GPUs & CPUs & Enthusiast hardware: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

CreamyHerman’s

Smug-ass piece of Granite
kiwifarms.net
Suck my dick AMD. Their drivers as of late have been nothing but trouble.
View attachment 3288767
The link(not clickable) goes to a page about APUs and vendor specific driver packages for laptops.

Should probably roll back to the 2020 one if this one shits itself again.
That sounds like a locked apu issue, not a Radeon issue. I have a spectre x360 that can run default drivers on it

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
A few weeks ago I bought a 14" portable screen
After a few weeks of usage I can (without joke) proclaim that I really like this setup. I bought a nice tablet stand (no VESA mount holes, knowing the average VESA stand it'd be comically big for a screen this size anyways) and headaches, neck pains and general exhaustion when spending long stretches at the computer aren't a thing for me anymore. Yes, I basically discovered working on a 14" inch notebook, just as a desktop, but still. There's something about running things just full screen with a WM like ratpoison. I noticed that on the notebook already, it really declutters the mind. YMMV, it's obviously not for everyone. I still would prefer larger screens for multimedia, I think. (depends on what)

I'll probably bite on the Node 202 case and put the screen on top. I even might get desk speakers. I'm not entirely sure what size power supply would be reasonable to get, as I might or might not want to get a mid-range graphics card later on and I have no idea what such a graphics card purchased in the last 5-6 years even consumes, completely out of the loop. The last time I bought a power supply is so many years ago that I wasn't even aware of the Platinum and Titanium tiers, even though spec-wise they sound like marketing wank. On one hand, it is true that the idle state of most modern x86 Computers is really an inefficient scenario for the modern power supply, on the other the losses are so minimal because of that low idle value that it barely matters, even if you live somewhere where electricity is really expensive. (If you really wanna save power, buy a notebook - they were built to shave every non-necessary watt)

Elysian

kiwifarms.net
After a few weeks of usage I can (without joke) proclaim that I really like this setup. I bought a nice tablet stand (no VESA mount holes, knowing the average VESA stand it'd be comically big for a screen this size anyways) and headaches, neck pains and general exhaustion when spending long stretches at the computer aren't a thing for me anymore. Yes, I basically discovered working on a 14" inch notebook, just as a desktop, but still. There's something about running things just full screen with a WM like ratpoison. I noticed that on the notebook already, it really declutters the mind. YMMV, it's obviously not for everyone. I still would prefer larger screens for multimedia, I think. (depends on what)

I'll probably bite on the Node 202 case and put the screen on top. I even might get desk speakers. I'm not entirely sure what size power supply would be reasonable to get, as I might or might not want to get a mid-range graphics card later on and I have no idea what such a graphics card purchased in the last 5-6 years even consumes, completely out of the loop. The last time I bought a power supply is so many years ago that I wasn't even aware of the Platinum and Titanium tiers, even though spec-wise they sound like marketing wank. On one hand, it is true that the idle state of most modern x86 Computers is really an inefficient scenario for the modern power supply, on the other the losses are so minimal because of that low idle value that it barely matters, even if you live somewhere where electricity is really expensive. (If you really wanna save power, buy a notebook - they were built to shave every non-necessary watt)
If it helps I have an RX 6600 which is pretty mid range and I have a 600w PSU. You can use PC Part Picker’s system builder tool to calculate what power supply you’ll need by adding all your computer parts to it plus a GPU and it’ll tell you how many watts it’ll take up.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

bigoogabaloogas

just your average filthy weeb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
motherfucker.jpg
found this on craigslist for 10,500.
12 x 30 fucking 80s

lemme see if I can get a single one for cheap

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 3293308
found this on craigslist for 10,500.
12 x 30 fucking 80s

lemme see if I can get a single one for cheap
Is crypto going down the toilet and are we about to get a glut of used mining cards on the second hand market?

I'm pretty happy with the 3050 I got a little while ago but if I start seeing some decent used cards out there I might nab one.

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
Is crypto going down the toilet and are we about to get a glut of used mining cards on the second hand market?

I'm pretty happy with the 3050 I got a little while ago but if I start seeing some decent used cards out there I might nab one.
Unsure if related to crypto or just availability and pricing stablising but I've noticed an uptick in definitely-not-scalpers trying to offload a strange amount of cards for one person to own at prices above current MSRP. I personally would just love to see them all get buttfucked into oblivion for it but I'll settle for inflation and intolerance in the market to handle that I suppose.

