 3.5k to 4.5k. They're literally impossible to buy. The market is honestly out of control and very little is being done to correct it. The only thing I'd switch out is my processor, but there is literally no reason to do so as a 5600X is really good and I have mine overclocked at 4.75 with a big ass noctua fan and phanteks 500.

This market is so bad I'd reccomend just going for prebuilts on Newegg or Amazon or go to a builder like Meta PC and just build one there. You're not saving any money or at most a hundred or two which takes care of the pain in the ass of labor.

I was going to use my 3090 for light mining to pay it off (I did make a few hundred) but since the market is so fucked, I'm not willing to risk degrading it because it will be literally impossible to replace.
Where did you hear about the Best Buy drops?
There are a lot of discord out there that will ping you for drops. It's how I got my 5600x for retail when they were unavailable. But the problem is bots just snatch everything almost instantly.

TheRedChair

Ultimate Chaos, Ultimate Confort.
kiwifarms.net
Oh, yes. It is absolutely that bad. I paid 2.3k for mine because I was just excited for a new pc. Now they range from 3.5k to 4.5k. They're literally impossible to buy. The market is honestly out of control and very little is being done to correct it. The only thing I'd switch out is my processor, but there is literally no reason to do so as a 5600X is really good and I have mine overclocked at 4.75 with a big ass noctua fan and phanteks 500.
Yea. To build my computer now is in the 3K range. My 2019 rig will cost double. $1800.00

asr

kiwifarms.net
Where did you hear about the Best Buy drops?
Best buy tends to (key word being tend) have drops of cards on thursdays sometimes weekly or biweekly at 8 AM PST. What I did was when I had time, have on a livesteam from youtube in the backround of stock checks. One thing to keep in mind is that multiple tabs don't help, but using your phone helps, because it's a different IP. Save your card info and get the app, you want to be able to go through the buying process as quick as possible. Speaking from personal experience, the app has been for me what works the best, I managed to get the card and a ps5 though the app. Some cards sell out much quicker than the others though, I usually see 3090s sell out the slowest and 3070/3080 the quickest in my neck of the woods. God speed to you and any other fellow kiwi that needs a card.:semperfidelis:
I guess I'll never know then.
you don't need the discord servers, here's the stream I used to get my card watch, good luck friends.

asr

kiwifarms.net

This market is so bad I'd reccomend just going for prebuilts on Newegg or Amazon or go to a builder like Meta PC and just build one there. You're not saving any money or at most a hundred or two which takes care of the pain in the ass of labor.

I was going to use my 3090 for light mining to pay it off (I did make a few hundred) but since the market is so fucked, I'm not willing to risk degrading it because it will be literally impossible to replace.

There are a lot of discord out there that will ping you for drops. It's how I got my 5600x for retail when they were unavailable. But the problem is bots just snatch everything almost instantly.
any tips for overclocking? I have the 5600x as well and use an Artic 280 mm AIO and seem to be hitting about 4.17 ghz at lower temps (50-60 C) so I know there's room to improve, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Fuck Y'all

Ale ameryczka najlepsza, c'nie?
kiwifarms.net
>inb4 Intel will unfuck the market, because they have their own fabs

good goy, cryptofags will buy everything

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
any tips for overclocking? I have the 5600x as well and use an Artic 280 mm AIO and seem to be hitting about 4.17 ghz at lower temps (50-60 C) so I know there's room to improve, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
What you want to do is go fuck manual overclocking, especially on a Ryzen Zen 3 CPU. What you want to do is remove any manual overclock that you've got and enable Precision Boost Overdrive. Set it to Advanced. Set Max CPU Boost Override to 200 mHz. Then go to curve optimizer and set it to negative (we'll be undervolting your CPU). You can then individually determine all 12 cores if you're autistic or are looking for a crazy perfect balance or you can just set all cores to one standard. Go in increments of -5. Just be aware in some BIOS' that it is a bitch to turn on, so make sure you find both instances of specifically 'AMD Overclocking'.

What Precision Boost Overdrive does is basically, it allows the processor to run beyond the defined values to the limits of the board. Which allows for higher voltages, and longer durations. It also 'smart' boosts, so it boosts when tasks get heavy. There's a massive ton of shit to explain how it works out there, but its basically a set of algorithms that determines when and how much to boost. But be warned, if you undervolt too much, your PC will become unstable at low load because of the lowered voltages.

