Guitar and Bass Discussion - Sperg about players that inspire you, gear, share your experiences, etc.

Nekromantik

I was phone!
kiwifarms.net
I've been playing for a few years and sometimes mine still do if I'm doing too much bending. That might just be me, though, as plenty of people never mention that. You just need to build up some callouses.
Yeah that's what my husband say, he's played for about 20 years. My guitar is an Epiphone. I think its good for someone just starting out.

The Shadow

Movies gave me scabies
kiwifarms.net
How do people do barre chords like this? I am a beginner, and I just can't reach it with my fingers (:_(Also my hand begins to hurt when I hold barre chords for too long.
It's a lot like working out. You're building skill, manual dexterity and finger strength in playing guitar. So it might seem hard at first, but over time you'll work up to it and it'll feel a lot more natural. Just keep at it and when you master one thing, challenge yourself with something new.

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah that's what my husband say, he's played for about 20 years. My guitar is an Epiphone. I think its good for someone just starting out.
Epiphones, like Squiers, can be really great for the money. If you're more experienced, they're great for modding up with new pickups, tuners, and so on.
Mind if I ask what kind yours is, and if you have a picture of the model?

How do people do barre chords like this? I am a beginner, and I just can't reach it with my fingers (:_(Also my hand begins to hurt when I hold barre chords for too long.
I'm not really that good at the classic jazz and cowboy chords, honestly, but that one doesn't look too bad if you have a regular guitar and not a classical one. Classical guitars have a wider neck, meaning people with small girly/baby hands like me have a harder time playing them. At least in my experience. Remember that plenty of barre chords actually have you barre all the strings. This one doesn't look too bad, but I will admit that certain chords do feel really uncomfortable and are almost impossible to switch between. Maybe that's just me, as I haven't really practiced them, though.

Strong_mad

kiwifarms.net
I tend to lazily double barre that shit. Top 3rd of my pinky fits clean across 2 3 and 4 on most guitars. If anybody gives you crap about accidentally muting the high E, just slap em

Nekromantik

I was phone!
kiwifarms.net
Epiphones, like Squiers, can be really great for the money. If you're more experienced, they're great for modding up with new pickups, tuners, and so on.
Mind if I ask what kind yours is, and if you have a picture of the model?
It's a Special. Looks like this right here.
31-201392193744_540x360.jpg

Yeah, husband wants help me mod it when I get better like his Les Paul Special II. He has another guitar and a bass. I'll ask him what they are, he's has more experience than me.

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a Special. Looks like this right here.
View attachment 435148

Yeah, husband wants help me mod it when I get better like his Les Paul Special II. He has another guitar and a bass. I'll ask him what they are, he's has more experience than me.
Nice! Looks a lot like a Les Paul Studio. I've never been into Les Pauls without the binding, but that's just me. I'm also more of a Fender jaguar and Jackson dinky/soloist kind of guy, though. Thinner necks are more what I'm into.

Nekromantik

I was phone!
kiwifarms.net
Nice! Looks a lot like a Les Paul Studio. I've never been into Les Pauls without the binding, but that's just me. I'm also more of a Fender jaguar and Jackson dinky/soloist kind of guy, though. Thinner necks are more what I'm into.
Mr. Nekro's other guitar is a Jackson. He likes thinner necks because of small hands. I find I'm more comfortable on my guitar because of my large hands. His bass it a Goplus. We use guitar Rig 5 on our computer to play.

The Shadow

Movies gave me scabies
kiwifarms.net
Mr. Nekro's other guitar is a Jackson. He likes thinner necks because of small hands. I find I'm more comfortable on my guitar because of my large hands. His bass it a Goplus. We use guitar Rig 5 on our computer to play.
Thinner necks are beloved by a great many guitarists, not just people with small hands. I think I got this coming from bass to guitar- I came close to buying one of Epiphone's Thunderbird basses but it had a neck like a baseball bat and I didn't care for it. I've gone to the same preference with guitars. Gretsch guitars and Fender Telecasters are what I like most, generally.

• Informative
Reactions: Nekromantik

Mesh Gear Fox

Play the guitar on the MTV
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been playing now for 25 years. In that time, I've owned several Les Paul Standards . I just love LPs, the first time I played one I knew instantly it was the one for me. They feel just right and the tone is awesome. My pedal board consists of various Boss and MXR pedals, all analog except for a Boss digital delay 6. I use an amp modeler, Amplitube 4 (fantastic!). I also took up bass a few years ago. I currently play a 5 string Fender Jazz Bass that has active pups. I'm primarily a finger style player, I just enjoy that tactile connection with my instrument, though you can never build thick enough callouses (esp using roundwound strings)!

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ll say something controversial here: Fender Jaguars and Jazzmasters are better than Stratocasters and Telecasters. Namely if they don’t have the shitty bridge the old ones came with.

Thinner necks are beloved by a great many guitarists, not just people with small hands. I think I got this coming from bass to guitar- I came close to buying one of Epiphone's Thunderbird basses but it had a neck like a baseball bat and I didn't care for it. I've gone to the same preference with guitars. Gretsch guitars and Fender Telecasters are what I like most, generally.
Yeah. Steve Vai has huge hands and loves the Ibanez wizard neck, which is a bit thin even for me. I’ve found myself loving Jackson super strats a lot because the neck is neither too thick nor too thin. It’s like a cross between a shreddy neck and a standard Fender neck.

Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Joey Caruso

The Coathanger In Your Man's Vagina
kiwifarms.net
It's all a matter of practice, but there's a trick to it in that your barre finger only has to hold down the strings that aren't being held down elsewhere. This can only take you so far with chords like F#m, but for Bb it should work fine as long as you're holding the A and high E strings with your index finger.

Of course, if you're still flummoxed by barre chords after long enough you could just say "fuck it" and be some kind of punk playing nothing but power chords all the time.

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone here have any experience with Sunn amps? I’ve heard great things about them, and what I’ve heard sounds killer. Even their solid state stuff sounds better than plenty of tube amps I’ve tried.

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net
I played first string violin until I heard dazed and confused, switch to six string, but I really love bass.

And that's my story.

Shaftie

one small heart beat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only learned some guitar through rocksmith, and the arcade stuff is perfect for practice motivation.

Also it turns out Snake eater is a pretty simple song to learn.

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
I only learned some guitar through rocksmith, and the arcade stuff is perfect for practice motivation.

Also it turns out Snake eater is a pretty simple song to learn.

CDLC is the way to go. Sure some CDLC isn't great but it's still interesting to learn some chords. I play Rocksmith with bass. I still suck after a year or so of playing.

Tags
None