GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
I heard it depends on how ruthlessly efficient the miner in question is. Sometimes if you undervolt a card really well and it runs at the same temperature constantly for an extended period it gets less wear and tear than a normal gaming card that gets hotter and colder constantly as you play different games on it and certain ones push it to the limit more than others. If they don’t bother with that though they’ll probably just run the cards into the ground. Don’t take my word for it though since I don’t faff about with that shit, I’m just repeating what I read elsewhere.
If they have been running 24/7 with the fans going strong then that could wear them out, I think there's a lot of sleeve bearing fans in use as opposed to ball bearing but I don't know. Thermal compound might be dried out. Those two things combined could mean that it's noisier than it should and will thermal throttle to some extent, I posted. some images of a test using a 2080 new vs 2080 mining earlier in the thread.
Disassembling a GPU cooling shroud to service it might be a pain in the ass. I don't know what to replace the fans with if it's necessary.

The GPU(chip) itself should be fine(as opposed to new) BUT it is a miner selling his equipment and taking payment privately in a no backsies currency. What are you going to do if it's DOA? Or if you pay him his asking price £580 in ETH and then the price plummets an hour after you paid and before he checks it. He sold it for £580, not a very specific amount of the very real currency ETH and certainly not £447 in ETH at the time of writing!

Local pickup, cash only, is what I would go with. Or just rob him, claim you paid in ETH and if he files a report he will have to disclose his wallet to the police and taxman to prove that you didn't pay. No backsies.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2867990View attachment 2867990
Thoughts on buying mining gpus? seem like a good price
LOL fuck no. That's still over MSRP and close to scalper prices, this faggot is asking for a non-traceable, non-refundable currency where you have no warranty. Only buy these cards if you're going to mine them until they die. There's no telling if there's something wrong with them, or you need to replace pads/fans/thermal paste. Which is a pain in the ass for gpus.

EDIT:
Also those numbers are NOT proof. He could have just done that, taken a screen shot as 'proof'. Anyone offering something in coin not on the Dark Web or is something that is difficult to use normal payment processors for is 100% trying to fucking scam you.

Last edited:

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
My friend has had two memefired ex-mining cards in his tower for years (~2014) and has had no trouble with them. I remember going with him to grab them and the guy selling it was some white trash dude that looked like he was on EI and doing this as a get rich quick scheme. As I was leaving I recall thinking that I hope he turns out to be one of the lucky ones that managed to get out at the right with some life-changing money.

Either way, the cards were fine and I would consider buying one again, personally.

Related: https://wonderfulengineering.com/this-new-graphics-card-by-amd-is-purposefully-bad-at-crypto-mining/

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My friend has had two memefired ex-mining cards in his tower for years (~2014) and has had no trouble with them. I remember going with him to grab them and the guy selling it was some white trash dude that looked like he was on EI and doing this as a get rich quick scheme. As I was leaving I recall thinking that I hope he turns out to be one of the lucky ones that managed to get out at the right with some life-changing money.

Either way, the cards were fine and I would consider buying one again, personally.

Related: https://wonderfulengineering.com/this-new-graphics-card-by-amd-is-purposefully-bad-at-crypto-mining/
The major problem with that posting is that those cards aren't even fucking MSRP, they're borderline scalper prices that have been run 24/7. You're not even getting a discount. Fuck that guy and fuck those prices.

TheRedChair

Ultimate Chaos, Ultimate Confort.
kiwifarms.net
If they have been running 24/7 with the fans going strong then that could wear them out, I think there's a lot of sleeve bearing fans in use as opposed to ball bearing but I don't know. Thermal compound might be dried out. Those two things combined could mean that it's noisier than it should and will thermal throttle to some extent, I posted. some images of a test using a 2080 new vs 2080 mining earlier in the thread.
Disassembling a GPU cooling shroud to service it might be a pain in the ass. I don't know what to replace the fans with if it's necessary.

The GPU(chip) itself should be fine(as opposed to new) BUT it is a miner selling his equipment and taking payment privately in a no backsies currency. What are you going to do if it's DOA? Or if you pay him his asking price £580 in ETH and then the price plummets an hour after you paid and before he checks it. He sold it for £580, not a very specific amount of the very real currency ETH and certainly not £447 in ETH at the time of writing!

