Lolcow Grace Lavery & Daniel M. Lavery (Joseph Lavery & Mallory Ortberg) - "Straight with extra steps" couple trooning out to avoid "dwindling into mere heterosexuality"

Bitch Cakes

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately, it's not that low (and sensible). According to this article, it sold for six figures.
Wow! Six figures for a no-name academic who has only 30,000 Twitter followers and isn’t even verified?! I credit Mallory’s connections for that. That or Grace has one hell of a book agent.

Because six figures for this? The memoir audience is a tough nut to crack anyway, but we’re talking about a third or fourth tier personality at best!

I mean, kudos for the grift, I guess.

papaya

kiwifarms.net
Biologists today must feel real kinship with Galileo and what he endured. They have to look over their shoulders and worry about their careers being in jeopardy if they speak factually about sex. Instead they must do a complex patronizing dance to deny objective truth so as to pacify some angry delusional fanatics who want to burn any gender binary heretics at the stake.

But it’s certainly not surprising a “comparative literature professor” would be so ignorant about biology or that he likes to spout off pretending he is a expert on the subject simply because he likes to jack off while wearing panties.

He’s not ignorant about biology. As a straight man, Joe knows exactly what a woman is when he’s looking for a significant other. That’s why he only dates actual women.

Troons and their panderers understand who is male and who is female extremely well.
They’ll tell JK Rowling “suck my girldick” but they won’t say that to Graham Linehan, because they don’t want a man to suck their dick, they only want women to.

Some black man in Brazil will murder a black tranny hooker over a drug deal gone bad and they’ll blame “TERFs” because they think women are to blame for everything even though there is no possible way a group of middle aged British lesbians and moms sitting around discussing reproductive rights could have anything to do with that scenario.

They’ll advocate for stuff that only benefits transgender identifying men(ie “trans women”), like access to women’s prisons and women’s sports. Women who identify as transgender (ie “trans men”, “AFAB enbies”) would not benefit from access to a male prison (less safe) or male sports (less chance to compete). Since transmen are women, what they want is not important to the movement.

Hell their whole slogan is “trans women are women” (not “trans men are men”), because they only really care about the men who stand to benefit from people playing along with their delusions.

Don’t get fooled by smoke and mirrors. They know they’re talking compete bullshit. It’s just a game for them.

Last edited:

Prescription Bugs

kiwifarms.net
Because six figures for this? The memoir audience is a tough nut to crack anyway, but we’re talking about a third or fourth tier personality at best!

I’m going to read it for free when I can. Not one dollar will be given to Joe.

I will read it for the same reason I watch dumb reality TV with questionable ethics. I love a good shit show. I really do.

Can’t look away.

Trianon

kiwifarms.net
I just knew Joe was going to jump into this and defend his bullshit field.

Untitled-4 - Copy (7).jpg

E3dPx0AVcAM6zru.png

This is the same person who reeeeee's over the use of "social contagion" to describe girls trooning out but sees no problem calling whiteness "a malignant, parasitic-like condition." I'm going to link this essay by Oliver Traldi I read today because it is so relevant. Rather than defend their ideas, they always hide behind the idea that people "just don't understand it," and that the use of "whiteness" as a term doesn't mean "white person," duh, obviously, while being insistent that any glancing allusion to their group is a pretext for genocide.

There is a bigger point to be made about language control, too. Pro-woke writers are often seen defending the idea that definitions change naturally, or even that they should be changed artificially, as social mores change, and that invidious associations should not be read into technical terms like “whiteness.” But these principles go out the window when the various names of wokeness are put on the table. The whole theory of language changes: now it’s something top-down, something that should be left to the experts, the people who have “done the reading” and can lecture about it.

Untitled-5 - Copy (7).jpg

And so, the argument not only "checks out" (see: is too good to check), it also is proven by all contrary evidence. (Also the article is about the author hating his disabled friend when they were children. Very cool.)

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow! Six figures for a no-name academic who has only 30,000 Twitter followers and isn’t even verified?! I credit Mallory’s connections for that. That or Grace has one hell of a book agent.

Since I can’t read the contracts details I won’t comment, but let’s just say stories about “bidding wars” and “six figures” tend to be as empty hype and PR exercises, esp when they are in trade rags.

It doesn’t sound nearly as good to say Grace Lavery has been pitching a book to several publishers and signed with one. Stories like this in the trade journals give the illusion this will be a big new book that publishers were lining up to bid against each other to get their hands on this HOT property! Readers of book seller magazine better mark their calendars and pre-order ten copies for this new author everyone will be talking about.

Either Grace’s agent or Seal Press wrote that press release so take with a big grain of salt.

Bitch Cakes

kiwifarms.net
Since I can’t read the contracts details I won’t comment, but let’s just say stories about “bidding wars” and “six figures” tend to be as empty hype and PR exercises, esp when they are in trade rags.

It doesn’t sound nearly as good to say Grace Lavery has been pitching a book to several publishers and signed with one. Stories like this in the trade journals give the illusion this will be a big new book that publishers were lining up to bid against each other to get their hands on this HOT property! Readers of book seller magazine better mark their calendars and pre-order ten copies for this new author everyone will be talking about.

Either Grace’s agent or Seal Press wrote that press release so take with a big grain of salt.
I agree with you, but I was giving the trade rag the benefit of the doubt that the Basic Books deal was for six figures. The UK deal blowjob article I don’t care about, but usually the trades don’t report a six figure deal if it isn’t true.

