Guitar and Bass Discussion - Sperg about players that inspire you, gear, share your experiences, etc.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
If you want a really good 'modelling' amp go with the boss katana artist if you got some bucks. It's hardly even a modelling amp it's just a power house and they've come down in price a lot recently. They sell cheaper combos and portable battery powered ones even that sound really great.
View attachment 1161838
That's my first choice and then second I guess is the blackstar and if money is no option the mesa boogie dual rectifier.
Any opinion on the Katana 100? I really do need to get a new amp. I just play at home for fun, so I don't need anything fancy. The Artist certainly isn't super expensive, but if the 100 were a good alternative for cheaper I'd be more inclined to get that.

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any opinion on the Katana 100? I really do need to get a new amp. I just play at home for fun, so I don't need anything fancy. The Artist certainly isn't super expensive, but if the 100 were a good alternative for cheaper I'd be more inclined to get that.
I have a Katana Mini for when I’m out of town and stuff and it’s a great amp. The Katanas are great modeling amps.

Mesh Gear Fox

Play the guitar on the MTV
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of, anyone got a favorite pedal?
I have a JHS Bonsai, which offers 9 different versions of the Tube Screamer. It's all analog, so it's not an emulation rather a recreation of the original tone circuits. The TS has always been my favorite overdrive.

That being said, I also have a Fulltone OCD that I'm quite fond of. Its really versatile and lets the woodiness of my LP come through.

Reactions: Reynard

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone here built their own guitar? Kit or otherwise? I really wanna try it. If only because fucking magnets, how do they work
Never did because I am happy with my current guitars, If you want an electric, Warmouth is the good source for all you need to assemble a guitar. Also a Strat or Tele with a wired pickguard is easy to install.

Speaking of, anyone got a favorite pedal?
I enjoy the Dimebag Wah Pedal. It very versatile with its features and I love to use the wah for various parts.

The Katana is a good amp and you can't go wrong with it. I personally have a Yamaha THR 10 since I travel. It simple to use, nice sound with various amp styles, great for room volume, and portable and durable. Since they have the second models out, you could find the first model for under $200.

dotONION

[Putdowns]
kiwifarms.net
Yeah. I play guitar but any details of my own gear or music would be powerlevelling. Been playing 30 years though, so I'm up for answering questions or whatever.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but other than electronic parts quality (which are user-upgradable) and special materials or crafting techniques (quartersawn maple necks, carved tops, artist signature models etc) what are the differences between "intermediate" guitars in, say the 500-700 area, and guitars that are "performer" or pro models in the 1500+ range?

Never did because I am happy with my current guitars, If you want an electric, Warmouth is the good source for all you need to assemble a guitar. Also a Strat or Tele with a wired pickguard is easy to install.
I like the Warmoth parts, and I might source from them at some point. Currently, I'm preparing to build my first kit, so I just bought the cheapest Strat-alike off eBay. My first guitar is a Strat knockoff as well, so I thought that would be a decent reference for what the finished product should look like. I have a collection of techniques I want to use for the body, and I created a workflow for them that I'm going to test this weekend on some craft basswood.

Hesa

kiwifarms.net
Has anyone here built their own guitar? Kit or otherwise? I really wanna try it. If only because fucking magnets, how do they work
I got one for my nephew last year and helped him built it. Pretty simple really and the quality wasn't that bad. Ends of the fret were pretty rough but a few minutes with a file sorted that.

C.U.N.T.

Cash Up No Tick
kiwifarms.net
I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now, bass for about 10.
Not gigging right now but have been in a few bands of different genres with varying degrees of success (none particularly impressive). I got a bit burnout on gigs and rehearsals and I like just playing and recording at home atm. I still play everyday though.
I've been downsizing my collection to 2 amps, soon to be just one, a thr10, and I'll probably just buy a new small-wattage head and a cabinet if I want to gig again. Had fun making a little tube amp combo that I gave to a friend. Easier than it sounds and a nice weekend project if you're handy with a soldering iron. Lots of plans available online.

Guitar-wise I'm down to 3-4, I'm wary of powerlevelling, sorry. Mainly 2 Gibsons and a Fender. I've got 2 more project guitars that I'm trying to find time to fix/paint/modify etc. and lots of parts sitting around. Made a few kit guitars and partcasters over the years.

