Guitar and Bass Discussion - Sperg about players that inspire you, gear, share your experiences, etc.

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
Just snagged this beauty

'06
Made In Japan
all stock hardware
not a single ding or scratch

View attachment 3414071
Japanese made guitars are excellent. In the late 90's to early 2000's they were an absolute steal. No one really wanted them and it wasn't uncommon to find a Japanese made Jackson, Ibanez, Charvel for under $300. Not so common anymore unfortunately.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Opinions on Electra Guitars?
I've heard the effects kinda suck, but the guitar quality is good.

The guitars had a spike in interest up until 3 mo ago, prices have been dropping lately.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
Opinions on Electra Guitars?
I've heard the effects kinda suck, but the guitar quality is good.

The guitars had a spike in interest up until 3 mo ago, prices have been dropping lately.
70s ones were great guitars. They were originally just copies but later focused on electronic options and effects to separate themselves from the other brands. Electronics not being for most peoples taste, they had awesome build quality.

Honk Hill

No, you are not tripping. That is an emu.
kiwifarms.net
$250, and he included a bunch of cables and other accessories. The guy even met me half way so I didn't have to drive the 50 miles to his house. Pretty much impossible to say no to that deal.

That's pretty cool, they retail for around $550 aud, so sounds like a decent price in burger bux I wouldn't bother with gear that far away unless someone living rural was willing to drive to the city.

Let us know how the bypass buffer does when you load it up with pedals. One of my electrician muso friends is full aspie about how true bypass pedals aren't ever really true bypass.

My idea was to drill some holes on the lip on this old wooden serving platter thats about 70cm x 30cm and put a 10mm nut so I can screw in those adjustable furniture legs and height adjust the back and Honk rig the power supply with a daisy chain cable.
I've also seen some 3D printed modular ones I might get a mate to print 3 or 4 for me.

Seeing all these pointy oddly shaped axes makes me wonder if there's any love for full hollowbodies. I've got an Ibanez AF75. Not the highest end of "jazzboxes" but it nicely appointed, looks great and plays great.

Am a bit jazztarded, only have a semi hollow thinline TC atm, really regret not picking up an Epiphone Dot Studio in that natural mahogany satin for really cheap during lockdowns.

This is an Aria Pro II TA-60 in a local store that wants my money like a Jewish merchant.
1655959064799.png

Its hard to find point guitars mint when they usually get the corners whacked off within the first week.

Some of the high end USA made Jacksons king v's and rhoads, soloists will have some cosmetic damage and still fetch insane prices.
I think every Jackson owner has mistaken his guitar for a spear at some stage.

Japanese made guitars are excellent. In the late 90's to early 2000's they were an absolute steal. No one really wanted them and it wasn't uncommon to find a Japanese made Jackson, Ibanez, Charvel for under $300. Not so common anymore unfortunately.

Yep everyone back then was fucking cooked over USA made gear.
My oldest guitar I've had over 30 years and never offloaded is a late 80's Japanese Jackson PS1. I got it off an older dude who had bought it new and it had been under his bed since he entered the inevitable fusion jazz snob phase and if I recall correctly he had a Parker Fly, paid like $300 for it with a case. That was like 92 or 93. Still has the OG Jackson pickups, have only ever needed to replace the 5 way toggle and had the fretboard pampered with lemon oil. Have it setup in C standard with like .13's for stoner/doom and some blues and jazz in a darker tone/lower tuning.

K-Hole

kiwifarms.net
Just snagged this beauty

'06
Made In Japan
all stock hardware
not a single ding or scratch

View attachment 3414071

Nice, might be a bit top-heavy (I've got one similar), but guitars like this are made to be played and played live so you probably won't be sitting down much when using it. It's a looker for sure!

Seeing all these pointy oddly shaped axes makes me wonder if there's any love for full hollowbodies. I've got an Ibanez AF75. Not the highest end of "jazzboxes" but it nicely appointed, looks great and plays great.

I've got a single 335 style guitar and I love it. If I didn't have so many I'd probably get another one. Ibanez make nice guitars. I had an acoustic from them same colour as yours and it also had a pointy head stock like the Jacksons/Charvels. Didn't like staying in tune, suprise suprise!

