Science Greta Thunberg Megathread - 16 year old climate and environmental activist with Asperger’s

AltisticRight

Matt Jarbo is not the father.
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna repost and edit a small essay, the response was made in the Ralph thread. It's seems far more relevant to post here. There's also some sources to read and I'll edit out the autistic ramblings.

When the left and the right climate alarmists attempt to pinpoint "climate change" on a specific race or nation, it is beyond laughable and shows their statistical illiteracy. People don't seem to understand that emissions can be calculated in both per capita, totality yearly, and cumulatively over the span of several years. Nevertheless, USA does come out at near the top in all three categories, and indeed tops it when it comes to cumulative emissions, surpassing both China and India.

This means that the USA is over-represented in per capita emissions (#18), cumulative (#1) and thereby totality (#2). For a nation with so little people compared to China or India, the US is taking a massive lead. Now, imagine the USA with a population half of China or India, it doesn't take a math degree to figure out.

The reason why the USA isn't like China or India, suffering from heavy pollution and smog issues is rather simple. Land mass and population. 10 people crammed in one room will produce more emissions than one person in one room. China and the USA are very similar when it comes to land size, but China has more than 4 times more people. This takes a significant toll on the environment. This is why despite heavy emissions, USA has quite a nice environment. Obviously, there's also many other reasons, since China only recently banned people from burning electronic waste to extract gold, which isn't a popular practice in the USA.

More people means more pollution, larger land means less pollution. Australia is a massive country with the population of Shanghai, which gives us a nice environment. When this Thunberg kid tries to claim the air in Sweden is sweeter, she's obviously lying. She's essentially a media tool, I'm sure most can agree here. To halt airlines is also beyond exceptional, might as well argue for a genocide.

While it is true that the USA is basically a massive polluter, and thanks to having so few people, the environment isn't as bad as China. This however doesn't mean that the USA should take all the blame. In fact, there's a lot of redeeming qualities despite Trumps withdrawal from that whatever climate committee thing. One doesn't need to be in a committee to combat high emissions.

Common contenders:
1. Whitey: While it is true that white countries contribute a lot of emissions per capita and cumulatively, white countries also feature neighbourhoods far spread apart, making travel with a car necessary. Also, most countries such as America are yet to embrace faster forms of transport, how are you going to let people live if you environmentalists deny them car ownership? How would they shop? For example, there's lots of very spread apart gentrified small neighbourhoods that surround a larger one where all the shops really are in Australia (ie Tamworth and surroundings, Wagga Wagga and surroundings). People from theses areas need to do their shopping once a week or so like any normal family, and how exactly are they going to travel that 100+km round trip without a car? Buses are unreliable and the demand for buses is so low, that it will only run once every two hours or so.

The thing about not having kids is simply exceptional. How about nuking and genocide? That solves the problem too right? To deny the fundamental pillars of sentient beings which is procreate, how can anyone argue for that? I've really only heard hardcore environmentalists and actual Nazis argue about forced castrations. China also has a one child, now two child policy, it's not new.

2. India and China: India and China contribute a lot to emissions, totality they are at third and first respectively (USA is second, actually). China has a ton of smog and India is about to catch up. Per capita, the two counties are at 131 and 44 no where near any western country. The two nations have a massive population, so they produce more waste and emissions. It's also very rich when right wingers try to blame China or India for their emissions. China, Thailand, Taiwan, Korea and India consumes 99% of the world's electronic waste. Quite rich for the rest of the world which basically treats these countries as their dumpsters to then point the fingers at them. This is especially bad in countries such as China and SEA where they burn these electronics to extract the pathetic amount of gold. It's now outlawed in China, I don't know about SEA.

When it comes to renewable energy, China and US are the frontiers. One comes first and the other is in top 3 in almost all categories. China and the states are doing incredibly well in renewable coverage and investment. The lefties and right wingers who loves to point fingers around knows nothinh about what they are talking about.

It's incredibly clear which countries are taking the lead.

