Grand Theft Auto - Yep, I've been drinkin' again...

Favorite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto 2

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 76 38.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Advanced

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • Episodes From Liberty City (The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony)

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 48 24.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Online

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • My Mother's My Sister!

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
@Syaoran Li do you have a link confirming this?
It was in an interview in an article that was posted on GTA Forums, where he talked about GTA VI being difficult to write in a modern setting. Most of the stuff about GTA VI being an explicit period piece is rumors and speculation for now, but given this interview, it would make sense.

The original IGN article, for context

Dan Houser mentions how both SJW's and the Alt-Right have become more ridiculous in reality that any attempt satire would come off as ineffective.

Combined with a lot of the other rumors about the alleged "Project Americas" leaks and its supposed 1980's Florida and Caribbean setting and how GTA VI might be set in an HD Universe version of Vice City, I could see Houser wanting to make GTA VI a period piece.

As for the Shark Cards controversies, I've seen that pop up several times in both online discussions and in videos and articles about it, I'll have to find some specific ones first.

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So while I was browsing through a beta hunt topic on the GTAForums I stumbled onto something amazingly (bordering on ridiculously) obscure:
1583379845021.png

1583379872112.png

1583379949462.png

1583380165327.png

1583380183277.png

1583380205023.png

1583380226255.png

-----

Also there's a whole imgur album (https://imgur.com/a/ejevb) full of pictures from development (nothing too mindblowing unfortunately) that were on someone's portfolio website I think before it got taken down quickly.

EDIT: Here's a list of stuff uncovered that keeps getting repeated in that topic:
To avoid reposts of things already found and so everyone doesn't have to read through all the pages to find out all the things posted, I thought I would post a summary of the bigger things that have been discovered
I'm only listing things that have actual evidence to support it.

- The revolver was cut according to the art book and (possibly) a screenshot.
- Barbershops were cut according to pictures found in the game files
- Perestroika had a different exterior design according to a picture found in the game files
- The Go Go Space Monkey arcade game from GTA SA was in the beta. Backed up by a screenshot. There are also some files for a space mini-game.
- Higgins Helitours was called Magmum Helitours according to a calendar in the PS3 version of the game
- Tom Goldberg had a different appearance. His beta model still exists in the files. There is a picture of the beta Goldberg in his building on PC, on PS3 his picture is of the final model. I've seen his beta model around in Alderney as random peds sometimes.
- Audio suggests that Niko would have been able to buy drugs.
- In Final Interview, you would have to go to the security reception and open the doors yourself to gain access to Goldberg. Proven by gxt entries.
- In The Cousins Bellic, you would visit a food vendor (according to a gxt entry)
- In Bull in a China Shop, you would beat up the owners son. You would also have to "make peace with the owner" and smash both of the shop's windows (according to gxt entries). Audio also suggests that Vlad would send Niko back to the shop to give the owner a bottle of vodka. Rockstar wouldn't have just created an interior just to smash a window with a brick, so it is quite obvious the mission was toned down.
- An interior was made for another bank to be in the game. From a former R* worker's portfolio.
- Golf was planned. Props exist in the files and there is a gxt entry mentioning golf as a friend activity.
- The gxt files also suggest that there was a money cheat and that you could buy a new Tinkle phone online.
- Final Interview was also different once again. You would e-mail a person called Patricia Jones and you would get an e-mail back to confirm the interview. This character does not exist in the final game. GXT entries as usual prove this.
- Kate McReary would be in the deal version of Roman's wedding. If you watch the cutscene in OpenIV, you see that Rockstar moved her beneath everyone else so you can't see her in the game. She is there, you just can't see her.
- Niko's phone had a different model. It was curvier. You can see this in the Brady Games guide.
- The Pakistani Street vendor would work at the cut jewelry stores according to unused audio.
- An earlier version of Ruff Rider would have Niko enter the arcade and he would find Dwayne's ex Bernice (who is called Cherise in the final game) and Jayvon and you would "get" Bernice. You would also shoot your way through the arcade.
Here is a comparison of the earlier and final version of Ruff Rider. Notice how the early version uses exclamation marks in the objectives, a style that isn't used in the final game
9yFu3Of.jpg

Last edited:

D.Angus

kiwifarms.net
GTA 4 on PC is getting a little update that combines both 4 and Episodes from Liberty City into one package. You just need to own either 4 or Episodes.

Basically this update is going to remove all the Games for Windows LIVE features from it, so breaking Leader-boards and Multiplayer. Also the exclusive radio stations for Episodes from Liberty City will be "temporary" removed, but no word if they're going to butcher playlist before bringing them back in.

Also Japanese players are forced to select another language to play Episodes from Liberty City as only 4 was supported with Japanese subtitles.