Its hard to find point guitars mint when they usually get the corners whacked off within the first week.

I had a Charvel with the classic Jackson/Charvel headstock. Nice guitar in every aspect, but guess what? Didn't like staying in tune either. I know there are workarounds and setups you can do, but you'll always be up against it if you don't have a lock nut. Obviously didn't have one on my Ibanez acoustic, and just had an ordinary trem on my Charvel. I should have kept that Charvel and put something like a Kahler on it if possible. I can't really get my head around Floyd-Rose types.

Now Jap guitars are the quality guitars they always (usually) were, but now you get to pay the quality prices too (usually).

I've got a couple from Japan bought very very cheap on Amazon, and the reason they are so cheap is because they are so badly setup they might as well be rejects. But you don't just put a guitar like that in the bin, you drop the price, then drop the price then when you can't sell it because you're selling it in a shop (and people get to play them and see how bad they actually are), then you auction them off to people who try their luck on Amazon.

You can't sell them for too much, because people expect a certain quality even at the lower prices these days. So if you are paying even 150 bucks for a guitar, you expect it to not be a fucking reject!

And this is where you can pick up some quality guitars, Japanese made for even as low as a 100 bucks. I did a couple of times. You know where the guitars are made because of their serial numbers, besides they still have the original hand-written price tag on them in Japanese.

300 bucks.

200 bucks.

100 bucks.

Fuck it.

Now some of them are real dogs, but you won't usually get an out and out reject. But you may get one that has a poorly cut nut, wrong intonation, bad strings and overly high/under string action. With a bit of knowledge you can turn a right stinker in to a highly playable guitar in just half an hour! And these guitars are the very kind of guitars you want to be practicing your luthiery skill on, not your favorite and bestest guitar that is of great sentimental value to you. Get some basic skills in before hand. Don't be a mug and pay what some people charge for a basic setup that can be done in 20 minutes.

You don't even need expensive tools from Stew Mac or wtf. Just basic stuff will get you by. Buy better stuff when your skills get better. For the same price as a 100 bucks guitar you can put together a nice little tool kit to work on those little horrors. Loads of vids on the net. Too many to mention. Pretty soon you'll be tackling fretwork and doing a bit of 'dressing'. People pay hundreds of bucks for that little skill alone. But then again, if someone is working on your prized 2000 bucks stratocaster then you want to make sure they won't fuck it right up. Bits of wood can snap off and any little ding to your baby is not acceptable.

Doing proper fretwork you need a proper space. You need proper tools. I'm not talking about that here, I'm just saying that with a few youtube vidz you should be able to level the odd errant fret here or there. It's basic logic and maths and physics. Armed with just a little knowledge you will start from correct first principles. Things like when you adjust the Truss rod, exactly why are doing it, what do you hope to achieve, what is the correct 'shape' for most kinds of guitars. Answer, it's slightly (ever so slightly) bowed concavely at the center of the neck. So you will be able to 'sight' a guitar along its neck in a shop and get an idea of what kind of shape it's in. You rarely want one that is dead straight. But even that is better than having one slightly convex. Your whole setup will be wrong if you start from that point. So that is why most luthiers check the truss rod to start with, then work out.

Anyway, I'm not a luthier. I'm just someone that can decide on a whim to change my string gauge and from there set everything up to play nice in whatever kind of action I decide on. Some times I like it high, some times I like it low, sometimes I like it inbetween. It's amazing how much you can alter the 'feel' of a guitar just by doing that. Some guitars like to be high, some low... but most have a certain amount of play that you can experiment with.

When you get to the optimum level, you will just know, and that will be that for that guitar. You probably wouldn't want to sell it either. Even if it's an el cheapo.

Why would you want to do that? Well, you might decide you want to tackle blues slide playing with a 'bottle'. So you need the action a little higher, strings a little heavier, you might need to cut another nut. Or reverse that process. You might decide you hate playing with a blues bottle so you want to revert your guitar to something you will shred with, so super low action. etc. etc.

The worst guitar I've ever had I knocked in to shape in relatively quick time. That was one of those Amazon dogs from Japan. Many such cases. Not so bad! The paintwork and electronics on it are superb. It looks a bit like a Yamaha Pacifica (very nice guitars btw) - kind of a super strat type of thing.