Local pickup, cash only, is what I would go with. Or just rob him, claim you paid in ETH and if he files a report he will have to disclose his wallet to the police and taxman to prove that you didn't pay. No backsies.
You are 100% on the majority of the fans on video cards on the use of Sleeve bearings. Every video card I had to replace the fans were indeed sleeve bearing.

However its the thermo pads and thermo paste that will go bad if ran hard about 2 years or so. Also the quality of the PCB boards on the current video cards I also question.

Nothing is built on quality anymore IMHO as corporations skim as much as they can just to keep it functional at normal usages. That is why I am suspect on buying a used crypto card.

Perfect example are in my case are the AMD 5700 series of cards I purchased. At the expense of heat and wattage you can get those performances quoted by AMD. However undervolting your card to around
90+/-% performance levels will get you results.

In my case is was 130 watts maximum usage (or 72% of watt usage) to achieve 92% of marked performance @ maximum temperatures between 60 and 74c Max (depends on the season right now its in the low 60c range) instead of 72 to 89c. And to me that is just too high temps on your GPU regardless of what AMD says. You are cooking your GPU to death.

Nvidia is also guilty of this as well as I've heard reports on this too.

So if you are buying a Crypto card you will run into the possibility of a weakened GPU due to over heating that will fail you down the road.

Those are the problems I see with crypto cards.

Dick Justice

If you say "normie" you are that which you condemn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been thinking and this is easy to say because I HAVE a GPU, but it seems like long term this supply squeeze is a good thing because it's forcing a lot of companies to partially or entirely divest themselves of supply dependencies in Occupied West Taiwan. And something something consumer waste, CONSOOM PRODUCT, redpills whatever.

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

Catgirl Conversion Therapy
kiwifarms.net
However, a more significant announcement from the AMD side is that they're only releasing one Zen 3D - and it's an 8-core model that's actually clocked somewhat lower than the current 5800X. I'm guessing the V-Cache didn't provide quite the performance uplift that AMD were hoping for (or it did, but the hit to clockspeeds was too much), so they decided that rather than fucking around with some stopgap release like Quad FX or those stupidly-high-clocked versions of Bulldozer, they decided to put out just the one SKU so they could claim they technically delivered on their promise, and refocus on Zen 4.
There's clearly a benefit to that tripled cache in non-gaming, just look at Milan-X. And that's one of the reasons there is only a 5800X3D and no 5900/5950 versions. They want to send as many of those 3D caches to Epyc customers as possible.

We'll have to wait for reviews to see what difference it makes for gaming with the lower out-of-the-box clock speed, but it's not like the gap between Zen 3 and Alder Lake is large.

NOMYBITCASH

Day of the rope
kiwifarms.net
LOL fuck no. That's still over MSRP and close to scalper prices, this faggot is asking for a non-traceable, non-refundable currency where you have no warranty. Only buy these cards if you're going to mine them until they die. There's no telling if there's something wrong with them, or you need to replace pads/fans/thermal paste. Which is a pain in the ass for gpus.

EDIT:
Also those numbers are NOT proof. He could have just done that, taken a screen shot as 'proof'. Anyone offering something in coin not on the Dark Web or is something that is difficult to use normal payment processors for is 100% trying to fucking scam you.
Sure but also those prices are very close to retail in the uk

Scalper prices for a 3070 are 800-850, some peaking at 900 or even 1000 i've seen sold.

WULULULULU

I CLOAMK, I TWEEK, I KEEL
kiwifarms.net
Okay, Im a mega retard when it comes to computer specs (I'm just learning) and I want to build my own PC. Visiting this thread however, I learned of three things:
  • First, scalpers everywhere, so prices of graphic cards (and even processors) are jacked up for regular purchase especially if you come from a shitty third-world country, mine starts with B for Bitch.
  • Second, as with most new product to consoom, tech like new keyboards and mouse that are functional and not plastic like it came from Chinkland are hard to come by so amazon will have to do, of course Amazon is a money sink.
  • Third, because of the aforementioned two, some users here @Secret Asshole suggested you are better off buying a full PC set like in MetaPC since buying the separate parts is too expensive and hard to replace if one fucks up.
Right now, I am living on a budget, an Acer Aspire A515-54 with a Logitech M221 mouse. I just want a PC setup with flexibility (more RAM) while having mid-high end usage that can last for years. If I can a premade one from MetaPC, the latter is likely never going to be the case. If I build one, the budget will have to be limited to like 100K USD which will not fulfill the PC I want. Which is why I am posting here to ask help from smarter kiwis on the sight (no I am not using reddit or discord for this shit).