I'm currently at -15 and staying there, since its my stable curve, which gets my processor to 4.85 ghz at full load, which I think is the max you can go without it exploding or using LN2. And my max temps don't really go above 70 degrees C, but my case has a fuckton of air cooling and a big, fuckoff Noctuna CPU cooler.

Just one teensy, tiny problem. I have an AMD processor and an AMD board. So I highly doubt intel will be magnanimous enough to let that shit work after AMD thoroughly whipped their assholes last gen.

Fuck Y'all

Ale ameryczka najlepsza, c'nie?
kiwifarms.net
Just one teensy, tiny problem. I have an AMD processor and an AMD board. So I highly doubt intel will be magnanimous enough to let that shit work after AMD thoroughly whipped their assholes last gen.
so what, do you seriously think that Intel-based systems owners will have a chance to buy their GPUs? They will be sold to cryptofags anyway

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
so what, do you seriously think that Intel-based systems owners will have a chance to buy their GPUs? They will be sold to cryptofags anyway
This is true. God cryptofags are up there with vegans and bicyclists as insufferable cunts.

Crypto is also horrifically bad for the environment, making a lot of e-waste and taking up tons of electricity.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net

Arc GPUs will be manufactured at TSMC while Intel takes on external business to make Z80s for calculators and fuel injectors.
I like that this thread is so far beyond the capability of nvidia vs amd vs intel slapfighting or whatever because everything is so unbelievably fucked price and stock-wise that anyone is happy to get anything that isn't total garbage for at bare minimum MSRP if they're lucky. And I am so happy whenever I read about one of you glorious autists finding them.

Crypto is a cancer that requires only the most stringent and thorough chemo available. Also fuck China for Wu Flu and our cucked politicians for all but shooting supply-chains in the face.
I imagine that this is how people felt like during the blitz.

TheRedChair

kiwifarms.net
As you are aware I am putting together my VM box. The final piece for now is my 1tb NVME WD SN850, just waiting on my heat sink and will start the process of finishing it up. I think I'll name this one "Nightmare Fuel".

This is what it has now:

1. Motherboard - AMD X570 MSI A- PRO Reason for purchase? Cheapest Gen4 X570 mobo for upgradeability at the time. $125.00 Note:

Again DO NOT TAKE THE WORD OF YOU-TUBE TECHS... This means LTT, HardWare Unboxed, Gamers Nexus and many of the rest of the assholes out there are not there for YOUR benefit. They are there to make... money.... just like any good influencer should. HardWare Unboxed rated this MB down due to heat issues. I do not trust any of them after the Nvidia 3000 fiasco.

I can tell you right now that I run this rig 16+ hours a day 7 days a week. I had NO issues. NONE!!! It pisses me off to no end that these people at the age that could be my kids HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE about air flow management as well.

Now I will let you on a little secret that these fuckers don't even bother tell people. A computer is built with components that work together in Harmony. You can not just slap parts together and everything will be fine... you MUST do your research BEFORE buying.

2. Processor - AMD 5900OEM The holy grail of CPU's at this moment at least. Reason for purchase. Runs almost at 5900X speeds @65Watts. This a perfect CPU for the motherboard. The MOSFED's don't overheat and helps keep the rest of the rig cool. Price $430.00

3. Ram - 64 gigs Oloy DDR4 PC4000 Reason. Samsung B die chips. Down clocked to CL 14-14-14-34 @1.45v. Good price @$425 for 64 GB https://www.oloymemory.com/blade/ Note: I like G. Skill memory but they have priced themselves too high for my liking so I went with this brand... so far no issues on my motherboard.

4. Visiontek AMD 5700 reference video card. As comparatively as fast as a Nvidia 3060/ti Reason. 2019 bought it for $280. Undervolted/underclocked video card. Runs 92% performance @ 130Watts max all day long.

5. Icydock 4 carriage SATA SSD with 4 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA card in it. Reason for purchase Samsung 870's are IMHO garbage, do your shopping. Multiple storage solutions with different OS's to mess around Upgradeability to fast storage system Total Cost is $300.00 back in 2019

6. Icydock SATA SSD/HDD carriage. Reason. Large slow storage with a fast SATA SSD. Cost. $145 back in 2019

7. LG BluRay UH12NS40. Reason. I like watching my movies. Cost $45

8. 1TB NVME WD SN850 SSD with separate heat sink. Reason. GEN 4 speeds. Good reviews. Main OS will be in this SSD
Cost $160.