The idea with this process and why I've explained it a little bit is just to show that you don't need much money to buy a very very nice guitar, as long as you can do a bit of 'work'. Just don't be scared. Be patient, but don't be afraid to get stuck in. It's hard to fuck up really as long as you are sensible. Buy the cheapest guitar you can find to start. It's hard to beat ebay really. Then work up from there. Get them working good then sell them for at least what you paid for them. I mean, these guitars are so cheap you'd be giving them away if you dropped the price. Even if you lose a few bucks here or there, put it down to experience. You'll soon be making a few bucks on top of what you paid for them, and you can keep the ones you really fall in love with.

There's a great feeling to be had when you take a real shitty guitar and turn it in to something special. I'm not talking about adding expensive pups and all that other wankery. But bringing out its lines, its contours in its playing. From there you can put on Gold plated machine heads if it takes your fancy. But be warned, that kind of shit does not add value to your plank when you go to sell it!

Guitar maintenance and basic luthiery can be done by anyone looking for a relaxing hobby, it can even earn you a couple of bucks here or there. Soon you'll be the go to guy in your corner of town, and should little suzy end up getting a dog of a guitar herself (it was either that or a fucking pony) then daddy or mumsy are usually quite willing to spend an extra few bucks just to make the fucking thing playable.

Coz that's the thing, even Fenders and Gibsons out of the factories can be dogs as well. Hell, they're all made in the same factories anyway. Half the time it's the same guitar just re-branded. Paying a thousand bucks for a guitar does not ensure it will play sweet right out of the box. If it's a mid range guitar (less than a few thousand bucks) then don't even expect the wiring to work proplerly without cutting out at the jack or just general rattle and hum.

And then you need to buy your first soldering iron. Learn how to solder. Not expensive and when set up you can start to do more serious guitar repairs. I paid a shop once nearly 40 fucking bucks just to solder a loose jack. I'm a twat of course and extremely lazy - if I wasn't I would have bought a fucking soldering station myself. It would have paid for itselt ten times over with just a few little jobs here or there. And that's the thing - you can use these tools for other tasks as well.

What was the best part of paying nearly 50 bucks for someone to solder a jack for me. Honestly? Ok, I would have to say the best fucking part was IT STILL DID NOT FUCKING WORK AFTER TAKING THE CUNT BACK AGAIN. Many such cases. Sad.

Next you'll be buying a cheap mulitimeter from ching chong and looking up 'how do i use a chingchong meter?' on youtube. If you're not totally clueless you might even figure it out.

Oh, and another good way to practice your skills is to buy a kit from Thomann or something. Buy a strat or a tele and put it together. You don't even need to fuck about too much with painting it as you can use it to practice staining wood. If you get in to painting you need protective stuff and really need to prep properly but even that can be done. A decent kit that will give you a passable strat or tele will set you back way less than 100 bucks, especially if you buy second hand. When you go low, you go low! People buy them, change their mind and get rid of them for 50 bucks. Saw a video on youtube the other day of someone who did just that. Now he's getting all his subs to tell what colour to paint it. Got to get them comments in! You too could be a youtube guitar channel superstar.

I'll shut the fuckety fuck up now thank you very much.

But boy oh boy could I tell you stories about serious internet drama between these channels. Betrayal, envy, alcoholism, racism with people unironically using the ""N"" word, threats, phoney fucking lies - it's got it all. People goading others on to suicide. Some accepting the challenge.

Yeah, I guess us farmers are weirdos for sure, but believe me, the normies out there in normie land are ten times fucking weirder...at least we have the excuse of atypical autism.

[Didn't mean to write a blog post, but it helped me kill some time I needed to kill right now]

Honk Hill

kiwifarms.net
So some Asian dude who is also selling DJ gear has a pair of KRK Rokit 5's Classics and has stated that one keeps powering off, I am pretty sure it's the auto standby that is triggered by the interface on windows usb power to selective suspend, can lowball this dude and tell him they are fucked and pick up an entry level pleb tier set of monitors for like 50-100 bucks.

Should I do it reddit?