I'd love a serious honest to god crypto crash for a few reasons but one of which is I'd have zero problem grabbing a former mining card.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
I'd love a serious honest to god crypto crash for a few reasons but one of which is I'd have zero problem grabbing a former mining card.
Also - aren't intel launching a line of GPUs this year? Hilarious if they completely missed the COVID/crypto surge and launch a new product line into a cratering market. Couldn't happen to a nicer company, I hope they get fucked.

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
Also - aren't intel launching a line of GPUs this year? Hilarious if they completely missed the COVID/crypto surge and launch a new product line into a cratering market. Couldn't happen to a nicer company, I hope they get fucked.
On one hand, yes, burn motherfuckers, burn.

On the other hand... it'd be nice to have more than basically a two-party system in the GPU market. Competition is good and more options for consumers is rarely a bad a thing. I personally just have an axe to grind with nVidia but more than willing to admit it's personal bias against most of my friends that don't even look at AMD because of a mix of misplaced brand loyalty and laziness.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
most of my friends that don't even look at AMD because of a mix of misplaced brand loyalty and laziness.
To be fair, for the longest time (and as recently as when I bought my 1060 3gb) your only option was NVidia or your games dont work right due to shitty drivers.

I'm interested in ARC simply for that AV1 encoding. Don't know if I'd use it enough to justify choosing it over other options, but I want that one feature.

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, for the longest time (and as recently as when I bought my 1060 3gb) your only option was NVidia or your games dont work right due to shitty drivers.
Lol, yet when Nvidia can have things such as 2080tis fucking up left and right with memory issues on a $1500+ gpu people still run back to them like battered housewives.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
On one hand, yes, burn motherfuckers, burn.

On the other hand... it'd be nice to have more than basically a two-party system in the GPU market. Competition is good and more options for consumers is rarely a bad a thing. I personally just have an axe to grind with nVidia but more than willing to admit it's personal bias against most of my friends that don't even look at AMD because of a mix of misplaced brand loyalty and laziness.
Let's see what Intel is doing, but they poached the RDNA AMD lead architect around the time of Vega. I won't underestimate Intel to shoot themselves in the foot though, drivers will also be an issue but they have iirc massively expanded the amount of people in that department. As shitty as Intel iGPU drivers have been over the years their strong point have been that even if they're not rendering things right(not uncommon) they're not crashing to desktop.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Eh, a few years ago I would have loved for somebody to cover the mid- to low-end GPU market for appropriate prices. There's basically nobody doing a GPU that's just good enough without either being some xxxtreme gamer thing that eats 500W (30W when idling, doing nothing) or so expensive for what it was that it made no sense buying it compared to the more powerful options. Of course with iGPUs being what they are these days, the real question is if that segment isn't filled already by them.

I went for broke and switched the 14" for a 16:10 2560x1600 13.3" screen. Because of the different aspect ratio, it's almost as big as the 14" one. With almost 230 ppi it's amazing to read on and the jump in sharpness and resolution is quite noticeable. I also put up a significantly bigger 27" 1080p screen farther away for multimedia. It's a really nice combo. Interestingly, the 13.3" feels bigger, partly because of the much higher resolution but also because of it's format, it's subtle but feels different. Who ever thought 16:9 is a good format for computer screens?

If you like retro gaming an interesting thing about this 1600p screen is not only that 320x200 and 640x400 can fill the screen completely (and with some old games that even looks right because the graphic designers sometimes kinda ignored that there were only 4:3 screens at the time) but also because of the very high pixel density, you can just leave it to the internal scaling of the screen to scale resolutions up to and including 800x600 up to full 4:3 aspect and it's still so sharp that it can still display a screen-filling 1 pixel on/1 pixel off checkerboard pattern ("worst case scenario" for scaling) without noticeable distortions and with pixels still having good contrast. At very high pixel densities, the downsides of non-integer scaling matter less and less, because there's more room for interpolation without noticeable visible cost.

I also ended up buying a used Platinum rated Corsair 450W power supply for my incoming Node 202 build. I like buying stuff like this used because usually it's perfectly fine and it's one of these items people are worried about buying used, so you can get a very good price. 450W is on the lower end but I could barely justify this vanity project to myself so I wasn't willing to pay the considerable price jump that started at 500W onwards. From what I researched it should cover the graphics cards I laid eyes on nicely, let's see if it comes back to bite me in the arse.

Last edited:

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eh, a few years ago I would have loved for somebody to cover the mid- to low-end GPU market for appropriate prices. There's basically nobody doing a GPU that's just good enough without either being some xxxtreme gamer thing that eats 500W (30W when idling, doing nothing) or so expensive for what it was that it made no sense buying it compared to the more powerful options. Of course with iGPUs being what they are these days, the real question is if that segment isn't filled already by them.
I think it'll be interesting to see what the Chinese come up with. There's a startup called 'Moore Thread' that says it's going to make both desktop and server class cards, and has supposedly demoed the former (with LoL, of course), though whether that eventuates I guess we'll see. They should be able to get some business from the Chinese government for sensitive fields- there media releases have talked about having worked for Loongson compatibility in their drivers as well as x86 and ARM. ZOG cut off the VIA and AMD joint ventures in China from future tech transfer in 2019, so to the extent computers are being built for the Chinese market with evolutions of those designs, I'd imagine that the IGPU components are probably not where the indigenous designers are putting their effort, so you'd think you'd have a market for some decent low-midrange cards to pair with those.

DNA_JACKED

Pronouns are Ni/Gg/Er: proud transracialwomankin
kiwifarms.net
Let's see what Intel is doing, but they poached the RDNA AMD lead architect around the time of Vega. I won't underestimate Intel to shoot themselves in the foot though, drivers will also be an issue but they have iirc massively expanded the amount of people in that department. As shitty as Intel iGPU drivers have been over the years their strong point have been that even if they're not rendering things right(not uncommon) they're not crashing to desktop.
Raja has certainly lived up to the " always massive delays" label. Keep in mind that was the same guy who grew lot Vega and came up with the "poor Maxwell" advertisement that blew up in their face. Also same guy that promotes rx 480 crossfire as a solution to the 1080 when multi GPU was already circling the drain.

It's no coincidence that Radeon has done a complete 180 since he left.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
I think it'll be interesting to see what the Chinese come up with. There's a startup called 'Moore Thread' that says it's going to make both desktop and server class cards, and has supposedly demoed the former (with LoL, of course), though whether that eventuates I guess we'll see. They should be able to get some business from the Chinese government for sensitive fields- there media releases have talked about having worked for Loongson compatibility in their drivers as well as x86 and ARM. ZOG cut off the VIA and AMD joint ventures in China from future tech transfer in 2019, so to the extent computers are being built for the Chinese market with evolutions of those designs, I'd imagine that the IGPU components are probably not where the indigenous designers are putting their effort, so you'd think you'd have a market for some decent low-midrange cards to pair with those.
They licensed a PowerVR architecture and is building around that right?

My concerns would be:
A GPU from new GPU manufacturer: what about the drivers?
A GPU from the Chinese: I don't trust the drivers.
A new PowerVR GPU on PC: how bout them drivers?

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
It's funny how this always shows up in all these mystery chipsets. My only and terrible experience with PowerVR was the hot minute intel used it in one of their iGPUs.

I wouldn't make myself dependent on chinese quality drivers either, even if the chipset is decent. That's not even considering political and phone home crap. What I have also learned from the chinese is that they're perfectly capable of producing good things but have a specific mindset where they'll sink their own company long term to short-term scam $5 more out of you. It's like the story with the scorpion and the turtle. It's like they just can't help it. It always amazes me. So there's always a problem with trusting a chinese product long-term. I only trust chinese products if there's some round-eye on higher levels who constantly checks if the product is still on the level. Then the chinese can do amazing stuff, but only then.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
It's funny how this always shows up in all these mystery chipsets. My only and terrible experience with PowerVR was the hot minute intel used it in one of their iGPUs.
Hey, the Dreamcast and iPhone was pretty good! They were the perfect use for a closed system like those, on the PC their oddball graphics processor could be fantastic except... Drivers, the hardware was just different than typical rasterizers so it had problems... It's almost like something that would be put in an Amiga.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They licensed a PowerVR architecture and is building around that right?

My concerns would be:
A GPU from new GPU manufacturer: what about the drivers?
A GPU from the Chinese: I don't trust the drivers.
A new PowerVR GPU on PC: how bout them drivers?
That appears to be a different Chinese company (which mostly sells ASIC miners). Not sure if it's made it to market