Grand Theft Auto - Yep, I've been drinkin' again...

Favorite GTA?

• Grand Theft Auto

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto 2

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Votes: 149 32.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Advanced

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 117 25.7%
  • Episodes From Liberty City (The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony)

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 94 20.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Online

Votes: 27 5.9%
  • My Mother's My Sister!

Votes: 55 12.1%

• Total voters

Quintex96

kiwifarms.net
You know, Im legit curious after looking at the series as a whole. Do people think that GTA has either become too realistic or cartoonish?

Because I think the 3D entries in the series tried to keep a healthy balance between both but still being aware that this is all meant to be entertaining ultimately. The stories could get a bit silly but not to the point I cant still take them and its characters seriously. GTA 4 tried to lean more on the realistic side...but it ended up being a tad too realistic in my taste, to the point Liberty City doesnt feel too special but I am aware a lot of people do prefer it because of said realism. I dont dislike 4 at all, in fact, I do think that it stands out in the series the most because its actually a compelling story with mostly realistic characters but I always found like it was missing that GTA styled humor that the DLCs were able to bring some of it back. GTA 5 tries to have that balance between sillyness and realism that the 3D entries had I think its their best effort for the time being. I sort of blame this shift because the graphics, I think the "better" they look, the more compelled they feel to bring more realism to the series as a whole.

But the realism/cartoony stuff in the series becomes a heated love/hate topic depending of when they were introduced into the series. Like I said, the ones that started with 4 prefer its more realistic storytelling and atmosphere over the more over the top style of 5 (to the point its difficult to buy they are meant to be set in the same universe, if anything, its easier to buy this being in the 3D universe decades after GTA 3, somehow)

What are you personal opinions?
I always liked 4 because at the time it felt like you were in an actual living city (although, looking back now you can see where it falls short and where they cut corners). 4 is probably my second most played GTA after Vice City and it purely comes down to aesthetics. Vice City captures the feel of an 80's crime movie pefectly and in a similar way 4 captures the feeling of a 2000's Crime TV series and that's what I like about the games.In San Andreas they tried to tackle too much and as a result everything after the Boyz n the hood N.W.A opening feels stilted or tacked on. 5 on the other hand feels more like a parody of itself.

The whole realism vs goofy argument is kinda contrived as all the games have their moments of silliness. It's more a question of whether it fits the mood they are going for. CJ breaking into Area 69 would have been fucking stupid during the Los Santos missions but fits during the post SF Toreno shit. At the same time the sudden shift to Trevor 5 is quite jarring and tonally confused as you were doing Yoga an hour ago.

A lot of what is missing in 5 in particular is the ramp up to the extreme/silly stuff. In VC it's easily 10+ missions before the game even throw a gun at you. SA is the same except your first gun comes with a tutorial. 4 I think takes longer as it gets you acustomed to the way traversal and melee works. Not counting the intro, I think 5 has you gunning down multiple gangsters by like mission 3. Some people might prefer that but to me it's the game blowing it's load early and is proven by the game pregressively trying to be more bombastic by throwing more silly shit at you until the game ends.

Fuck Y'all

Goddamn chemicals turning freakin' frogs gay
kiwifarms.net
GTA Online is dogshit and the average gamer is a fucking retard for accepting this garbage as normal.
On top of that you can't even report a cheater, because he will intercept the report and crash your game :stress:

Also:
>literally nonexistent communication with community
>lack of roadmap
>after FOUR MONTHS still you can't get award for getting all kinds of primary loot because one kind of it still wasn't released

Even chinks can do better than that

The handsome tard

RealHandsomeJack - Based HERO CEO of Hyperion
kiwifarms.net
On top of that you can't even report a cheater, because he will intercept the report and crash your game :stress:

Also:
>lack of roadmap
>after FOUR MONTHS still you can't get award for getting all kinds of primary loot because one kind of it still wasn't released

I dont think he needs to intercept anything, its not like Rockstar does anything most of the times. They are happier in counting their money.

