Graphics cards box art hall of shame (and fame!) -

(not) y2k compliant

kiwifarms.net
I always loved graphics card boxes. Even at the time they were current I still found them baffling. I mean, look at this cool ass frog, why the fuck is he a cyborg frog? No way the 9600 GT could even push those polygons, that shit is prerendered.
frogmech2.0.jpg

But I always did enjoy the over the top sinister look of the Voodoo 3 boxes. Had a one of these for the 2000 PCI version laying around for years.
unnamed.jpg

TheShedCollector

kiwifarms.net
box.jpg

I had a 9800 pro back in the day. The single worst graphics card I've ever owned. It never once worked a full day without crashing. It lasted 2 months before I could afford to replace it. Worthless piece of shit. But the box was at least quality :biggrin:

Irrelevant

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1403296
I had a 9800 pro back in the day. The single worst graphics card I've ever owned. It never once worked a full day without crashing. It lasted 2 months before I could afford to replace it. Worthless piece of shit. But the box was at least quality :biggrin:
Wasn't this the ATI generation that had some many cards fail QA they would repurpose them as 9500s and if you were lucky you could flash your 9500 to an 9800 and it'd work at full speed?

Last edited:

(not) y2k compliant

kiwifarms.net
All modern GPU box art belongs in the hall of shame. It's so dull.
View attachment 1403463
Bring back the tacky box art. It's funnier.
I think part of the reason that boxes don't have crazy prerendered art anymore on them is that you just don't simply buy videocards from brick and mortar stores anymore, there is no need to visually stand out with your box since 99% of people buy computer parts online.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't this the ATI generation that had some many cards fail QA they would repurpose them as 9500s and if you were lucky you could flash your 9500 to an 9800 and it'd work at full speed?
That was the hack that turned a cheap graphics card into the 9700 PRO which was the fastest card on the market. Good times.

I think these two are influenced by Creative's Voodoo 2 box which I feel was pushed harder than any other brand at the time and is pretty nostalgic for me even though I owned a different brand.

View attachment 1402961
Creative showed restraint with their Geforce 256 card.
grophics 41A4718HF9L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Diamond was the main competition with Orchid on the first 3dfx cards and they had a similar style, but it was in 96/97 before the really weird stuff like Evil Commando became common. I don't really remember why Orchid was considered the best Voodoo 1 card.
grophics orchid.jpg

Matrox was relatively early with awful box art. (notice how the card have no display output)
grophics boxed-matrox-m3d-powervr-pcx2_1_fa5fee6cc577060bdff96976f2e11484.jpg

One of my favorites just because of its name:
grophics number_nine_revolution3d_box_f.jpg

It's hard to read but the 9 T2R in the upper left is part of the name, the full name is "Number 9 Ticket 2 Ride Revolution 3D" and it used a graphics chip designed by Number 9. There were so many graphics chips back then. John Carmack wrote the OpenGL wrapper for Quake and let the developers themselves develop drivers for it instead of supporting all the weird APIs that were around at the time. To compare it with another game, Unreal 1 shipped with 4 selectable APIs, Direct3D was not one of them and I think OpenGL was patched in shortly thereafter and didn't work right for a long time, or maybe it was the other way around. Point is, things were pretty weird.
When Unreal launched the selectable APIs were 3dfx, S3 Metal, PowerVR SGL, maybe Rendition/Vérité or something and the insanely impressive software rendering.

Direct3D was complete garbage at the time, for a while S3 was the king of Direct3D benchmarks because driver support for the mess that was D3D 6 was so shitty that no one supported dual textures(sampling and combining two texels, like a texture and a lightmap, at the same time, doubling performance) and S3 had a relatively fast single texture card making them the fastest one legged sprinter for a hot minute.

From the back of the Number 9 box, something you don't see these days.
grophics number_nine_revolution3d_box_r.jpg

Tags
None