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Okay, Im a mega retard when it comes to computer specs (I'm just learning) and I want to build my own PC. Visiting this thread however, I learned of three things:
  • First, scalpers everywhere, so prices of graphic cards (and even processors) are jacked up for regular purchase especially if you come from a shitty third-world country, mine starts with B for Bitch.
  • Second, as with most new product to consoom, tech like new keyboards and mouse that are functional and not plastic like it came from Chinkland are hard to come by so amazon will have to do, of course Amazon is a money sink.
  • Third, because of the aforementioned two, some users here @Secret Asshole suggested you are better off buying a full PC set like in MetaPC since buying the separate parts is too expensive and hard to replace if one fucks up.
Right now, I am living on a budget, an Acer Aspire A515-54 with a Logitech M221 mouse. I just want a PC setup with flexibility (more RAM) while having mid-high end usage that can last for years. If I can a premade one from MetaPC, the latter is likely never going to be the case. If I build one, the budget will have to be limited to like 100K USD which will not fulfill the PC I want. Which is why I am posting here to ask help from smarter kiwis on the sight (no I am not using reddit or discord for this shit).
With 100K US dollars you will get a fine system.

Pre-built seems like a decent option now because all the parts will arrive at once, you won't have to hunt for everything you need and sit on 3/5ths of a pc until the rest of the parts are available. CPUs seems to have stabilized in both price and availability at least.

If you're buying pre-built you could go with a cheaper system if you take a look at what motherboard it is using so you can upgrade it piece by piece as time goes on. Different CPU, more RAM, different GPU etc. This is the point where Dell and HP gets disqualified. They use their own custom motherboards that are not really meant to support much more than the hardware in the computer you bought. They might limit what CPUs you can upgrade to and limit how much RAM is supported via BIOS, the motherboard layout or internal case configuration might make it hard or impossible to install a larger/longer/fatter GPU, the power supply might not have the power connectors needed for a more powerful card, maybe they only ship with a 4 pin and later you need a 6 pin, tough luck. Time to replace the PSU which should work just fine but who knows. Replacing their cooler with a better one might run into similar problems and so on.

It is way better to buy a cheaper pre-built that lists what components they use, especially the motherboard because that's what you will be building around. If it's a board from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc that can be bought boxed by itself then that pretty much ensures that it is made to be compatible with everything meant to be put in a PC so you can upgrade everything over time.
I would recommend anything with a Ryzen for that reason, AMD have been using the same socket for the CPU since 2017 and supporting older chipsets so the motherboard will last a long time... but AM5 is on the horizon, that's a new socket. Ryzen 5000 might be the last AM4 cpu but that's still plenty of power for games. There's nothing stopping you from starting with a Ryzen 3 5X00 and buying a Ryzen 5 when they drop in price, it will still be significantly faster than what you have now. AMDs G-series with integrated graphics would also blow your current CPU and GPU out of the water, unfortunately it seems like HP have monopoly on those and they are more dickish with their system construction than usual.

CHARizard

I came here to laugh at you.
kiwifarms.net
I ended up buying a prebuilt and feel a bit dirty. My old desktops mobo died and it was time to just build something new, but with prices being so weird I decided on a prebuilt. Going to keep the ram, drives, and graphics card from my old PC but scrap the rest. The PSU was some cheapo that probably should have been swapped 5 years ago, same as the shitty mobo. It did me really well since I built it though, the 1070 was an upgrade and that card still can play a ton of games smoothly.