Syaoran Li

Carter Stanley Lives!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Right after the final mission of San Andreas, I wound up in the hills above SA, on a motorcycle, with Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream" playing. Sun was going down, credits had just played, I was doing backflips off hills, and I dunno - something about the scenery and the song and everything going down around us, it all just CLICKED. Perfect ending to one of the best games of all time.

Tons of experiences like that with GTA. Music and missions syncing up, or even just music and freeroam shenanigans syncing up, happened a lot.

(in Vice City, my final mission song was Atomic by Blondie.)

I know that feeling all too well...

For me, my final mission song in Liberty City Stories was "Chase" by Giorgio Moroder. I remember that one distinctly.

You know, Im legit curious after looking at the series as a whole. Do people think that GTA has either become too realistic or cartoonish?

Because I think the 3D entries in the series tried to keep a healthy balance between both but still being aware that this is all meant to be entertaining ultimately. The stories could get a bit silly but not to the point I cant still take them and its characters seriously. GTA 4 tried to lean more on the realistic side...but it ended up being a tad too realistic in my taste, to the point Liberty City doesnt feel too special but I am aware a lot of people do prefer it because of said realism. I dont dislike 4 at all, in fact, I do think that it stands out in the series the most because its actually a compelling story with mostly realistic characters but I always found like it was missing that GTA styled humor that the DLCs were able to bring some of it back. GTA 5 tries to have that balance between sillyness and realism that the 3D entries had I think its their best effort for the time being. I sort of blame this shift because the graphics, I think the "better" they look, the more compelled they feel to bring more realism to the series as a whole.

But the realism/cartoony stuff in the series becomes a heated love/hate topic depending of when they were introduced into the series. Like I said, the ones that started with 4 prefer its more realistic storytelling and atmosphere over the more over the top style of 5 (to the point its difficult to buy they are meant to be set in the same universe, if anything, its easier to buy this being in the 3D universe decades after GTA 3, somehow)

What are you personal opinions?

First off, indeed, old school GTA just had that feels good sensation when it was all set and done. For all the talks of GTA being a murder similation by the "desperated for fearmongering" media, GTA was an actual place of comfort for us back in the day...in a way, locations like Groove Street were truly a home for us all. Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas were our little playgrounds where we could do whatever we wanted, kill, build, explore. The possibilities never ended to us. Thats why I say that the series peeked with the 3D trilogy and while it hasnt been bad at all with 4 and 5, I personally think we lost something with those PS2 games that we are still yet to get it back.

Second off, legit, I may be out of the loop but is Saints Row now dead or something? I know that single player spin off was crap but I still say they could bounce back with S.R 5 (tho how it could be somehow more insane than 4 and Gat out of Hell, fuck if I know).

Agreed completely. GTA IV went a bit too hard towards realism IMO to the point that vanilla IV has the best story of any GTA game but the actual game outside of story missions is bland and boring as fuck compared to the other titles.

GTA V tried to balance both the realism and the goofiness and failed on both ends in the long run.

As for Saints Row, the franchise is dead thanks to the awfulness of both Gat Out of Hell and the failed stealth reboot Agents of Mayhem

The only way it could come back is if they did a complete and total reboot and hard reset of the continuity.

I always liked 4 because at the time it felt like you were in an actual living city (although, looking back now you can see where it falls short and where they cut corners). 4 is probably my second most played GTA after Vice City and it purely comes down to aesthetics. Vice City captures the feel of an 80's crime movie pefectly and in a similar way 4 captures the feeling of a 2000's Crime TV series and that's what I like about the games.In San Andreas they tried to tackle too much and as a result everything after the Boyz n the hood N.W.A opening feels stilted or tacked on. 5 on the other hand feels more like a parody of itself.

The whole realism vs goofy argument is kinda contrived as all the games have their moments of silliness. It's more a question of whether it fits the mood they are going for. CJ breaking into Area 69 would have been fucking stupid during the Los Santos missions but fits during the post SF Toreno shit. At the same time the sudden shift to Trevor 5 is quite jarring and tonally confused as you were doing Yoga an hour ago.

A lot of what is missing in 5 in particular is the ramp up to the extreme/silly stuff. In VC it's easily 10+ missions before the game even throw a gun at you. SA is the same except your first gun comes with a tutorial. 4 I think takes longer as it gets you acustomed to the way traversal and melee works. Not counting the intro, I think 5 has you gunning down multiple gangsters by like mission 3. Some people might prefer that but to me it's the game blowing it's load early and is proven by the game pregressively trying to be more bombastic by throwing more silly shit at you until the game ends.

When you really think about it, each one of the 3D and HD Era games was aiming to emulate either a specific movie or a genre of crime cinema.

GTA III was a basic revenge story with some similarities to the 1998 movie "Payback"

Vice City was both a love letter to the 80's and a more optimistic retelling of Scarface.

San Andreas is unique in that the first act is pretty much a pastiche of early 90's gangbanger movies and then after The Green Sabre is complete, the game becomes "The Count of Monte Cristo with guns and jetpacks"

Liberty City Stories is a favorite of mine and is very underrated IMO, and it's pretty much a pastiche of Mafia films and shows as a whole.

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
Second off, legit, I may be out of the loop but is Saints Row now dead or something? I know that single player spin off was crap but I still say they could bounce back with S.R 5 (tho how it could be somehow more insane than 4 and Gat out of Hell, fuck if I know).

Probably dead? They did a spinoff title, "Agents of Mayhem", which was... well, I guess the polite term is pozzed like a motherfucker. I actually hated it a lot less than other people, but it was not great, and bode poorly for the future of the company. My understanding is that AoM was meant to be the "new" SR continuity, a brave new world where lighthearted violence and casual BDSM gets replaced with brave Indian doctors and condescending PSAs about tolerance - at least until the game bombed and lost a ton of money. (because Hitler, I guess)

Wikipedia says that there's been a new SR in development for a several years now, but I've also heard rumors that it's just vapourware and it's never coming. Dunno what to think, but even they decide to release it, I highly doubt we'll see ever dildo bats and buttnaked luchadores crushing skulls open again.

It's a shame, too, because Rockstar's made it abundantly clear that they don't want us to have fun anymore. Heaven forbid games be fun!

Next GTA, kill someone, and I fully expect Rockstar's servers to contact your household Alexa, then have it podcast a five minute lecture on toxic masculinity and cultures of violence straight into your living room while your character serves out a mandatory, unskippable jail sentence.

MirrorNoir

Un, deux, trois, dit miroir noir
kiwifarms.net
Honestly out of all the GTAs, the only one I felt inclined to mess around in was Vice City. Part of it was the setting, part of it was the soundtrack, and part of it was because Tommy Vercetti was someone I could see going on a rampage for the hell of it. The world map is also small enough to where I can memorize the roads to evade the cops.

For me the soundtrack for VC makes it my favorite game to just fuck around in. I absolutely hated how much the radio station shows in SA were locked forcing you to advance in the story to unlock more shows on the talk/news channels. Also, I was pissed that SA had a garbage selection of early 90s rock and pop stuff. VC had a kick ass rock/pop soundtrack to it that is timeless even today.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net

Also:
>lack of roadmap

report it via Other or record the session, always tell the players to report via Other because they cannot intercept that, it's serversided, not clientsided.

if enough reports in a small timespan happens there is a high chance an admin will pop up to observe the session.

you also cannot collect some stuff because like any big corpo, rockstar never goes back to old content for fixes. it's like clockwork really, they will never touch old stuff even though it might need to be touched badly.
That's the only reason anyone did it. The question is, if you have to force out everyone to even get ahead in this game what is the fucking point of playing the game?

Even in solo lobbies the game is still bullshit though. You could see even 4 years ago that the AI had terminator Aim Bot accuracy, on top of the fucking damage they do being one hit kill. If that wasn't enough, Rockstar programmed NPC AI to specifically fuck with you as seen in the video above.