Full details here: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360043039674/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-and-Grand-Theft-Auto-Episodes-from-Liberty-City-updates-to-remove-Games-for-Windows-Live

-------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR: GTA 4 is becoming a complete package on PC and Games for Windows LIVE features are removed. No other bug fixes/optimizations announced.

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
TL;DR: GTA 4 is becoming a complete package on PC and Games for Windows LIVE features are removed. No other bug fixes/optimizations announced.
I wouldn't call it "complete" since it is missing multiplayer, which was originally released with GTA IV. There's no word of whether it will officially return unlike the radio stations, so I figured it's gone for good.

I suspect that the removal of GFWL isn't the only reason why multiplayer was omitted. Remember GTA Online is making R* and Take Two a shitload of money each day with Shark Cards. GTA IV doesn't have microtransactions so they can't make anything off of it.

At least there's unofficial ways to play IV multiplayer via PC. And console IV, but there are modders there. So RIP GTA IV's multiplayer.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
I picked San Andreas and V.

V was mostly a return to form from the abysmal IV (I'm sorry but I barely managed to beat it once, which is unheard of for GTA for me because of how utterly boring it was), but it's not perfect. It's still too tied to realism bullshit, but at least they listened.... and it's fun.
I want to say Online is the perfect GTA environment, and I have had fun times, but the other 99%, you get 12 year olds or hackers, which kill the experience. Absolutely toxic community, which is true for any multiplayer game, I'd say.

And San Andreas is a game I've played far more than necessary. It's extremely outdated these days, but even then, I feel I could get back into it.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to say Online is the perfect GTA environment, and I have had fun times, but the other 99%, you get 12 year olds or hackers, which kill the experience. Absolutely toxic community, which is true for any multiplayer game, I'd say.
GTA Online ruined GTA for me. The Shark Cards for one. A novel concept ruined by greed and pay to win garbage. The GTA YouTube clickbait community like MrBossFTW and Lispy second. They're the reason why GTA Online is all little kids and cheap mechanics.

Third, it's unstructured chaos. When I play an open world game, I want the game and I to feel in control of the experience. Which is why I enjoy GTA and clones: the freedom to explore, and have a great story at my leisure. Not to wonder if some player will handicap my experience.

GTA IV was a great game ... At the time. Now, with the butchered soundtrack, clunky movement, infected multiplayer and annoying collectibles, I can't see myself going back to enjoy it's great setting, varied characters and gripping story.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
GTA is what got me into third person open world/action (IE, not just boring TPS games, like anything Naughty Dog puts out).

Vice City was my first and I loved it at the time; but it's so small and easy now, I think I 100%'d it within one week, playing casually. And I actually only got into VC first because I was interested in a BTTF mod for it, and once that got old, I tried the game.

But I quickly discovered better open world games; Scarface the World is Yours comes to mind. That was a game that actually made me learn to shoot, and damn was it fun. And that lead to Saint's Row 2. At first I thought it was the most blatant clone I'd ever seen, but I soon got into the story and the customization.

I know everyone likes to hate 3 and 4, but I just replayed 3, and it's my favorite of the series. It's the perfect SR game. Fluid controls, and while some of 2 was lost, I feel a lot more was gained. I loved 4 my first time too, but now.... not so much. Its new VR gameplay directly clashes with the SR formula: guns, hostages, health regeneration, etc. Now you flee or insta-kill rush to get health. It should've been a wholly different game.

BUT.... there's something to be said about doing all that shit with awesome music playing, no matter what you're doing. That alone make SR4 worth playing. It's still fun because of that atmosphere.

And I don't get the hate at Agents of Mayhem. I found it for 5 bucks at GameStop, and just goofed around for an hour, and my god, is it so much fun. It made me realize how much I love Volition overall. I mean, compare their SR controls to any GTA; GTA V barely functions because it copied RDR's scheme, but early games were completely unplayable to me on console. And even on PC, you either have to auto-aim or die.

Funny how the imitators figured out how to do third person console shooting/action better than the pioneers.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Funny how the immitators figured out how to do third person console
When there's no competition, you tend to get complacent. I'm glad GTA expanded the open world genre, and then other companies were inspired to make their own. Thus, creating the GTA clone. Although, I think clone is insulting. Let it be its own genre.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if anyone disliked TLAD and actually liked their GTAV (dis)appearance.

Though Johnny was a likable character and seemed to redeem himself, if my memory serves the crew itself were actually pretty shitty. They robbed and ripped off their own supposed allies. I know there was probably not a single morally upstanding character in IV but I'm just saying they were scumbags who some could say got what they had coming. Karma and such. And the former leader of the crew Billy Grey was an absolute shithead so I can only imagine how bad their track record was while he was in the reigns.