9. PSU Rosewill 850watt 80+ Gold. Reason. Japanese capacitors used on a tier 2 component. Cost $75 back in 2019. Because of the low wattage usage @300 watts maximum from the wall outlet the PSU is under 50% rated load so the PSU runs cool. When I watch videos it's around 130 to 150range in wattage from the wall. playing video and stress testing no higher than 300watts.

10. Case. Corsair 400r/500r. Reason. One of the best cases ever to be made that helps in keeping your computer cooled. I have 4 in back stock. All new. I will NOT go into any newer cases because IMHO most of them are utter SHIT. Bling bling instead of performance. Cost $75

Total price for this rig so far is $2060. If you add the AMD 3600 which costed me $185 at 2019 you will get a total price of $2240 spend...

or 86 dollars a month for 26 months when I first got the parts to build this computer.

And sure you can strip down 4-500 dollars and reduce your storage really easily, then the rig winds up around 17 to 18 hundred dollar range.

The results are that I have such a flexible machine that can do all forms of workloads as well as play games. With hot swappable capabilities, a lot of CPU firepower, 64GB of premium Ram. Able to do games well and watch movies.

This is the reason why you create something that can do almost everything.

For 86 dollars a month....

Note: The reason why I posted this is because you really have to plan and know your stuff when making rigs for a living. But it all comes down to research in what you want to make. IMHO you must try to keep your computer as cool as possible to it can last. I chose my components because I knew I can get the best performance for the price and keep my computer cool.

This posting is an example of spending your money wisely so you can spend more in the future.

In ending I LOVE how everything fell into place. This computer has a lot of power at a small wattage envelope. And this will be good for another 2 to 4 years.

Because I know what the market will bare. And video gaming industries will keep games playable for people who have the basic equipment to play.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
I'll name this one "Nightmare Fuel"
IMHO you must try to keep your computer as cool as possible to it can last.
I keep my computer caseless on the box the motherboard came in on top of the ventilation holes of the windowsill above the radiator. It's an unusually cold scandinavian winter so that radiator is working overtime. The two old mechanical HDDs from my previous system is stacked on top of each but I put an anti-static bag between them just to be safe.

The whole thing gets plenty of sun during the day which is probably good for component growth. I turn it on by closing the power-button circuit with a drillbit or a small coin. Ryzen 2600, a big dual fan Noctua, 58 degrees celsius at 6-8 hours long max load while overclocked. The dusty fans of the notoriously hot Gigabyte rx480 doesn't make any noise until it needs to put in an effort and do 3D or OpenCL shit. While writing this the whole thing is quieter than a ticking wall clock.

It was meant to be temporary because the case situation was stupid for a while so I waited, then I forgot and now I'm no longer thinking about it.

NOMYBITCASH

Day of the rope
kiwifarms.net
1641580910751.png
1641580910751.png
Thoughts on buying mining gpus? seem like a good price

Elysian

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2867990View attachment 2867990
Thoughts on buying mining gpus? seem like a good price
I heard it depends on how ruthlessly efficient the miner in question is. Sometimes if you undervolt a card really well and it runs at the same temperature constantly for an extended period it gets less wear and tear than a normal gaming card that gets hotter and colder constantly as you play different games on it and certain ones push it to the limit more than others. If they don’t bother with that though they’ll probably just run the cards into the ground. Don’t take my word for it though since I don’t faff about with that shit, I’m just repeating what I read elsewhere.

TheRedChair

kiwifarms.net
I heard it depends on how ruthlessly efficient the miner in question is. Sometimes if you undervolt a card really well and it runs at the same temperature constantly for an extended period it gets less wear and tear than a normal gaming card that gets hotter and colder constantly as you play different games on it and certain ones push it to the limit more than others. If they don’t bother with that though they’ll probably just run the cards into the ground. Don’t take my word for it though since I don’t faff about with that shit, I’m just repeating what I read elsewhere.
If you can undervolt your card and are comfortable in doing it then go for it. Most miners though are pushing their rigs 24/7. I'm not really thrilled in purchasing anything from a crypto rig.