GTA Online is dogshit and the average gamer is a fucking retard for accepting this garbage as normal.
i don't defend this jank at all but the heists and myriad of modes is what attract gamers to it, rockstar has done enough shit recently and there's the tease that GTA6 will be episodic, utter garbage that is laughable, course youtubers, streamers and journos will shill for it but it's pratically the notion of how much bits the regular gamer has in their minds to care or not about this, the update on aim accuracy fucked up alot of old shit too, also damage is untouched, AI does not deal more damage, they just shoot with perfect accuracy so you will be hit... there's even a sync fuck up that you may get when near players that AI's simply discharge 20~60 bullets on you resulting in dead.

i watch cheating communities and even they fucking laugh hard at that, GTA Online is the prime example of how not to do a online game but a great inspiration for what to thunk of, a big world with taste for bretty much any nigger, from PVPfags to COOP bitches and even carfags with the whole customization thing. just do not clientside a ton of shit because if you can hook network events like reporting, it's going to be easy...
Looks like they have fixed the NAT type glitch.
not really fixed, just new hoops to jump through, sessions remain clientsided including public ones... cheaters have it better because they can start a solo session with the press of a button.

Last edited:

The handsome tard

RealHandsomeJack - Based HERO CEO of Hyperion
kiwifarms.net
Probably dead? They did a spinoff title, "Agents of Mayhem", which was... well, I guess the polite term is pozzed like a motherfucker. I actually hated it a lot less than other people, but it was not great, and bode poorly for the future of the company. My understanding is that AoM was meant to be the "new" SR continuity, a brave new world where lighthearted violence and casual BDSM gets replaced with brave Indian doctors and condescending PSAs about tolerance - at least until the game bombed and lost a ton of money. (because Hitler, I guess)

Wikipedia says that there's been a new SR in development for a several years now, but I've also heard rumors that it's just vapourware and it's never coming. Dunno what to think, but even they decide to release it, I highly doubt we'll see ever dildo bats and buttnaked luchadores crushing skulls open again.

It's a shame, too, because Rockstar's made it abundantly clear that they don't want us to have fun anymore. Heaven forbid games be fun!

Next GTA, kill someone, and I fully expect Rockstar's servers to contact your household Alexa, then have it podcast a five minute lecture on toxic masculinity and cultures of violence straight into your living room while your character serves out a mandatory, unskippable jail sentence.

To be fair, Agents of Mayhem was just a spin off, I mean, usually those are pretty low risk stuff, right?

But you did bring up a fair point, Saints Row could never fly in today's environment. 3 and 4 were extremely satirical and held no punches at mocking everything. Some people could say it went too far but its clear that it was the whole point. I think it was rather the culture these games were created in, offending the status quo was rather the vanguard thing to do...

Now saying that there are more than 2 genders is. Yeah, it would be extremely boring. The series oddly enough had, at least in my headacanon, a bad ass strong female Boss...tho she probably would say transexuals arent people and use them for target practice for her dual magnums while laughing like a dank maniac...so maybe not exactly the hero the left would approve of.

"Where is the button to turn myself in?"
-Hank Hill

X Pac Heat

Go back to reddit, fed.
kiwifarms.net
It isn't so much a realism vs sillyness thing. Rockstars biggest mistake was going balls deep on one thing, the narrative. GTA IV suffered the most because of it. The entire god damn free roaming part game did not need to be grounded just in service to the story, especially after a game like San Andreas.

Then in GTA V, they act like if they get silly with the story it makes up for the fact that there is hardly anything fun to do in the open world.

Rampages, bounty hunting, skydiving, triathalons... None of this shit needs to be super structured and have a narrative behind it.

MirrorNoir

Un, deux, trois, dit miroir noir
kiwifarms.net
Cynical theory is that they can bring shit full circle and remake SR 1-2 for the Switch but with the games more in line with SR3-4 tone-wise.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, Agents of Mayhem was just a spin off, I mean, usually those are pretty low risk stuff, right?
AOM was literally SR5, the game flies off based on the "build a new world" thing from gat out of hell but as GI joe hero shooter WITHOUT COOP/MP, they tried to excuse the characters reappearing on the game and not knowing eachother and all but aside from the boss, almost every other character reappears... volition is technically dead so saints row is also dead too.

Long Tongue Silver

Goes into places other tongues can't. Or won't.
kiwifarms.net
That's the only reason anyone did it. The question is, if you have to force out everyone to even get ahead in this game what is the fucking point of playing the game?

Even in solo lobbies the game is still bullshit though. You could see even 4 years ago that the AI had terminator Aim Bot accuracy, on top of the fucking damage they do being one hit kill. If that wasn't enough, Rockstar programmed NPC AI to specifically fuck with you as seen in the video above.

Dodging asshole NPCs was my life back when I was doing the import/export car runs.
You'd be amazed at how therapeutic it feels to unload an entire magazine on an NPC after your ride gets trashed by one of those AI bastards.

X Pac Heat

Go back to reddit, fed.
kiwifarms.net
Dodging asshole NPCs was my life back when I was doing the import/export car runs.
You'd be amazed at how therapeutic it feels to unload an entire magazine on an NPC after your ride gets trashed by one of those AI bastards.

I didn't even bother. Just cargobob'd that shit every time. Even now I feel like a retard for continuing to play it at that point.

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Then in GTA V, they act like if they get silly with the story it makes up for the fact that there is hardly anything fun to do in the open world.

Rampages, bounty hunting, skydiving, triathalons... None of this shit needs to be super structured and have a narrative behind it.
I liked the narrative spin with the activities in V.

I could see Trevor going on a psychotic rampage. Or Franklin being adventurous with skydiving and triathlons. I just wish there were rampages and more activities for Micheal.

But you did bring up a fair point, Saints Row could never fly in today's environment. 3 and 4 were extremely satirical and held no punches at mocking everything. Some people could say it went too far but its clear that it was the whole point. I think it was rather the culture these games were created in, offending the status quo was rather the vanguard thing to do...
Saints Row felt more "goofy" than satirical with 3. Like an adult's toy box in an open world.

Fuck Y'all

kiwifarms.net
you also cannot collect some stuff because like any big corpo, rockstar never goes back to old content for fixes. it's like clockwork really, they will never touch old stuff even though it might need to be touched badly.
Nigger, I'm talking about current update; they still didn't add panther Statue to the loot
Blame current culture; the games are made to being maximum inoffensive (hoping for broader appeal and bigger sales in result)

Which fails miserably, because niggas be like "this shit is weak, dog" and don't buy it and REEEra still will find something to call the game transphobic:story:

FunPosting101

Ebin posting only. No other posts allowed. :DDDD
kiwifarms.net

Now saying that there are more than 2 genders is. Yeah, it would be extremely boring. The series oddly enough had, at least in my headacanon, a bad ass strong female Boss...tho she probably would say transexuals arent people and use them for target practice for her dual magnums while laughing like a dank maniac...so maybe not exactly the hero the left would approve of.

"Where is the button to turn myself in?"
-Hank Hill
Classic Saints Row absolutely would "fly in today's environment", provided that the people developing and publishing it are capable of understanding that people who screech about woke nonsense on twitter are not their audience and that people don't actually base their purchasing decisions on the word of various supposedly mainstream gaming review websites.

Fuck Y'all

kiwifarms.net
panther statue has very low rates
No, it's out of RNG wheel at all

Anyway, some thinks it's somehow bugged; IMO it's not bugged; it's will never be added because Cayo Perico is too profitable for players already and Kike Zelnick won't get enough profits
Classic Saints Row absolutely would "fly in today's environment", provided that the people developing and publishing it are capable of understanding that people who screech about woke nonsense on twitter are not their audience
What if I tell you the devs are screechers themselves, and discard everyone else as uneducated

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net
No, it's out of RNG wheel at all

Anyway, some thinks it's somehow bugged; IMO it's not bugged; it's will never be added because Cayo Perico is too profitable for players already and Kike Zelnick won't get enough profits

What if I tell you the devs are screechers themselves, and discard everyone else as uneducated
nigger post cayo perico there was a event which upped the panther rate, the thing is that panther is grinderfaggotry, you need to scope the island and if you don't get panther you have to cancel the heist and try again.

and on the SR, deep silver and volition are kind of like running with scissors minus their pure chadness.

Fuck Y'all

kiwifarms.net
nigger post cayo perico there was a event which upped the panther rate, the thing is that panther is grinderfaggotry, you need to scope the island and if you don't get panther you have to cancel the heist and try again.
Post proof or you are faggot and bootlicker