Advice for anyone starting is just to enjoy playing, for me simply being able to learn songs that I liked kept my interest up and still does. You're never lonely if you've got a guitar!🥺
Just found this thread too, that's enough sperging for now.
Edit:
Nope, a little more incoming.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but other than electronic parts quality (which are user-upgradable) and special materials or crafting techniques (quartersawn maple necks, carved tops, artist signature models etc) what are the differences between "intermediate" guitars in, say the 500-700 area, and guitars that are "performer" or pro models in the 1500+ range?
Not much really. We live in a great time for guitars in terms of abundance of affordable, quality instruments. The law of diminishing returns starts kicking in around the 1000-1500USD mark, especially used.
A good setup is the most important thing.
I can't stress this enough.
Allocate 100 bucks or so when you buy a guitar (new or used) for a full setup by a decent guitar shop/luthier etc. This will probably include a fret level (not necessarily fret crowning), action height, intonation etc to suit your style and needs. Talk to them so they know what you want. If you don't know tell them you're a beginner and want the guitar to play more easily. Do it, this is important. Your guitar will play and sound a lot better. Even if it's only a cheap one, actually especially if it's only a cheap one it's vital.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
In general, component and build quality, as well as finish, are the difference. As you say, electronics (especially pickups, which tend to be the quality bottleneck in lower-mid tier guitars) can be upgraded easily, but if you have crappy wood you're pretty much stuck with it. Quality control can be a real issue, even with mid-priced guitars. I bought an Ibanez JEM555 a few years ago, not exactly a cheap axe by any means, and it was junk. Uneven frets, poorly-installed electronics, hardware that rusted, poorly installed trem. "Intermediate" guitars don't survive abuse well before something breaks (often trem blocks, tuners, wiring, fret wear, glue coming undone), whereas a $1500 guitar should be more hard-wearing and require fewer repairs, even if you take it on tour. I picked up a $2000 PRS in 2005 and it has never needed any repairs, whereas I have a $500 Ibanez of about the same vintage that I gig regularly and is constantly in and out of the shop with one problem or another.

In general, if you want to get value for money for a cheap guitar, as with cars, buy Japanese. But make sure the guitar is built in Japan - my shitty JEM was built in Korea and the QC standards aren't as good. Good value brands for cheap Japanese guitars include Yamaha, Schechter and Takamine. Be careful with Ibanez, they can vary a lot in quality according to what factory they were built in. The Japanese ones are good, the Korean ones are terrible, the Indonesian ones are better than they used to be but are unpredictable.

I think that above $2000, maybe $3000 at a stretch, you are paying for more than the guitar itself. That's where the best components put together by the best people with the best QC tops out at imo. Above that you're paying a brand premium (Gibsons for example are horribly overpriced), paying for a fancy paint job, an artist endorsement or a custom build.

dotONION

[Putdowns]
kiwifarms.net
In general, component and build quality, as well as finish, are the difference. As you say, electronics (especially pickups, which tend to be the quality bottleneck in lower-mid tier guitars) can be upgraded easily, but if you have crappy wood you're pretty much stuck with it. Quality control can be a real issue, even with mid-priced guitars. I bought an Ibanez JEM555 a few years ago, not exactly a cheap axe by any means, and it was junk. Uneven frets, poorly-installed electronics, hardware that rusted, poorly installed trem. "Intermediate" guitars don't survive abuse well before something breaks (often trem blocks, tuners, wiring, fret wear, glue coming undone), whereas a $1500 guitar should be more hard-wearing and require fewer repairs, even if you take it on tour. I picked up a $2000 PRS in 2005 and it has never needed any repairs, whereas I have a $500 Ibanez of about the same vintage that I gig regularly and is constantly in and out of the shop with one problem or another.

In general, if you want to get value for money for a cheap guitar, as with cars, buy Japanese. But make sure the guitar is built in Japan - my shitty JEM was built in Korea and the QC standards aren't as good. Good value brands for cheap Japanese guitars include Yamaha, Schechter and Takamine. Be careful with Ibanez, they can vary a lot in quality according to what factory they were built in. The Japanese ones are good, the Korean ones are terrible, the Indonesian ones are better than they used to be but are unpredictable.

I think that above $2000, maybe $3000 at a stretch, you are paying for more than the guitar itself. That's where the best components put together by the best people with the best QC tops out at imo. Above that you're paying a brand premium (Gibsons for example are horribly overpriced), paying for a fancy paint job, an artist endorsement or a custom build.
Damn, I was going to ask about Ibanez. I borrowed a friends RG....a newer something HH in that middle tier...for the week and absolutely fell in love with the neck profile and radius. I'm still very new to playing but it felt so much better than the more Gibson-profile and shape on my current guitar.

