Grand Theft Auto - Yep, I've been drinkin' again...

Favorite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto 2

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Votes: 73 36.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 78 39.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Advanced

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Episodes From Liberty City (The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony)

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Online

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • My Mother's My Sister!

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I guess fool me for having GTA:SA as my first GTA game since it spoilt me with all the open space areas, Bigfoot mysteries and even entering water safely
I remember when GTA IV first came out, I was surprised I could swim in Liberty City. I fell off to the ocean, I was shocked that Niko could swim.

GTA V has a surprisingly developed underwater world. Marine life, submarines, triathlons, even swimming stats. One side mission really lets you explore the underwater world.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
iirc 3 just had the one station with the guy who would later (earlier) be doing music jock work in one of the other PS2 games, maybe the second PS2 one had two talk stations, trash shock jock and npr?
Liberty City Stories had one talk station, but it featured multiple shows, including a reprisal of Chatterbox from GTA III as well as "Nurse Bob", who was a parody of Dr. Phil and Religious Right fundies, and a celebrity talk show sort of like K-Chat from Vice City.

• Informative
Reactions: The Last Stand

Oscar Wildean

Stephen Fries
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
iirc 3 just had the one station with the guy who would later (earlier) be doing music jock work in one of the other PS2 games, maybe the second PS2 one had two talk stations, trash shock jock and npr?
I saw it so long ago. If it's the game that had Michael Rappaport in it, then that's the one I listened to.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Remember me talking about the botched San Andreas port to Xbox 360? Vadim M made a video about the many problems with the port.

TL:biggrin:W
  • Audio disappearing during cutscenes
  • Semi transparent visual glitches during prolonged gameplay
  • Misplaced audio during cutscenes
  • Game crashes, particularly during Flight School
  • PS3 "fixed" some problems, added more
  • Missing music
  • Compressed sound and textures
  • Bad facial and character models
Such a shame, I didn't like San Andreas too much back then, this version is even worse. Thank goodness I didn't receive many crashes.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Remember me talking about the botched San Andreas port to Xbox 360? Vadim M made a video about the many problems with the port.

TL:biggrin:W
  • Audio disappearing during cutscenes
  • Semi transparent visual glitches during prolonged gameplay
  • Misplaced audio during cutscenes
  • Game crashes, particularly during Flight School
  • PS3 "fixed" some problems, added more
  • Missing music
  • Compressed sound and textures
  • Bad facial and character models
Such a shame, I didn't like San Andreas too much back then, this version is even worse. Thank goodness I didn't receive many crashes.
The only good things about the 360 port are the achievements and being a reliable way to play San Andreas these days. I adore the game, but holy god is the port a shit show. Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves for releasing such a half assed effort for the game's 10th anniversary.

Now that I think about it, I think that port is another reason why my opinion of them has soured in recent years. It's bad enough that they left single player fans out to dry twice in a row (GTA V and RDR 2 have great campaigns, but abandoning them after launch is horseshit), but to treat a game as revered as San Andreas like that? Where's their respect for the past?

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's bad enough that they left single player fans out to dry twice in a row (GTA V and RDR 2 have great campaigns, but abandoning them after launch is horseshit), but to treat a game as revered as San Andreas like that? Where's their respect for the past?
If they can monetize it, sure. I.e. Smuggler's Run via GTA Online.

What I find depressing is that GTA V pokes fun of elements such as technology and the Almighty Dollar, yet its Online counterpart is the antithesis of its satirical roots. It makes fun of capitalism and artificial wealth, but encourages spending. Jimmy De Santa is your average toxic gamer, but GTA Online's community is pretty toxic. Hell, even the CoD ripoff in GTA V jokes about how video games sells overpriced DLC, but GTA Online ... does the same thing.

It's not funny when you actually do it.