OLD PC
i7-4770 (Coolermaster air cooler)
16gb RAM
GTX 1070 FE
A mishmash of SSD's and spinner storage

Prebuilt
Ryzen 5 5600x (AIO watercooled)
16GB RAM
RTX 3060TI
1TB NVME storage

The only hesitation I have is the Ryzen 5. My use case is work from home, using all browser based software, and gaming. I play stuff at 1440p and have a multi monitor set up. My 4770 lasted me since I built the PC in 2013, and I am ignorant on how long lasting AMD chips are. Still overall I am excited to get it, I havnt been able to play PC games in a few months and I really want to play more Warframe.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Reviews for the RX 6500 is out. It's decent for a 119 dollar card. But the MSRP is $199 and it will go up. There's only two display outputs and performance plummets if it's not running on a mobo that supports PCIe 4.0
Or you can give it the positive spin: performance goes up 50% on the latest chipsets from Intel and AMD!

It might not be a particularly good GPU but it is still interesting imo. It actually puts up good results(PCIe4 only) for something so hobbled: 64bit memory, only four PCIe lanes, using a chip meant for laptops. Nothing it is being benchmarked against is so thoroughly fucked by design and it is kind of impressive how well it actually performs.

edit: found it in stock in a shop. €379. Only four left.

Last edited:

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Microcenter has Powercolor 6500XTs for $200. People getting their panties in a bunch over this card are missing the point. I think it's just general saltiness that this seems to be the 1st new video card that acknowledges the market for what it is and might signal that the market we used to know is never coming back.

I wouldn't be surprised. People have shown how far they'll bend over for anything on the shelves.

Blue Miaplacidus

All paths lead to K162
kiwifarms.net
You can get a pretty decent prebuilt entry level gaming PC for a "good" price. Companies like cyberpower have actually really good prebuilts for the price and are easily upgraded by getting a better/larger SSD when you have the funds, and more RAM. Maybe a motherboard depending on what OEM shit they throw in there. From what I'm looking at with MetaPC they don't have nearly as good as deals as cyberpower. Actually they look rather shitty in comparison.

As for cheap peripherals there's a billion options, I actually have some cheap chinese shit that I still use, specifically a couple Red Dragon K552 mechanical keyboards and 2 pairs of H510 headsets which in the 3 years that I've owned and used them have given me zero issues.

WULULULULU

I CLOAMK, I TWEEK, I KEEL
kiwifarms.net
Also, like my post above, it is not 100K usd, it was 10K usd, just wanted to correct myself. Still a mega retard.

That said, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will build the PC, though Cyberpower is tempting. I will probably get a Ryzen 7 5800X and 3070ti. Still deciding about cooling (is watercooling a meme?) and the motherboard (Either Gigabyte or ASUS, depending on what is available at the moment).

Joe Swanson

Hey Peter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, like my post above, it is not 100K usd, it was 10K usd, just wanted to correct myself. Still a mega retard.

That said, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will build the PC, though Cyberpower is tempting. I will probably get a Ryzen 7 5800X and 3070ti. Still deciding about cooling (is watercooling a meme?) and the motherboard (Either Gigabyte or ASUS, depending on what is available at the moment).
Water cooling isn't a meme if it's done right, but it's best not to get it if you're not confident you'll gonna be able to do maintenance in 10 years

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Second, as with most new product to consoom, tech like new keyboards and mouse that are functional and not plastic like it came from Chinkland are hard to come by so amazon will have to do, of course Amazon is a money sink.
take the mechanical keyboard pill, if it's hot-pluggable you can literally tear out the switch and replace it directly without having to worry about membranes etc which will go bad at some point and take the rest of the keys with it.
mouse is debatable, I usually go with logitech because they have good support, but the mx518 clone they did a while back started doubleclicking after just 2 months (they probably used cheaper switches because "non-gamer", and while I know how to fix it tbh can't be arsed to do that for a mouse I haven't used for more than 3 months), gotta nag support to either send me a proper gaymer mouse or at least a voucher to make it cheap enough, gonna wait and see what happens.

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
To be clear: are you saying you've got ten grand in US currency to buy yourself a computer with? Nigger, you could buy yourself anything you want with that money (provided you can get your hands on the parts but lol you can even go scalper if you wanted).

Is this some sort of humble brag???

From my perspective it seems like pre-builts are the way to go these days considering supply issues and scalping. At a glance usually the GPU included in the build on its own would somehow cost close to 1/2-2/3 of the price of the pre-built anyway, at least where I am.

Last edited: