GPUs & CPUs: Questions, Discussion and fanboy slap-fights - Nvidia & AMD & Intel - Separe but Equal. Intel rides in the back of the bus.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
So I had to return my 3090, because the ebay seller wouldn't vacillated on if the warranty was good or not and I'll be fucking goddamned if I'm risking no warranty on that card. So I'm back to hunting. Bad news is I'm going to get fucked by tariffs. Worse news, Ebay is taking forever with giving me my money back so I can replace it which means talking to my credit card company tomorrow to punch them in the cock. Good news, everyone else is getting fucked by tariffs. Also good news, bitcoin is crashing. And with NVIDIA's event tomorrow everyone is going to want whatever new cards they're offering that you'll never be able to buy. So it is likely my build will be finished soon.
Power supplies are getting thin on the ground right now. I thought that I might need to ascend from 700W to 800W because of the higher power use of the 3080 FTW Ultra, and as stated above had to resort to greedbaying the last 800W SFX brick in the whole of the UK. Yeah, you can get a bronze 500W lump fairly easily but with a 3090 you'll really be wanting 850W or more. Good luck with that. All the workstation grade (1000W+ platinum / titanium) bricks are on order with an ETA of as late as April here.

General words of advice - never buy a cheap power supply. You can treat a good part like shit and get away with it, that's why it's a good part. But if you get a bargain basement Chinese knockoff grey box power supply you will either have a non-functional system at best or a fire at worst. Also, higher quality power supplies generally allow you to run closer to the line than lower quality ones without tripping due to better efficiency.
Holy shit, you weren't kidding. What the ever living fuck.
Weight isn't a good measurement but if your x00 watt power supply weighs as much as a box of tissues then it's not right.

My own rule of thumb for truly cheap shit is google the thing, if you only get Chinese forum posts under no circumstances should you buy it, that is how you end up with tissue box PSUs and VIA chips. If all the results and reviews are in Russian it might actually be decent for the bargain bin price it retails at. If every result is from Brazil then I just don't know.
I bought a pretty decent IPS screen from AOC's Pro-Line for €110, new, this way. It was only meant to stand upright to show documents, charge my phone and not be TN trash and it does a fine job of that. Only reviews of it were in russian or on russian youtube channels where bearded men turned off the lights and peered at monitors in their dark living rooms. They weren't as thorough as GamersNexus but if it passes the eye test...

Didn't Nvidia release GPUs for the Chinese market that had the same model numbers as the western ones, but they were gimped? Like the box said GTX 1060 but it was more of a GTX ~1054:ish. The market wasn't what it is today but the GeForce 4 MX was spiritually a Chinese product.
I will NEVER buy a chink power supply.
Wait til you start looking for a PSU.
Its insane. It used to be a cheap component, I could get like a gold 1k Watt for like $150, now they're at least double that.

In the end, I chose an EVGA SuperNova, 850W Gold. Normally this would have been like $110-120 but it was $160. Jesus christ.

Kane Lives

Peace through power
Okay I'm probably slow on the uptake here, but why is PSUs suddenly running out of stock?

Just mostly for my reference because I'm planning to build a new PC this year, probably midrange or someshit so that I can finally play some of my shinies at 60 FPS at 1080p.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
jesus
cryptpenis.JPG

They're on their way out and pricing always gets funky when that happens, but earlier today I checked a large local buy/sell/trade forum and people posted adds wanting to buy 4 5700XTs or any 480/580's you could spare. During the previous mining craze even AMDs entry level HTPC cards jumped A LOT in price.

Max Doof

Trapped in a box.
This makes me feel appreciative on how I was able to get the build I got with lucky finds on ebay but man fuck this whole mess with scalping and bit mining. Like my mate was close to buying a gpu on amazon almost 300 dollars over msrp before we stopped him. And to me that's where the real grimeyness happens, average joes who just want to build their first pc overpaying for shit in stores because they think that's how much it should be or on ebay thinking they found a great deal.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
The power supply shortage is probably due to the PC gamer's arch nemesis. Crypto miners.
I still hope they crash or are regulated into oblivion so these fags can fuck off.
Okay I'm probably slow on the uptake here, but why is PSUs suddenly running out of stock?

Just mostly for my reference because I'm planning to build a new PC this year, probably midrange or someshit so that I can finally play some of my shinies at 60 FPS at 1080p.
Sadly it might be the worst time to buy a low-end, midrange PC. You might actually be better off with pre-builts at this point.

PSUs are running out of stock, especially the higher wattage ones, because mining faggots buy like 40 cards and need tons of power. Miners also ruin the market because then these cards flood the second hand market where they've been nearly burned out. So it is miners driving PCU prices up. Then you have memory shortages driving memory up with cards.

I AM noticing more stable stock of 3090s, as in not selling in 45 (more like 30 minutes but still) seconds so that encourages me, but the 3080 is still basically extinct in the wild.

Last edited:
Tried to find a low profile 1650 to shove in my prebuilt with its obnoxiously weedy TFX 260w power supply with weird proprietary cables and the only one I could find at the time was a used one on eBay going for £291 when the MSRP of the card is like 150 quid. They’re just not in stock anywhere at all.

Tried to find a low profile 1650 to shove in my prebuilt with its obnoxiously weedy TFX 260w power supply with weird proprietary cables and the only one I could find at the time was a used one on eBay going for £291 when the MSRP of the card is like 150 quid. They’re just not in stock anywhere at all.
I feel your pain. I want a budget/older card to stick in a pre built lenovo tower to give it a bit more gaming capability but prices in the UK are insane.

There is currently a 4gb RX 580 listed on amazon for GBP 439. Madness.

I'm doomed to relying on my 5 year old gaming laptop.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan

The 800W SFX brick I greedbayed arrived today and I've plumbed it in. My 700W SFX brick may be saleable. It's a Silverstone SX700-PT so it will need an adapter plate to fit in an ATX case and its cables are a bit short but it'll manage in a SFF case no problem. Indeed, RTX 2060, Ryzen 3600, 16 GB, nice lil' mATX A520 board, M.2 SSD would be enough for 1080p.

Also, you think normal ATX power supplies are in short supply? SFX ones are even shorter. Doesn't help that there's not that many of them in the first place - above 500W your choices are either a Corsair or a Silverstone.

When my 3080 arrives (thanks to the queue change mentioned above I am now at position 1 in the queue), I'll put my 1080 Ti back in my old box and I may be able to flog that to someone but since I recycled the SSD from it the buyer will have to supply their own drive.

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

🖩🍸🔫 :) :) :) 😷
I'd almost pay extra for something without RGB or obnoxious side windows. I was just gifted a used 1070 that's in good condition that thankfully doesn't have any of that gay gamer shit on it.

I figure you can disable most RGB stuff, or set it to red and ignore it forever. The tempered glass side panels are what I don't want and all the case deals I see seem to have them.

I am NOT impressed with both AMD and Intel's latest CPU's due to the increase cost of these components.
And really you might want to look into buying a console for your gaming needs.

If it's hard to get Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, AMD was probably right to hike the lineup by $50. Zen 2 is the budget option, will work fine for most gamers, and works on the same motherboards. I'm more concerned about how the Zen 4 rollout will go in 2022 since that will be on an entirely new socket with expensive DDR5.

I would consider getting an Xbox Series S/X if it was completely hacked to run Linux with no possibility of Microsoft bricking it. $300/$500 for an 8-core Zen 2 CPU, decent GPU, 10/16 GB of RAM, etc. in a small form factor is a no-brainer right now. Even without that, getting a Series S and paying $19 just to use the limited Developer Mode might be worth it to some people.

An Avenging Bird

Lean in snorted
I still hope they crash or are regulated into oblivion so these fags can fuck off.

Sadly it might be the worst time to buy a low-end, midrange PC. You might actually be better off with pre-builts at this point.

PSUs are running out of stock, especially the higher wattage ones, because mining faggots buy like 40 cards and need tons of power. Miners also ruin the market because then these cards flood the second hand market where they've been nearly burned out. So it is miners driving PCU prices up. Then you have memory shortages driving memory up with cards.

I AM noticing more stable stock of 3090s, as in not selling in 45 (more like 30 minutes but still) seconds so that encourages me, but the 3080 is still basically extinct in the wild.
I go back and forth on keeping my 1080 Ti in case I want to go back through the Witcher series again or Yakuza but then again these fuckers are going for damn near $600 on fleabay - though there are the fees.
Without some sort of regulation against scalper bots which indefinitely drive up prices and freeze out customers from retail purchases, I'm considering bailing on this hobby.

Vyse Inglebard

HA! That was easy!
jesus
View attachment 1842114

They're on their way out and pricing always gets funky when that happens, but earlier today I checked a large local buy/sell/trade forum and people posted adds wanting to buy 4 5700XTs or any 480/580's you could spare. During the previous mining craze even AMDs entry level HTPC cards jumped A LOT in price.

Holy shit :o I'm SO glad I was able to build my PC when I did (February of last year).

On that note, do any of you dabble in CAD? A close family member of mine wants a PC built exclusively for that. I have everything planned out except the graphics card. (I know, I know) Should I go for a workstation GPU or a normal regular GPU?

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler

MoBo: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case

Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive and Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Stilgar of Troon

Facial Fremen-isation Surgery
True & Honest Fan
Holy shit :o I'm SO glad I was able to build my PC when I did (February of last year).

On that note, do any of you dabble in CAD? A close family member of mine wants a PC built exclusively for that. I have everything planned out except the graphics card. (I know, I know) Should I go for a workstation GPU or a normal regular GPU?
I don't but a friend of mine does. If it's exclusively for CAD, you might as well go for a workstation GPU like a Quadro; you can pick up a P2000 for about 400 or so. When my pal built his CAD machine last year, he got a P2200 and seems pretty happy with it.

JoseRaulChupacabra

1.c4 is not as bad as 1.d4, practically speaking.
When I upgraded my PC back in 2019, I questioned myself whether that was the right call. Looks like that was the right call.

What level of CAD?

Vyse Inglebard

HA! That was easy!
I don't but a friend of mine does. If it's exclusively for CAD, you might as well go for a workstation GPU like a Quadro; you can pick up a P2000 for about 400 or so. When my pal built his CAD machine last year, he got a P2200 and seems pretty happy with it.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks!
What level of CAD?
AutoCAD and SolidWorks. This is what he sent me as a reference: https://www.digitalstorm.com/workstations-engineering.asp

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler

MoBo: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case

Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive and Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Quadro most definitely, the consumer cards are heavily kneecapped for CAD work.
solidworks.JPG
The P2000 is a GTX 1050 and it's beating the RTX 2080TI. You can run SolidWorks and AutoCAD on a laptop using Intel's IGPU, people do that, so it all depends on the workload, maybe you don't even need a discrete GPU? It's like those benchmarks showing that a card runs a game at 700fps while another only runs it at 220fps so therefore... but the P2000 is a lot cheaper than the 2080 so if the computer is only meant for CAD then buying the cheaper AND faster card makes sense.

darkwingosonichugorl

Let me tell you the potential of my balls.
Why would you buy a 1660 last year when you had to know the 3000 series would be dropping soon?

Same for people buying 3000s, why would you buy a 3080 when the 3080ti is going to drop Q1?
Yes, because I only need 1080p cards. The most I'll ever need to buy are the __60 level cards, and even those are a stretch. (1660s is effectively a 2050s). 3060 appears to only be a ~20% improvement on 2060, so the improvement isn't earth shattering.

You cant play the waiting game forever, too. Like when I bought my 2700x Black Friday 2019 for $150, I thought Zen 2 would drop similarly in price now... lol nope. You have to just buy what you need at some point.