That massive dam in China despite costing astronomical figures and invoking a literal wildlife genocide is doing wonders.
1.jpg

USA and China leading the rest of the world in wind energy. Where's Sweden, little Thunberg?
2.jpg

Once again, the two countries that lead in solar are without a surprise, China and the USA.
3.jpg

USA leading the world in geothermal energy, something that China has yet to truly invest in.
4.jpg

China does have the geothermal potential.
geo.png
geoo.jpg

The ones that want to point to Latin America are a joke. While not contributing much emissions both per capita and in totality, they actually invest a lot of their capital into renewable sources, as scarce as it actually is. It's pretty safe to say it at this point. When someone wants to blame Mexico for emissions, they are either legitimately dumb, simply dislike the country, or both.
money.jpg

This then begs the question, neither America nor Europe, nor China nor India are on the top when it comes to per capita, so who tops the list?
View attachment 993879

See a trend here? Where's China and India, the two that consistently pop up here and in many other discussions? The top spots are occupied by countries which probably some either never heard of or know as extremely oil rich Muslim theocracies. What have they done in renewables? They live in deserts where the sun and wind can be exploited, yet they've done nothing significant to get on any list I can find.

It's true that countries with the most total emissions can have a greater impact when reducing it, which only a fool will say that China and the States aren't doing enough. The USA does indeed come out as overrepresented in both per capita and totality, but the USA also comes out on the top when it comes to investment and coverage of renewables.

What about asking countries such as Qatar and UAE, instead of building yet another skyscraper for swagger, maybe put that money into solar and wind farms? India, China, and the US have been doing incredibly well. People on the left and the right trying to level blame towards countries they no doubt simply dislike does not solve the problem. Maybe it's time to ask these oil rich countries to do something? They are in deserts that are incredibly hot, so decreasing the use of air conditioning etc isn't going to work, how about use that sun and build some solar farms?

Instead of playing the blame game and whine at [insert country I dislike here] for "not doing enough", look at the data and deduce the ones that are putting out a lot and not doing enough. It's not like Qatar and the UAE are impoverished dumps, they are simply not allocating resources to renewables to actually make a significance. China, USA, India, and Europe, all 4 being polluters are also generators.

The reason why I usually brush off people blaming China or USA when a country is brought up as "you just dislike the country" is because with little research, anyone can see that both are doing a lot. Stop being emotion filled children, read graphs and embrace autism. Put the blame on the ones that deserve it.

Sources:

Broadwing

kiwifarms.net
Hoooooboy. I've never stepped in this particular minefield on this site, but it's worth noting that during the 2011 Durban conference the message from the developing world and especially China and India was crystal clear: Fuck you, it's our turn to pollute, go cripple your economy so we can take over. Nothing racial about it, just people who've seen the 'green revolution' as industrial suicide and know what's up. I've been saying ever since then that the path forward is just to prepare for the worst of climate change, the West could cut their emissions to zero and the BRICs will just see it as more emissions to use.

Hell, the preparations for coastal flooding will employ a lot of folks. It's like Zorg's broken glass speech, but you do it before the glass breaks.

You've got some points, but blaming China's horrible air quality on density alone is wacko. Like coastal California, they have some geographic challenges to clean air, but unlike them they give zero fucks about doing anything about it. Until people get uppity, that is, then they shut down a few plants and execute the managers until people are placated. Both these points get back to the same thing: People like the environment, but when push comes to shove they're not even going to slightly risk becoming jobless hobos to fix it.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I suspect they also practice the old mantra "do as I said, not as I do".
I agree especially in regards to the parents but I think Greta is probally just too autistic to have though that through (Autistic people taking far longer to mature/think more rationally than a normal person), like the backround to how it started was she started to refuse to go to school because she had what seems to be a mental breakdown when her parents kept scaring her about what's going to happen to the enviroment which would be ridiculous for most people at 15 but with autism it doesn't suprise me and then her parents being who they are were all for their daughter to drop out of school and travel round the world protesting the environment arranged by them.

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Hoooooboy. I've never stepped in this particular minefield on this site, but it's worth noting that during the 2011 Durban conference the message from the developing world and especially China and India was crystal clear: Fuck you, it's our turn to pollute, go cripple your economy so we can take over. Nothing racial about it, just people who've seen the 'green revolution' as industrial suicide and know what's up. I've been saying ever since then that the path forward is just to prepare for the worst of climate change, the West could cut their emissions to zero and the BRICs will just see it as more emissions to use.