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
fuck you damned pedestrians i'm posting mods now

Reactions: Draza

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net

What I find depressing is that GTA V pokes fun of elements such as technology and the Almighty Dollar, yet its Online counterpart is the antithesis of its satirical roots. It makes fun of capitalism and artificial wealth, but encourages spending. Jimmy De Santa is your average toxic gamer, but GTA Online's community is pretty toxic. Hell, even the CoD ripoff in GTA V jokes about how video games sells overpriced DLC, but GTA Online ... does the same thing.

Lord knows how much worse it can get with GTA VI. Great as RDR 2's campaign was, that was being made before GTA Online became the (forced) phenomenon that it's been for years. While I want to remain positive that they'll at least give us a decent campaign before abandoning it, the more cynical part of me wonders if they'll put less focus on it or divert its resources for GTA Online 2. I'm talking shorter, less activities, and having a worse story than V while Online 2 gets tons of overpriced content out the wazoo from the get-go...

The 3rd Hooligan

\[T]/
kiwifarms.net
I'm amazed R* lasted that long until following shady practices to the likes of EA, Ubisoft and Activision.
They're kinda like Bethseda as they occupy the niche of creating RD and GTA and there is little to no good competion nowadays atleast in the public eye.

For example Saints Row went from a viable alternative to HDverse GTA to a parody of itself.

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
The poll forgot GTA Chinatown Wars. I have it on Nintendo DS and it’s pretty fun but the drug dealing mini game is more fun than the actual story missions so I just play it like Drug Dealer Simulator.
I'm playing through it right now after a decade and I'm surprised with how easy it is. Also the story is dogshit (or should I say dogmeat haha) with no real payoff. Definitely the worst story of any GTA, even 3.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
I'm amazed R* lasted that long until following shady practices to the likes of EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Although they have been known to crunch starting with Midnight Club: Los Angeles.
I think Rockstar lasted as long as it did because until recently most of it's subsidiaries were basically given complete autonomy.
You can tell that most of the old school rockstar games were made by medium sized teams that pretty much all knew eachother and liked to take the piss.

Once again, modern technology and business practices kills everything.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm playing through it right now after a decade and I'm surprised with how easy it is.
I actually liked how simple the story was. His father died, so the son must transfer a family heirloom to next in line. But, he gets ambushed and has to find the heirloom for his uncle in Liberty City.

I love the parody with Chinese and action tropes. The characters although meh written are hilarious. And well animated.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I remember when GTA IV first came out, I was surprised I could swim in Liberty City. I fell off to the ocean, I was shocked that Niko could swim.

GTA V has a surprisingly developed underwater world. Marine life, submarines, triathlons, even swimming stats. One side mission really lets you explore the underwater world.
The underwater stuff is one of my absolute favorite aspects of GTAV, I can explore the ocean for hours.

I really it returns and is expanded on for VI, that's one reason why I hope the setting is Vice City.

Lazlow right? It's funny that he's basically the only recurring character in the series.
It was really cool to see him as an actual in game character in V.

But that raises the question, what exactly is the connection between the HDverse and the 3Dverse? Are they just entirely separate continuities or are some version of the events of the PS2 games supposed to have occurred? Grove Street is in V after all.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But that raises the question, what exactly is the connection between the HDverse and the 3Dverse? Are they just entirely separate continuities or are some version of the events of the PS2 games supposed to have occurred? Grove Street is in V after all.
Outside of some visual and dialogue references, the 3Dverse and HDverse are two canonically different universes. Events that happened in GTA 3/LCS have no bearing on the events in GTA IV and vice versa.

Laslow and some gags to past GTAs are fan service if you would like that sorta thing. Don't overthink it.

Reactions: Draza

FunPosting101

Ebin posting only. No other posts allowed. :DDDD
kiwifarms.net

I mostly agree with you here, but GTA has always been the kind of game that attracts a "toxic" crowd. For example, I distinctly remember seeing how many old ladies I could run over with an ambulance and other sorts of sociopathic behavior when I was playing these games. The microtransaction bullshit needs to fucking die in a fucking fire though.

Tags
None