Grand Theft Auto - Yep, I've been drinkin' again...

Favorite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto 2

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 76 38.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Advanced

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • Episodes From Liberty City (The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony)

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 48 24.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Online

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • My Mother's My Sister!

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mostly agree with you here, but GTA has always been the kind of game that attracts a "toxic" crowd. For example, I distinctly remember seeing how many old ladies I could run over with an ambulance and other sorts of sociopathic behavior when I was playing these games.
When I say toxic, I mean it's online community. Single player, you're free to do and act how you want personally.

Then again, sports games and violent video games tend to attract the competitive and toxic of players sometimes.

FunPosting101

Ebin posting only. No other posts allowed. :DDDD
kiwifarms.net
When I say toxic, I mean it's online community. Single player, you're free to do and act how you want personally.

Then again, sports games and violent video games tend to attract the competitive and toxic of players sometimes.
I know that you were referring to the online community, and the issue aside from what you mentioned in your own post, is that GTA in particular inevitably attracts people who like being assholes to other people online. There's no real way to fix that either, not without killing what makes online GTA enjoyable in the first place anyway.

Spit bucket

Hey, would you like to join the way of Jashin?
kiwifarms.net
I know that you were referring to the online community, and the issue aside from what you mentioned in your own post, is that GTA in particular inevitably attracts people who like being assholes to other people online. There's no real way to fix that either, not without killing what makes online GTA enjoyable in the first place anyway.
Red Dead Redemption 1 had a multiplayer mode called " Friendly " which players couldn't kill each other but could still free roam the map. I know this wouldn't really fix the problems of the community itself but at least if they would've put a mode like this in people could login and drive down the street without being blown up by some dickhead in a flying motorcycle.

FunPosting101

Ebin posting only. No other posts allowed. :DDDD
kiwifarms.net
Red Dead Redemption 1 had a multiplayer mode called " Friendly " which players couldn't kill each other but could still free roam the map. I know this wouldn't really fix the problems of the community itself but at least if they would've put a mode like this in people could login and drive down the street without being blown up by some dickhead in a flying motorcycle.
That's a nice idea, maybe modern Rockstar will listen to you after they add another 50 bajillion micro-transactions to GTA Online and RDR 2.

• Feels
Reactions: Vault Boy

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
It's a shame that R* shows no intent of mentioning TBOGT again outside of some static cameos. That was a fun set of characters
Given how they've treated TLAD's characters in Trevor's starting missions, I'm glad the only one they brought back from TBOGT was that douchebag, Rocko. I've a feeling that if they brought back Luis and Tony for the campaign, they would've been broke coke fiends that Trevor would stab to death in a dingy alley.

Note that I actually love Trevor as a character, but holy shit did they do TLAD dirty.

Cheemsburbger

kiwifarms.net
Given how they've treated TLAD's characters in Trevor's starting missions, I'm glad the only one they brought back from TBOGT was that douchebag, Rocko. I've a feeling that if they brought back Luis and Tony for the campaign, they would've been broke coke fiends that Trevor would stab to death in a dingy alley.

Note that I actually love Trevor as a character, but holy shit did they do TLAD dirty.
The way they just completely reversed Johnny to pre-TLAD rubbed me the wrong way hard. In TLAD, he had quit hard drugs and Ashley for good, and the story only reinforced his character development. Then we get skinny tweaker Johnny with 30 seconds of screentime a few years later. The entire story and cast of the TLAD got raped over the course of two missions

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
The way they just completely reversed Johnny to pre-TLAD rubbed me the wrong way hard. In TLAD, he had quit hard drugs and Ashley for good, and the story only reinforced his character development. Then we get skinny tweaker Johnny with 30 seconds of screentime a few years later. The entire story and cast of the TLAD got raped over the course of two missions
I plain hated that most of the remaining cast got killed off within five minutes of each other.

I would've been fine if they were antagonists for Trevor, at least then they could have time to pose as a genuine threat.

Cheemsburbger

kiwifarms.net
I plain hated that most of the remaining cast got killed off within five minutes of each other.

I would've been fine if they were antagonists for Trevor, at least then they could have time to pose as a genuine threat.
They straight up did The Lost dirty. Johnny was one of my favorite characters in the entire series, and his entire crew got demoted to props in Trevor's establishing shot. But most people haven't played either of the episodes, and the younger players might not even know about IV so I can't say I don't understand the decision making

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
I wonder if anyone disliked TLAD and actually liked their GTAV (dis)appearance.

Though Johnny was a likable character and seemed to redeem himself, if my memory serves the crew itself were actually pretty shitty. They robbed and ripped off their own supposed allies. I know there was probably not a single morally upstanding character in IV but I'm just saying they were scumbags who some could say got what they had coming. Karma and such. And the former leader of the crew Billy Grey was an absolute shithead so I can only imagine how bad their track record was while he was in the reigns.

Just my thoughts regarding TLAD.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: The Last Stand

Cheemsburbger

kiwifarms.net
I wonder if anyone disliked TLAD and actually liked their GTAV (dis)appearance.

Though Johnny was a likable character and seemed to redeem himself, if my memory serves the crew itself were actually pretty shitty. They robbed and ripped off their own supposed allies. I know there was probably not a single morally upstanding character in IV but I'm just saying they were scumbags who some could say got what they had coming. Karma and such. And the former leader of the crew Billy Grey was an absolute shithead so I can only imagine how bad their track record was while he was in the reigns.

Just my thoughts regarding TLAD.
During Trevor's detour while going to Los Santos, you can eavesdrop on a brief conversation where two members rant about how Johnny was a terrible leader who was responsible for destroying the Alderney chapter, and praising Billy Grey immediately after and denying that he was a snitch. That little conversation is why I think sparing Brian is the canon option, because he would've had enough influence to make everyone believe that

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
Wasn’t The Lost and Damned written by someone other than Dan Houser?
Don't know, but it did kind of seem like the writers had it out for that expansion with the way the characters got treated. I guess they were trying to make Trevor look like a badass by killing an old GTA protagonist, but I'm not exactly sure what's badass about curbstomping some feeble meth heads.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: The Last Stand

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Happy New Year! This is a very informative, in depth documentary of GTA's history and potential future. One such example is that the first GTA was a result of a bug from a Race n Chase concept. The cop AI was being erratic, so they turned that into a game.

Not only that but DMA used tabloids, sensational media to gain traction for GTA 1. Very smart marketing. Also shows how people jump to conclusions because it's written.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
While the chances of an eventual sequel to Bully are pretty slim at the moment despite the huge fan demand, with how big a role Houser played in making all the Rockstar games he's worked on so memorable I'm not sure if I even want a Bully 2 anymore if it's without him. I do wish him success with all his future endeavors, but I also doubt Rockstar's gonna be the same now that he's gone.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dan Houser has actually spoken against some of the more dubious decisions that were made in GTA V, such as the lack of single-player updates or the micro-transactions in GTA Online. IIRC, he mentioned in an interview that he did not want to include the Shark Cards in GTA Online but was overruled by someone higher up at Rockstar/Take Two.
@Syaoran Li do you have a link confirming this?

Tags
None