SickNastyBastard

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a Godin Session Custom with the Fishman Tripleplay installed. I like the clean sound alright, but using my gitdiddle to trigger midi sounds is awesome and the analog to digital tracking on the fishman is awesome.

Spunt

kiwifarms.net
Damn, I was going to ask about Ibanez. I borrowed a friends RG....a newer something HH in that middle tier...for the week and absolutely fell in love with the neck profile and radius. I'm still very new to playing but it felt so much better than the more Gibson-profile and shape on my current guitar.
Ibanez necks are amazing. If you get a good Ibanez you'll have a good time, though it's possible to get over-accustomed to the ultra-thin neck and find it hard to play anything else. Get one made in Japan, and preferably without their terrible own-brand pickups - either get one of the models that comes with DiMarzios or EMGs, or refit them yourself. I have a Japanese-built RG with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and it's an absolute beast. Got it off Gumtree (British Craigslist-type thing) for £200 ($250).

Spunt

kiwifarms.net
There’s actually a really interesting story behind that.
Absolutely. Gibson used to be able to get away with that, back when they made quality guitars and were endorsed by every guitarist worth a damn on the planet. Their brand was worth an extra $1000 on the price of the guitar.

But since about 2000 under the leadership of the stunningly incompetent CEO Henry Juszkiewicz , Gibson's quality has gone completely down the toilet. Any post-millennium Gibson is likely to have a whole host of problems, most notoriously the tendency for the headstock to just fucking snap for no reason because it's not designed or built properly. That's a flaw that I wouldn't accept in a $200 child's beginner guitar, let alone something that costs more than a good used car. Notoriously, even some of the guitars photographed for their website had chipped paint, broken tuners or even bent headstocks. They also wrecked their relationship with their endorsees, and most of their artists jumped ship to PRS or ESP. Slash is almost the only one left.

The ol' "Premium Brand" thing isn't working any more. ESP, PRS MusicMan and others are kicking their asses, and they filed for Chapter 11 in 2018 (giving Juszkiewicz the boot in the process). People want value for money because the music business isn't swimming in cash like it was in the 80s, and frankly a PRS CE-22 is a better guitar than a Les Paul standard in every way and is half the price. And if you did want to spend $4000 on a guitar, you could get a boutique custom guitar that was built to your exact specifications with a beautiful gallery-quality paintjob for that money, and its headstock would stay attached too.

Last edited:

Billy_Sama

kiwifarms.net
I played some really nice Korean made guitars like a Washburn and BC Rich Mockingbird, its just that Korean guitars in the past 20-30 years quality can vary widely. You just going to have to research the particular model and try it out.

I have a Godin Session Custom with the Fishman Tripleplay installed. I like the clean sound alright, but using my gitdiddle to trigger midi sounds is awesome and the analog to digital tracking on the fishman is awesome.
Godin makes some great guitars for the price along with Seagull.

Absolutely. Gibson used to be able to get away with that, back when they made quality guitars and were endorsed by every guitarist worth a damn on the planet. Their brand was worth an extra $1000 on the price of the guitar.

But since about 2000 under the leadership of the stunningly incompetent CEO Henry Juszkiewicz , Gibson's quality has gone completely down the toilet. Any post-millennium Gibson is likely to have a whole host of problems, most notoriously the tendency for the headstock to just fucking snap for no reason because it's not designed or built properly. That's a flaw that I wouldn't accept in a $200 child's beginner guitar, let alone something that costs more than a good used car. Notoriously, even some of the guitars photographed for their website had chipped paint, broken tuners or even bent headstocks. They also wrecked their relationship with their endorsees, and most of their artists jumped ship to PRS or ESP. Slash is almost the only one left.

The ol' "Premium Brand" thing isn't working any more. ESP, PRS MusicMan and others are kicking their asses, and they filed for Chapter 11 in 2018 (giving Juszkiewicz the boot in the process). People want value for money because the music business isn't swimming in cash like it was in the 80s, and frankly a PRS CE-22 is a better guitar than a Les Paul standard in every way and is half the price. And if you did want to spend $4000 on a guitar, you could get a boutique custom guitar that was built to your exact specifications with a beautiful gallery-quality paintjob for that money, and its headstock would stay attached too.
Gibson got too greedy making overpriced guitars and models that only rich six figure salary guys can afford and not most musicians. It didn't help that the last decade had inclusion of features like Robo tuners that were prone to problems. If there was one guitar that can represent dark age of the Juszkiewicz era is the Firebird X. It was a guitar with interesting features but the troublesome quality of the electronics along with typical Gibson quality that most of the guitars were sent back to Gibson after getting returned or not sold. That video of them getting destroyed by an excavator represents the end of the Juszkiewicz era pretty well.