Granted, the six figures might be with stipulations and not all as an advance, but the trade report def. indicates he got more than the $10k advance I had assumed. Like you said, we don’t have the contract, so who knows, but it sure seems like he scammed a bigger advance than most people of his stature, probably for the reasons Trianon said.

behindyourightnow

kiwifarms.net
I'm more intrigued by what the fuck kind of shitty parent brings their small child anywhere within shouting distance of an obvious fetishistic narcissist like Joe. You would think keeping creepy freaks like him away from your offspring would be standard, but apparently only TERFs care about exercising discernment in such things.
I think Joe would actually be the type to be intimidated by children because children tell it like it is. Not that I would ever bring my hypothetical children around him, but I would enjoy seeing Joe seethe when a kid asks 'mommy what is that scary man wearing?'

I’m just. It’s not even out until February and they are pushing this hard on preorders? I would love to know the size of his advance - I bet he got like $10k. He certainly didn’t get what Mallory gets.

Pushing early preoders is standard with all but the biggest books these days, because it determines what kind of marketing the book will be given by a publisher and bookstores.

Show me a woman who can write a book
like this and still be respected
Can you imagine a female author bragging about being a 'diva' to her agent on Twitter, and what the reaction would be?

Frankly in my experience it's like that in a lot of "intellectual-oriented" spaces, for lack of a better word (arts, culture, academia etc.). Same as when you're in retail you can't dropkick every shitty customer out the store on their ass, in [whatever industry] you have to work around the narcissists on a power trip or your career's coming to an abrupt halt. When the troon menace train finally derails, it'll be some new shit that the personality disordered Powers That Be latch onto and everyone has to tiptoe around.
Absolutely agree. I think many people that have not experienced what you are describing think of AGPs occupying an untouchable, powerful category that was created by modern wokeness, but in reality the category already existed. AGPs just took advantage of wokeness to slide their way into it.

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any way you slice the deal he might have gotten it depresses the hell out of me to know this bloated tick got a book solely because he attached himself to a more successful woman. I'll give Joe credit - he's one hell of a con man.
Well, I mean look at all the hard work Joe has put in to finally make Mallory interesting! Before Joe she was just a boring little well read feminist in a floral skirt who was really a bit much. Joe has transformed her into an exotic figure of flab, body hair and testosterone. Besides all those months of hand holding and coaching her to burn her family at the stake had better have paid some cash dividends for Joey.

I also always enjoy when someone writes a memoir about “getting sober” when it’s obvious they aren’t. If nothing else Joe is really severe food addict now.

Joe should write a substack article to advise people how to give up drugs and pack on 100 lbs in just one year.

Any way you slice the deal he might have gotten it depresses the hell out of me to know this bloated tick sold a book solely because he attached himself to a more successful, well known woman. I'll give Joe credit - he's one hell of a con man.

Indeed. He doesn't even seem to have had an interesting enough life to have a published memoir. He was a drunk/druggie, and then became a complete pervert with no boundaries regarding his fetishes. Whoop-de-doo.

Imagine marrying this person. Actually, imagine being a writer and marrying this person. I like the opening graf wherein Joey posits that when loved ones don’t go along with bald-faced lies, even when their senses have provided ample evidence to the contrary, it’s “defensive.” “You’ll think.”

I bet they have such a fun marriage!!

The last sentence is straight up Homer Simpson in front of the stolen pile of sugar, seconds before God melts the delusion away.

Prescription Bugs

kiwifarms.net
Joe/Grace said today that “Oscar Wilde would be with us.” Oh really? Cause supposedly Wilde had sex with boys. Reports say one was 13, one looked about 14, and one was 16. I don’t think that you really would want Wilde in your corner really, I mean outside of literature perhaps. Wilde needs to stay in history and not be anyone we emulate, okay?

Further Joe/Grace has doubled down on the right of 16 year olds to transition without parents consent, and it just is very clear to me, that Joe/Grace is no friend to parents really. Of course he has no clue what it means to be an parent. But would he be fine with someone lopping parts of his poor dogs?

An aside: His dogs are honestly kind of ugly. I wish someone could make them identify as something cuter. They are not adorable at all.

In conclusion:
He’s anti free speech. Pro rich people having security (his team), but anti poor people having security (cops). He wants Wilde in his fetish corner. His dogs are unattractive, although they can’t help that they were bred for people with poor taste. And he is totally cool with girls hacking off boobs at 16 and vaginal atrophy and perpetual crotch wounds.

In the end none of what he did would matter to me but transing the kids is inexcusable. If he’d just have worn girls clothes and kept his body parts the same, he would truly have been cutting edge. Nobody’s doing that though these days. Instead to wear pink silk and floral scents apparently you must also have estrogen coursing through your body.

Last edited:

Trianon

kiwifarms.net
Joe is chimping out about Maya Forstater and Oscar Wilde today. The deluge is honestly overwhelming for a simple farmer.

In conclusion:
He’s anti free speech. Pro rich people having security (his team), but anti poor people having security (cops).

He really is. He says he doesn't want anyone to be jailed for their speech, but he is happy for other arms of the state to force them to be silent. He is a bootlicker. The reality that the state does not have his back on this is sinking in.

Untitled-1 - Copy (15).jpg

Untitled-2 - Copy (15).jpg

See you as a woman? For using "luv"? You idiot squirrel.

Potatis Salad

Criticism, fiction, pastiche, and purest goof <3
kiwifarms.net
Rapturous Lily posts from Joe:
concerned1.PNG

concernedfull.jpggorpcore.PNG

While Mallory is relegated to selfie time :( (Anybody know who that is in the photo on the left?)
twosirs.PNG
Her pube beard is really getting lush, too bad the profile view is so clockable. Those weird short beards that don't quite cover the whole jaw + that characteristic sharp point under the ears = FTM dead giveaway:
druidaf.PNG

Also ummm wasn't "safeguarding" the whole point of that drama-filled Menlo Church fiasco?
safeguardingeuphemism.PNG