GloryHole Stalker

kiwifarms.net
Got one too. It's dope.
I love this fucking thing. Since I was a much younger glory hole stalker I wanted this type of guitar after seeing and hearing Elvis Presley whale on Scotty Moore's Gibson Super 400 in his 68 comeback special. Unfortunately, unless I rob a bank or make a killing selling meth to the local population (probably could in my area) I'm never gonna afford one of those. However I was in the market for a low priced axe last year and came across the Ibanez and figured it was worth a shot. I can't believe these go for such an inexpensive price (well I can after reading the wood types they make them from these days) but it's an absolute steal. Their QC seems to be on point, and I only had to make minor adjustments from the factory setup. Having a guitar I can't wait to pick up and play has been a boon to my practice/playing.

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
So some Asian dude who is also selling DJ gear has a pair of KRK Rokit 5's Classics and has stated that one keeps powering off, I am pretty sure it's the auto standby that is triggered by the interface on windows usb power to selective suspend, can lowball this dude and tell him they are fucked and pick up an entry level pleb tier set of monitors for like 50-100 bucks.

Should I do it reddit?
If you're feeling lucky I'd say go for it. My local CL usually has a number of monitors available at any given time. You could always wait for a great deal on a pair of monitors that are known to be good.

My idea was to drill some holes on the lip on this old wooden serving platter thats about 70cm x 30cm and put a 10mm nut so I can screw in those adjustable furniture legs and height adjust the back and Honk rig the power supply with a daisy chain cable.
I've also seen some 3D printed modular ones I might get a mate to print 3 or 4 for me.
Those daisy chains aren't usually the greatest. They can create a lot of unwanted noise. Isolated power supplies can be found cheap if you're patient enough.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I love this fucking thing. Since I was a much younger glory hole stalker I wanted this type of guitar after seeing and hearing Elvis Presley whale on Scotty Moore's Gibson Super 400 in his 68 comeback special. Unfortunately, unless I rob a bank or make a killing selling meth to the local population (probably could in my area) I'm never gonna afford one of those. However I was in the market for a low priced axe last year and came across the Ibanez and figured it was worth a shot. I can't believe these go for such an inexpensive price (well I can after reading the wood types they make them from these days) but it's an absolute steal. Their QC seems to be on point, and I only had to make minor adjustments from the factory setup. Having a guitar I can't wait to pick up and play has been a boon to my practice/playing.
It's an awesome guitar.

I got a question - does the floating bridge position have an effect on intonation?
Is there an ideal location for the bridge?
I removed the foam under the feet - and did a complete setup, but I'm always nervous setting the bridge.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net

Should I do it reddit?
1) Do it

2) Post the links or the .stl files for the 3d printing.

...In fact

I will start posting .stl files for guitar stuff here.

|I.nfo_N.eutral_A.gency|

Reformed Schizo Sperg, Wanted by Interpol
kiwifarms.net
I'm new to the thread, but I have been looking into the Godin Sd24 (24 refers to the fret amount). I heard from many people online that they play and are built well but look ugly. The Sd and Sdxt line was made in the 90s to the late 2000s. Handcrafted in Canada and made in the USA, it seems like something that looks like another imported guitar. It's a weird combo between a Les Paul and Strat. Consider getting one but modifying it to have new tech and pickups. Here's an example. Looks like some weird 80s pawn shop guitar like Peavey. Do any of you recommend this?
Goddamn.png

GloryHole Stalker

kiwifarms.net
It's an awesome guitar.

I got a question - does the floating bridge position have an effect on intonation?
Is there an ideal location for the bridge?
I removed the foam under the feet - and did a complete setup, but I'm always nervous setting the bridge.
Yes it does, at least if it gets moved out of position after it is set up, it'll fuck up the intonation completely. I imagine there is some leeway for positioning, but any changes you make will then require a re-intonation. There seems to be some kind of measurements you can use for that (I ain't got time fo' dat, you can find it on the internetz though). Since I have the guitar intonated and set up by the bridge position as I received it (I'm taking a leap of faith that the Indonesian ladyboi that set up my guitar wasn't high or drunk or dilating while doing it), the easiest way to keep things consistent would be to use post it notes and stick those at the bridge edges you want to mark off before removing it.

I was nervous about that too, lol, but the post it note trick works like a charm. I guess you could look up the "ideal" position for the bridge as far as measurement goes, but from what I see from online pics and vids, having the bridge positioned at about the center point of both F holes seems to be where it needs to be.