I still like my Les Paul, Its from earlier 2010 Standard but surprising a diamond in the rough because its a great guitar unlike most Gibsons.

The Shadow

STAY SPOOKED
kiwifarms.net
To amend the Gibson stuff- I just want to say- Japanese "lawsuit" guitars are fucking great alternatives to a Gibson Les Paul. I have a Tokai Les Paul (I had to import it because it is pretty much a 1:1 copy of a Les Paul) and I see no reason to play a Gibson when it's a more consistent product that looks and plays identically.

I also really like my Hamer Standard (an Explorer copy, mine is an older US-made model). Probably best known for Ric Nielsen using them, mine now has some more aggressive pickups than the PAF types it came with (Duncan SH-6 Mayhems).

Last edited:

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ve found that the Gibson Les Paul Customs are consistently quality but they’re not at obtainable prices. You shouldn’t need to pay $3000 to get a good Gibson.

While mine is out of commission at the moment, I’m a huge fan of Fender Jaguars. I feel they look cooler, feel better, and sound better than any Stratocaster. I want to get a new one and mod it up tobetter fit the type of music I play.

I have a JHS Bonsai, which offers 9 different versions of the Tube Screamer. It's all analog, so it's not an emulation rather a recreation of the original tone circuits. The TS has always been my favorite overdrive.

That being said, I also have a Fulltone OCD that I'm quite fond of. Its really versatile and lets the woodiness of my LP come through.
I’ve heard good things about the Bonsai and I can personally attest for the OCD as a great overdrive. The OCD makes for a great boost in front of an amp.
I enjoy the Dimebag Wah Pedal. It very versatile with its features and I love to use the wah for various parts.
I’ve never messed with signature wahs. I just have a Vox V847 and it sounds how I personally want a wah to. The only thing I’d replace it for in my opinion is a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore, but I haven’t seen one pop up on Reverb for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Billy_Sama

kiwifarms.net
I’ve never messed with signature wahs. I just have a Vox V847 and it sounds how I personally want a wah to. The only thing I’d replace it for in my opinion is a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore, but I haven’t seen one pop up on Reverb for years.
I have that Vox Wah as well before I got the Dimebag Wah. Its a great wah and I love it since it pairs with my Vox AC 15 amp (I love a lot of amps but I find the AC 15 to be my favorite classic amp for its unique sound and more smaller sound than the AC 30). The boost, wah range, and other tones gives my solos extra spice and flavor which enjoy. I could have been happy with getting a Ibanez Weeping Demon but I manage to get a deal for the Dimebag instead.

I did check out that Snarling Dog Mold Spore that is sweet pedal for just having a "Shaft" tone option.

dotONION

[Putdowns]
kiwifarms.net
I got all my parts in for my Strat build today: ST kit (HSS even, heyy that's pretty good), Wilkinson locking tuners, and I ordered some rando-brand Chinese knockoff of the Seymour Duncan Everything Axe loaded pickguard that - to my genuine surprise - appears to actually be comprised of 3 single-coil sized humbuckers. It was around $40 on eBay, so I figured I'd get what I get for 20% of the SD price or whatever. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how these sound.

Reynard

I regret nothing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have that Vox Wah as well before I got the Dimebag Wah. Its a great wah and I love it since it pairs with my Vox AC 15 amp (I love a lot of amps but I find the AC 15 to be my favorite classic amp for its unique sound and more smaller sound than the AC 30). The boost, wah range, and other tones gives my solos extra spice and flavor which enjoy. I could have been happy with getting a Ibanez Weeping Demon but I manage to get a deal for the Dimebag instead.

I did check out that Snarling Dog Mold Spore that is sweet pedal for just having a "Shaft" tone option.
Yeah. The Mold Spore is ridiculously cool because you can mix the wah and ring mod for some really cool tones that are sort of like electrical throat singing. It's a shame nobody makes a clone because they never come up on Reverb anymore and when they do they're at least $300. And with how little they come up now (practically never) I expect that price to go up even more.

Tags
None