Just my thoughts regarding TLAD.
I must be in the minority, because I like seeing proper characterization, regardless if I like or dislike a character.

I actually enjoyed the episodes of Liberty City, and I did like Johnny and his game, but I also really liked seeing him get murdered instantly by Trevor in V.

Johnny had become a shell, addicted to meth just like Ashley, because he was stupid enough to take her back.... yet again. He couldn't learn his lesson, which was hinted at many times prior in TLAD. He got what he deserved, and it was fitting to everything set up with him as a character. So liking him doesn't mean I want him immune from consequence. I like consequences in my writing.

That mission was one of my favorites in V, simply because of that: Johnny, and it served as a powerful introduction to Trevor.

To me, liking a character doesn't mean you should never want 'bad' things to happen to them. That's some Chris level "EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE PERFECT BECAUSE I BELIEVE THEY'RE REAL" kind of autism.

Last edited:

Xenomorphs Are Cute

kiwifarms.net
GTA Online ruined GTA for me. The Shark Cards for one. A novel concept ruined by greed and pay to win garbage. The GTA YouTube clickbait community like MrBossFTW and Lispy second. They're the reason why GTA Online is all little kids and cheap mechanics.

Third, it's unstructured chaos. When I play an open world game, I want the game and I to feel in control of the experience. Which is why I enjoy GTA and clones: the freedom to explore, and have a great story at my leisure. Not to wonder if some player will handicap my experience.

GTA IV was a great game ... At the time. Now, with the butchered soundtrack, clunky movement, infected multiplayer and annoying collectibles, I can't see myself going back to enjoy it's great setting, varied characters and gripping story.
V is pretty fun when the mods get in.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
GTA 4 on PC is getting a little update that combines both 4 and Episodes from Liberty City into one package. You just need to own either 4 or Episodes.

Basically this update is going to remove all the Games for Windows LIVE features from it, so breaking Leader-boards and Multiplayer. Also the exclusive radio stations for Episodes from Liberty City will be "temporary" removed, but no word if they're going to butcher playlist before bringing them back in.

Also Japanese players are forced to select another language to play Episodes from Liberty City as only 4 was supported with Japanese subtitles.

Full details here: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360043039674/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-and-Grand-Theft-Auto-Episodes-from-Liberty-City-updates-to-remove-Games-for-Windows-Live

-------------------------------------------------------

But did they bring back that "shiki shiki schwine" song?

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some relatively new articles about the lost single-player content:

Nothing particularly new here.

Fuck Y'all

local slav lawnjockey
kiwifarms.net
I told myself that if GTA V released story DLC, I'd support the Online model as well as single player.

R* used to always give you value for your dollar with their games. Now it's all microtransactions. "Nothing free in perpetuity."
And that's beacuse of Zelnick double faggotry he butchered Mafia II as well

• Feels
Reactions: Vault Boy

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As for GTA IV multiplayer:

Having Liberty City open for 16 players with various game modes was cool. But I liked how you can divide the map into islands, sections of the city. They didn't make great maps in and of themselves, but for GTA, it was novel.

Any memories of GTA IV multiplayer?

Cops and Crooks was my favorite game mode, shame it had a lower population compared to Deathmatch. Being the cops chasing the crooks or the reverse was exciting online.

I remember Deathmatch with pistols only in Prison. It was balanced enough to reward skill and precision in a confined space.

D.Angus

kiwifarms.net
Any memories of GTA IV multiplayer?
I remember plenty of good times on 4's Multiplayer.. I think this is the actual game that made me get live to begin with.

I don't think there was a bad game mode in the bunch. I remember having tons of fun with all of them, but Deathmatch and Freeroam were the two biggest.

I just remember the bulk of interesting stuff happening in Freeroam. Turning off Friendly Fire and killing each other with physics, bopping other players with thrown objects, hitting them with cars, grenade bowling. Getting on during the night at the peak of it's popularity, you'd get all sorts of interesting people playing.

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just remember the bulk of interesting stuff happening in Freeroam.
I recall a lot of Freeroam being in the airport. From my experience, Francis International Airport was a popular map of choice. I assume because of the attack helicopters.

One Freeroam I recall somebody driving in a toilet on the runway, then my game froze. Modder.

I wasn't much of a Freeroam person, I was committed to the Ranked matches trying to get to Rank 10.

D.Angus

kiwifarms.net
I wasn't much of a Freeroam person, I was committed to the Ranked matches trying to get to Rank 10.
Oh I did a lot of that as well. I think I did so much of Bomb da Base that I could have pretty much spedrun it. Problem was finding other tards to play it over and over with me.

Tags
None