Edit: verbage

Last edited:

Honk Hill

kiwifarms.net
If you're feeling lucky I'd say go for it. My local CL usually has a number of monitors available at any given time. You could always wait for a great deal on a pair of monitors that are known to be good.

I can easily pass them on if they are fucked and don't power on properly. Can't turn up a bargain or a grifting a wannabe DJ, KRK's aren't the best but will do for my home studio/desktop rig. I've told the dude the power supply is fucked and needs to be fixed professionally and offered him 100 dollars, he said he's been offered $180 and will contact me if they don't sell. There's a pair of the KRK 5 G4's for the same price on marketplace.

Those daisy chains aren't usually the greatest. They can create a lot of unwanted noise. Isolated power supplies can be found cheap if you're patient enough.

Yeah they don't come up/last very often on the 2nd hand market. Just noticed there's a Gator Power 8 at a local store for $140 I should pick up before it gets snatched.

1) Do it

2) Post the links or the .stl files for the 3d printing.

...In fact

I will start posting .stl files for guitar stuff here.

Honk Hill

kiwifarms.net
I'm new to the thread, but I have been looking into the Godin Sd24 (24 refers to the fret amount). I heard from many people online that they play and are built well but look ugly. The Sd and Sdxt line was made in the 90s to the late 2000s. Handcrafted in Canada and made in the USA, it seems like something that looks like another imported guitar. It's a weird combo between a Les Paul and Strat. Consider getting one but modifying it to have new tech and pickups. Here's an example. Looks like some weird 80s pawn shop guitar like Peavey. Do any of you recommend this?
View attachment 3424393

Welcome fren.

I'm only familiar with Godin classical guitars but they are indeed well built. I'd say go for it, I dig the offset single cut style, would make an interesting project, something a bit different. The headstock does remind me of like a cort or samick so I get what you mean by 80's pawn store axe. It'd look much better with the Gibson style LP/SG headstock imo.

Stilgar of Troon

Facial Fremen-isation Surgery
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 3424393
I have a Godin, a Solidac, and it's one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I've played a few others at varying price points, too. They're not terribly exciting looking, but they play and sound extremely good for the money, and (in my experience) the quality is great.

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
I have a Godin, a Solidac, and it's one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I've played a few others at varying price points, too. They're not terribly exciting looking, but they play and sound extremely good for the money, and (in my experience) the quality is great.
I've never owned a Godin but I've heard they're awesome.

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah they don't come up/last very often on the 2nd hand market. Just noticed there's a Gator Power 8 at a local store for $140 I should pick up before it gets snatched.
Ebay, Reverb, or Guitar Center's used market should be able to provide you with something that will work. I learned the hard way to make sure you get a larger supply than what you think you'll need. Damn pedals seem to multiply on their own.

Xx_Retard Faggot 1488_xX

I miss my old friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have been delay-pilled for awhile, but have been holding off, thinking may be time to bite the bullet soon.

Gonna get the TC Electronic Flashback II. I really wanted the DD-8, but it is like an extra $40and doesn't even come with dotted 8ths, and changing tempo in general is pretty gay.

In the future I would love to get a DL4, however i'm a bit skeptical:
-the OG DL4's are a monster, power supply is annoying, and I hear they really fuck your tone up (any experience on this would be nice to hear).
-The new MK2 DL4 seems like an all around improvement, but i can't help but say listening back-to-back, the OG sounds way better. (any experience, plz share)

May just have to sell a kidney and get a Strymon Timeline.

K-Hole

kiwifarms.net
I would like to elucidate further on the point of truss rods.

Or rather, I'll let someone who knows what they are talking about, elucidate further, on the point of truss rods.

Don't be afraid of them. There's only so much harm you can do. And I've seen guitars bowed to hell and back again like a fucking ski slope, that lived to tell the tale, once their truss rods got put back in to shape. Wood is a very forgiving substance. Usually. Not always. Time plays a part as always.

I had one guitar (a bass in fact) that was seriously bent out of shape. I guess someone decided to screw it up by pushing the tension on the truss rod to the max. It wa like this for about a year or two. Guitar looked like a fucking joker smile in relief. Bastards.

But I took it back to just about flat. It had nothing left to give. But I checked the intonation and it was just about perfect. Ok, maybe not totally perfect. But good enough to play rather than chucking away. I have no idea why the people (who I actually lent the guitar to) did this. Cunts. And they must have taken the trouble to find the right size Allen Key to torsion it up. But they did, and they had the balls to hand it back to me like that. I didn't know until I got it out of the bag I put it in to. Besides, the people who did this had moved on and I don't know where they live now.

Never ever, under any circumstance lend any guitar to anyone. Give them away. Smash them up. Burn them. But don't ever 'lend' with a hope of getting them back. Well, not without some cunt taking the time to find a right-size fit Allen Key and bending the neck until it almost snapped in half.

Still, and this is the major lesson here: that guitar got sorted out and plays like a champ now. It's probably not good enough for sessions and to play on records or in orchestras, but for your average rock band? Fuck yeah. It'll do.

They tried to destroy you. But they couldn't.

Don't be afraid of the truss rod!

Guitars/basses will take a whole lot more punishment than you can imagine. Even malicious punishment, they can overcome.

Uberpenguin

Flightless Bird Agriculturalist
kiwifarms.net
I would like to elucidate further on the point of truss rods.

Or rather, I'll let someone who knows what they are talking about, elucidate further, on the point of truss rods.

Don't be afraid of them. There's only so much harm you can do. And I've seen guitars bowed to hell and back again like a fucking ski slope, that lived to tell the tale, once their truss rods got put back in to shape. Wood is a very forgiving substance. Usually. Not always. Time plays a part as always.

I had one guitar (a bass in fact) that was seriously bent out of shape. I guess someone decided to screw it up by pushing the tension on the truss rod to the max. It wa like this for about a year or two. Guitar looked like a fucking joker smile in relief. Bastards.

But I took it back to just about flat. It had nothing left to give. But I checked the intonation and it was just about perfect. Ok, maybe not totally perfect. But good enough to play rather than chucking away. I have no idea why the people (who I actually lent the guitar to) did this. Cunts. And they must have taken the trouble to find the right size Allen Key to torsion it up. But they did, and they had the balls to hand it back to me like that. I didn't know until I got it out of the bag I put it in to. Besides, the people who did this had moved on and I don't know where they live now.

Never ever, under any circumstance lend any guitar to anyone. Give them away. Smash them up. Burn them. But don't ever 'lend' with a hope of getting them back. Well, not without some cunt taking the time to find a right-size fit Allen Key and bending the neck until it almost snapped in half.

Still, and this is the major lesson here: that guitar got sorted out and plays like a champ now. It's probably not good enough for sessions and to play on records or in orchestras, but for your average rock band? Fuck yeah. It'll do.

They tried to destroy you. But they couldn't.

Don't be afraid of the truss rod!

Guitars/basses will take a whole lot more punishment than you can imagine. Even malicious punishment, they can overcome.
For sure, I've said it here before; these are relatively simple instruments. You can take a guitar pickup and attach it to a plank of wood, suspend some strings over it, touch the two wires coming out of your pickup to your jack, and it'll make sound.
Honestly the idea of someone being afraid of their truss rod is strange to me; what do people do when they put different gauge strings on?

In fact I was just about to come here and mention that I've said stuff about doing things to guitars before in this thread, but this guy
Is the one who I picked a lot of it up from. He's an amazing woodworker, a great luthier, he's pretty charismatic, and he's got a voice like a Canadian bob ross (this video is a random example, he uploads pretty frequently and has for years)

I give the guitar consoomers shit, but I honestly and truly think they're robbing themselves by not focusing more on getting what they can out of what they have. Spending money is gay, the best musicians are the ones who are broke and rig shit together.

Just recently I used an old push switch from a, like, 40 year old circuit board my dad had from when he was learning electrical in college, removed my volume knob on my old squier affinity, soldered that in its place, and bam, a killswitch. Actually the squier was especially well fit for slide because it has individually adjustable saddles.

In fact since I have it right here, here's how it sounds. You can hear the killswitch at the end. I'm getting static, it needs work still.

You get the idea. My playing is, as usual, a bit all over but that's a modified $150 squier with half round 12s run through a DS-1 distortion pedal, no other effects