Hell, the preparations for coastal flooding will employ a lot of folks. It's like Zorg's broken glass speech, but you do it before the glass breaks.

You've got some points, but blaming China's horrible air quality on density alone is wacko. Like coastal California, they have some geographic challenges to clean air, but unlike them they give zero fucks about doing anything about it. Until people get uppity, that is, then they shut down a few plants and execute the managers until people are placated. Both these points get back to the same thing: People like the environment, but when push comes to shove they're not even going to slightly risk becoming jobless hobos to fix it.
Don't forget that source on "renewable energy". Take a read through it. Huh, seems to miss a big one. One that starts with the letter "N". I wonder why that is.

kūhaku

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
kiwifarms.net
Breeder reactors can easily be considered renewable, not to mention recycling waste, but it's all a technicality. We know why these sources that hype wind and solar really leave out nuclear.
Some reactors, not sure if they're breeder or not, do have the capacity to make their own fuel once the cycle is catalyzed and produce insignificant waste. I haven't researched this in a while but I remember some used thorium. Nuclear energy is based.

Yotsubaaa

Hope always wins!
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna repost and edit a small essay, the response was made in the Ralph thread. It's seems far more relevant to post here. There's also some sources to read and I'll edit out the autistic ramblings.
A 772 word essay in the Ralph thread vs. a twice as long, 1,359 word essay here. You promised! :mad:
I liked your take on it though, nice job with the research. That's a very interesting point about Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

However, one point I'd like to check. Is that list of countries you attached still recent enough for us to draw conclusions? It lists the Netherlands Antilles as number 5, but back in 2010,
(https://archive.li/jA01o)

It's not just about raw energy, but about the processes its being used for. All the tech that goes into modern computers are made using incredibly dirty industrial processes. The processes we use in sewage and waste management are destructive to the environment (though it has been making great improvements). I despise environmentalists and climate changers because they're 80% correct and 20% batshit and people only ever remember the batshit and disqualify any valid concern because it's been tainted with batshit.

I wonder if there is a conservationist party.

• Agree
Reactions: Sīn the Moon Daddy

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It's not just about raw energy, but about the processes its being used for. All the tech that goes into modern computers are made using incredibly dirty industrial processes. The processes we use in sewage and waste management are destructive to the environment (though it has been making great improvements). I despise environmentalists and climate changers because they're 80% correct and 20% batshit and people only ever remember the batshit and disqualify any valid concern because it's been tainted with batshit.
They also have idiot batshit obsessions with things like GMOs that get them to push idiotic and sometimes even deadly policies. Like golden rice, a rice engineered to have vitamin A, literally can wipe out childhood blindness from vitamin A deficiency and hundreds of thousands of deaths on top of that, but they're against it because "muh GMO frankenfood" lunacy.

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
They also have idiot batshit obsessions with things like GMOs that get them to push idiotic and sometimes even deadly policies. Like golden rice, a rice engineered to have vitamin A, literally can wipe out childhood blindness from vitamin A deficiency and hundreds of thousands of deaths on top of that, but they're against it because "muh GMO frankenfood" lunacy.
It makes it all too easy to just ignore enviromentalists. You find yourself nodding along at the start, then before you know you it you're like "Wait, what the fuck was that?" and it goes downhill from there.

I can understand why someone would be cautious and critical of any and all GMO's, just as much as I can understand why someone would be cautious and critical of any and all Nuclear Power or Alternative Energy Sources. There is no one perfect solution, we need to be constantly adapting and restructuring to meet the ever changing needs of our lives. An "environmentalist" isn't skeptical of GMO's because it may have an unintended side-effect (see: Africanized Honey Bees), but because it's "disturbing mother nature and that's bad!"

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
Environmentalists have a habit of torpedoing "Better" ideas becasue they aren't "perfect", and pitching impossible "perfect" ideas as workable solutions -

Look at the GND, cleaner burning coal? Boo! Cleaner burning car engines? No way! Absolute ban on all CO2 emissions including all power plants and cars? YES!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino